1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

6otM73 After Action

Discussion in 'Civ6 - Game Of The Month' started by leif erikson, Oct 14, 2019.

1. leif erikson

leif erikson Game of the Month Fanatic Administrator Supporter GOTM Staff

Welcome to the 6otM73 After Actions Report thread. In this thread you can post the results of your game. Please state victory date and score (preferably in the post title), as recorded in the Hall of Fame, and the most important: your path to glory!

STOP - Please do not continue reading this thread until you have completed and submitted your game.

Please attached your victory save to your post.

- How many cities did you settle, or capture?
    - What did you prioritize for research and policies?
    - What did you build for an Army and Navy and how did it change?
    - Did you use your UU/UB? Were they useful?
    - What was your most useful unit?
    - Was diplomacy useful? How?
    - Were City-States helpful? Did any other civ give you a hard time about city-states?
    - Did religion play a role in your game?
    - What was your strategy, how did you gain your Culture VC?
    - How many Dark Ages and/or Golden Ages did you have? Did you have a strategy?
    - What effect did Loyalty have on your settling or conquering? How did you mitigate its effects?
    - Any surprises you ran into, how did you deal with it?
    - Did you enjoy your game?

Please use spoiler tags for any surprise details you'd like kept hidden. Thanks.

Players are encouraged to provide feedback on the game. Some players like to replay the game, and although we will not record the results from a replay, you can still post your new experiences (please state if the game is a replay). Please refrain from posting videos until the deadline for submission is over.

Knightfall likes this.
  2. Chrumo

Chrumo Chieftain

CV 210 Score 1014

I was quite pleased with my game, until I realised that cultural victory requires faith - I built my first Holy Site at turn 170.
    Great game though!

Spoiler Turn 210 :

20191018042320_1.jpg

I settled 9 cities. 6 on our continent and 3 on satelite islands. Captured 2 central cities from Brazil.
    As for research, I got harbors and land-embark ASAP. Then straight to Computers.
    No particular focus on civics, just got everything.
    2 warriors and 2 galleys. Maybe one swordsman. That's about it.
    Extremely useful. The 50% settler boost is insane, the galleys were great on the early seas, 100% loyality on the main continent is absurdly strong for forward settling. Great civ overall.
    Galleys: I managed to scout the entire map with 2 of them, and thanks to that I got to befriend a lot of civs/CSs.
    -Was diplomacy useful? How?
    Indeed. Sold all the abundant amenities for early cash, and then continued to get good deals on useless Dimplomatic Favor. Managed to uphold 4 alliances.
    - Were City-States helpful? Did any other civ give you a hard time about city-states?
    I levied both central City States sometime during medieval age, and got to control about 7 warriors and 4 archers. Managed to take 2 cities off of Brazil for measly 280 gold each. Wonderful.
    No, haven't tried it, since the difficulty level is fairly high.
    I got very solid economy, no research, no faith, and way too much culture. In the end it came down to spamming Rock Bands.
    Regular, Golden, Regular, Golden. I did my best to get Goldens, but well, you can't always get what you want.
    - What effect did Loyalty have on your settling or conquering? How did you mitigate its effects?
    :)
    These morons at the U.N. banned Great Writers for 30 turns around turn 150. I don't even want to think how big of a setback that was for me.
    Very much! Great challange, it is my first cultural victory so I am quite happy with myself (next time I will build faith though...)

Attached Files:

3. Tarry

Tarry Chieftain

Cultural Victory, Turn 262, Score 1558

Settled 13 (2 very late on), Captured 2 from culture.

I beelined harbours and political philosophy.
    Then I just tried to follow eurekas but went for higher level governments as soon as I could

Build a couple of warriors and slingers. Built a few biremes, kept my sea-going fleet more up to date than the land army.
    I mostly neglected the military as I played a peaceful game all the way

Yes, the cothon was super cheep and gave me settlers a plenty.

As I was mostly peaceful, probably the Bireme.

