1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

6otM83 Opening Action

Discussion in 'Civ6 - Game Of The Month' started by leif erikson, Mar 15, 2020.

1. leif erikson

leif erikson Game of the Month Fanatic Administrator Supporter GOTM Staff

Welcome to the 6otM83 Opening Actions thread.

STOP - Please do not continue reading this thread until you have completed at least 80 to 100 turns in your game.

This thread is used to discuss the game once you've started playing through your first 100 turns. Apart from normal decency, the only posting restrictions are to please not post videos until the deadline is finished and to use the spoiler tags for screenshots. Here you can post questions related to the game and share your achievements/anger/frustration/victories while you play. Please remember that we are running a family friendly site, so express anger or frustration with this in mind. :)

Please use this thread to discuss your goals for the game and your opening moves through the first 100 turns. Anything after that should be posted in the After Actions thread once you have completed your game.

- How long did you search for a site for your first city? What criteria did you use?
    - Where did you settle your capital city? Your second city?
    - Did you make a plan for achieving a Religious VC, what are the major steps you planned to take?
    - What did you research and which policies did you choose and why?
    - What was your build order?
    - Which Pantheon one did you select and why? Did you get a Great Prophet?
    - How long did it take to find your neighbors? Were they hostile or friendly?
    - How soon did you build a District? Which ones did you prioritize?
    - Did you try to build any Wonders?
    - Did you emphasize expansion? How many cities have you built/captured in the first 100 turns?
    - How quickly did you get Trade Routes working, who did you trade with?
    - How did you play your governance cards, priorities?
    - Which Governors did you choose and why did you choose them?
    - What City-States did you meet and which ones did you cultivate to your side?
    - How were the Barbarians?
    - Any surprises?

Please use spoiler tags for any surprise details you'd like kept hidden. Thanks.

Knightfall likes this.
  2. Nassim

Nassim Chieftain

I decided to make this my first Immortal game, and let's just say it didn't go very well... that pesky neighbor is very, very, very aggressive and I ended up not getting a religion because I spent too much on defending myself.

I restarted, 2nd game is going better though I didn't take out (yet) that neighbor so I'm still losing a lot of time. Converted them to my religion at least, that's a start...

3. Casualty of war

Casualty of war Warlord

Single tech (Mining) to Craftsmanship bonus, so I moved closer to the Diamonds and settled. Settled 6 cities and acquired 5 from Georgia after they declared on me, Tbilisi taking a long time to pound through their walls. I parked a blocking Warrior at the bottleneck of the northern lake after meeting Tamar; if I hadn't she would have invaded before I was ready.

I wasn't quite ready to start pumping out Apostles so my first Golden was a Monumentality then Exodus, Exodus, Exodus! My god, Gurus swim slowly. I squeaked every Golden Age at the last minute, but admittedly I did slow roll exploring eastward until I had Kandy suzerained.

I was going to clear my continent before meeting anyone else, which would have saved me a TON of Grievances, but Sulieman showed up right as I was about to take Tamar's last city.

4. Half Nelson

Half Nelson Ancient Mariner Supporter

Turn 115. Decide to try this game as my holiday plans have been scuppered by Covid-19 and I don’t have Scythia or RV in my GS HoF. Toying with the idea of a peaceful RV.
    I settled in place, built warrior, slinger, settler and lucked a worker from my first tribal village. I settled city 2 to N for the mountain adjacency opportunities, grabbed the settler pantheon and settled city 3 on river to S towards Kandy:- this fortuitously provided a source of iron later. I built 2 adjacent Holy Sites next to N mountains and jammed Government Plaza against them for good measure. Even so, I only just managed to grab the last Great Prophet with a couple of rounds of HS Prayers. I founded Eastern Orthodoxy with cheaper Apostles and culture from religious buildings beliefs.
    Georgia failed to found a religion and decided it was my fault, declaring a surprise war which (with one brief ceasefire) has continued to date. In line with my peaceful intentions, I have kept largely on defence so far, but ripping Kandy from my care has strained my patience almost to breaking point. I settled 4 additional cities close to the local Natural Wonders and stole a Georgian settler which I forward settled on hills to W of capital. My religion is spreading well. Georgia is a follower despite the wars (conversion during wartime gives great boosts to Era points) as is Mali (which also failed to found a religion). I am now attempting to convert the Ottomans with lots of Theological Combat. I have now met all the AI but need a rapid acceleration in Faith generation to get sufficient Apostles and Gurus in play. I am trying for the Guru wonder (Meenakshi Temple?).

