1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

6otM78 Opening Actions

Discussion in 'Civ6 - Game Of The Month' started by Knowtalent, Jan 1, 2020.

1. Knowtalent

Knowtalent Emperor GOTM Staff

Welcome to the 6otM 78 Opening Actions thread.

STOP - Please do not continue reading this thread until you have completed at least 80 to 100 turns in your game.

This thread is used to discuss the game once you've started playing through your first 100 turns. Apart from normal decency, the only posting restrictions are to please not post videos until the deadline is finished and to use the spoiler tags for screenshots. Here you can post questions related to the game and share your achievements/anger/frustration/victories while you play. Please remember that we are running a family friendly site, so express anger or frustration with this in mind. :)

Please use this thread to discuss your goals for the game and your opening moves through the first 100 turns. Anything after that should be posted in the After Actions thread once you have completed your game.

- Where did you settle your cities?

- What did you research and which policies did you choose and why?

- What was your build order?

- How soon did you build a District? Which ones did you prioritize?

- How did you place your districts?

- Did you emphasize expansion? How many cities have you built/captured in the first 100 turns?

- How did you play your governance cards, priorities?

- What City-States did you meet and which ones did you cultivate to your side?

- Were your neighbors peaceful?

- Any surprises?

Please use spoiler tags for any surprise details you'd like kept hidden. Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2020
    Knightfall likes this.
  2. Vlad Dracula

Vlad Dracula Chieftain

Where did you settle your cities? Moved to the plains hills for London 2nd went east on the coast and 3rd went west by the two bananas at what I thought might be a choke point. Four was south along the river near the rice.

- What did you research and which policies did you choose and why? God king to get the first pantheon for religious settlements and the barb card I did pottery then irrigation thinking I'd be able to trade the nearby luxuries. When I realized I was alone on the continent I just did things that had eurekas

- What was your build order?Scout slinger warrior builder settler

- How soon did you build a District? Which ones did you prioritize?Campus as soon as I was able

- How did you place your districts?Dockyards in all coastal cities campuses in the first three settled a few holy sites

- Did you emphasize expansion? How many cities have you built/captured in the first 100 turns?Settled four

- How did you play your governance cards, priorities? Magnus for chops and provision Pingala for culture and gp points

- What City-States did you meet and which ones did you cultivate to your side? Rapa Nui for the era score Babylon and Bologna for the science.I've also met Vilinius.

- Were your neighbors peaceful? So far.

- Any surprises? Being alone on the continent.

3. Casualty of war

Casualty of war Warlord

Moved my initial Settler to get the Spices in the first ring, and probably should have burned another Turn to settle on top. I sent my Religious Settlements Settler West out near the Bananas so it would grow at a decent clip. There was a Barb Camp out there, but being King the Barbs spawned then just stared at the city not knowing what to do; any higher difficulty they would have raised the city. I built two more Settlers, one sent East and one sent North to the river where there was actually a decent spot for a Campus. All my other cities were conquered ones, or Loyalty flipped.

I was heavily dependent on Sea science, and was running Free Inquiry for the first two Eras. I focused more on Theater Squares to benefit from my neighboring City-States and to make it difficult on anyone who forward settled me; if anyone does try to settle my continent they will just be donating me a city.

Methone was settled coastal, and fell pretty easily towards taking all or most of Alexander's kingdom. Suddenly he goes from no military to Archers and Hypaspists everywhere! Turned a quick strike into a costly, extended grind that almost pushed me to rage-quit. But eventually my tech advantage meant his troops couldn't compete.

Madrid was also coastal, and fell in a blink giving me a beachhead on that continent. Qin Shi Huang couldn't pass up getting in on grinding Spain into dust, and declared shortly afterwards. Suddenly I'm involved in two Military Emergencies, one to defend Methone from Norway and Macedonia and one to liberate Valladolid from China with the assistance of Persia and Khmer. China actually has good spots for Campuses, so I've been chewing away at their nation with the Emergency as an excuse.

The biggest surprise is how few Civs settled, or defended, their coasts. As a result the world is FULL of nautical Barbs. It took forever to find the Vendian continent because I had to sail through a sea of red.

