1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

6otM75 After Action

Discussion in 'Civ6 - Game Of The Month' started by leif erikson, Nov 14, 2019.

1. leif erikson

leif erikson Game of the Month Fanatic Administrator Supporter GOTM Staff

Welcome to the 6otM75 After Actions Report thread. In this thread you can post the results of your game. Please state victory date and score (preferably in the post title), as recorded in the Hall of Fame, and the most important: your path to glory!

STOP - Please do not continue reading this thread until you have completed and submitted your game.

Please attached your victory save to your post.

- How many cities did you settle, or capture?
    - What did you prioritize for research and policies?
    - What did you build for an Army and Navy and how did it change?
    - Did you use your UU/UB? Were they useful?
    - What was your most useful unit?
    - Was diplomacy useful? How?
    - Were City-States helpful? Did any other civ give you a hard time about city-states?
    - Did religion play a role in your game?
    - What was your strategy, how did you gain your Domination VC?
    - How many cities did you take with military, how many with culture/loyalty flips?
    - How many Dark Ages and/or Golden Ages did you have? Did you have a strategy?
    - What effect did Loyalty have on your settling or conquering? How did you mitigate its effects?
    - Any surprises you ran into, how did you deal with it?
    - Did you enjoy your game?

Please use spoiler tags for any surprise details you'd like kept hidden. Thanks.

Players are encouraged to provide feedback on the game. Some players like to replay the game, and although we will not record the results from a replay, you can still post your new experiences (please state if the game is a replay). Please refrain from posting videos until the deadline for submission is over.

Knightfall likes this.
  2. Fluphen Azine

Fluphen Azine What is Fluphen Azine?

My Game Crashed at Turn 223.
    I never reloaded or replayed any turns.
    I had to run through some of the same clicks after the crash.
    Sometimes my PC gets too hot and shuts off automatically from Civ VI.

I took a few screenshots at the end of the game

Spoiler Domination Turn 228 :
    Dom Turn 228.jpg GOTM 75 Dom Turn 228.jpg GOTM 75 Turn 228.jpg

53 TOTAL
    Hard Built 9
    Captured 39
    Flipped 5

Bronze Working for Great Generals
    Basic Civics Path

Settlers were first priority

Galley
    Army was Mixed using...

Swords, Horses and Xbows for the first war.
    Used Artillery and Tanks for Middle Game.
    Rocket Artillery with Modern Army and Machine Guns.
    Very Late Jet Bombers to finish off the last two Capitals.

I should of saved up cash for Earlier Jet Bombers as they are AWESOME!

I used 3 to 6 of them mostly for pillaging.
    I put down 10 to 15 Chateaus.

Ranged, Xbows and Artillery up to Rocket Artillery to break walls.

I played friendly at first to get good trade deals and war going but I play slow compared to optimal players.
    I just made too many mistakes that could of been avoided.
    I play too fast just clicking too much without planning.

- Were City-States helpful? Did any other civ give you a hard time about city-states?
    Kumasi is so strong for Culture!!

It helped in my Heroic Age to buy builders.
    It also helped to buy Troops throughout the game

Expand with Settlers while playing nice.
    Get some Great Generals and Army and attack trying to manipulate the AI.
    After I wiped out 2 Civs I could just do whatever I wanted on my way to a slow victory.

- How many cities did you take with military, how many with culture/loyalty flips?
    I flipped 5.
    I captured 39.

First Age was Golden.
    Poor Play put me into a Dark Age.
    Heroic Age next followed by Golden Ages.

- What effect did Loyalty have on your settling or conquering? How did you mitigate its effects?
    Not too much.
    I slotted in a Governor and Loyalty Cards when needed.

Never had a city Rebel.

The second age going Dark because I miscalculated everything.