Yes. I traded away everything for money to build my economy.
    Made friends with everyone at every possible occasion except kupe, who disliked me throughout the whole game, when I encountered him I didn't have 25 gold for a delegation and never recovered from that.
    Lots more foreign trade routes than normal to keep good relations- I often find the food/production of internal route too tempting, but not this game.

very important. I ended as Suze of everything except the holy ones (which were conquered) and Akkad - which I didn't care about.
    Cardiff was very important to me to provide free power and it took a bunch of envoys and spys spreading rumours about the other civs to gain control.

I took growth for +1 settlers, then ignored religion, the others were so far ahead I had no chance to found a religion as I focused on harbours.
    building a few holy sites to generate faith for monumentality and later on for Rock Bands, which were essential for victory.

early expansion from settlers, then build theatre squares and their associated buildings everywhere. Back it up with holly sites and a smattering of campus, commercial and industrial districts.

I alternated normal and golden ages.

Loyalty was a non issue for me. I got lucky founding ugarit on the dead sea, my scout finding that early on, then i grabbed land and backfilled. expanded east to the Southern and Easten large island.

Getting those last few civs was hard work, it's a real grind.
    7 of my first 8 rock bands died on their first performance. Only 2 bands made more than 1 performance. With a 36% chance of disbanding WTF?

Yes, but the final 50 turns of grinding grew tedious as it always does.
    Normally I go aggressive and kill the largest competitor, but this time I was 100% peaceful.

Attached Files:

4. Monthar

Monthar Deity

Culture win turn 314, score 1596

This game was brutal. Brazil, while already at war with Norway, declared a surprise war on me at took my capital right after I founded my 2nd city. I had to take religious settlements pantheon just to get another city out so I could recover and prepare to retake my capital. Just as I was getting my troops ready a barb camp spawned in the snow, scouted my new capital and sent several swords and archers that I had to deal with first. I ended up having to make peace with Brazil. All of this put me in a dark age.

After taking care of the barbs and finally getting my military rebuilt again, Harald was nice enough to get a military emergency against Brazil to retake my capital up for vote, which we passed. Due to a barb camp on the other side of Tyre constantly pumping out horse units and skirmishers, I had a rough time completing the emergency, but I managed to retake my capital on the last turn of the emergency. Unfortunately this was on turn 150 and had significantly delayed everything. In the midst of all this I entered a heroic age.

I did manage to get a religion with Coral Music and Religious Colonization.

Once I had my original capital back, I got out a few more cities, but got sidetracked with building up my cities and didn't settle nearly enough, which further delayed my victory. This is one of my main weaknesses that I've been working on.

I only recently stepped up from Emperor and had many practice games that went much better than this one. Even though my early game was pretty catastrophic, I think I did quite well in not only recovering but pulling off the victory.

Attached Files:

arthur486 likes this.
  5. kcd_swede

kcd_swede Jag är Viking!½ GOTM Staff

CV t337 score 1867 (1917AD)
    Brutal and very slow/boring at the end ... had to accumulate 566 tourists to win. Never much in doubt that I would win, though. Blew it early by slow failed war with Brazil that I just couldn't give up on. Killed Norway very early, and one other I forget who. But bogged down against Brazil. All the warring meant no Open Borders much of the game.

I did a first, though... moved my capitol offshore just to see what would happen, but learned that colonialism bonus goes by your "original" capitol's continent... so that was a waste.

I'll be glad to play the next at a lower level, for sure.

Attached Files:

6. Vlad Dracula

Vlad Dracula Warlord

Loss on 375.Score 1227.Sweden won by science.I had 15 cities 12 settled 3 loyalty.Had some early barb issues and then a war with Pedro right after.Had lots of the UB which helped.Diplomacy was pretty good had alliances with Harald and Elanor for the last half of the game or so.I also traded lots of great works to get the theming bonuses.I nabbed all of the culture city states.AI had a bad habit of conquering them which caused a few emergencies.I didn't have a religion.My faith production was pretty low until late game and I did not know the power of rock bands which likely cost me the game.Even though I lost it was fun.I don't think I've won a game on any level higher than prince so lasting as long as I did made me happy.