4. Samouraibapt

Samouraibapt Chieftain

- Where did you settle your cities? Started capital 1W on the hill, founded 5 other cities on the continent + 2 more on the continent of alex & wilhelmine. Tried to settle next to reefs to get adj bonus for campus

- What did you research and which policies did you choose and why? mining for chops in the capital (with magnus), pottery & irrigation as I took the culture pantheon for plantations (lots of them in the area)

- What was your build order? scout settler settler govt plaza +AH, settlers in the capital. monument/builder then Campuses and harbours in the other cities

- How soon did you build a District? Which ones did you prioritize? I placed the campuses

- How did you place your districts? next to reefs, not many nice adjacencies for them unfortunately

- Did you emphasize expansion? How many cities have you built/captured in the first 100 turns? 7 cities by turn 90, I want to push for some more as I have some more room to expand

- How did you play your governance cards, priorities? started with the faith one, then %settler/builder/+1prod

- What City-States did you meet and which ones did you cultivate to your side? the 2 culture ones on the continent

- Were your neighbors peaceful? no direct neighbours, overall they like me

- Any surprises? yeah I missed the 1st golden age, sucks :(

I think overall I overfocused on campuses, I should have explored more with galleys and more focused on harbors. Something feels off on this game, overconfident on king so I didn't focus well. I don't think my start is going to lead in any pleasant game. Maybe switch to military...

Should I have started with holy sites? I saw is some previous 6OTM that faith into science games can be pretty fast...
    I'll see if I finish this game, right now I don't want to click on next turn for 200 more turns

5. Vlad Dracula

Vlad Dracula Chieftain

Lately I've been trying to get the monumentality golden ages to buy settlers and builders with faith.

6. Velvet glove

Velvet glove Chieftain

Status summary
    • Turn: 102
    • Cities: 6, one of which captured and am just about to capture Rapa Nui in a few turns. One settler en route.
    • Total population: 43
    • Classical golden age, Medieval starts in 10-20 turns, will be golden too.
    • Tech and civics are in Medieval, tech is just Apprenticeship but civics am starting on Merchant republic.
    • Districts: 5 harbours with lighthouses, several IZs in construction, 2 campuses with libraries (and more than enough as I want to settle a few more cities before districts get super expensive), 1 HS, 1 completed Entertainment complex for the Colloseum but haven't started on it yet.
    • GPs: got all classical admirals for all the good they are doing me, a prophet and Hypathia (she was third in line and I passed on the other two as I had most of the eurekas already)
    • Religion: Not emphasising it at all, and got Zen Meditation and Religious Colonization not to expend missionaries. Will get Church property or Stewardship when I get theology.
    • Standing army: three archers, the starting warrior, 2 galleys and 3 quadriremes.
    • Exploration: have uncovered 95% of the map, met all other civs and 15 city states.
    • CS: Aware of 15. 2 captured by AI. Am attacking Rapa Nui. Peaceful with 12, only 2 suzes but 26 envoys total.
    Plan and goals:
    • The overaching goal is to have Magnus with Vertical Integration in London and feed as many IZs as possible so the space projects complete rapidly as they are sequential. So I planned with some subopmital city locations to maximize how many cities I can pack with IZs within 6 tiles.
    • Overall I'm happy with the start but made a total mess of the mid-game (I'm still new to civ6) and now need to get more settlers out and get the IZs and green districts constructed.
    • Currently buildings infrastructure - IZs and then greens.
    • At war with Rapa Nui and will take Vilnius next. I'll keep them until I get TSs, then sell them to the AI, flip them but reject them, and liberate them. (Later will take Vilnius again for the Vertical integration). Probably will go to war with the AIs too, but I focused too much on fleet and need more land troops and now am doing infrastructure and more settlers.
    City locations
    • The capital was 1W from the starting location to make an aqueduct triangle though I changed my mind later and spaced out the cities a little so they don't take London's tiles.
    • About 20 turns into the game I made a very detailed plan about what will go where and the endgame - mostly revolved around Vertical Integration and making London a mega-producer.
    • The second city was a little east just above the diamonds, and the third was west next to the two bananas but on their eastern side to allow for another city that can feed London via Vertical integration.
    • My fourth was a remote city (though still on the continent) with 26 shallow water tiles and just enough space for districts and wonders for a massive Mausoleum + Pingala city. Managed to complete the Oracle there so it will be a powerful art, science and GP centre.
    • The fifth is a bit south of London, just north of Rapa Nui and is where the Colosseum will be.
    • The sixth was a captured one, not saying which for spoilers.
    • A settler is on its way and more will be comin
    • Also will capture Rapa Nui and Vilnius very soon.
    Game progress
    • Started with builder and settler and a few more builders for exploration and a monument. Only one slinger eventually to deal with some barbs. Only one settler prior to Ancestral Hall since culture progressed so quickly.
    • Went with Classical republic first until I build the Ancestral Hall to unlock its legacy, then switched to Autocracy.
    • Built a HS first without planning on it because I urgently needed a district for the inspiration - was planning to start with Harbours. Got a religion from it, Zen meditation and religious colonization. Keeping it to myself, will get stewardship or church property at some point and leave it there.
    • Had a major detour with the Apadana, I was planning on building it later but I saw an AI working on it and went for it, in retrospect I think setters would have served me better.
    • Major pain with districts as I was constantly short on population and needed to finish just one more to get a discount. I generally waited to get the discount and it resulted in quite a suboptimal progress. Made a mistake with the capital adding an encampment that I didn't really need and now waiting to 13 before I can start on the IZ.
    • Just managed to get a Classical golden age. Monumentality and was super useful for builder exploration (speed 4 embarked). Only 10-nish faith output but being able to buy builders has been very useful. Medieval will start in 10-20 turns and I already have 40 points over what's needed for Golden...
    Governors
    • Liang first
    • Amani next, helped to get Classical golden age. Also great for exploring when getting an envoy upon meeting - settle Amani and in 5 turns have visibility around the CS.
    • Magnus
    • Magnus Provision
    • Liang Fisheries
    • Next probably Pingala with Culture/Science/GP, and will upgrade Magnus to Vertical Integration when I get to factories.
    Wonders
    • Apadana in London
    • Oracle in the planned Mausoleum-Pingala shallow water mega-art-centre. Will do the Mausoleum there too but later.
    • Will start on the Colossem soon.
    Notable mistakes
    • Very stupidly and unnecessarily lost my first slinger to a barb spearman
    • Declared friendship with one AI and then realised I could have easily invaded them with levying a nearby CS as they seemed to have lost their military to barbs and were completely open.
    • Took religious colonizations as a belief and totally didn't realise I need a majority religion for new cities to start with it...
    • Allowed too many things to get in the way of settlers and now feel very behind on production.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2020
  7. Zedseayou

