1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

6otM83 After Action

Discussion in 'Civ6 - Game Of The Month' started by leif erikson, Mar 15, 2020.

1. leif erikson

leif erikson Game of the Month Fanatic Administrator Supporter GOTM Staff

Welcome to the 6otM83 After Actions Report thread. In this thread you can post the results of your game. Please state victory date and score (preferably in the post title), as recorded in the Hall of Fame, and the most important: your path to glory!

STOP - Please do not continue reading this thread until you have completed and submitted your game.

Please attached your victory save to your post.

- How many cities did you settle, or capture?
    - What did you prioritize for research and policies?
    - What did you build for an Army and Navy and how did it change?
    - Did you use your UU/UB? Were they useful?
    - What was your most useful unit?
    - Was diplomacy useful? How?
    - Were City-States helpful? Did any other civ give you a hard time about city-states?
    - Did you get a Great Prophet?
    - What was your strategy, how did you gain your Religious VC?
    - How many cities did you take with military?
    - How many Dark Ages and/or Golden Ages did you have? Did you have a strategy?
    - What effect did Loyalty have on your settling or conquering? How did you mitigate its effects?
    - Any surprises you ran into, how did you deal with it?
    - Did you enjoy your game?

Please use spoiler tags for any surprise details you'd like kept hidden. Thanks.

Players are encouraged to provide feedback on the game. Some players like to replay the game, and although we will not record the results from a replay, you can still post your new experiences (please state if the game is a replay). Please refrain from posting videos until the deadline for submission is over.

Knightfall likes this.
  2. Casualty of war

Casualty of war Warlord

Turn 189 Religious Victory.

I settled 6 cities and acquired 5 from Tamar before shifting into massive Faith production. I almost, ALMOST wiped out Tamar before anyone else showed up which would have been hugely helpful towards diplomacy; as it was I got Embassies and Open Borders immediately on meeting everyone because they Denounced me shortly after due to Tamar's giant pile of Grievances. Hey, she declared on me!

I eventually built Hagia Sophia on the site of my first Kurgan, which pleases me. I didn't spam them but only dropped one where they had at least some Pasture adjacency. Horseback Riding I slightly delayed to finish the first turn of the Classical, then I started making enough Saka Horse Archers to make Tamar's life miserable. After the war with her was done, I just built enough military to trigger Eurekas for the most part.

2 Religious Emergencies, with a third ongoing when I won. Gitarja was way out in front with converted cities until the Ternate Emergency went my way and just about pushed her religion off the map. The Adana Emergency pretty much finished off converting the continent.

I probably should have taken a close City State, built the infrastructure to be able to make Apostles and Gurus then started spreading the Word; swimming all the way to the opposite side of the globe took forever, it seemed.

Thank you for the game. Much quarantined Civ time in the future for many of us!

Spoiler :
    upload_2020-3-16_16-12-37.png
    upload_2020-3-16_16-14-0.png

3. yavor.makc

yavor.makc Chieftain

RV - 137 turn

- How many cities did you settle, or capture? - 4 settled, 5 captured from Georgia
    - What did you prioritize for research and policies? - Holly Site, Horsemen, Sail . Politics - moved to Reformation
    - What did you build for an Army and Navy and how did it change? - 3x2 horsemen to take Georgia

- What was your most useful unit? - Horsemen
    - Was diplomacy useful? How? - Traded luxury, not important
    - Were City-States helpful? Did any other civ give you a hard time about city-states? - yes, Candy (give me 4 relics from NW)
    - Did you get a Great Prophet? - yes :)
    - What was your strategy, how did you gain your Religious VC? - a lot of missioners and apostles, Moksha, 3x boost for relics from religion, Holly Sites in each cities
    - How many cities did you take with military? - 5, I had to be fast, to take Georgia before Walls
    - How many Dark Ages and/or Golden Ages did you have? Did you have a strategy? - Only Gold Ages 3 times (+2 actions for missioners and apostles)
    - What effect did Loyalty have on your settling or conquering? How did you mitigate its effects? - no
    - Any surprises you ran into, how did you deal with it? - no
    - Did you enjoy your game? - Yes, as usual !

Attached Files:

Casualty of war likes this.
  4. Nassim

Nassim Chieftain

RV turn 240 (not valid as it was my third try)

Captured 4 from Georgia, settled 7
    I went strength for religion and then to horses to get a chance to defend against Georgia. I feel after that in a RV, the order became less important
    Horses, horses and more horses (and a bunch of archers and a couple swordsmen to take cities)
    The riding archers are not very good, so I got a couple for the era score but that's about all. Used the UI sparcely, not much of a game changer either I think
    Apostles
    Nope, didn't manage to make a single friend until turn 200
    - Were City-States helpful? Did any other civ give you a hard time about city-states?
    The first religious city state you get is very useful to get early a pantheon. I went for the one that gives a colon which is a bit disappointing, but I really needed that city.
    Yes !
    I tend to try to completely get rid of the other religion, to avoid any come back, especially on a game with 8 civs, so it can be a bit long. I pick the option where you don't lose any pressure when losing religious fights and tried to convert mostly through fighting.
    4, Georgie was too aggressive to stay in the game
    All golden ages but one, gets quite easy once you start converting cities
    - What effect did Loyalty have on your settling or conquering? How did you mitigate its effects?
    A teeny bit when I had conquered all of Georgie except Tbilisi, but moving my governors nearby.
    Not much once I got rid of
    Yes ! First Immortal victory, that was fun. I might stick with that difficulty now, might be a bit easier when I play a civ to its strength, not to a victory they are not that great at.

Attached Files:

5. Civ Chemist

Civ Chemist Chieftain

RV T125

Only settles 5 cities and caputured 1 from Georgia. 2-4 were settled around the Chocolate Hills for the +4 holy sites.
    Techs: Astrology - basic techs - carthography - printing (for diplomatic visibility, but never reached it)
    Civics: Political Philosophy - Theology (scripture) - Recorded History (natural philosophy and governor title) - reformed church (never reached it)
    - What did you build for an Army and Navy and how did it change? Only a slinger until Georgia declared a surprise war. Then some warriors and slingers for defense and eventually a couple of horsemen to pillage her land and caputre 1 city. Also 2 galleys and 3 archers for eurekas.
    - Did you use your UU/UB? Were they useful? Built a couple of Kurgans (no horse archers), but their mains use was the +4 era score to secure the calssical golden age.
    - What was your most useful unit? Missionaries and Apostles
    - Was diplomacy useful? How? Mostly just for trading excess luxuries and strategic resources
    - Were City-States helpful? Did any other civ give you a hard time about city-states? Kandy, gave me 4 relics. Other than that just for scouting/visibility
    - Did you get a Great Prophet? Yes
    - What was your strategy, how did you gain your Religious VC? Went for reliquaries (instead of my usualy choral music), missionary zeal and pilgrimage. No worship building. Went for Amani (suzerain of Kandy) and then directly for Moksha's Patron Saint Promotion. Purchased a couple of aposltes as soon as I got Moksha's 4th promotion for scouting and defeating some enemy missionaries but started my big push with the start of the medieval exodus golden age.
    - How many cities did you take with military? 1
    - How many Dark Ages and/or Golden Ages did you have? Did you have a strategy? 2x Golden Age: classical Monumentality and medieval Exodus.
    - What effect did Loyalty have on your settling or conquering? How did you mitigate its effects? No problems with loyalty
    - Any surprises you ran into, how did you deal with it? Not sure when this was changed, but in my last religious Scythia game I'm certain that the extra combat strenght and heal on kill also applied to religious units. Was kinda disappointed when I first realized the change, because I had to invest in slow gurus, but it probably didn't change too much in the end (maybe 10-15 turns).
    - Did you enjoy your game? It was a nice change form my usualy pangea games.

Attached Files:

6. tarafran

tarafran Warlord

RV 115
    - How many cities did you settle, or capture? settled 4 cities and capture one from Georgia

- What did you prioritize for research and policies? Astrology and Sailing

- What did you build for an Army and Navy and how did it change? 2 warriors and 3 slingers (upgraded to archer)2 galleys

- Did you use your UU/UB? Were they useful?did not built any Kurgans, the UB helped for a GA then I spammed my cap with them on the last 20 turn for faith

- What was your most useful unit? Apostles

- Was diplomacy useful? yes for trades

- Were City-States helpful? Did any other civ give you a hard time about city-states? focused on Kandy and the other religious one

- Did you get a Great Prophet? Yes the 4th one

- What was your strategy, how did you gain your Religious VC? Get 4 cities with 4 temples and time the building of the GW with 2 apostles with Moskha upgrade with the second choice of Apostles upgrade
    - How many cities did you take with military? 1 from Georgia that declare around turn 30

- How many Dark Ages and/or Golden Ages did you have? Did you have a strategy?all GA with medieval exodus

- What effect did Loyalty have on your settling or conquering? How did you mitigate its effects? a few turn but the GP took care of it

- Any surprises you ran into, how did you deal with it? no

- Did you enjoy your game?very much thanks

Attached Files:

Civ Chemist likes this.
  7. Bangau

Bangau Warlord Supporter

T139 RV

Settled about 10 (at least two that turned out useless, because their holy sites took too long) captured all of Tamar (5 cities or so).

Anything towards faith policies and wonders.

Tamar surprised with with a war early on. Had to switch to build an army of about 5 archers and 4 warriors. Luckily she build HS as well, so I got a few free cities with HS.

I build two Saka Horse Archers and used them in the final stage of conquering Tamar. After that they became scouts.

Apostles!

Managed to kill of Tamar before meeting the rest. So it took them a while to hate me and the second and third I met even befriended me before I converted them.

Got a few relics from Kandy and got 3 envoys in both Religious CS for extra faith.

Yes I did.

Because of Tamar's aggression it became a conquer and spam faith strategy. Chop out some of the religious wonders. I should have paid better attention to my scouting strategy though, cause I found Mali and the Ottomans quite late and hand at least a dozen apostles travelling the world to get to them...

All of Tamar (5).

Missed the first GA, got the second and third.

None this game.

Was hoping for some, but not really this time.

Always, but the religious victory is still a bit dull and too easy imho.

Attached Files:

8. kcd_swede

kcd_swede Jag är Viking!½ GOTM Staff

Tomyris RV t285, score 2666

Bad strategy. I was dividing efforts between converting civs and warring with others. Did neither task very well, until I went all out war. Then conversions got easy. Too many enemy apostles out there for anything other than condemning heretics with miltary units. Long game for me... perfect for corona times. Thanks for the game!

Attached Files:

9. nufro

nufro Chieftain

T 163 RV
    Manages to kill Tamar before meeting anyone else. But then lost focus and Suleiman took forever. Mali was the best friend the entire game.

Attached Files:

10. hitretz

hitretz Chieftain

T105 RV

Settled 9 cities, captured 3 from Tamar.

Astrology -> Horseback Riding -> Buttress -> Square Rigging.
    Theology -> Feudalism -> Reformed Church -> Medieval Fairies.

1x Warrior 3x Slinger 2x Horseman 2x Galleys. Added a few more units for Pillaging in Medieval Era, but was not necessary.

UU were not necessary. UA certainly for the fast Horseman push on Tamar.

Missionaries

Mali for trading had the most impact.

Kandy dictated the game.

Yes. Reliquaries, Mosque and Missionary Zeal.

I am not familiar with RV timings, so I thought I'd have enough time to get the necessary infrastructure out. I see previous submissions have taken a more all-in aggressive strategy. Not sure what is most optimal.
    The dream was to have T3 Faith buildings ready in all cities, Hagia Sophia and Mahabodhi Temple built and Moksha promoted to T4 by start of Medieval Era with Exodus. I hit ME lagging 5-6 turns behind on Moshka and lacking some Mosques.
    At that point you just want the map discovered and plan your Missionary/Apostle placements. Missionary Zeal is must my opinion.
    I had also planned to War/Pillage at-least two Civs for the Gold/Faith. However when I started spamming my Faith units this seemed counter-intuitive because you lose turns on movement and risk losing units.
    I waited too long (for T2 GP building which is actually irrelevant as my test game proved later given the small bonus of what +20/+30 Faith it gives? And also realizing just how broken pillaging is in this new patch...)
    So replaying I would war+pillage way earlier and convert all cities in Medieval Era in peace.

Just 3 from Tamar + a Settler.

All Golden, Classical Monumentality and Medieval Exodus.

Not an issue in this play through.

I think I lost a potential relic not being careful when scouting the map having no space to store.

Yes, gave me a good grip on RV and experience with the latest game updates.
    I thought I would rely more on Apostles especially with 2 promotions from Moshka. But this game showed that the way RV is designed, once you hit Medieval you just want to spam+rush the map with Missionaries and only few key Apostles. There is no "easing into it" with RV. Just hit the key Techs and roll the map...

Attached Files:

leif erikson likes this.
  11. Minou

Minou Prince

T100 RV

Felt nice to win on exactly T100! I played a hybrid conquest-religious strategy and ended up killing Georgia and Mali while converting everyone else.

First 50 turns:

Met Kandy T3 and got Religious Settlements T16, settled norh of capital to get more Horses. Declared on Georgia on T27 to steal a Settler. I used it to found a coastal city thinking I might need two Harbors for the Cartography boost. I always forget if Continents and Islands maps usually (always?) have shallow water routes to the other continents. Anyway, the city was too close to the Geogrian capital so it flipped to loyalty pressure, but I was able to easily recapture it a little later.

I had horribly slow culture and science and only hit HBR on T43. I quickly chopped bunch of Horsemen and wiped out Georgia (cpatured two cities and let the last one flip to me so Horsmen could keep moving west), but was dissapointed when there was no one else to conquer on the continent. Built one pair of Saka Horse Archers and one Kurgan to get the final 8 Era Score for Exodus Golden Age - it was nice to have those available, otherwise I may well have missed out.

Last 50 turns:

Completely lucked out and popped Shipbuilding from a hut on T55 allowing my army to hit the water quickly! Religion on T65 taking Choral Music and Missionary Zeal. I probably should have built a few more pastures as there were at least two times when I wanted to chop another pair of Horsemen out but needed to pause to get back to 20 Horses. Also wish I made a few more Kurgans which might have let me speed the Missionary flow a tiny bit.

Georgia: Wiped out earlier.

Poland: Attacked on T70 with levied Antananarivo troops. Capturing their capital with Encampment was awesome since it gave me three quest envoys, but even after capturing a second city, the capital revolted. The rebel Swords were way tougher than the actual Polish troops, and the capital ended up flipping to a free city twice more before I decided to solve the problem by razing the larger of the two remaining Polish cities and converting the small coastal city with a single Missionary.

Indonesia: Very easy, converted all three cities with a single Missioonary around T70-T80 period. All stayed my religion the whole game.

India: They were trickier, I converted three of their cities around the same time as Indonesia but they converted two cities back and also founded two new cities, leaving me with only 2 of 7 converted. Since they were close though converting the small 1 pop and 2 pop outposts on T99 was an easy solution.

Mali: They had three cities, rapidly burned two and captured the capital. They provided lots of pillage gold which helped with levies.

Ottomans: Found them late (T72) and converted them with 3 Missionaries. Near the end of the game, I declared war to burn one city with their religion and be ready to condemn heretics (stupidly their Missionary walked into the fog instead of re-converting a city which would have stalled me a few turns).

England Found them last and they were the biggest challenge. I burned their most isolated city but lost some units in the fighting since they got Crossbows. Then took one of their remaining three but it flipped back due to Loyalty pressure. The original Missionary I sent from the home continent arrived on the western shore the same time as two leftover Missionaries from the intitial India campaign arriced on the eastern shore. I quickl made pace and converted the flipped city and another on the east coast to seal the game on T100.

Thoughts:

Religious games are always weird for me since the optimal play is usually pretty violent. In this game I never even built an Apostle or had a single military combat. Maybe the next RV could be played with Always Peace settings to make it more interesting?

Spoiler :

flip.jpeg
    First captured settler founded here, stupid of me to not realize it would flip.

poland.jpeg
    Smouldering ruins of Poland campaign.

india.jpeg
    Did not even notice the 2 pop and 1 pop cities till the game was almost over. Luckily they had no religion so a single Missionary could convert them.

otto.jpeg
    This was tense - if Ottomans converted a city the game would have taken 10 more turns. The Horsemen are there to kill Ottoman Missionaries, not to take the city.