5. GaidinX

GaidinX Chieftain

Lurker for months - Have only won a couple Immortal and Deity games before. Never tried religion on anything but small maps years ago at much lower difficulties...Sorry if this long or rambling

- How long did you search for a site for your first city? What criteria did you use? Moved closer to the diamonds to open up some district spots and get the easy yield tiles
    - Where did you settle your capital city? Your second city? - Second city was SW of the main on the river, next to stone.
    - Did you make a plan for achieving a Religious VC, what are the major steps you planned to take? Convert my starting continent - build an army of apostles/gurus/missionaries
    - What did you research and which policies did you choose and why? Astrology first, then Mining to improve amenities/stone, was going Campus but had to move to Masonry due to early war plus Archery, then Bronze, Horse, and on to Aqueducts for growth
    - What was your build order? Scout, Slinger, Warrior, Holy Site, Slinger, Walls, Granary - bought shrines with gold in 2 cities, temple in one, Faith bought Stupa in both.
    - Which Pantheon one did you select and why? Did you get a Great Prophet? Took the Religious Settlement pantheon as my scout saw her troops incoming for a surprise war and I had to build troops/walls instead of a settler. Turned out well as I had a second Holy site to run the district prayers while fighting off Tamar at the main city. Had second Great Prophet and 2nd religion. Took relic in religion founding as I found one at first goody hut. Took the no movement penalty option as second. Have popped two apostles and added Stupas for the +1 spread and the one that gives you +2 faith per foreign city/CS following your religion. At 60ish faith per turn with only two Holy Sites. Had just over 1,000 faith when Temple was build so I could pop two apostles and upgrade immediately. Waited 2 turns to change ages as I had no chance as Golden. Was first to upgrade.
    - How long did it take to find your neighbors? Were they hostile or friendly? less than 10 turns - very unfriendly, Surprise war by Turn 20 that i barely beat off with help of walls
    - How soon did you build a District? Which ones did you prioritize? Two holy sites, then Govt plaza plus upgrade for settlers, Campus. Money district being built as well as second campus and 3rd holy site (have culture bomb due to Congress to grab some extra tiles)
    - Did you try to build any Wonders? Nope, not much of a chance, especially when at war most of the game
    - Did you emphasize expansion? How many cities have you built/captured in the first 100 turns? Settled 5, 6th almost on site. Magnus city has been pumping out settlers ever since Hall was built.
    - How quickly did you get Trade Routes working, who did you trade with? Vilinus for an envoy, then among cities for roads till plundered
    - How did you play your governance cards, priorities? Barb/Prod, then Settler card to pump settlers. Didn't find 3rd CS till after hard building Political Philosophy which sucked a lot
    - Which Governors did you choose and why did you choose them? Magnus plus settler upgrade, then on to Moshka and have him up to the +1 and faith for buildings
    - What City-States did you meet and which ones did you cultivate to your side? Kandy and Vilinus, both Suzerin pretty early and sold all the favor for cash until 2nd war with Tamar. They flipped Kandy at the start and Kandy's troops had my second city down to less than 10 health before my horse hordes spawned and pushed them back. Had a settler at 1 turn left in queue. Thought the game was over as the CS likes to raze and that was my Govt plaza city. Crushed Tamar's troops again with zero losses.
    - How were the Barbarians? Not bad - the heal perk for Tamyris is great.
    - Any surprises? Special builder upgrade for Tomyris is useless on the map - hills next to any good adjacent pastures and need food more than the faith still. Tamar loves building walls and I couldn't build enough to take her on before they went up due to the first surprise war we had. Going to go hammer on one of her cities to keep her occupied while I try to tech up. I have iron, she doesn't. Hoping niter is my friend too. Hurting for food, should have taken feed the world if I looked closer at the tiles I had revealed, but needed the settler and it was gone before I could Evangelize Beliefs I was enamored with the relic I got from first hut and Kandy being first CS I met, though I do get lots of faith. Trying to prep to catch up on science and get to Religious govt I'll likely stay at. Need to kill Tamar and take advantage of all her building efforts but it will be slow/brutal. She has Coursers and I have a couple archers, 4 Horse, 2 Horse Archers, a spearman and two swordsmen with a catapult almost done.

