1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

6otM82 After Action

Discussion in 'Civ6 - Game Of The Month' started by Knowtalent, Mar 1, 2020.

1. Knowtalent

Knowtalent Emperor GOTM Staff

Welcome to the 6otM 82 After Actions Report. In this thread you can post the results of your game. Please state victory date and score and the save choice (preferably in the post title), as recorded in the Hall of Fame, and the most important: your path to glory!

STOP - Please do not continue reading this thread until you have completed and submitted your game

Please attached your victory save to your post.

- How many cities did you settle or capture?

- What did you prioritize for research and policies?

- Did you bother with religion?

- How did you pump your science??

- Were City-States helpful?

- Any surprises you ran into, how did you deal with it?

- Did you enjoy the game?

Please use spoiler tags for any surprise details you'd like kept hidden. Thanks.

Players are encouraged to provide feedback on the game. Some players like to replay the game, and although we will not record the results from a replay, you can still post your new experiences (please state if the game is a replay). Please refrain from posting videos until the deadline for submission is over.

Knightfall likes this.
  2. Casualty of war

Casualty of war Prince

So many Barbs, so many floods, so many volcanic eruptions. I waited til Swordsmen to go acquire the Southern neighbors and probably should have just gone with Warriors. Terrible Campus spots in the homeland but thankfully the South built me some nice ones.

My counterspy killed the Spy who blew up my main Mainz Spaceport but they still accomplished their sabotage. There went 3 Turns!

Turn 245 SV, 1845 score.

Spoiler :
    upload_2020-3-1_5-15-9.png

3. Dekrznator

Dekrznator Chieftain

Turn 280 SV
    Nice and easy game where I didn't rush anything and focused first on establishing my empire by poking china and few city states and then switching to science.
    Religion was first thing to go for since that volcano offers great spots for holy sites...it would be a shame to let it slip.
    I settled only 5 cities and took the rest from neighbours...with china first, and hawk boy when I got to artillery beacuse I didn't want to bother breaking through his +10 again golden age civs perk.
    All ages were golden and I ended up as suz of most city states.
    Only suprise in game was that ******* volcano next to capital which blew up atleast 6-7 times. It was soooo annoying to repair stuff all the time. Also amount of barbs on the map was so big I had to keep several units in homeland just counter constant camp spawn :(

Map is great for hansa shuffeling, I managed to get +12 in capitol...going to start game again to see if I can get it better this time.

Spoiler :

Spoiler :

Last edited: Mar 4, 2020
  4. Monthar

Monthar Deity

SV Turn 276 Sore 2817

I took over my continent and a good chunk of the other one. However, I got too distracted building districts and buildings.

Attached Files:

5. bteall

bteall Chieftain

I don't think I was militant enough at the beginning. Turn 357, score of 1234. But, it was fun and my first GOTM. Thanks for doing this!

Attached Files:

Casualty of war likes this.
  6. Chrumo

Chrumo Chieftain

Turn 240 SV 1551 Score

A simple, yet pleasant game, went for a huge district cluster between my main cities.
    Thanks for the game!
    Spoiler t240 :

20200307211503_1.jpg

Attached Files:

7. Eldiez10

Eldiez10 Chieftain

turn 222 SV score 1818

long time lurking

first time competing

seeing the start location i decied i wanted to try focus on religion with dance of the auora

- How many cities did you settle or capture? - Settled 20 cities cpatured 10

- What did you prioritize for research and policies? - i focused my initial research on astrology and then mining and sailing to get aminities and then just anything that boosted my prod

- What did you prioritize for research and policies? - my focus was getting PP asap abd then theologi for 100% faith could have gotten pp turn 43 but had to halt it due to overshooting my GAoldenage points

- Did you bother with religion? - yes it was my bread and butter this game dance of the auora and choralmusic church property and religious colonization , focues on getting theocracy asap purchasing sttlers and units with 15% discoount was nice

- How did you pump your science build 2 early Campuses, captures most of my campuses and then foucues on getting as many eurikas as possible

- Any surprises you ran into, how did you deal with it? well the + 10 combat strength for lauturus units made my conquest slower than planed

- Any surprises you ran into, how did you deal with it? hurricane turn 190 ravaged my cap and starport and set me back like 10 turns and ofc offworld mission was the last tech

would have uploaded a pic of the last turn but steam is down atm :/

Attached Files:

Casualty of war likes this.
  8. leif erikson

leif erikson Game of the Month Fanatic Administrator Supporter GOTM Staff

9. tarafran

tarafran Warlord

SV Turn 225
    - Settled 10 and captured around 30 cities

- first priority was iron working to get an army ready, making sure I got all my golden age.
    Conquered my continent
    Got a little late on naval tech as I got to England first ,finished all the other Civ but the Phoenicians in the north of the second land mass.
    Meanwhile I was spamming Hansa trying to get to the GE for space projects

- I did not bothering with religion till i got 3 quest from CS .I grabbed the last one with the culture belief as no one else was really trying for it

- How did you pump your science?? I captured a lots of juicy cities

- Were City-States helpful? did not levy any but ended suz of all of them still alive

- Any surprises you ran into, how did you deal with it? nothing beside the volcano wiping my cap citizens a few time

- Did you enjoy the game?yes as always thanks, just need a better way to deal with end game with so many cities ;)

Attached Files:

10. tobols

tobols Chieftain

My game isn't valid. I restarted the map after realizing what a sweet spot there was for a +15 production hansa, and decided to just have a fun builder game. (After murdering everyone else on my continent of course).