I enjoyed the map but my Lackadaisical Approach means that I can not finish fast.
    I always enjoy the GOTMs because it is hard to find maps that Civ Players share and post about their game or experience.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 16, 2019
    Casualty of war and leif erikson like this.
  3. Ceydezed

Ceydezed Chieftain

Turn 265 (Peaceful) Domination victory

Settled 10, captured none, but flipped a lot of them (all of Gandhi and Tamar, most of China and Khmer, and a couple from the other further civs, including the cap)
    Went for a religion, then spammed TS and Entertainment complexes
    I almost had no army until mid-game, when China declared on me for some unknown reason, so i had to build a couple of planes and UU to defend myself.
    The UU is nice on home continent, very strong. I didn't want to use too many chateau as they would increase the risk of culture victory
    Builders, i literally spammed farms to have tall cities that would exerce more pressure
    I had good trade routes at the end, and a couple of nice resolution passed (+100% for TS construction), but nothing game-changing
    Most CS disappeared before the end of the game, swallowed either by Aztec or by the pink empire that i was. Nan-Madol was good for a little while.
    Yes, religion is nice in this kind of game, to convert border cities and increase pressure. It also helped me to have 3 consecutive monumentalities
    Build TS close to borders. spam great works, convert adjacent cities, run bread and circus, neutralize governors, fabricate scandal and use Amani.
    None with military, all with culture flips. I got tired at the end though and used rock bands for the capital of Spain and Aztec, to speed the process.
    I had only golden age except one normal in the middle. Playing culturally with wonders and flipping almost ensure golden tbh.
    I stole an early settler from Aztec and put it at the extreme west of the continent, it was always almost flipping. Apart from this all loyalty pressure was coming from me.
    Despite planning to build the Statue of Liberty quite early, i got it stolen by Gitarja out of the blue, before i had her capital. I was lucky though because the capital was not in the 6 tiles radius. Eventually i made a cultural alliance with Gitarja to not steal her other cities so i could have a good trading partner. China declared on me while i was not ready at all, so i had to rush steel, they almost caputred a city in the middle of my territory. They also captured Kumasi at one point that literally flipped to me 2 turns after.
    I really like peaceful domination, much more interesting than pure war in my opinion!

upload_2019-11-17_10-56-58.png

upload_2019-11-17_10-55-0.png
    upload_2019-11-17_10-55-16.png

Attached Files:

4. leif erikson

leif erikson Game of the Month Fanatic Administrator Supporter GOTM Staff

Thought hard about making the Victory Condition Peaceful Domination but wasn't sure how well that could be achieved. Thank you for the report. :thumbsup:

Fluphen Azine likes this.
  5. Fluphen Azine

This would of been a difficult, fun and interesting approach.
    Actually after I read @Ceydezed win with domination through peace I went back and tried that.
    I didn't build an initial Army and it went bad when Georgia came calling.
    I don't like to replay the same map over and over with knowledge but to learn Peaceful Domination I may play this map out a few more times.

leif erikson likes this.
  6. Samouraibapt

Samouraibapt Chieftain

Hi everyone and thanks for the GotM.,
    Domination victory, turn 246, score 3128.

I settled 9 cities and got one flipped in the early game. Then conquered the world :)

Campuses, universities and straight to advanced flight.
    Policies wise, TS, feudalism and then what was boosted.

Almost no army until flight. I didn't have to, I allied India and China quite early.

I did build 1 chateau for the era score, didn't build the UB, too far away from my tech path.

Bombers!

Yes I managed to get allied with everyone except the Aztecs, and I sold all my diplo favor until turn ~180

Quite helpful, even though I lost some of my suzes when starting the wars.

Not at all

Science race and Bombers! I wanted to try the cultural flip but my attempt on India was pretty miserable.

I actually captured around 3/4 of the cities, the rest got flipped during the wars.

Neutral, golden, dark (on purpose), heroic, golden, golden
    I was peaceful until the modern heroic age, where I took "To arms" and started to conquer the world.

Didn't get enough pressure :(

I wanted to try a peaceful domination but I'm bad at it... I think I don't understand how to do it. @Ceydezed I would be very interested in a deeper explanation of your playthrough!

Very much, this was my 1st domination victory on deity!

Spoiler :

20191117184447_1.jpg

Attached Files:

Fluphen Azine and leif erikson like this.
  7. seb_schmitt

seb_schmitt Chieftain

Gave up on turn 134 after Ghandi converted all my cities with holy cites to his religion.

Tried a peaceful domination approach for the first time and have to confess that my skill level is not nearly high enough to pull that off on deity level.

