6otM75 Opening Action

leif erikson

Game of the Month Fanatic
Administrator
GOTM Staff
Supporter
Welcome to the 6otM75 Opening Actions thread.

STOP - Please do not continue reading this thread until you have completed at least 80 to 100 turns in your game.

This thread is used to discuss the game once you've started playing through your first 100 turns. Apart from normal decency, the only posting restrictions are to please not post videos until the deadline is finished and to use the spoiler tags for screenshots. Here you can post questions related to the game and share your achievements/anger/frustration/victories while you play. Please remember that we are running a family friendly site, so express anger or frustration with this in mind. :)

Please use this thread to discuss your goals for the game and your opening moves through the first 100 turns. Anything after that should be posted in the After Actions thread once you have completed your game.

- How long did you search for a site for your first city? What criteria did you use?
- Where did you settle your capital city? Your second city?
- Did you make a plan for achieving a Domination VC, what are the major steps you planned to take?
- What did you research and which policies did you choose and why?
- What was your build order?
- Did you try for a Pantheon? Which one did you select and why?
- How long did it take to find your neighbors? Were they hostile or friendly?
- How soon did you build a District? Which ones did you prioritize?
- Did you try to build any Wonders?
- Did you emphasize expansion? How many cities have you built/captured in the first 100 turns?
- How quickly did you get Trade Routes working, who did you trade with?
- How did you play your governance cards, priorities?
- Which Governors did you choose and why did you choose them?
- What City-States did you meet and which ones did you cultivate to your side?
- How were the Barbarians?
- Any surprises?

Please use spoiler tags for any surprise details you'd like kept hidden. Thanks.

When your Natural Wonder-adjacent 38 STR city with 65/200 left gets taken down by 2 Warriors and a Chariot, all wounded deep into the red, you're in for a bad time. When one damn Chariot somehow puts that city under siege so that it even gets whittled down to 65/200, you're in for a bad time. When Zanzibar poaches the Barb Camp you need to get your Golden Classical, you're in for a bad time.

Done by Turn 75, with most of the world my declared friend and one AI RNG-rolling me. My capital was pinched between Swordsman barbs and the AI, so the writing was on the wall. Thank you for the game.

Spoiler Turn 40 :
Turn 40 GOTM 75.jpg

I reloaded Turn 97 from a Save to get a Screenshot

Spoiler Turn 97 :
Turn 97 GOTM 75.jpg

I currently played up to turn 132.
My problem is I want to build everything.
Building too many districts and buildings.
This makes the game slower as I figure top players are done by now but I am probably looking at turn 250 or so.

I decided on a scout first and settled on the tobacco for the faith.
Mining First and Warrior headed South.

Found a Hut for Gold with a nearby Tornado that missed my Warrior.
Chasing Barb Scout SE.
Turn 4.

Turn 6 First Meet with La Venta.
Following Scout looking for the Barb Camp far South.

Turn 9 Finished Scout and headed East.
Warrior into a Settler for next build.
Deciding on Bronze Working next for Great General Encampment since it is Domination Victory Condition.

Turn 10 Met up with Gandhi.
Met Zanzibar and Military CS.
Put 1 Envoy into Zanizbar.

Turn 11 Free Builder from Hut.

Turn 13 Free Settler from Pantheon.
Killed 3 Barb Camps as they popped up in the right places at the right time for my troops.

Turn 14 Warrior Finished and met Georgia.
Working on both Civics to time boosts.

Turn 16 Settled Roven for first Expo to the East by the Farm.
Improved the Farm for boost and I need 6 Farms for Feudalism.
I made some bad improvements in the capital like a Mine that wasn't needed.
My main problem is focus I just tend to play which is why so many mistakes.

Turn 19 Met Kumasi along with some other CS's for Gold and Culture.

Turn 39 I went with Magnus First since I wasn't growing very good and I got Provision right after.

Turn 44 Golden Age and picked Free Inquiry.
As the game went on I didn't pay attention to very much.
I thought I researched sailing but didn't and when I needed it to buy a Galley I messed everything up and fell into a Dark Age with 1 Era Score needed.
When I got onto war with Gandhi they were in a Dark Age as well so this was horrible for me as the Normal Age would of made it smoother.

I did about wipe them out by turn 120 or so but they snuck in another city so the war continues.

I had 8 hard built cities up by turn 70.
1 Envoy into most of the CS's and a couple of AI friends.
Decent Trade and gpt for me at about 160 gpt.
Upgraded a bunch of Swords and a few Xbows and took some cities with a couple wonders like Hanging Gardens.
I didn't keep good records after turn 45 or so since I realized how bad I was doing.

The map is nice though for a sweep.
The AI isn't doing very good with tech.
I built mostly Commercial Hubs first and onto Campuses.
However... very late with those in general as I built a bunch of builders on my way to Feudalism.

Last edited:
TURN 100
SCORE = 245
MS = 280
SCIENCE = 50
CULTURE = 36
GPT = 78
FPT =4,3

- How long did you search for a site for your first city? What criteria did you use?
Settled on Tobacco on second turn to get immediate faith per turn for quick pantheon.