Attached Files:

7. kcd_swede

Yeah... I found that Rock Bands are weird... they die early giving a few hundred, or they last a long time and give tens of thousands each time. I found a big difference was a Dark Age special policy that bumps up their yeilds by 100%, and max out any cheap purchase and bonuses for rock bands you can get. When you get to pick the promotion, 2 levels on a given type of spot is preferable to plus-tourism yield on another... anything that helps them survive longer is the key. The longer they live, the more promo's and thus the more yields. One-hit-Wonders are not great rock bands.:band:

8. arthur486

arthur486 Warlord

CV @ Turn 215 - aka The Moai Republic aka This did not go as planned.

Plan was "simple". It always is:

• Scout for city states that give culture buildings (e.g. Rapa Nui) or La Venta, rush Flight and win the game
    • In case that does not work out, go for GWAM and Rock Bands.
    What happened:
    • I forego getting a Pantheon, as there was no good faith source around the capital.
    • I attack Brazil and take a few of their cities with early swordsmen. Things do not go exactly as planned due to a barb camp that goes into invasion mode against the capital. Fun times :borg:
    • Manage to get Divine Spark around turn 80 by pillaging a Plantation!
    • Make peace with Brazil, leaving them with 2 cities, in the idea of diminishing grievances and getting open borders with everyone later.
    • Find Rapa Nui, so the Moai plan is on!
    • Brazil triggers a military emergency with Norway against me for one of their cities. This is bad, as I cannot make peace and grievances cause everyone to be mad at me.
    • The first world congress decides to award 0 points for Great Writers for the next 30 turns. Guess who was counting on them the most? :undecide:
    • Manage to get to Flight around T160 (super late) and start plopping down Moais.
    • The third world congress also cancels Great Writer points. You've got to be kidding me!
    • I make trade routes and open borders with everyone, playing nice. Meanwhile, my entire empire is a bunch of statues.
    • Win comes T215, with 800+ tourism, most from Moais, followed by Writings and Art.
    Very instructive game, one of the times when things really went out of control.

Attached Files:

Fluphen Azine likes this.
  9. Half Nelson

Half Nelson Ancient Mariner Supporter

Carthage cultural victory t226. 1292 points.

Not played 6OTM for some time but thought I would dip in again now that nights are drawing in. I used the Cothon settler bonus for early expansion, favoured by lack of close neighbours, alongside biremes for exploration. I avoided religion so tourism did not start to build until I completed Colosseum and brought my first GW online around turn 100. Brazil started to attack my allied CS so war was declared and no quarter given. After conquering Brazil, I moved further N to conquer England. These wars gave me several Wonders and theatre squares with buildings plus Great Works. I ceased warring at that point and pushed culture and tourism through trade, OB and Rock Bands (2 headline artists and numerous no-hopers). Netherlands were allies for much of the game; they were in almost constant war with Sweden and Maori (almost conquering the latter) which kept all three from focussing on Cultural victory.

Carthage are a useful generalist civilization and I like the cothon as well as the Government Plaza bonuses. I didn’t manage to find any top-notch spots for cothons but I did develop a +16 hammer IZ in my capital (fed by aqueduct and dam) and a pleasing trans-continental canal in a city SW of the capital.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 9, 2019
  10. kcd_swede

:worship:

11. leif erikson

12. ChrisFromLux

ChrisFromLux former 'Misfit'