Kudos to those who achieved it and will achieve it. Maybe I'll give it a second try after some training.

Thanks @leif erikson for the game, it was an eye opener to me!

leif erikson likes this.
  8. seb_schmitt

seb_schmitt Chieftain

@Ceydezed Can you please share your final game save? I'm sure there is a lot to learn from it.

9. Bangau

Bangau Warlord Supporter

Turn 220 Domination Victory, score of 2718.

Spoiler win screen :
    20191120143104_1.jpg

I've played a few 'peaceful domination' games with the Eleanor's (note: Engleanor is a bit better at it than Freleanor :)), and decided to try a mixed approach for this game: conquer your friends with 'love' and your enemies with bombs. It was a fun game to play this way!

Ended up with 52 cities: i settled about 15, conquered about 13 and flipped the rest (24).

Most importantly: get faith income going for cities and builders and extra culture from the belief (Choral Music), and later on for rock bands. Second go towards theatre squares. Meanwhile I try to get as many eurekas and inspirations as possible to go through the trees smoothly. Because of the mixed approach I also had to try and keep up on military, which made it interesting.

Navy only to circumnavigate the world. I focused on get the flipping part going first, so kept a rather small army to begin with. Georgia asked for trouble a few times, but everybody hated her because she and the Aztecs had wiped out Spain. So every time she declared war all my friends were eager to join and she never was any serious threat. I started building up my real army in the middle game. I had to take out most of the CS in the middle to get to niter, because Georgia was my first target to conquer by force. That took so long (and she got into a dark age) that in the end I flipped Georgia peacefully. By then I had some niter and soon after some oil and used those to upgrade my armies and conquer my former friend the Khmer. I got to bombers in the end and used one to finish of China.

Build them for the Era Score only. The Chateau is a big threat for a culture victory in a scenario like this, so no can do.

Builders, always. For war: bombard and artillery because the AI had many 3rd tier walls up.

Ally them, take their country. Betray former friends, conquer their country. Yes, it was a very 'diplomatic game'.

A bit at the beginning for some extra yields and DV to sell. Had to kill (and flip one actually) a few of them to get to the West more easily.

Yeah, very useful in the beginning and I need the faith anyway for a the monumentality golden ages. Indonesia and the Khmer fought heavily for the Religious victory, so at the end my religion wasn't of much use anymore.

1.) Lots of faith --> golden ages --> monumentality: place and improve many cities, especially close to the AI's borders. Note: don't forget Ancestral Hall.
    2.) Theatre squares (place works of art in cities within 9 tiles of any enemy city) and/or entertainment complexes (run Bread and Circuses project) in all border cities that you need for flipping the AI. Use the loyalty lens to see which cities can be targeted with a 'loyalty push'.
    3.) Make many friends, try to loyalty flip their cities, make a few enemies, try to conquer their cities.

Conqered 13, flipped 24.

All golden. You need the Monumentality (faith buy settlers and builders) so that you can focus on building TS and EC for this strategy. I always pay a lot of attention to era score to make sure I get as many golden as possible. For the later stages the Taj Mahal helps a lot for this: every city that flips gives you 3 era score with it!

The game is all about loyalty. Just the other way around! ;) Actually I had a few cities flipped towards me that had a hard time keeping loyal, but managed to turn it around.

Because Georgia really loves her walls and I didn't early war her, ánd there was no niter in my land, it was a real challenge to break into the West of the continent. Was preparing to break Georgia with war, when she got a dark age and it was easier to flip her on loyalty.
    Combining war and culture is an interesting balancing game: in a pure domination game I would have spend much more time on science. Because of the faith and culture focus in the early game I couldn't roll over the AI in war that easily anymore. Though a fun way to play, I'm sure if I had played pure dominance it would have been much more efficient.

Very much so. The semi-peaceful domination victory was a nice new way to play. And I just love loyalty flipping. :) Thanks again GOTM team!