With that said, my spaceship reached it's destination on turn 221.
    Here are some screenshots!

Spoiler :
    upload_2020-3-10_20-44-25.png

Spoiler :
    upload_2020-3-10_20-45-26.png

Spoiler :

upload_2020-3-10_20-48-18.png

11. TheFinalChiTown

TheFinalChiTown Chieftain

T207 SV - *Not a valid entry. Accidentally captured the last enemy capital when I wasn't paying attention. I assumed the one without walls wasn't the capital... and was wrong. Exoplanet expedition arrived on turn 207.

Settled 7, captured all the rest except 12 CS.​
    Went hard at iron working for swordsman because there weren't horses nearby. Kind of wish I had just done an archer rush at Vilinius. Wanted to leverage Oligarchy so I teched Caravels and then Musketman.​
    Yes, went for one late. The first world congress banned great prophet points, so I didn't get one established until the Renaissance.​
    Got some +3 campuses on the West coast next to reefs. Luckily, Mapuche had some +3's already build when I conquered it. Took the Stewardship belief because I knew I would have campuses and CH's in most cities. In hindsight I with I had gone Choral Music. Built more campuses in the new world because there were tons of chops. Built Oxford.​
    The double XP from Kabul was great for early warring. Wish I had taken over some of the other military CS's since they didn't help much. Brussels made wonders easy to build. In general, all the industrial CS's buffed the Hansa's.
    **Possible bug? Granada's Alcaazar's weren't giving bonus science for appeal. This bug also happened for me with an earlier GotM. The Ottoman one, I think.​
    Lost a few turns at the end because my Spaceport in Berlin got submerged. It was worth to build it on a peninsula, Cape Canaveral style. Was surprised to be low on gold the whole game. Buying tiles for Hansa placement ate up a lot. Had a nice chop city set up for the moon landing, but couldn't get enough gold to buy a spaceport there. Ended up hard-building two spaceports in two of my main cities.​
    Very much. I thought the map was great for Germany.​

Attached Files:

12. Nassim

Nassim Chieftain

T255, 1772 points

First settled 3 cities north before capturing all China cities and then all Mapuche. Also conquered one CS (and kept one that the Mapuche had conquered), for a total of 11 captured cities. I also founded a few more cities North, one South for great campus adjacency. Ended up founding 8 cities, though I still don't understand how I got that last settler.

Tried mostly to head straight to the ones needed for CV victory... forgot once again that the ones to gain speed for the spaceship were hidden at the end...

Not at all

Campuses, campuses everywhere !

A bit for wonder building and keeping up on culture

Lots of barbarians !

Yes ! Even if it proves once more I am OK at ensuring victory but not that great at optimizing for low turn victory.

Attached Files:

13. isopaha

isopaha Chieftain

SV 261. Didn't capture the whole continent, but most of it. Quite a nice game.

14. kcd_swede

kcd_swede Jag är Viking!½ GOTM Staff

SV turn 276, score 2972

Was aiming for under t250, but messed up the research and couldn't build the Lagrange or Terrestrial lasers for 15t after launch of the Exoplanet Exp. That was the first time I didn't greatly overshoot the tech needed, and instead underestimated. I think it had to do with AI opponents being so lame and having not much to even pillage. I think there were 5 AI remaining when I completed Rocketry... at the end, I had 6 City State vassals, and the only AI city remaining was the Mongol capitol... I own the rest.

Fun game up to Rocketry, then just taking out frustrations on helpless AI.

Attached Files:

15. Kendon

Kendon Warlord

Turn 350, Score 1756

Much of the late game was sending settlers and builders off to get strategic resources: oil, aluminum and uranium. Without thinking I promoted cavalry to unneeded helicopters and suddenly I couldn't build bombers.

I shut down all my coal plants so my only need for coal was one battleship but by then the climate damage was done so I had blizzards and tormados destroying my tanks and rocket artillery in remote corners of the map. It was a good lesson in the consequences of early decisions.

Attached Files:

16. m_mus

m_mus Chieftain

Turn 301, Score 1792, First GotM!

Settled 5, captured 7

Actually I did not really fastforwarded into the relevant technologies / policies. Just tried to unlock keywonders before the AI, which was easy on 'King'

Yes, I founded 'Protestantism' with 'choral music' and the 'stupa'. Usually I build quite a lot of holy sites, even if not playing for a RV, so I can ensure some decent culture and faith for either buying settlers / builders with monumentality. But this game, there were so many barbariens and thus archaeological relics, that culture came in via theatre squares.

