1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

6otM79 After Action

Discussion in 'Civ6 - Game Of The Month' started by leif erikson, Jan 14, 2020.

1. leif erikson

leif erikson Game of the Month Fanatic Administrator Supporter GOTM Staff

Welcome to the 6otM79 After Actions Report thread. In this thread you can post the results of your game. Please state victory date and score (preferably in the post title), as recorded in the Hall of Fame, and the most important: your path to glory!

STOP - Please do not continue reading this thread until you have completed and submitted your game.

Please attached your victory save to your post.

- How many cities did you settle, or capture?
    - What did you prioritize for research and policies?
    - What did you build for an Army and Navy and how did it change?
    - Did you use your UU/UB? Were they useful?
    - What was your most useful unit?
    - Was diplomacy useful? How?
    - Were City-States helpful? Did any other civ give you a hard time about city-states?
    - Did religion play a role in your game?
    - What was your strategy, how did you gain your Culture VC?
    - How many cities did you take with military?
    - How many Dark Ages and/or Golden Ages did you have? Did you have a strategy?
    - What effect did Loyalty have on your settling or conquering? How did you mitigate its effects?
    - Any surprises you ran into, how did you deal with it?
    - Did you enjoy your game?

Please use spoiler tags for any surprise details you'd like kept hidden. Thanks.

Players are encouraged to provide feedback on the game. Some players like to replay the game, and although we will not record the results from a replay, you can still post your new experiences (please state if the game is a replay). Please refrain from posting videos until the deadline for submission is over.

2. Casualty of war

Casualty of war Warlord

Dark then Heroic then Golden then Dark then Heroic then Golden. Pericles was the early problem, gobbling up all the cheap Great Artists and constantly challenging me for suzerainity of the Cultural City-States. Then Cyrus was the late game problem, shooting ahead in Domestic Tourists every time I got close; I was within a few turns of converting him for dozens of Turns. He kicked out my Rock Bands so I had to go tour Arabia and blast Cyrus with the overflow.

Turn 259/260 CV. I think I'm getting worse at this game. Thank you kindly.

Spoiler :
    upload_2020-1-16_10-34-58.png

Attached Files:

3. Samouraibapt

Samouraibapt Chieftain

Turn 275 Cultural victory

- How many cities did you settle, or capture? settled 13 cities, flipped 6 cities from Pericles. I forward settled Cleopatra & Cyrus early in the chokepoints, with one encampment+walls on Cyrus to make sure he doesn't bother me too much (it worked).

- What did you prioritize for research and policies? HS then campuses, tech/civics to get eurekas, cartography when I understood I would need it to find the other IAs... Then computers & Steel. For civics, the one for naturalists after getting the theology government

- What did you build for an Army and Navy and how did it change? not much of an army the whole game

- Did you use your UU/UB? Were they useful? The bath is super useful, I settled most of my cities off water with bath first

- What was your most useful unit? Naturalists! Spammed ~10 parks

- Was diplomacy useful? How? Get a ton of diplo favor to sell to the AI

- Were City-States helpful? Did any other civ give you a hard time about city-states? The 2 religious ones helped me quite a lot. I found the 3 cultural around turn 140, a bit late IMO

- Did religion play a role in your game? Yes, I wanted to test the cultural victory with relics... But I forgot to take reliquaries, took choral music instead (reflex). No replay :( At the end I was getting more than 600 faith/turn/ I stayed in theocracy almost the entire game (skipped the tier3 governments)
    I didn't want to take religious settlements for once, so went with the pasture pantheon (lots of them around!)