Tip: the more lenses mod has a lens called 'City Overlap' that helps you see how far away your city is from the AI cities you want to flip (9 hex from your city centre). I couldn't play without it. :)

Attached Files:

leif erikson and Fluphen Azine like this.
  10. Gaonac'h

Gaonac'h Chieftain

T137 DV
    Settled my capital on the copper. Meet La venta very early, and took Religious settlements pantheon.
    Opened up with Pingala x2 and then Magnus with the idea to focus on science to get niter/musketeers.
    Got spotted by 3 barbs camps around t40, and got overwhelmed by barbarians and ended up with 8 archers to defend myself and war against city-states at the same time. I kept a camp alive near India hoping Gandhi suicide some of his units on barbarians.
    I was friend with China, so I had a decent trade partner, but didn't trade any of my diplomatic favors.
    Seing Gandhi without walls decided to do a little detour to coursers and pushed on him at t80 with ~10 coursers but he had TONS of varu and war was very slow, he also had the Crusade belief. Indonesia on the other side was pretty easy to conquer.
    While I was waring with India/Indonesia I built up a muskets army and some siege towers for Georgia. Didn't had any issue with niter since I had Victor with +1 strategic ressource promo in an Indonesian city with 3 niter mines.
    Started banking faith to buy some Garde impériale wtih Grand master's chapel and upgraded my coursers to cavalries.
    Georgia, Spain and Khmer were as easy to conquer as Indonesia. Terrain to reach China was a little bit rough an made Crouching tigers quite scary.
    Aztec already had Cuirrasiers/Pike-and-shot at a time were I was planning to get infantries but I forgot they actually cost oil... didn't matter in the end Garde impériale were more than enough.
    Thanks for the game!

Attached Files:

11. tarafran

tarafran Warlord

T 221. DV
    Settled cap on the luxury and went for a fast religion for culture and religion in place
    Built 7 cities to start and pushed for science keeping a very small army
    Got friendly with most AI except India and Monty.
    Found a lonely Indian settler who begged me to joined my empire:)
    From then I slowly push back India"s attack and took his cities in a slow grind.
    Indonesia was next then Georgia
    Finished the game with Bombers and Tanks
    Big surprise and setback was the lack of niter in my borders .
    I was also slow to get to the other continent.
    Got one dark age in the middle of my golden age
    Great game
    Thanks

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 24, 2019
  12. unaghy

unaghy Chieftain

T287 DV / SCORE 3321

I have described first 100 turns in 6otm75OA.

From that point it took me another 100 turns to win first war against Tamara due to same tech level and the fact that at beggining of war I got to Dark age and struggled to hold conquered cities even with governor.
    In the meantime India conquered Indonesia and Aztec took Spain.

Due to dark age I couldnt benefit from Eleanor trait, but at least it helped me to survive influence from India, which was very dominant in culture (ended with 739 Cpt).
    After switching to heroic age, things started to move - I conquered only cities in path to Khmer & Aztec capitals and rest of their cities started to flip in domino effect. Ended up with aroun 20 FLIPPED CITIES and even removed Tamara from the game by flipping her last city.

With last two capitals, in possesion of India, helped a lot 6 giant robots. Since I realized that science victory can be speed up a lot by Giant robots conquering all capitals, it happend to be my new way of quicker science victory. No city can stand attack of 4 fully upgraded giant robots :)

I would play it differently next time, as I was building economy first and leaving wars for later and allowed India to be runaway AI. Next time I would start with wars very soon and focused on encampments/theathers only in cotrary to ED/ID with later TDs...

Last 100 turns were very teddious due to many cities to manage and I did not enjoy playing them.

Spoiler END TURN :
    TURN 288.jpg

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 25, 2019
  13. pahakuutti

pahakuutti Chieftain

T127 DV

Like @Gaonac'h settled on copper, met La Venta very early (became suze T15), took religious settlements.
    Bumbed the first and only settler out at same turn I got the option to choose pantheon.
    Opened up with 3x magnus to chop swords army.

The swords army went to west. First it took out Georgia, followed by Spain.
    In the mean time built/chopped 2nd army (swords + archers to be upgraded into x-bows) and sent it towards China.
    Things got difficult when I dow'd Aztecs and China.
    Aztecs had knights + x-bows. China had crouching tigers + coursers.
    So I found myself in a two wars where I was actually losing units.
    I had a knowledge of muskets but was short of niter and money. The solution was to dow Khmer and pillage their lands and for a bonus I got a few badly needed niter hexes.
    After a few turns I could upgrade my troops and faith purchase 3rd army (garde imperiale + cavalry) to take capitals of India and Indonesia.