Well, compared to others, I suppose I did not pump science, as I should have. I had nothing more than several +3 campuses and should have build more of them earlier. In the end, I had only +680 science per turn and ran into one special problem, as I'll mention down below.

Well, not really, besides Preslaw and Hongonk being a good buffer-zone against Lautaro.

Well, this was my first game with Germany ever. I was surprised by the amount of barbarians I had to fend off. Luckily I did build a sufficient army early, as I wanted to make use of Germanys bonus against CS (5 out of the 7 cities I took, were CS. To be precise, Armagh, Vilnius, Babylon, Kabul and Ngazargamu). As a positive side-effect, the amount of archaeological relics was extremely high as well. That meant a lot of culture ... which I could actually use, since Germany can build one district above the normal limit. I suppose I would have build less theatre squares, if it had not been for that extra slot. I was pleasantly surprised by the strength of the Hansas and I was able to build a very pleasing Hansa triangle, of which I'll attach a screenshot. I hope @Sostratus is proud of my doing. I had 4 cities with +160 production, which I had not achieved before.
    It was also the first time I attempted a SV (mostly CV before that) and I had to learn the hard way, that having multiple spaceports does not make sense before the last project ... and this only once you can build laser stations. So I had the situation, that once I could launch the earth sattelite, 8 space ports were either finished or being built. Thanks to some woods being chopped and the royal society, I did finish that project in notime and it was by then that noticed, that I had not advanced enough to directly start the next project. And so this situation repeated each step along the way to my first SV. Finishing the project in 3-4 turns, then wait. And then my exoplanet-expedition travelled with one light-year per turn and I did not have the techno to build laserstations yet ... I had already travelled for 27 turns, until I could build those lasers ... which lead to me travelling 9 light years per turn in the end.
    So lesson learned: I need more science to progress faster along the tech tree so that I can actually smoothly skim through those five projects without waiting for the next project to unlock. I need more than one spaceport only for the last project.

I did enjoy the game a lot, yes. I think it allowed the player to experiment with Germanys unique abilities quite nicely. As I like to observe the AI's doing - and knowing that it would not really compete with my victory - I was kind of suprised, that Mongolia actually took out Mali quite early - even before I actually knew that Mali was ingame. It was not before I launched the earth-sattelite, that I learned that Niani belonged to Mongolia.

Spoiler Realm :
    20200316230343_1.jpg

Spoiler Tasty Industrial Zones :
    20200316223733_1.jpg

Attached Files:

Sostratus likes this.
  17. leif erikson

leif erikson Game of the Month Fanatic Administrator Supporter GOTM Staff

Welcome to Game of the Month! :goodjob:

May you enjoying learning, and teaching, as you play. :)

18. Victoria

Victoria Regina Supporter

T187 SV Victory but not valid as I accidentally got a dom victory at 160, reloaded and continued.
    Spoiler :

I built no settlers, first time ever. I captured 4 through the game but they were pretty irrelevant. I captured every city on the board but 1 and kept about 13 CS
    Iron working first then up to Hansa's.
    Nope but at abiout T120 I gained a religion as not many others had bothered.
    Capturing cities fast and chopping in the buildings
    In so many ways, they were nice meat to start and Amagh made for a great main spaceport.
    Vilnius had iron under it which was a nice surprise.
    The lack of gold at the start was challenging and good, just had to curb my normal wasteful spending
    Very much so, Fred is a great SV chap
    However I hated the level 4 disasters. Barbs I can cope with but tornadoes wrecking my spaceport is a step too far for me.
    upload_2020-3-17_12-27-10.png

Messed up a lot with the end game just because I was rushing the game too much. Certainly could shave 25 turns off it in a replay with a better laser finish and better culture.

Attached Files:

8housesofelixir likes this.
  19. WideCoast

WideCoast Warlord

T306 SV. Just watched some video about high production IZ and saw that we got Hansa so thought I'd get as much out of 'em as possible and sorta forgot about the SV and still managed to misplace some districts to lose out on production...and Ruhr.... :cringe: Also I can't get my head around why I can't put a damn dam there? Because it's in the outer edge of river?

First game in a long time so everything was kinda hassle and all over the place like my typical games with my goldfish memory. Managed to avoid violence quite long, but then China started to flex his muscles against Vilnius (?) so I had to step in to defend my vassal(?) or whatever is the "opposite" of suzerain? And then Lautaro finished Chinas last city. Then it went peaceful right until the end where Lautaro and Victoria decided to attack me simultaneously, but I managed to fend off both with one GDR's bombardment for each front xD

Had tons of fun again! Even managed to "dodge" openings actions thread when the game just suddenly added 100 turns to turn timer :nono:

Spoiler Why I can't put dam there? :

Spoiler This was supposed to be in opening actions at turn 100, but somehow 88 extra turns got in there? :

Spoiler victoryscreen :

Spoiler victoryturn :

E: forgot the save

Attached Files:

20. Victoria

Victoria Regina Supporter

you need 2 sides of a hex to have river along them. So many things conspire against perfection that often it feels intentional.

RohirrimElf and WideCoast like this.