- Where did you settle your capital city? Your second city?
Second city wend South towards La Venta. Took free settler from pantehon.

- Did you make a plan for achieving a Domination VC, what are the major steps you planned to take?
Settle as many cities, befriend all but 2-3 AIs, befriending neighbors especially. Building my economy and start conquering around industrial age.

I went for middle and bottom part of the tree and beelined for Encampment & Industrial districts.
Used all policies helping with settlers, great general and workers.
Beelining Merchant republic, then I will go fo theaters to start getting GP for great works and loyalty push.

- What was your build order?
Scout, Slinger, Builder, Settler, Scout, Builder, Warrior.

- Did you try for a Pantheon? Which one did you select and why?
The one providing free settler to get second city quickly, where I build encampment for quick GG.

- How long did it take to find your neighbors? Were they hostile or friendly?
I´ve found them quickly with 2 scouts. First hostile, but over time I´ve turned them to friends except of two.

- How soon did you build a District? Which ones did you prioritize?
First build in my second city was encampment.

Then I built:
Government district with AH
Aquaducts
2 encampments
1 science district +4 bonus
1 commercial district +4 bonus
3 industrial districts +4 to +5 bonus

- Did you try to build any Wonders?
No. Its deity, so I would rather expand quickly, than loosing race for wonders.

- Did you emphasize expansion? How many cities have you built/captured in the first 100 turns?
Yes, I did. 7 cities + 1 on route and capital is building only settlers after small breaks for GD+AH & ID+workshop.

- How quickly did you get Trade Routes working, who did you trade with?
First I got quickly either from civic or hut, I dont recall correctly. Traded with science CS with diplomatic league card with trade route quest.

- How did you play your governance cards, priorities?
AH for free builder and help with building settlers.

- Which Governors did you choose and why did you choose them?
Magnus - for capitol to avoid loosing citizens while cranking up settlers
Pingala - for my city with first campus
Liang - for city building builders

- What City-States did you meet and which ones did you cultivate to your side?
Met 10 CS and suzereined 3 so far.

- How were the Barbarians?
Easy. Build few units to chase scouts and controlled new camps. No horsemen spam fortunatelly.

- Any surprises?
One AI forward settling. I didnt mind it though, city is now under rebellion already.

Spoiler TURN100 :

TURN 100.jpg

Attachments

• TURN 100.jpg
    TURN 100.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 336
Last edited:
I settled in place, built warrior – settler, grabbed the settler pantheon and had 3 good cities by turn 30 with a source of iron. A great start! Initial exploration was not so great:- walls and hills to the left, varu to the right and a web of CS to complicate matters further. I built up an army of spears, swords and archers and headed towards a seemingly lightly-defended India. Then... my army was decimated by a typhoon before reaching the border then faced by varu hordes appearing from nowhere. We retreated in good order to think again. Plan B was to attack CS (something I normally avoid) to extend my southern borders. I captured La Venta fairly easily but this triggered an emergency and I was then warring against both India and Georgia. My healing units were then again decimated by natural disaster (this time a flood) and, although I held on to my territorial gains, I now lacked sufficient forces to push on further. By turn 80 I had lost 5 units to disasters.

Spoiler :
I beelined tech towards nitre for muskets / bombards asap, only to find none in my territory and the only 2 visible sources in others territories. I would need to fight for it. I decided to attack the Kumasi CS for a source, duly captured it only for my army to be hit by ANOTHER TORNADO!!!!! This needed several turns of healing and lost momentum, leading to severe loyalty issues in this far-flung outpost such that I only gained enough nitre to upgrade 3 units before the city revolted.

Looking at the bigger picture (and the calendar), I foresee a very long slog from this point and don’t think I have either time or patience to complete at this time.... maybe after the festive period. Not sure the disaster gods want me to win this one.

How long did you search for a site for your first city? What criteria did you use? I settled on the tobacco for the luxury and faith
- Where did you settle your capital city? Your second city? 2nd was on the river south of the capital by the rice
- Did you make a plan for achieving a Domination VC, what are the major steps you planned to take? I was going to try for culture domination.
- What was your build order? Slinger, warrior, builder settler
- Did you try for a Pantheon? Which one did you select and why? Yes settling on the tobacco and meeting La Venta enabled me to get religious settlements
- How long did it take to find your neighbors? Were they hostile or friendly? Not long for most friendly so far
- How soon did you build a District? Which ones did you prioritize? I only have one campus one holy site and one theater.
- Did you try to build any Wonders? No
- Did you emphasize expansion? How many cities have you built/captured in the first 100 turns? Settled 5
- How quickly did you get Trade Routes working, who did you trade with? I only have one up. I sent it to India
- How did you play your governance cards, priorities? Barb card and production early, Colonization, extra influence and military production later
- Which Governors did you choose and why did you choose them? Magnus chops
- What City-States did you meet and which ones did you cultivate to your side? A bunch I’m just going to try to keep Rapa Nui
- How were the Barbarians? Bad
- Any surprises? The barb camp spitting out units that I wasn’t even able to build.

Top Bottom