1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

6otM71 Opening Action

Discussion in 'Civ6 - Game Of The Month' started by leif erikson, Sep 14, 2019.

1. leif erikson

leif erikson Game of the Month Fanatic Administrator Supporter GOTM Staff

Welcome to the 6otM71 Opening Actions thread.

STOP - Please do not continue reading this thread until you have completed at least 80 to 100 turns in your game.

This thread is used to discuss the game once you've started playing through your first 100 turns. Apart from normal decency, the only posting restrictions are to please not post videos until the deadline is finished and to use the spoiler tags for screenshots. Here you can post questions related to the game and share your achievements/anger/frustration/victories while you play. Please remember that we are running a family friendly site, so express anger or frustration with this in mind. :)

Please use this thread to discuss your goals for the game and your opening moves through the first 100 turns. Anything after that should be posted in the After Actions thread once you have completed your game.

- How long did you search for a site for your first city? What criteria did you use?
    - Where did you settle your capital city? Your second city?
    - Did you make a plan for achieving a Science VC, what are the major steps you planned to take?
    - What did you research and which policies did you choose and why?
    - What was your build order?
    - Did you try for a Pantheon? Which one did you select and why?
    - How long did it take to find your neighbors? Were they hostile or friendly?
    - How soon did you build a District? Which ones did you prioritize?
    - Did you try to build any Wonders?
    - Did you emphasize expansion? How many cities have you built/captured in the first 100 turns?
    - How quickly did you get Trade Routes working, who did you trade with?
    - How did you play your governance cards, priorities?
    - Which Governors did you choose and why did you choose them?
    - What City-States did you meet and which ones did you cultivate to your side?
    - How were the Barbarians?
    - Any surprises?

Please use spoiler tags for any surprise details you'd like kept hidden. Thanks.

2. WideCoast

WideCoast Warlord

- How long did you search for a site for your first city? What criteria did you use?
    Settled spawn location.
    Second city was Saint John and I was planning on doing district clump with Ottawa there, but Iron decided otherwise
    - Did you make a plan for achieving a Science VC, what are the major steps you planned to take?
    Not really. Focus on getting unis and science CS's. Probs at bombers or smthng I'll sweep someone away and just put science stuff there.
    Resources to districts. Tho I forgot iron, which then ruined my plans.
    Scout,Scout, Settler, Builder, Slinger, Settler, Builder.
    Too long apparently. Was trying to get the free settler one, but it was already taken and I didn't really have a backup plan so I just went with the free builder to get smthng immediately.
    I found Georgia and Australia like t15 or so and the rest around t60. All have been more or less friendly, since I'v been selling Strategic resources and DF for their asking price. They do fight among themselves.
    Too late, campus>commercial>rest.
    Pyramids, but didn't plan it. It just kinda popped to my eye and I thought why not and got it.
    - Did you emphasize expansion? How many cities have you built/captured in the first 100 turns?
    I started a bit slow, but then expanded to 8 cities. Nothing captured yet.
    pretty quickly. I like those roads, which I do lack to two of my cities atm....
    I went with +1g+1f till pantheon and then +gold and +production where I can. Just remembered the +100% campus card which I'm gonna get next.
    Pingala for +c+s and then the +1 charge for worker fella for better workers and faster districts.
    Sout-West science one. Can't remember the name.
    Fine until I started churning out settlers...
    - Any surprises?
    Sherbrookes available coast tiles lol. Was so focused on that NW that I didn't pay attention to glacier. Also that +7 Campus on Hamilton was a sweet suprise.

Not the best place, but if you guys see smthng very very wrong on my games, feel free to point them out :D

Spoiler T116 SS :

Attached Files:

3. Casualty of war

Casualty of war Warlord

upload_2019-9-18_13-55-48.png

upload_2019-9-18_13-56-59.png

Playing other Civs I probably would have settled the Amber, to have it immediately to trade off, but with Canada I wanted the 4 Hammer Tundra Mine. Settled in place, built/Faith purchased 4 early Settlers then a late, post-Turn 100 Settler to go found Silver City. Barbs actually deflected my Ubsunur Hollow Settler to Horse Lake, so I ended up with 24/25 era Score and no Golden Classical for me. Can still have fun but no chance now of a super contender game.

Carthage and Georgia got into a squabble in the Ancient. Can't declare Surprise War but I can sure pick a side in a fight, chose my good friend Dido, swiped a Georgian Settler and took Rustavi. Somewhat similar in the West, I can't declare Surprise War but I sure could get in on India's side of the fight with Australia. I could have wiped out either, but look how good of a job Georgia is doing defending my borders. Everyone hates America.