Zedseayou Chieftain

Another attempt at learning some more advanced SV strategies. Primarily, I'm learning to chop and move Magnus around, which I normally never do. It's a whole new experience and I'm slowly realising how bad some of the bonus resources are, not just defaulting to never harvesting and always placing improvements.

- Where did you settle your cities?
    I settled London in place, and then expos out to near river in the west, near river north, and one on the north side of the desert to build Pyramids. Settled 5 more after a break, placing them south and filling in gaps. I didn't really plan too far ahead with Factory placement or the Colosseum, which has led to a probably suboptimal arrangement (it's going to cover 6 cities, when it'd be great if it could cover 8. I guess 4 cpt isn't too much to cry over. I used the government building and the policy card the entire time, and chopped a few of the early ones as well.

- What did you research and which policies did you choose and why?
    I went straight for Political Philosophy -> Feudalism, to get +2 builders up. Research wise,I started with Mining but once I realised we were semi-isolated I took the opportunity to totally skip military and focused more on getting Sailing and two Galleys out. They've been scouting really well, giving me the Shipbuilding Eureka as well as collecting a lot of city state meets.

- What was your build order?
    Scout -> Slinger -> Builder -> Settlers. I made sure to get Magnus' 2nd title in time to kill the population loss, since it's so painstaking to raise population.

- How soon did you build a District? Which ones did you prioritize?
    Placing campuses everywhere, but also I placed cities with Royal Navy Dockyards in mind. No Holy Sites, getting 20 faith from a hut for Religious Settlements was enough. Now starting to place a few IZ and hopefully will have a theater square or commercial hub up in some places too.

- How did you place your districts?
    Campuses, mostly whereever I could find space. Limited mountain adjacency on this continent.

- Did you emphasize expansion? How many cities have you built/captured in the first 100 turns?
    No military, because of how much room we had to work with. I

- How did you play your governance cards, priorities?
    +2 builders was a priority, as was +50% settler production for a long time. I've been swapping in the tile purchase discount as needed, as well as the wonder card for Pyramids (and probably again Colosseum/Petra, if I'm dumb enough to still build the latter)
    The extra envoy on first envoy has been really key as well, since my exploration has given me a few first contacts. Notably, Babylon and the other science CS on an empty continent. I had banked 2 envoys since Vilnius and Rapa Nui didn't really need them, and this card let me insta suz, and then levy from one to keep exploring and collect a ton of goodie huts. I've gotten probably another 3-400 gold, a governor title, and a good inspiration/eureka from the extra huts I've found, which has really paid off.

- What City-States did you meet and which ones did you cultivate to your side?
    Science ones are all suz'd, one with Amani's help. Rapa Nui I may suz later to try and get some more culture going, since it is really lagging now. Having the two culture CS nearby to start was really killer though, helping get to Feudalism by T79.

- Were your neighbors peaceful?
    Alex has been warmongering but didn't affect me.

- Any surprises?
    Nope.

Mistakes have included placing pyramids in the wrong spot and occupying a nice +4 campus, losing a few scouting units to barbs, and missing the Classical Golden Age. Having Monumentality right now would be really nice, but without the era score from natural wonders and other early exploration it just wasn't in the cards.

Attached Files: