1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

6otM74 Opening actions Report

Discussion in 'Civ6 - Game Of The Month' started by Knowtalent, Nov 1, 2019.

1. Knowtalent

Knowtalent Emperor GOTM Staff

Welcome to the 6otM 74 Opening Actions thread.
    STOP - Please do not continue reading this thread until you have completed at least 80 to 100 turns in your game.
    This thread is used to discuss the game once you've started playing through your first 100 turns. Apart from normal decency, the only posting restrictions are to please not post videos until the deadline is finished and to use the spoiler tags for screenshots. Here you can post questions related to the game and share your achievements/anger/frustration/victories while you play. Please remember that we are running a family friendly site, so express anger or frustration with this in mind. :)
    Please use this thread to discuss your goals for the game and your opening moves through the first 100 turns. Anything after that should be posted in the After Actions thread once you have completed your game.
    - Where did you settle your cities?
    - What did you research and which policies did you choose and why?
    - What was your build order?
    - How soon did you build a District? Which ones did you prioritize?
    - How did you place your districts?
    - Did you emphasize expansion? How many cities have you built/captured in the first 100 turns?
    - How did you play your governance cards, priorities?
    - What City-States did you meet and which ones did you cultivate to your side?
    - Were your neighbors peaceful?
    - Any surprises?
    Please use spoiler tags for any surprise details you'd like kept hidden. Thanks.

2. Monthar

Monthar Emperor

I finally remembered to stop at turn 100 to make one of these posts. I currently have 12 cities (four of them Zulu) and 2 settlers heading out.

The Zulu thought a surprise war was a good idea. However I was already suzerain two city states and with a couple of trade deals with Khmer and Teddy I was able to levy their troops. Before the war was over I also levied troops from Kabul and Mexico City. This left me free to continue expanding my empire and building up infrastructure. When I was close to wiping out the Zulu I got Teddy to join me in the war. Once I got all but their last city, which Teddy was attacking, I made peace taking 20 diplo favor from the Zulu. A few turns later Teddy finished off the Zulu.

I founded the religion of Culture Crabs with Coral Music and Religious Colonization. All my founded cities have my religion, but I still need to spread it to the Zulu cities I captured.

I currently have friendships with Teddy, Khmer, and China. The Cree denounced me due to grievances from the Zulu war, because they were friends.

So far it's been a fun game.

3. marktheshark

marktheshark Chieftain

I've been playing higher difficulty games more often recently, so I kept realizing this was Prince and that I could get away with a lot more and be more aggressive!

I settled in place and set my second city South on the big bend in the river. Third city on the lake to the east, 4th northwest on the coast. I was trying to go very expansive at first, pumping out settlers. I realized the terrain might be slowing me down, then I started pumping out wonder's. Got Artemis, Oracle, pyramids, Machu Picchu, and hanging gardens so far. With some great theatre squares to go with them.

Only had 5 cities at T80ish so I decided to denounce and formal war with Khmer, levying Mohenjo-Daro and exclusively using their army (since I had just my original warrior still!) to take two of their small 4 city empire. Just made peace with them, since my army is small.

Have only met Khmer, America, Zulu, and China so far, sending delegations and befriending as I meet them. Haven't really explored too far yet. I do have great infrastructure so far and an well on my way for a culture victory for sure!

Lots of fun!

4. leif erikson

leif erikson Game of the Month Fanatic Administrator Supporter GOTM Staff

5. A_Modern_Major_General

A_Modern_Major_General Chieftain

I'm only on turn 70 right now, but having finished exploring the starting continent it seemed like the time to put this post together before getting to the far continent and acquiring spoilers. Normally I only play on Deity and have a serious problem with perfectionism; so having a good reason for a prince game where I have to accept the minor mistakes has led to a very fun and relaxing game.

As for how things are going so far...

I no longer know any other civilizations. ;)

- Where did you settle your cities?
    In order: Settled the capital in place, East along the river south of the citrus, West next to the river and stone, North by the lake just north of the coffee, Further north at the top end of that lake, South across the river from the sheep on the jungle, Further east just north of the tobacco. I also captured 3 settlers which were founded near the points of capture.

- What did you research and which policies did you choose and why?
    For research I went for Animal Husbandry, Mining, Bronze Working (These were to find strategic resources), and Iron Working (This was to upgrade city state warriors), after that I just filled out with Irrigation and other district techs, and am now teching toward Cartography after I finish my current detour for Apprenticeship to get some extra production.

For civics I went straight for Early Empire to get the governor title for Amani so that I could start levying city states for expansion. After that I went to political philosophy to get Oligarchy for the combat boost and branched out for flanking bonuses, and extra envoys.

- What was your build order?
    Scout, Scout, Settler, Settler, Settler, Settler, Settler, Holy Site, Builder, Appadana in the capital. Scouts to find city states early and the settlers to expand. Second city was Monument, Settler, Switch to Holy Site, back to settler. Other cities were just one holy site and two monuments. Currently pretty much everything is building theater squares.

- How soon did you build a District? Which ones did you prioritize?
    I got holy sites early for religion and faith production and to fulfill a couple important city state quests that were needed to enable city state levies.

- How did you place your districts?
    I placed the holy sites early in excellent adjacency locations, and the theater squares across rivers from the city center for the production boost, except for the one that I messed up with and put on the wrong side of the river. (This sort of thing is why I have trouble with replaying turns usually.)

- Did you emphasize expansion? How many cities have you built/captured in the first 100 turns?
    Yes. I built 6 settlers, but most of my expansion was using levied city states. Once I had Amani I levied a city state every 5 turns for the next 40 turns. This took almost all of my gold, including the gold from pillaging mines, but with the bonuses to levied units and upgrades to swordsmen I have been able to conquer every other civilization on the continent. Between captured cities and settlers I added an additional 14 cities. Total cities are currently at 21.

For policies I ran Discipline, Urban Planning, until I had settler production and then used that for a while before going back to urban planning with the great general card when I got oligarchy. Currently I just switched to classical republic since there is no one left to fight. Did use diplomatic league for the extra envoys on 3 of the city states. (I also accidentally left settler production in when I should have had urban planning for about 10 turns, roughly a 150-200 production mistake. Thanks for encouraging me not to replay that.)

- What City-States did you meet and which ones did you cultivate to your side?
    I met all of the city states, and in another 4 turns I will be suzerain of all 10 city states on this continent. As noted I levied almost all of their armies in order to conquer the other civilizations, but I also did it for the envoys you get for doing so, and the last one that I levied was just for the 2 extra envoys so I could get suzerain of the last city state. Having the experience boost from Kabul was rather nice given all of the fighting. The units have also been very useful for clearing all of the barbs for extra gold and era score.

- Were your neighbors peaceful?
    Yes, but I wasn't. ;)

- Any surprises?
    Mostly that I was truly able to stop myself from replaying any turns, thanks again for that.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2019
  6. Casualty of war

Casualty of war Warlord

Turn 101, when the continent is mine and the Printing beeline becomes the Cartography beeline. I slow rolled Zulu's last city, waiting for them to make me a Settler, Builder or come nice infrastructure; I had to settle for a Settler. Still planting Theater Squares and building Amphitheaters. My Pingala-Oracle city did not happen so Pingala took up residence in the capital for the rest of the game.

Spoiler :
    upload_2019-11-3_22-44-59.png

Attached Files:

7. Dekrznator

Dekrznator Chieftain

The levy machine is op as hell :)
    I created few units at start (2xslinger, 2x warr) zerged Khmer on the east. Scouts went exploring to find neighbours and I settled next city 4 hexes to the west. After Khmer was dead I levied Kabul and used their 6 warrs to nuke Zulu. While my troops were running south I levied Akkad and nuked USofA :p after which combined forces of Kabul & Akkad grabed Cree.

Next turn I will levie Bandar Brueni and use them & my own units to squash China and bring peace to the continent.
    Beelined printing and now im switching to cartography. Atm sitting at 15 cities (soon to be 20), and spamming faith/culture districts & builders.
    Rest of the game is going to be lot of next turn clicking :p
    Hungary gotm 100t.png

Victoria likes this.
  8. Vlad Dracula

Vlad Dracula Chieftain

Where did you settle your cities? Settled in place for fissure 2 on coast by stone and diamonds

- What did you research and which policies did you choose and why? Start with AH for camp and pasture

- What was your build order? Scout/warrior/builder/settler

- How soon did you build a District? Which ones did you prioritize? Holy site founded a religion to help push culture

- How did you place your districts? By those nice mountains for bonuses

- Did you emphasize expansion? How many cities have you built/captured in the first 100 turns? 4 settled one taken from Khmer

- What City-States did you meet and which ones did you cultivate to your side? I’ve met 8 and have Akkad for sweet bonus against cities and Rapa Nui for culture

- Were your neighbors peaceful? No Khmer came after me. He also has horses and lots of iron, so he’ll be dangerous for a bit. I’m going to need to kill him. The rest are peaceful so far.

- Any surprises? Khmer cranking out swordsman and catapults. I had to accept the peace offer without taking the iron city.

9. DSYoungEsq

DSYoungEsq Chieftain

Wow, seems like not much of anyone bothers with the Opening actions thread any more. :(

Overview: I have managed to muddle my way to probable long-term safety, though I have not exactly wiped the continent clean of the enemy. One neighbor is eliminated, and plans are in place to take out two more.

I actually am conflicted by a game like this because with the culture victory condition, I always feel like wiping out opponents is a bit of a cheat. But it's not stopping me because I want to play with the levy mechanic and Corvinus' special bonuses using levied armies.

Where did you settle your cities?
    I settled Buda in place. Yes, probably should have gone across the river on the deer so I could build three districts across the river from the city center, but I just hate giving up that one turn initiative.
    I settled city 2 to the NW on the coast, and city 4 followed to the west along the coast. City 3 is to the south, up the Saba River near the cotton.

What did you research and which policies did you choose?
    Animal Husb. -> Pottery -> Irrigation -> Astrology -> Writing -> Sailing -> Currency -> etc. Most recent tech was horseback riding.
    Code of Laws -> Foreign Trade -> Musticism -> Craftsmanship -> Early Empire -> State Workforce -> Political Philosophy -> etc. Most recent policy was Theology.
    Basically the usual for policies to gain early religion and then head to Oligarchy. Accompanying techs for that goal, then a bit aimless on techs. I suspect I will now home in on heading to iron working so as to get swordsmen as an upgrade for the levies.

What was your build order?
    Buda: Monument, settler, builder, trader, Oracle, warrior, settler, builder, Hanging Gardens, Temple of Artemis, holy site, water mill.
    Debrecen: Warrior, monument, settler, granary.
    I want plenty of culture-producing wonders if I can, from an early age.

How soon did you build a District?
    I didn't build one until Buda built a holy site starting on turn 87. Religion not founded until 94 as a result.

Did you emphasize expansion? How many cities have you built/captured?
    I ALWAYS prioritize expansion: it's a 4X game after all. I've built 4 cities, and captured 4 Khmer cities.

How did you play your governance cards? What were your priorities?
    I started with Discipline and God King. Discipline keeps the barbs at bay, and God King helps with the early religion. After that, Charismatic Leader and Revelation, to help with city states and to help with religion. Switch to Urban Planning as soon as the Pantheon was founded. Eventually, after the Khmers were gone, I switched to Professional Armies and to Retinues to make upgrading really, really cheap and painless.

City states met?
    Rapa Nui and Mohenjo-Daro really early. Turned them into vassals quickly. Vilnius next; eventually Lisbon, Akkad, and Kabul. Vilnius also vassalized; Kabul is the next target. Mohenjo-Daro's troops were levied to help me take down the Khmers.

Were your neighbors peaceful?
    Yes, shockingly. Khmer didn't expect my onslaught at all, and while Teddy hasn't been happy over my taking them down, he hasn't done more than express displeasure (probably because of the size of my levy-filled army).

Any surprises?
    Nope. Been a pleasant walk so far.