Lots of tough choices of where to settle, hammers but no food, food but no good spots for Districts. If Maori weren't the stray civ I would have explored more by now but they've almost certainly scooped up all the huts and met the other City-States first. I've been pouring my envoys into Hattusa from the moment we met. This is Turn 1 of the Renaissance.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2019
  4. Eyswein

Eyswein Warlord

T90, entering Medieval Era

Settle In Place with no real search as I liked it; amber next to me and a +3 campus in 2d ring; I did do a pattern search for 2d/3d city sites – due to the map, I figured I’d be crunched in all directions except N, so I initially sent the warrior out to the north in the hopes of finding tribal villages, which was a total bust, but did find a barb encampment; after killing the barb encampment, warrior moved E/S/E until it found the spot where I settled Montreal (and more barbs), while my scout travelled NW/SW/SE – eventually finding my first TV on T16 (just south of my capital) to yield another scout

T1 – Ottawa – Settle in Place
    T24 – Hamilton – 6W,2NW near natural wonder and 2 horses
    T37 – Montreal – 3E, 2 SE on river for +3 campus in 2d ring and spot for Pyramids

1) Initial plan was to try to get into sea as fast as possible in order be first to meet all the CS; once I realized Maori were on the map I stopped prioritizing it, but was already well into coastal conquests
    2) Focusing science, then gold, then culture for now

Science
    : 11-AH (find horses for conquest); 19-Pottery, 28-Writing (place campuses), Mining, Astrology (for a HS to try for religion – failed), Archery, 53-HB Riding (conquest!!)
    Culture: COL, FT, Craft, EE, SW, 54 - MilTrad (for adjacency bonus), Pol Phil
    Policies: Sur/GK, then Dis/UP, Agoge, back to Dis, 54-Man/UP, etc.
    Golden Ages: 50-Monumentality; 90-Monumentality (debated this one as last chance for Comm Hub = Science)

Ottawa
    : Scout-7, Scout-16 via TV, Settler-19, Builder -25, Settler-32 via Pantheon, Mon-33, Campus-39, Slinger-42, Trader-46, Builder-51, Horseman-54,54,56, Gov Plaza-55, etc.
    Hamilton: purchase tiles 24 (tobacco for faith),29 (wheat for farm),32 (horse for pasture); Mon-39, Warrior-43, Campus-52, HS-61, Library-69, etc.
    Montreal: purchase tiles 37,43; Mon-49, Builders x3 in 50s via gold; Campus-57, Horseman-64, Library-65, Pyramids-67, CommHub-69, etc.

Yes, started with God King and tile purchase; Religious Settlements for the free Settler

Georgia on T20, met 4 by T24, 6 by T42, Maori on T81; generally friendly enough until I wasn’t

Campuses early in first 3 cities, then others (1 HS, GP, Comm Hubs)

I built Pyramids; I planned for Temple of Artemis, but it was completed before I started; Colosseum will be my next one in a few turns affecting 7 cities (better placement would have been 8)

- Did you emphasize expansion? How many cities have you built/captured in the first 90 turns?
    13 cities established on T90 with 2 settlers moving
    1) Initial three cities built
    2) Five by eliminating Australia from T57-65 (India and Cree payed me to join in)
    3) Five from chopping settlers in Melbourne with Magnus; 3 already settled, 2 settlers moving
    4) I was thinking India next, but they used a Varu against Australia, so decided to head to the other side; America had captured both Georgia cities and was in the process of attacking the Phoenicians, so I joined with the Phoenicians and Cree was nice enough to join us also
    5) Two from America – former Georgia cites; plan to sue for peace in 4 turns as they are just too powerful with Swordsmen on their own continent, but initial scouting showed them all up in Phoenicia area and no protection near the cities
    6) Next up will be Phoenicians – ideally just join America if I can make peace with them and they are still at war; cities captured by America are just flipping back (Byblos, Sidon soon), so they will be devastated by the time I get them

First one in 40s was Montreal-Hamilton; now two with Montreal-Ottawa (for growth/production) & one to Hattusa (for the quest)

43- Liang (extra builder charge); 49 – Magnus (chopping); 61,67- Pingala (culture bonus); 72-Magnus (no population loss for mass settler chopping); next will be Pingala for science bonus

Hattusa only so far; T64 before getting any envoys with them, T71-Suz; T90 just lost Suz due to America matching me in envoys; plan to get it back

Not horrible, but not easy; plethora of ships north of Australia area as the ships protected the encampment; darn ships kept attacking Hobart after I captured it

- Any surprises?
    1) America wiping out Georgia
    2) The Maori – this actually made this one of my favorite map setups!! Ruined my plans, but that is a key component of the fun!