1936AD - T357 - Science Defeat to Sweden

Settled 9 cities on the mainland and 4 on the neighboring islands. A Norwegian city by the Dead Sea quite early, and a Dutch city quite late, rebelled and joined the Phoenician Empire.
    Everything that helped Culture early on, and Tourism later on
    Mainly Warriors, Slingers/Archers and Biremes.
    Only built a few more units later when I expected a DOW from Norway, that never happened, and Tanks/Modern Armor, Helicopters and Infantry later, when Brazil refused to friendship for some turns
    Birmes not really, but the Cothon was useful, as it allowed my to settle my first 11 cities quite fast. But still not around T100 ...
    Hmmm, Builders or Rock Bands? Or do Great People count? :lol:
    I was able to buy quite a lot of Great Works, to get most Museums themed. For the rest, I was friendly with everyone, and later on, I had constant Open Borders and Trade Routes with everyone, and I had Alliances with the 5 strongest Civs, as I suspected Brazil on planning to DOW me.
    Most close City States were captured by Brazil; only 7 City States survived, and I was Suzerain of 4 of them. Had more City States earlier, but when they were attacked, with no Army and a plan for a peaceful game, I didn't react.
    No
    Well, the plan were many themed Museums, and lots of Music and Writings. Mixed in some Wonders, Seaside Resorts and some other buildings.
    That part of the plan worked, and I was producing by far the most Culture and the most Tourism.
    But Sweden was a Beast; when I met her, not much was left of Kupe already, and she was at war with Spain. She took Madrid a few turns later and eliminated Spain from the game; that was quite a set-back.
    Later on she went to nearly eliminating the Netherlands as well, with her Giant Death Roboters, but she achieved a Science Victory earlier.
    I was producing 903 Culture and 1121 Tourism at the end, but she was producing some 900 Culture as well, so I always was some 100 Tourists short of winning.
    Came closer with Rock Bands, but then she censored Music.
    I tried to switch to a Diplomatic Victory, to at least win the game, but I started too late with the Statue of Liberty and lost it to Norway, and Kristina won 7 turns before the World Congress that would have allowed me normally win the Diplomatic Victory :undecide:
    2 Golden Ages and 1 Dark Age; no Strategy here though
    No Loyalty problems at all
    Except for how strong Sweden was when I met her, no ...
    Yes, despite my loss, I enjoyed the game ... it showed me that Immortal is not impossible :cool:

13. Minou

Minou Prince

Cultural Victory T204

Thanks GOTM team, this was an incredibly fun game! This was a game to knock the rust off as I have not played a Cultural Victory game in several months. Ever so slightly missed my T200 goal, but did at least manage to finish the game before the Nov 15th deadline.

My general strategy when I saw all the Cultural City states was to beeline Cold War. When I met Rapa Nui, I decided to beeline Flight as well but since I met them late I never really had much science - only two Campus in fact. So Fez helped a TON. I tallied 1960 science rewards from cities I converted with Missionaries, and probably gained a another couple hundred from border cities passively converting which I did not track.

Early Game:

Religious Settlements Pantheon, took Amani first to get Suzerain of Kumasi early, narrowly missed out on a Classical Golden Age. Got up a few high-adjacency Holy Sites. Saved up my gold to levy Kumasi (T57), Fez (T61), and Vilnius (T69) and rush Brazil and Norway, capturing 2 cities, 1 Settler, 2 Builders, pillaging a few hundred faith and gold, and most critically 91 culture (huge in early game). My only losses in the war were a Trader and some levied Warriors (which would have been given back after 30 turns anyway).

Founded a religion on T63 with Choral Music and Religious Unity. I used the pillage faith to pump out missionaries, which in turn were a major source of science thanks to Fez and scored me five crucial early game envoys thanks to Religious Unity. I made one of my worst moves of the game T79 when I walked two missionaries up to Fez, who Norway had stolen as Suzerain, thinking I could convert the city for an envoy to make them neutral again. I forgot about zone of control and both were killed which was quite the setback. Norway struck again with envoy games, un-levying my Vilnius army exactly one turn before I would have conquered their largest city (T90). That was probably the biggest overall setback as by the time I could re-invade they had Crossbows and it thus took about 50 extra turns to get the city.

Spoiler :

levy melee.jpeg
    Massive melee of levied troops invading Brazil.