Spoiler :

Thanks for the game!

Attached Files:

Fluphen Azine and Gaonac'h like this.
  14. tobols

tobols Chieftain

Domination Victory, turn 170, score 1839.

Began by settling tobacco for faith and selling the luxury. Got religious settlements for the extra settler.
    Initial plan was to rush swords and do an early attack. I first meet Gandhi who has punished me plenty before with his Varuus, so I decide to befriend him instead. Then on my other side is Georgia - who builds walls early. So I decide to slow down and instead wait for knights. Meanwhile I opt for pushing out settlers and at turn ~75 I have 8 self settled cities. I'm in a golden age with monumentality, buys lots of workers and chops in the pyramids.

It's about this time that Georgia decides to invade. However I've suzerained Zansibar and together we kill off most of the invading army. Soon after I upgrade my prebuilt chariots to knights, which together with a bunch of catapults and a few crossbowmen, launch a counterattack led by Boudica. My friend Spain also joins the war.

After conquering all of Georgias cities, I promptly backstab Spain, which doesn't have any walls up yet. It's a short war.

Next up is Montezuma. Even though he has some walls up he doesn't put up much of a fight either. Only problem is that now I'm in a dark age and manages to loose a couple of cities to loyalty. Good thing is I can use the +5 melee strength card though.

After Monty is dealt with, the Khmer is up next. By now my western army has been upgraded to include bombards, cannons and cuirassiers. The Khmer falls rather easily as well.

At the same time, to the east, Gandhi and Indonesia has been fighting a war more or less since the beginning of time. I buy a whole bunch of Garde Imperiale with faith which combined with a siege tower starts a surprise war and restores peace again to both India and Indonesia. None of them put up any resistance.

After defeating the Khmer, and now in a heroic age, my western army finally backstabs my long time friend China. The final push consists of a few tanks and artillery.

All and all, the game went better than I expected. I'm not that good with war, but things turned out good for me anyway. It was an enjoyable game, even though I domination victories isn't much of a favourite for me.

upload_2019-11-24_20-22-20.png

Attached Files:

15. kcd_swede

kcd_swede Jag är Viking!½ GOTM Staff

Domination t292 score 3067

Stealth bombers. Otherwise I was slow and ineffective. Then captured basically the whole map in a span of 40 turns.:crazyeye:

Attached Files:

16. Tarry

Tarry Chieftain

Domination Victory Turn 292, Score: 3800!

upload_2019-11-29_21-31-31.png

Settled 12, Captured 36

Initially I tried to get a religion, but I failed - probably for the best as with Georgia and India as neighbours my religion would have been wiped out.
    I then pushed culture, probably too hard, I was lagging behind everywhere else.

I went for archers as my first military and then swords once I found some Iron. I tried to get some military strength up to prevent my neighbours declaring war on me.
    There was a lack of nitre anywhere until I saw some in the far north and built Calais to grab it, but that lack really hammered building renaissance units

The chateau helped pull me in a lot of culture when they became available, but I had many theatre squares by then, probably a waste building so many of them.
    The Imperial Guard, well, they were stronger than musketmen, but having to hard build them meant they were unpromoted and thus only as effective. Infantry came so soon afterwards that they were pretty pointless.

Bombers and Fighters

Yes, I had two early wars with Georgia, but the diplomacy kept everyone else OK with me.. In the first one I took their city that they built where I was going to build one right by Matterhorn and grabbed an unescorted settler from them. My 3rd war with Georgia was a bloody draw, her cities were so strong and every hex was under attack from a city and encampment, I took a city but couldn't hold it against her super strong culture, so I let it rebel and then wiped it out as a free city creatng space and reducing cultural strength on the mattahorn city.
    India, on my eastern border, who had such a strong military that I was terrified if they attacked I'd be wiped out was happy to be friends/allies - him and all his many Varu.

