1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

6otM76 Opening Action

Discussion in 'Civ6 - Game Of The Month' started by leif erikson, Dec 3, 2019.

1. leif erikson

leif erikson Game of the Month Fanatic Administrator Supporter GOTM Staff

Welcome to the 6otM76 Opening Actions thread.

STOP - Please do not continue reading this thread until you have completed at least 80 to 100 turns in your game.

This thread is used to discuss the game once you've started playing through your first 100 turns. Apart from normal decency, the only posting restrictions are to please not post videos until the deadline is finished and to use the spoiler tags for screenshots. Here you can post questions related to the game and share your achievements/anger/frustration/victories while you play. Please remember that we are running a family friendly site, so express anger or frustration with this in mind. :)

Please use this thread to discuss your goals for the game and your opening moves through the first 100 turns. Anything after that should be posted in the After Actions thread once you have completed your game.

- How long did you search for a site for your first city? What criteria did you use?
    - Where did you settle your capital city? Your second city? How many turns before you settled?
    - Did you make a plan for achieving a Religious VC, what are the major steps you planned to take?
    - What did you research and which policies did you choose and why?
    - What was your build order?
    - Did you try for a Pantheon? Which one did you select and why?
    - How long did it take to find your neighbors? Were they hostile or friendly?
    - How soon did you build a District? Which ones did you prioritize?
    - Did you try to build any Wonders?
    - Did you emphasize expansion? How many cities have you built/captured in the first 100 turns?
    - How quickly did you get Trade Routes working, who did you trade with?
    - How did you play your governance cards, priorities?
    - Which Governors did you choose and why did you choose them?
    - What City-States did you meet and which ones did you cultivate to your side?
    - How were the Barbarians?
    - Any surprises?

Please use spoiler tags for any surprise details you'd like kept hidden. Thanks.

Knightfall likes this.
  2. Mr_PeaCH

Mr_PeaCH Chieftain

Turn: 95
    MP: 235 (2nd overall)
    Sci: 33pt (1st)
    Cult: 21pt (1st)
    Gold: 43pt (inc. 21 from deals; 2nd overall)
    Faith: 18pt

- How long did you search for a site for your first city? What criteria did you use?

Went west, found land quickly and settled first decent site. It was 2 tiles away from two different luxuries and 3 away from a third with several bonus tiles near as well. Departure from norm in that it did not touch fresh water but was on the coast which is vital for Maori.

- Where did you settle your capital city? Your second city? How many turns before you settled?

First; see above. Second was similar in that it was not on fresh water but was on the coast; had 2x different luxury plus 1x of one I already had and I've been trading on the surpluses for a while now. Settled 2nd city pretty quickly but did not note what turn.

- Did you make a plan for achieving a Religious VC, what are the major steps you planned to take?

I have built 2 Holy Sites with 3 others set to complete in @ 15 turns. I have earned a Prophet but am waiting to start my religion until I have the sites complete and, hopefully, next Golden Age where I can choose the Exodus of the Evangelists. Only 1 religion has been established, by the AI who built Stonehenge, and they are on another continent.

- What did you research and which policies did you choose and why?

Thanks to finding the Galapagos Islands and founding my third city near it, my Science has been strong. I have been building Monuments, have 5 out of 6 cities so far, so Culture is doing well also. On the Tech tree I'm knocking on the door of the Classical Era and on the Civics tree I'm in the 2nd tier of the Classical Era Civics. Maritime Industries (100% naval units) has worked well; used it to build 3 of my first 4 vessels. I have also used Colonization (50% Settlers) quite a bit to good effect having just founded my 6th city, and only one was a gift Settler taken from Barbarians. I also switched out to the Diplomatic Policy giving 2 Envoys for first sent at a period where i was about to finish CS quests for a number of different CSes. Also, I've spent a lot of gold on things like Builders and Granaries. For my first Golden Age I chose Monumentality and have had a good flow of Faith also; spending that on Builders and Traders (had 2 Traders sacked by Barbarians; probably my hardest stumble so far).

- What was your build order?

Slinger, Warrior, then Monument and Galley I think. Have had a good run with Goody Huts in the early going, tipping 9 in the first 95 turns yielding among other things 2x Scouts. Love an early ocean-going Civ like Maori or Vikings where you can produce a couple cheap naval units early and set off exploring. I did not 'first find' too many CSes for the free Diplomats and 'per turn' bonuses, but they did help turn up some of the goody huts which I led my Scouts to tip over.

- Did you try for a Pantheon? Which one did you select and why?

Yes, Got one of the first Pantheons courtesy of first-finding a Religious CS while I already was using the "God King" policy. Took God of the Sea for Fishing Boat production. Was the one I was hoping for as I was already lining up placing other cities on coastal tiles with reach to multiple coastal resources. While my first city reaches only a single coast resource tile, three other coastal cities have 2, 5 and 4 respectively.

- How long did it take to find your neighbors? Were they hostile or friendly?

Am sharing a continent with 4 AI Civs. Did not take long to find them; one was close and I got a free scout which let me to more as well as CSes. Everyone has been congenial so far; The closest two Civs now show as 'neutral' but I'm ready for a fight if they want one. So far I have not launched an attack against Civs or CSes; only Barbs. Being Maori and building 4 ships so far (2 galley, 2 Quadriremes) along with two free Scouts, I have found 7 of the other 9 Civs and 10 of 20 (?) CSes. I have circumnavigated the world. For better or worse, there are two AIs which I expect to prove the most difficult. One, the Cree, are my neighbors so it should be trivial when the time comes to whittle them down some. But the other, Mali, is cranking out the GPT already on the other continent. I may have to fight an overseas war soon to get them back in line.

- How soon did you build a District? Which ones did you prioritize?

Sooner than usual in that I had been lucky with goody huts, founding 2nd and 3rd cities, etc. I went Holy Site first on my first two cities. Capital then went Harbor and 2nd city went Government Plaza. 3rd city went Campus first. I'm eager to get a Theater Square or two going next.

- Did you try to build any Wonders?

No, not yet. A few have been built by AI Civs but they are moving pretty slow (Prince Difficulty). I'll probably try and finish both Great Lighthouse and Colossus soon and maybe fall back to Temple of Artemis if one or the other is poached.

- Did you emphasize expansion? How many cities have you built/captured in the first 100 turns?

Yes, emphasis on expansion. Partly to hedge my closest neighbor's advancement and partly to lock down the best locations near me and on the coast. Just founded my 6th city and as indicated earlier only one of those was a Settler stolen by Barbarians which I 'liberated'. Nothing captured.

- How quickly did you get Trade Routes working, who did you trade with?

My only stumbling block; I had my first two Traders poached by Barbarians but the 3rd is holding up. I sent one first to the nearest CS that had a quest for a Trade Route and after that expired I sent it to an AI Civ on the opposite side of the continent, Vikings. (To be clear, I can only support one trader at a time.) The Civ closer to me, Cree, is a Civ that gets big advantages from Trade Routes so I'm determined not to help them.

- How did you play your governance cards, priorities?

In part because of the ease of difficulty and in part because of finding and settling near the Galapagos Islands (Science bonus) I did not do my usual, Pingala. Instead I have gone with Liang + Aquaculture and Amani with my first 3 choices. The Surveyor and Aquaculture is going to play into my coastal cities w/ coastal resources motif as well as help make up the difference for how 4 of my first 6 cities do not have fresh water (and 3 never will; one I can do a Aquaduct for later). In addition to already having improved 7 coastal resource tiles I have built 11 Fisheries.

- Which Governors did you choose and why did you choose them?

See above.

- What City-States did you meet and which ones did you cultivate to your side?

I was briefly Suzerain for the nearest one, Buenos Aires. I got bumped but I'll be sure to get them back later; for now I'm doing fine on Luxury items and Happiness. I used Amani to make myself Suzerain of the only Religous CS I've met so far and who are just up the coast from me. This is already paying off in FaithPT and should multiply further shortly as I finish more Holy Sites and Temples. There are a couple of Military CSes I'd like to Suzerain when I am able.

- How were the Barbarians?

There were a large number of encampments popping up around me. As mentioned, they got not one, but two Traders. But all in all, useful, inasmuch as I want all my military units to get their first promotions, etc. I have not lost any units other than those Traders (although a roaming Scout has gotten itself penned in and will probably succumb to a Barbarian shortly).

- Any surprises?

Best surprise was finding the Galapagos Islands so quickly and it being in a good spot to support a city. Also was surprised to find each major continent is passable by ship; one a northern passage and the other a southern passage; was worried my fleet might be lonesome. I should be surprised at how peacefully this is all playing out so far; but then I haven't played Prince difficulty in a while. Finally, pleasantly surprised to see another Naval-minded Civ, the Vikings. It's always a bit boring when you have a huge navy but none of the AIs bothered much with theirs.