Mid Game:

Pen Brush and Voice Golden Age (T87) to help with Cold War push, followed by Monumentality (T127) to chain together faith-purchased Settlers+Ancestral Hall+ Feudalism. Most of my cities simply used their Ancestral Hall Builder to chop a Theater Square and Amphitheater, since the latter were worth 12cpt with City State bonuses, and then filled out their land with Moai. Hit 100cpt on T105, 200cpt on T124, and 300cpt on T138.

There was one funny play when a Maori Settler wandered by one of my empty cities unescorted despite being at war, and I was able to buy a Scout and catch it the next turn. World Congress declared two Military Emergencies against me which gave me 400DF. I used the giant stockpile of DF to buy 4 Great Works of Writing from culture-leading Netherlands. I never bothered capturing any more cities after my first set of wars, but still declared a few pillaging wars to stockpile faith/gold over the course of the game. I ended up with about 4000f from pillaging, but definitely stopped too early since I could have used at least twice that amount when I hit Rock Bands.

Spoiler :

scout catch.jpeg
    Will the AI ever learn to escort Settlers?
    late pillaging.jpeg
    This Horseman pillaged about 10 times before England sent a unit to try and stop him. In fact he pillaged at such a relaxed pace that the Industrial Zone was fully repaired by the time he finished up the Holy Site.

Late Game:

Finally hit Cold War on T161 which felt shamefully slow with all the Cultural City states. Coincidentally, I hit Flight the next turn. I lost focus on what I was researching after hitting Cold War and ambled to Social Media T196 and Environmentalism T201 very late, since I mistakenly thought the game would be over about 20 turns earlier. I had ~3500 faith in the bank at this stage and purchased 6 Rock Bands immediately and bought another 6 from pillaging and natural faith (~220fpt) before the game was out. Part of it may have been slightly bad luck as 6 of my 12 bands disbanded after their first concert. Meanwhile I spammed Moai like there was no tomorrow eventually hitting >300 tourism per turn from them alone.

Spoiler :

pennisula.jpeg
    Half of my Rock Bands headed west to this convenient peninsula where Maori built a Harbor, Theater Square and Kilwa for them to play at in rapid succession.

The results:
    Band 1: ??? promotion, plays at Theater Square for 500 and instantly disbands.
    Band 2: Surf Rock promotion, plays at Harbor for 500, then Theater Square for 362, then Harbor for 1500 before disbanding.
    Band 3: Music Festival promotion, plays for 750 at Eye of Sahara, then 1250 at Mahaboudhi Temple, then 3500 at Mt. St. Michel, then after ~20 turns traveling plays finally reaches Great Library and plays for 4750 before disbanding.
    Band 4: Surf Rock promotion, plays for 350 at Harbor, then plays at another Harbor for 1375. Sadly killed by barbarians while crossing the ocean!
    Band 5: My only Goes to Eleven band the whole game but it sure counted: plays at Theater Square for 187 (stupid of me to risk them), then after a long trip across the ocean plays at Terra Cotta Army for 1500, gains Cover Art promotion, plays at Great Library for 3750, and finally plays at Chichen Itza for 4750 before disbanding. All of the Wonder concerts were in range of Sweden, Maori, Spain, and Netherlands so total tourism was ~25,000 lifetime.
    Band 6: Music Festival promotion, plays at Eye of Sahara for 2500, then plays at Mahaboudhi Temple for 1750 before disbanding.
    Band 7: Roadies promotion, plays at Theater Square for 187 and instantly disbands.
    Band 8: ??? promotion, plays at Kilwa for 2000 and instantly disbands.
    Band 9: Space Rock promotion, plays at Campus for 5500 and instantly disbands.
    Band 10: Cover Art promotion, plays at Kilwa for 2500, plays at Harbor for 467 before disbanding.
    Band 11: ??? promotion, plays for 2000 at Kilwa and instantly disbands.
    Band 12: Glam Rock promotion, plays for 500 in Theater Square and instantly disbands.

Spoiler :

light genius.jpeg
    To illustrate the randomness of Rock Bands my best band "Light Genius" shown here at their farewell tour at Chichen Itza racked up about one hundred times as much tourism as my worst band.