Rapa-Nui were the best city state ever. I grabbed the merchant who reveals oil early and Rapa-Nui who I was suzerain of had 3 oil and 1 nitre in its workable tiles.

Not for me. I failed to get a religion. So it was a case of watching legions of religious units from everyone other than china wander of my territories and fight it out.
    However Religion dictated my assault on India after Georgia as the runaway leader with a strong probability of winning a religious victory.

After initial wars and being afraid of India who was a runaway leader I needed to build bombards and flight to be able to touch Georgia, so it was a long wait for those, especially with the limited nitre I had available. I ground my was west through Georgia, crushing her cities one by one adding observation balloons and biplanes to the war. Then it was waiting for fighters and bombers. Here I then ran into a lack of oil (and later aluminium) for such a long time holding back my military.

About 50/50 I figure through taking India who finally fell out of a golden age, but it was a real grind fest, cities I would take with culture I mostly bypassed and took the others with military. When I turned to Aztek and Khmer the same was true, about 50/50 split of culture and military.

The first 3 ages were all normal for me, I missed out on golden for 2 of those by 1/2 points, very frustrating.
    India took wonder after wonder before me, so frustrating. Colloseum, pyramids arrrg.

Loyalty wasn't that much of a problem after the 3rd mini war with georgi adn me wiping out a city of theirs. I was very strong culturally and I ground my enemies down slowly, rather than in a blaze of glory as every single city had big, tough walls.

Georgia declared a supprise war that I really was not expecting and then denounced my taking of Rapa Nui with an Emergency that everyone jumped on except my allies China and India.
    I took Hattusa with Culture, I had so many great works trying to get India's cities that Hattusa fell to my cultural assault, never taken a City State before, even more annoying is the fact I was the suzerain of it :(
    Flooding - wow, that sucked I started before I was ready

It was both interesting and frustrating. Being so far behind for so long, missing 2 golden ages by 1/2 points, not being able to get cities for a long time with culture because the enemies were so strong.

Attached Files:

Gaonac'h likes this.
  17. gcampono

gcampono Chieftain

DV T158

This was an interesting map. I settled on copper for extra production and gold and started with scout and four settlers (pantheon was religious settlement) some workers and campuses. I got a lot of huts. I met very soon la venta and hattusa, which I focused to became a suzerain as soon as possible.

My first enemy was Georgia. I suzerained zanzibar and levied its swordsmen with a ram and some archers. Then I developed some knights and went to attack Spain (easy) and Khmer.

Then China DOWed me and I was attacking Gandhi. Both enemies were difficult (China because of terrain and medieval walls, Gandhi had many units and varus and walls on each city). I made a military alliance with montezuma to help me. Both wars lasted quite long (and China was the last civ I conquered) and I had to develop Garde Imperiale and Cuirassiers. Indonesia was much more easy.

With Gandhi gone I focused on Montezuma, which was also quite difficult. I had to get some artillery to get his capital. Finally I was able to conquer China with some artillery and some tanks.

I was not really able to use the leader special ability. Maybe 2-3 cities in total flipped to me.

Attached Files:

18. arthur486

arthur486 Warlord

Quit @ T127.

Tried the peaceful domination strategy. It's definitely doable, however in this game my stars did not align well.
    • Settled around 10 cities using Religious Settlements and built settlers.
    • Did not declare any wars, and was not declared on.
    • Managed to snag a GP for a religion, but did not establish one at this point in order to not be wiped out.
    • Barely got a normal classical, medieval and renaissance ages
    • Decision to not receive any great artist points was taken ~T120, guess who was the only one in contention for them :lol:
    At this point (T127), it's the first turn of the Renaissance Era. Georgia and Spain are in a Heroic Age, India is in a Golden Age, and Indonesia is in a dark age. I'm in a normal age, so taking any of them down will take some time.

Thank you for the game, it remains a very interesting scenario!

19. Fluphen Azine

They voted no Great Artist Points huh lol... hate that!
    After this GOTM I played this Civ for the last few weeks primarily.
    I always get a CV before a Peaceful Domination but I do find this Civ to be very Fun.
    Especially when you start seeing a bunch of cities starting to flash!