Attached Files:

5. FJC

FJC Chieftain

My comments after 100 turns.

I settled in place, decent starting tiles and a few +3 campus locations nearby.
    Capital in place, second to the east. As Georgia was already settling in my direction. I also wanted to get my hands on the silver and salt.
    Not really, I wanted to get a bunch of cities out early - but I was a bit flaky with my strategy meaning I was slower to get them out as I would have liked, leaving me behind in other areas.
    I started with mining due to the stone and amber in the capital. Then into horseback riding as I correctly thought the plains to the west would have multiple copies. I wanted to get bronze working quickly to reveal iron before my settling spree but it did take longer than i wanted
    Scout, Slinger, Builder
    I did go for a pantheon. By the time I got mine, religious settlements was gone so I settled for God of Craftsmen due to the abundance of horses. Several sources of iron nearby was a bonus.
    I received a scout from a TV so quickly found Georgia, Australia and Dido. The Cree and India found me, then I found America. I didnt meet the Maori until about turn 100.
    First district was a campus in the capital. I prioritised campuses and commercial hubs in the capital and my second city. I had 2 cities near the horses and lakes to the west and was prioritising aqueducts and industrial zones. I'm a bit obsessed at the moment with trying to maximise industrial zone adjacency bonuses.
    No
    I did emphasise expansion, I got Magnus with his promotion to avoid burning a population and pumped settlers out of my capital. I have 8 by turn 100. I have really neglected military units and was never in place to take advantage of any vulnerable neighbours.
    Not quickly at all. I got 1 as soon as I could for internal roads. But i only got my second at turn 90. They are currently supporting growth in my newer cities in the tundra.
    God King until pantheon, then switched the settler bonus and builder bonuses.
    Magnus for the settler promotion. Then Reyna to grab some land in border cities and Pingala for science boost.
    I only meet Huttasa in the first 100 turns - got to 3 envoys for the library bonus
    As i mentioned i didn't focus on military units and thus found myself swarmed at one stage by barbarians. There were a few camps in the tundra causing minor nuisance, but then one spawned next to the iron close to my capital and 3rd city to the west. It quickly spawned 3 swordsmen and I only had an archer and warrior at the time. Lost my trader in process.
    - Any surprises?
    No one has been hostile to me yet - with 4 different civs bordering me I've been expecting someone to declare war on me, but its been peaceful as of yet.

6. kcd_swede

kcd_swede Jag är Viking!½ GOTM Staff

-No one has been hostile to me yet - with 4 different civs bordering me I've been expecting someone to declare war on me, but its been peaceful as of yet.-

That is THE main feature of playing as Canada. They need to denounce and wait 10 turns if they want to attack you, so you can and should use that to any and all advantage you can get.:smoke:

7. FJC

FJC Chieftain

Of course! I had forgotten that side of the equation, as I was playing I was only thinking about how I couldn't declare a surprise war!

kcd_swede likes this.
  8. Arnold_T

Arnold_T Prince

First 6OTM game in a while. thought I would try out Canada. seems like a slower game now that they nerfed all my favourite shortcuts and taken away my favourite pantheon! :)

It's going pretty well. I wiped out Australia, and started to work on India, but only took two cities before he showed up with five elephants. made peace, and consolidating my position now.
    I'm in the leading in score on my continent. that Kupe guy is ahead of me, but he must have his own continent all to himself with tons of City States.

pic of my status at turn 100 https://steamuserimages-a.akamaihd....258/9C4B348D92B86B9DBBA0BAF751BDB6B00470128A/

just settled in place. didn't want to think about it too much. nice spots for Holy Site and Campus, but it's a little lacking in food and housing

just settled in place. scout found a nice spot for second city east of capital. wanted a spot with good production, and nice spots for Holy Site and Campus

The usual plan to dominate first, research later.

focused on military tech first to enable successful warring

I think scout, Settler, slinger

yes, really wanted to get the Religious Settlements pantheon and got it. Mainly for the free settler, but the faster border expansion is nice too, though I'm not sure it is still in effect after your city is converted to another religion.

quickly prioritized Holy Sited to generate faith for the Pantheon. faith generated also can be used to buy builders in the Golden Ages to come.

not initially, but went for Pyramids quite late and got it.

yes, at ten cities now. built three (including the capital) and captured 7 (five from Australia, and two from India).

just one. nice that it's a Science CS!

not bad, nice training for my military. and good for era points.

- Any surprises?
    the terra map. I haven't played it before. is it always so weirdly balanced with almost all civs on one continent, and almost all city states on another?

9. leif erikson

leif erikson Game of the Month Fanatic Administrator Supporter GOTM Staff