Rapa Nui plus Fez were truly amazing and I don’t think I fully tapped into their potential. If I could start over I think I would just go all in on Moai/Flight as early as possible - I feel like T150 was possible with better planning.
    Spoiler :

Moai.jpeg

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 14, 2019
  14. Minou

Minou Prince

A break-down of where the tourism came from overall:

Rock Bands (43%): Rock Bands were great overall but wildly inconsistent in strength. My worst band earned only 187 tourism but the single Goes to Eleven band I managed to get produced 25,000.

Moai (31%): Absolutely amazing. On T161 when I hit Flight I had enough Moai for 79 base tourism, which grew to 346 by the end of the game. I definitely did not prioritize spamming these enough pre-flight and ended spending tons of gold buying forest tiles outside my borders just to chop them to allow more Moai adjacent.

Books (9%): Recruited first three on T108, T134, and T147. Annoyingly, the World Congress banned Great Writer points on T148 when I was producing ~20 per turn and so I did not get another until T186. Printing Press was delayed until T172 since I beelined Flight.

Wonders (6%): I only built Pyramids (73), Petra (114), and Colosseum (somehow still available T153). I did not capture any wonders, in some cases intentionally leaving wonder-building AI cities alone for future Rock Band concert sites.

Artifacts (5%): Built first Archeology Museum T140 and a second a bit later. Thanks to swapping, one ended up themed. The game went on longer than I planned so I probably should have built one or two more instead of running projects in my larger cities.

Holy City (3%): Slightly better than usual since the Fez bonus encouraged me to convert a few AIs.

Art (2%): Recruited 3 Great Artists but mostly late in the game and I only ever bother building one Art Museum.

Music (<1%): Recruited 2 Great Musicians but only ever had the Palace slot for 1 work.

Spoiler :

Here is a chart of tourism per turn by source with Rock Bands excluded (since they apply a burst the value is approximately 1/7th one of these sources since each is multiplied by 7 AIs. "Flight" in this case is only Moia, which really dominate as the game moves on.
    chart 1.jpg

And here is total culture earned each turn, including Rock Bands. This really shows how much of an impact a single Goes to Eleven Band can make.
    chart 2.jpg

Two random lessons learned this game:
    Apostles can be killed by barbarians at sea. I somehow never realized this since they walk right through barbarians on land.
    Swapping between Art and Archaeology Museums cancels existing production. I had an Archeology Museum with ~100 production invested and switched to an Art Museum just to check build time, and when I swapped back it was at 0.

Attached Files:

kcd_swede likes this.
  15. tarafran

tarafran Warlord

CV 222
    Settled 10 cities ,peaceful game shooting for a fast religion to get martyr apostle.
    Thanks for the game

Attached Files:

16. leif erikson

This game is closed for submissions as time has run out.

You may continue to post here and attach saves if you wish. Results will include games above this post.

17. Fivethumbs

Fivethumbs Chieftain

CV t275

Enjoyed the game very much:)

Played all the Dido's strengths backwards. Not a single settler embarked.
    Masterplan was to conquer a civ or two before meeting anyone else, then go peaceful. Initial warrior+archer force lost to barbs. Luckily new wave of swordsmen were enough to take most of the Brasil + all of Norway. After that allied everyone for long time except Brasil.

For culture built ~8 museums; 5 x national parks (pillaged whole England for thousands of faith in protectorate war) (yes, it was a waste of faith, but at that time I didn't know rock bands mechanic exist); later full continent of Maois, ski resorts, for 1k tourism total and still was trailing horribly from Sweden domestic tourists.

At one point thought I would never catch up Sweden, who just steamrolled other continent, wiped Spain, and built new wonder every 5 turns so bought few GDRs & started taking Sweden cities, but luckily few rock bands leveled up successfully and sealed the deal in dark age + flower power.

Lots of pleasant surprises in game mechanics - powering up cities, 1000-year floods, rock'n'roll etc :)

upload_2019-12-6_21-2-7.png