- What was your strategy, how did you gain your Culture VC? I wanted to try Mt St Michel to get martyr apostles, then a ton of faith to spam naturalists (map was nice for this). Walls everywhere as a backup tourism supply.Then steel to get a nice appeal with eiffel tower

- How many cities did you take with military? 1 free city with 1 musketman

- How many Dark Ages and/or Golden Ages did you have? Did you have a strategy? I missed the 1st golden age, then all golden. Went for monumentality, then the production boost to campus (didn't have many trade routes the whole game)

- What effect did Loyalty have on your settling or conquering? How did you mitigate its effects? I flipped 6 cities from Pericles as he stayed in normal/dark ages the whole game

- Any surprises you ran into, how did you deal with it? Cyrus didn't declare war on me at all! Happily surprised. I think the IA was lost trying to settle cities without fresh water, most of them were very low pop.

- Did you enjoy your game? Yes, it was my first attempt with martyr apostles, I regret missing the reliquaries it should have shaved some turns off
    The end was a bit boring as Cyrus was n°2 in culture behind me but he and Saladin closed their borders to my rock bands.... So I spammed the crap out of Cleopatra as revenge. Got 3 level-2 rock bands :)

Moderator Action: We try to maintain a family friendly site, please do not use words that evade the autocensor. I've changed your post, but not the meaning. leif

It was mainly a simcity game, got 1 silly war with pericles and that's all.
    Spoiler :

20200117024730_1.jpg

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 16, 2020
  4. Chrumo

Chrumo Chieftain

244 CV Score 1062

That game was very taxing, almost stressful. The last 50 turns were a grind - no suitable locations for parks, and spamming dozens of rock (dis)bands.

Spoiler Turn 244 :

CV244.jpg

9 settled, 2 flipped, 3 captured.
    Rushed legionaries, and then realised that there is no logistic way to attack anyone close. Then researched musketmen to defend against Cyrus. As for policies, rushed rock bands.
    I started building units way too late, when I noticed that Cyrus already has his units on my border. Barely managed to defend, and struggled for 40 turns to push past the Termopiles-like choke point between mountain ranges. After finally breaking through the immortals, I started taking cities and then overextended my units for a turn, so I had to call for immidiate peace as to not lose my musketmen to focused ranged fire.
    Obviously, as Trajan is one of the strongest leaders in the game.
    Musketman.
    I managed to meet most city states and civs very early, and traded with them to maintain good relations.
    - Were City-States helpful? Did any other civ give you a hard time about city-states?
    Grenada was constantly being put to war against me, as Cyrus was constantly sending his envoys there. Other then that, the city-state which provides fresh water to your cities was invaluable.
    I got one, but I had no spare faith to use on any missionaries.
    By grinding it out with 30+ rock bands...
    Just 3 cities. Would have taken more, but I made a mistake when moving my units.
    Two goldens, one dark, one normal and one golden if I remember correctly. It was very hard to get era score later on.
    - What effect did Loyalty have on your settling or conquering? How did you mitigate its effects?
    No negative effects, but I was surprised how much pressure did my cities exert on other civs. Managed to flip a couple cities off Greece and Egypt.
    The mountain ranges made it impossible to launch an offensive, so I had to abandon my plans of early conquest and go for delayed mass-settling.
    Very much! This might have been one of my favourite games so far, seemed very balanced and my AI opponents were really putting up a fight :)

Thank you for an amazing game

Attached Files:

5. Ceydezed

Ceydezed Chieftain

Turn 225 (according to HoF) or 226 (according to screenshot) Culture Win

- How many cities did you settle, or capture? I settled maybe 10 cities, and captured i believe 5 from Greece.
    - What did you prioritize for research and policies? When i realized Pericles was in the game i rushed Oracle and TS to get the first writers. After this when he attacked me i went crossbow - knights. After this i followed a quite normal cultural path.
    - What did you build for an Army and Navy and how did it change? I had a couple of knights and crossbows who defended me against Pericles then captured 4-5 cities from him.
    - Did you use your UU/UB? Were they useful? I used a couple of Legions. Bath were obvioiusly quite important due to the lack of rivers.
    - What was your most useful unit? Knights
    - Was diplomacy useful? How? I was mostly peaceful, and i tried to maintain good relation with neighbors to ensure open borders. When Pericles attacked me and i captured his biggest cities, Cleopatra denounced me, but eventually came back to reason. At the end Persia refused to renew the friendship, and 4-5 turns after game ended they actually backstabbed me. Typical.
    - Were City-States helpful? Did any other civ give you a hard time about city-states? It was nice to have 3 cultural city states to use the Kilwa. When Pericles attacked me he had both Grenada and Preslav so i had to defend on multiple front. In the end game the alcazar were enjoyable.
    - Did religion play a role in your game? I didnt get one but Cleo had one and she converted me, as she had the faith per wonder it gave me a decent output of faith, which was nice for parks and rock bands. I also inherited many holy sites from Pericles.
    - What was your strategy, how did you gain your Culture VC? I rushed Oracle and pumped out great writers quite quickly, i think i had 4 or 5 before even having a second amphitheater. After this i was cruising to victory, especially with Pericles land that was full of amphitheaters.
    - How many cities did you take with military? 5
    - How many Dark Ages and/or Golden Ages did you have? Did you have a strategy? I had one normal age in the middle (industrial maybe) of golden ages.
    - What effect did Loyalty have on your settling or conquering? How did you mitigate its effects? None
    - Any surprises you ran into, how did you deal with it? Seeing a lot of culturally strong neighbors forced me to focus on getting art early and quickly. Pericles attacked me despite being far and friendly, and even if his attack was not very dangerous i had to adapt and build walls and knights.
    - Did you enjoy your game? Yep, thanks!

Spoiler Victory screen :

upload_2020-1-18_16-49-40.png

Attached Files:

6. Victoria

Victoria Regina Supporter

CV 195
    Built 6, Captured 5
    Knights and Feudalism Basically, then Just rushing to computers and Online Communities
    5sling-xbow and 4chariot- knights and 1 spear for the eureka 3 Warrior-musket
    Yes I guess they were
    Traders... I made a point of not using rock bands. I guess Campus were also very useful, great adjacencies early.
    Yes, I was joint attacked by Peri and Cyrus so I had enough grievances to take a few cities off both, took 1 too many and gave 1 back in peace (after an emergency against me) as giving one back removes the -18 to avoid future denouncements
    Mohenjo Daru, and Rapa Nui
    None whatsoever
    I thought I would do a traditional and only used Rapa Nui ability as I could see a risk of going over 200.
    I took 7 but gave 2 back to avoid diplomatic backlash.
    Golden all the way, The renaissence one was a little close. I was 4 short with 2 turns left so I levied some city state troops
    Very minor, just used a governor for the sake of it, knights and no walls makes life too easy. KNight rush is still a very valid approach to life.
    I lost my warrior early to stupidity, the joint war was a surprise and failed to get Kilwa.
    Yes, only played this map once before in another GOTM as egypt. Tend not to play because it is a lot of land but the large internal sea was interesting for a CV
    Gonna play it again now I know the lay of the land and will take a different approach
    I did reload a couple of times early in the game because of my stupid mouse so its not valid but the map was played innocently. Even loading the initial game my mouse decided to move my settler, gotta sort it, getting annoying, its just an old friend going bad.
    Spoiler :

I should have builty a harbour a lot earlier to get further trade routes and also get a settler to the other side of the board faster. You need to keep open borders and trade routes every turn.
    This map looks like a classic Rapa Nui/flight CV map so am going to try that approach. maybe with some rock bands to counter Peri but playing a classic CV game seemed to work OK.

Some rather nice adjacencies.
    upload_2020-1-19_0-24-31.png

Built lots of wonders in Pharsalos just to annoy the greeks
    upload_2020-1-19_0-26-44.png

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 18, 2020
  7. Ihodael

Ihodael Chieftain

@Victoria, what was your thought process for settling Rome?

I placed Rome where you have Setia and 2nd city where you have Rome but I'm interested in understanding what would have made you sacrifice 3 turns for placing Rome there.

Edit: I started a fresh game and I believe I see it (maybe...): you moved the warrior on the hill, perhaps decided to cross river with settler for the hill and maintain max chops and then see the better virgin start at the river bend on 2nd turn warrior move?

Last edited: Jan 19, 2020
  8. Victoria

I had a mouse issue, clicked to open the game and the settler moved to the hill. Then looked at the starting position and it is useless, all 21 tiles and saw a 22 tile to the left so thought why not go down the river a turn. So I lost 2 turns as my city then settled on T3. Now because the start position shown no 22 in any direction I feel I had gained an unfair advantage due to my mouse cheating and anyway I just like to play these GOTM’s it’s not about being good because the likes of @Eyswein are better players, I have no patience to move slow.
    The joke is I would have restarted but it is to me a better position and I have started a new game and still gone to the same place. The problem is the start is not the best but you cannot see where to go for better options. I think I probable would have done that hill move anyway as it’s high ground for settler visibility.
    It matters little.
    After the game my batteries died on the mouse so thought it was that is selection is working better but nope, it seems the mouse button randomly selects so off to pcworld for me today.

Would you do that move now you are aware it is there?

9. Ihodael

Ihodael Chieftain

Regarding the mouse issue/unfair knowledge: I had an earlier version of my post where I was explicit about not making a judgment if you had map knowledge or not - I'm a builder/efficiency player (learning Civ6, but same for many other games) - so I don't care about reloads or map knowledge, or what not - I understand that is not the GotM philosophy - so I just play the maps (which so far are always great) and don't really care about the ladder.

Don't know about @Eyswein, but you seem pretty above my level, so I'm just happy to learn from you, @DanQuayle and others. Once I reach your level, then I can worry about reaching higher... ;P.

I did settle a city where you Rome is in my 1st run, just in reverse order (2nd city).

Now on my second run (I'm doing a second one try to go near your 196 CV) it still makes sense (of course justification in hindsight is very partial but...):
    I moved (I bet almost everyone did) the warrior 1 SE (to the hill). That gave me visibility into the river bend with the bananas - that's 4 4 (2x3/1 + 2x2/2) tiles vs the start location which was nice but not as fueled. Moving the settler on the hill (turn 1 still) gives you full visibility of the river bend and it is a better position (unimproved) then where we start (as you mention).

What attracted me to the initial location were not the tiles but the 4 potential boosts from improvements but you can make that you 2nd location (or 3rd) and still get the boost if they matter (e.g., for quests). I presume we should care about these early boosts for speeding up+quests, right?

Last edited: Jan 19, 2020
    Victoria likes this.
  10. Victoria

This map is likely best done as a Dom - Rock bands. I just like doing traditional CV’s because it’s more in the spirit of the victory to me. Rock bands allow you to destroy all civs and then just bash the other one over the head with a guitar.
    Apologies just sensitive about the competitive nature of other players in this forum, glad you have the same attitude.
    My approach was to get granaries and campus down first then build slings and chariots and 3 warriors (I lost one) and wait to be attacked because slings make you look weak. Slightly cheesy but I enjoy it, baiting the trap so to speak and it gives a defensive tactics inspiration if you are lucky.
    You should always care about boosts until near the end. No idea about the iron there, I settled there because 22 tiles are far superior to 21 tiles at the start.

11. Ihodael

Ihodael Chieftain

Thank you, but no need - didn't consider your post offensive at all.

Ty, great advice - will try and put that into practice.

If you do a 2nd run please share it, if it is not inconvenient - I always learn a lot just from checking the maps that you (the better players) share with us.

Another question (and apologies for so many... :S): did you consider worthwhile to settle the coastal city earlier (I settled it 3rd, for the boost) to send a builder as explorer even thought it is not a great city? Or should I have taken better city placements first and delay sailing?

12. Victoria

The secret to any victory condition is to fully concentrate on it, do not get distracted from the plan.
    In my write up you notice my best unit was my traders, that was at the end of the game they increased tourism through a trader route by 75%. Getting a useless city close enough to distant civs is what you want so you can trade with all civs. The coastal settle was opportunistic for the Rapa Nui approach which I never used that game, I will use it this game to see how it goes to show you why it’s there. My science was so huge I did not need the sailing eureka.
    Feel free with plenty of questions, that’s what GOTM is for, I still learn from it.
    I did chop a lot early by the way so if trying to replicate in some way, you do need to chop.

Eyswein likes this.
  13. Ihodael

Ihodael Chieftain

Cheers for your help and sportsmanship.

I presumed you did a lot of chopping (which is another plus for placing Rome there). I already understood that more efficient victories usually => "moar chopping".

On that I do have a question for you/expert players: I usually delay placing a district on woods/resources until I can get the chop - I presume that the potential extra cost for the district (accounting for techs/discounts) + the cost of the builder charge (even 3 charge builders) is offset by the speed up that I get from the chop, but not 100% sure.

Practical example: in your Rome location you place the Campus for the +4, on top of some woods (ofc, best location). I opted to have a builder there with a final charge for a chop. How do you evaluate such trade offs (in my case the chop finished my granary)? I'm divided because it think it is a even trade (that chop cost me about 30prod and gave me about 30prod) - but getting the benefit of the builder charge now seems better than waiting for later, given snowballing+inflation (notice that I didn't build the builder for this - I had one with a charge remaining and no relevant improvements to do).

Btw I have the exact same feelings regarding GotM - I understand that for top players it might be a ladder race but for those still learning it allows us to see how to improve (re. efficient victories).

Again ty for your time and help.

14. Victoria

I went scout, settler (2nd settler from religious settlements) builder. The third city settled north west has a campus tile in its border with wood on so chopped that, then waited for the expansion for Rome’s campus which meant I had Magnus.
    It was a decision based on what do I build now, settler (expensive but still worth it), granary...v tempting, and builder. I left sling a bit to seem weak but kept an eye on my borders. Now, they key is... I have a 50% settler card in play, with Magnus so even if building something else it is worth swapping to settler to chop then swap back.
    save it, horsemanship through cow or sheep? Or apprenticeship are all good choices or settler chop is always great.

Eyswein likes this.
  15. Eyswein

Eyswein Warlord

T144/145, Culture Victory
    Note: Time is HoF / Victory Screen in game; not sure why they are different

Spoiler Ancient Era T1-51 :

Cities:
    1-Rome
    (SIP): Scout, Tile (for pasture), Builder (from TV), Settler, Settler (from Pantheon), Scout, Slinger x2, Warrior x2, Builder, Tile (for HS), Gov Plaza, Holy Site, Trader (Ostia->Rome), Ancestral Hall, Settler
    21-Antium (3E/2NE): Slinger, Builder x3 (1w/gold; all w/ Liang)
    28-Ostia (6N/5NE): Holy Site

Science: AH, Mining, Astrology, BW, Pottery, Writing, Archery
    Culture: CoL (Sur/GK), Craft (Agoge, UP), FT, SW (Sur), EE, PolPhil (CR – UP, Ilk, DL, Sur), Mysticism (UP, Col, CL, Rev)
    Policies note: Survey goal was to get two scouts to L2 for faster exploration; sadly first scout found TV-NatWon, negating the effect of survey completely, but at least getting L1 – really hate how the extra experience is just lost, turning +30 into 15/45; warrior found NatWon to south, ‘stealing’ the +20 discovery from my other scout, but it got L1 from barbarian combat
    Governors: Liang, Magnus x2, Pingala x2 (1 from TV)

Military: No Navy; 3x warrior, 3x slinger, 2x scout
    Diplomacy: met 17-Greece, 24-Egypt, 30-Persia, 46-Ottomans; already friends with Egypt/Persia; Egypt giving me -13 due to weak military
    Trading: holding luxuries, but +20g/t from trading resources as of T51
    City States: met 6, no Suz yet; saving 1 envoy to see what new quests I get; annoyingly have GW quest from a religious city state
    Religion: Pantheon, Religious Settlements on T18
    Wonders: None
    Era Score: reached 31/25, so may have gone overboard with the GovPl, then HS for +3, but at the time didn’t want to take any chance I would miss it
    For position, see map attached below.

Spoiler Classic Era T52-91 :

Golden Age: Exodus of the Evangelicals
    Note: Only use during this phase was faster religion and 2 missionaries to convert my cities; may have been better off with Monumentality for this age, then Exodus the rest of the game

Cities:
    1-Rome
    (SIP): 3x Settlers; add Comm Hub, Theater, Shrine, Temple, …
    21-Antium (3E/2NE): add HS w/Shrine/Temple, …
    28-Ostia (6N/5NE): add Shrine, Temple; working on Mahabodhi Temple
    60- Cumae (forward settled into double digit negative loyalty from Egypt, but used Liang/happiness/religion to counteract); 62- Ravena, 64-Puteoli, 67-Mediolanum (chop in Mont St Michael); Cumae/Ravena build +5/+4 campuses

Science: Currency, etc. (setting up for eventual Printing)
    Culture: generally, beeline to T85-Divine Rights; do other stuff (Feudalism) while waiting on boosts
    Policies: Scripture pretty solid; other swapping as needed; as of T91 UP, Scripture, CL, Serfdom
    Governors: added to Pingala x3, Amani

Military: No Navy; upgrade 2 slingers to archers; lose a slinger to barbarians; third scout from TV
    Diplomacy: met all; friends with 5
    Trading: +139 from deals; all cities ecstatic from incoming luxuries
    City States: met 10, Suz with 3 (it was 5, but lost 2 to other Civs, plan to get them back); saving 2 envoys to see what new quests I get w/ 4 I currently can’t/won’t do
    Religion: T57, Reliquaries, Holy Order
    Wonders: T89-Mont St Michael; working on Mahabodhi Temple; hadn’t even started Apadana when someone else completed it
    Era Score: reached 73/66 for another GA
    For position, see map attached below.

Spoiler Turn 100 :

Trading
    : -57 from deals to buy 2 relics ( -15 Egypt, -35 Arabia) and 1 great work of writing
    Tourism: 91

Spoiler Turn 126 :

Cities:
    Greek city flipped to me; chopped in Holy Site w/ Temple and chopping more cities
    Science: Printing & Castles
    Culture: Colonialism; goal of Conservation
    Policies: Limes, Scripture, Colonization, Raj Dip League, Republican Legacy
    Governors: Pingala to Curator
    Military: Legion for era score; Third Archer for boost; defense and exploration only
    Diplomacy: allies w/ 5, friends w/ 1; denounced by Egypt
    Trading: +229 & -99 from deals (trade all; get luxuries for ecstatic happiness; bought all relics and great works of writing – total of 2 relics and 4 GW)
    City States: finally met all 12 on T112; Suz of 8
    Religion: spammed apostles and filled relic slots; injured apostles now running away until I can chop in more cities with HSs with temples
    Tourism: 323
    You can see in attached my full slots and 3 injured apostles in retreat.

Spoiler To End of Game :

Cities:
    11 total; 7 initial, 1 flipped, 3 more late game (no wars)
    Science: Nothing noteworthy
    Culture: Conservation, working Cultural Heritage
    Religion: injured Apostles still hanging out waiting on slots to become martyrs
    Tourism: 468 (14 relics, 12 GW of writing, 0 artifacts, 3 national parks starting T140, 3 wonders, multiple city walls); Persia was my bane at 55 domestic tourism vs the next highest of Saladin at 39 dt; war instead of alliance with Persia may have been better

1) Big Plan was relics, relics, relics; and then more relics
    2) I was at 7 cities by T67, eventually putting Temples in all of them for a total of 10 relic slots; filled these and had to spam more cities late game
    3) Initially Apostles went multiple ways trying to find ‘combat’; big jump was Egypt dropping in two gurus that healed each other for my apostles to die against
    4) Working on Culture Influence to other civilizations:
    +25% Open Borders: 6-7 of 7 had them; couldn’t renew during Egypt denouncements, but did when could
    +25% Trade Routes: 4 of 7 had them; didn’t take time to forward settle a city for routes to the other 3 civs
    -50% Different Religion negative: 1-4 civs had this negative over the course of the game; I converted enough cities in each civ to eliminate the negative without converting the cities they were making religious units with; only Ottomans escaped my conversions completely; at one time only Ottomans had the -50% tourism for it, but ended with 2 of 7 having it; if they added a bonus for same religion, I would have spread my religion even more
    -50% Enlightenment negative: Persia got this late game

- Did you enjoy your game? Absolutely; great work as always

Attached Files:

AlannaT, Bangau, Samouraibapt and 3 others like this.
  16. Eyswein

Eyswein Warlord

I generally wait for the chop also. One exception would be a major need. For example, I have no builders nearby, I have a +4 campus square that will be me an era score bonus, can build a campus in 7 turns, there are 8 turns till the next era, and I'm short of the golden age threshold and the era score will get me there or get me close. Then I skip the wait for the bigger bonus.

17. Ihodael

Ihodael Chieftain

Ty, @Eyswein and @Victoria. This is definitely something I have to improve. I keep forgetting about them in the rush to click next turn (and then I regret them and have to backtrack 10 turns to do them... :S).

It seems that to reach the next level I have to create a checklist for each turn... :D

Also, Eyswein, tyvm for the detailed play-through.

18. Eyswein

Eyswein Warlord

No problem!! The way I got better at this game is reading other peoples posts in the GOTM and throughout CivFanatics forums, especially the strategy guides that @Victoria made, which are absolutely phenomenal. I think the only reason my turn times are lower is doing significantly more micromanagement, which requires more real world time. When I play faster, the games take significantly more turns, but I can play lots more games.

I don't have a checklist for each turn per se, but thinking about it there are some things I generally look at each turn (some take less than a second):
    1) Science/Culture - do I want to keep researching what I am? Consider boosts I don't have yet and whether they are worth waiting for. Very early on may consider cost of upcoming districts (slow it down) or chopping (speed it up).
    2) New policies - before swapping, is there anything I want to use that I currently have? Things like double first envoy or extra charge workers.
    3) Any changes to city builds or placement of workers? I micromanage this early on, then almost never. Early on considering if I need faster growth if I forward settle. If about to get something like agoge, food prior to it if I can get growth, production during a bonus. Also, since overflow production is lost, early on I may be swapping back and forth between production and food. Later it isn't worth the bang for the buck (to me), but when you have 1-3 cities, it can be big. Probably need to do more of it later in game for a focus on things such as science workers, but I just use emphasis buttons. I spend more overall time looking at city dynamics when I have 3 than when I have 30.
    4) Movement
    5) Trading

I really wish they would develop some in game helpers to eliminate micromanagement while still getting most of the effects. Queues are nice, but minor. For example, being able to set a reminder if you are 1 turn away from potentially wanting to swap research when a boost is coming up for what you are researching, just like you have to change selection after you complete researching something. I can set options for faster movement/combat, why not have some more research/trading/etc. options. Trading really needs some micromanagement helpers, especially for larger games, as I think this is the #1 micromanagement sink for me. I'd like to be able to say: I want to trade 20 of resource X and the game tell me who will give the best deal; really hate that one Civ will offer 4g/t when another will offer 12g/t for the same thing; spending the time checking 7 civs for the best deal is a time sink. Same in reverse. For a game like this one, being able to set that I want to trade for relics so a trade screen pops up whenever one is found would be really nice. In a normal game, being able to say I want to trade for lux's (usually for a happiness threshold) would also be very useful - oh, and setting on option so the ones I already have are greyed out would be useful. And so on.

Victoria likes this.
  19. lotrmith

lotrmith Prince

Spoiler :

How many cities did you settle, or capture?
    Settled 9, Captured 4 (Granada, Jerusalem both as suzerain DOWs, and 2x from Persia... lost one back from Persia to Arabia due to his emergency response). Loyalty-Flipped that one back and another from Persia towards the end.
    Played kinda sand-boxy until around t200 I realized I needed to hard focus Tourism research and refocused.
    No Navy. Early legions I thought I could take advantage of (I did not want to warmonger) but in response to a Persian invasion.
    Built them, not particularly useful... The terrain here was just not very favorable.
    The archers that I upgraded through the tech tree. Also the one siege tower that let my legions rip open Granada and one Persian walled city before going mostly obsolete.
    Surprisingly no. I thought my Military Alliance with Gilgamesh would help stave off Arabia who was snowballing hard, but alas Gilga did very little to keep him at bay.
    Very useful. I went hard on ancient/classic wonders with Apandana and got to suzerain most of the CS. Tons of early era scores and DP which I traded away to leverage the gold. Rapanui Moai statues put me to the CV.
    Yes though I had not planned on it. I was surprised I was able to get Stonehenge, so I took Divine Inspiration to get +4faith from my wonders which I was able to leverage in Classical/Medieval/Renaissance golden age Monumentalities.

I did choose Goddess of the Hunt as it looked very promising both nearby and with a Settling path north towards Tsingy. ((It also allowed me to chop the woods under those resources without a net production-per-turn loss))

I had planned on early culture through wonders which I was able to do well but then I lost focus. I should have done more early with Moai and Theater Squares. I refocused around T200 and kinda hit End Turn the last 50 or so turns waiting for the tourism to pile up from my empire of Moai. Rock bands were of minimal use to me.
    4 (two were CS)
    My typical strategy is to try for early Monumentalities which I did here in Classic/Medi/Ren. I went Dark in Industrial, Normal Modern, Golden Atomic.
    Flipped a couple cities from Persia as Arabia started carving him up but overall that didn't mean much.
    Persia invaded which was no surprise. I hold grudges so after I took his Granada CS I wasted time going through the choke and taking two of his cities, which triggered an emergency and I lost one city back to neighboring Arabia. I held the other and Loyalty flipped the lost one and one additional back, but it was a waste of time. It also left me vulnerable as Arabia was snowballing and I wasn't paying attention. I should have war-mongered Greece early or something when I had a large science lead, but I did not. Arabia actually invaded me over the ocean with Curiasser Armies and took two of my cities by surprise! He lost them immediately to Loyalty and the rebel Infantry cleaned him up, and I flipped the cities back, but this cost me a LOT of lost time.

I was also extremely surprised to not only get Apandana out first (go Trajan), but to follow up with Artemis, Gardens, Bath, Stonehenge, and Oracle.

Yes and No. This is one of the only times I've gone non-sandboxy and honestly losing focus and having to reel myself back in was annoying, but also I enjoyed the challenge and being able to compare to others. Looking forward to more.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 20, 2020
  20. Samouraibapt

Samouraibapt Chieftain

I'd like to thank everyone for your explanations! Reading the GOTM after playing them is very instructive. It shows that there are several ways to win a single game! And there is a lot to learn...

@Eyswein , Thanks for the thorough write-up! Why did you start with Liang for your 1st governor? Is it to get 4-charges builder sooner for the chops with Magnus to follow? I never thought about it except for China to get the wonders rolling.

@Victoria , 4 wonders & 2 districts in a 6-pop city in a 195-turn game, is it all magnus chopping or I am missing something? Internal trade routes? Anyway, I feel like I underestimate chopping in all of my games.