Of note: I spaced changing cards and am stuck in a 17 turn rut for card changes without my troop reduction card - costing me almost 12 gold a turn - Wanted to reload so badly but I behaved - can cut down time by building farms with builders in 4-6 turns and I had a reserve that will cover until I can change out

Ages: Normal (Science), Normal (Religion, +2 for converting Tamar, my new cities, and CS), should be gold for next.. Really wanted dark age for medieval but got a surprise +1 with 4 turns to go

leif erikson likes this.
  6. leif erikson

leif erikson Game of the Month Fanatic Administrator Supporter GOTM Staff

Welcome to CivFanatics and Game of the Month. :wavey:

Keep up the good work and teach us a few things along the way. :thumbsup:

GaidinX likes this.
  7. Email10

Email10 Swedish Viking

I have tried a few GotMs in submarine mode after buying and installing the expansions a month ago. I have never been confident enough to start a game higher than King level so far but I decided to give this one a try.

- How long did you search for a site for your first city? What criteria did you use?
    I settled in place as I saw some good spot for a Holy Site in the Mountains. I didn't see any other reasons to move except maybe that the recommendations from the game was to move one E.

- Where did you settle your capital city? Your second city?
    For my second city I went north to try to block the way for Tamar to pass this way of the mountains (I had expected this to be the only way through...)

- Did you make a plan for achieving a Religious VC, what are the major steps you planned to take?
    Building a Holy Site quite early, see if I can use the unique builder action (Kurgar) to generate some extra faith, suz any Religious City States I may encounter. I was tending towards a peaceful victory although at this level it will most certainly be impossible for me.

- What did you research and which policies did you choose and why?
    Research, I tried always to research when I had Eureka which I think worked out for all except one tech in the first 100 turns
    1. Mining > to make use of the Diamonds, Salt and Stone quickly
    2. Pottery > path to Writing
    3. Astrology > holy site
    4. Animal Husbandry > path to Archery
    5. Archery
    6. Writing
    7. Bronze Working > to hopefully find Iron
    Civics, Same here, tried to take those where I had inspirations, worked for most of them
    1. Foreign Trade > mainly because I thought my chances to have inspirations on Craftsmanship would be easier
    2. Mysticisim
    3. Craftsmanship
    4. State Workforce
    5. Early Empire
    6. Political Philosophy
    - What was your build order?
    Scout, Warrior, Settler, Slinger, Holy Site, Warrior, Settler, Shrine, Settler

- Which Pantheon one did you select and why? Did you get a Great Prophet?
    I went for Stone Circles since I saw a lot of Stone around I needed the faith

- How long did it take to find your neighbors? Were they hostile or friendly?
    I met Tamar pretty fast. She has been quite friendly for all the first 100 turns. She has the strongest military of all Civs but I have managed to keep a decent military as well so I guess she has been a bit intimated

- How soon did you build a District? Which ones did you prioritize?
    Holy Site for capital quite fast and for my second city as well. I went for the Campus as second district in the capital to have a chance to keep up somehow in the tech race. I guess I'm quite far behind though based on the Wonders that have been created. I also built the Government Plaza in my third city to the Southeast guite fast.

- Did you try to build any Wonders?
    Just at around Turn 80 or so I started on the Mahabodhi Temple which is my first one I try - let's see if I'm successful or not. Didn't fancy I would have a chance for any other one.

- Did you emphasize expansion? How many cities have you built/captured in the first 100 turns?
    I think more a balanced expansion. I tried to secure the strategic positions to block Tamar and think I was quite successful on this with Kul Oba to the North and Kamianka to the West just next to the Chocolate Hills. I used 3 Military Units to scare away a Settler from Tamar who wanted to take this spot. Again, it seems she was intimated by me.

- How quickly did you get Trade Routes working, who did you trade with?
    Quite fast (Turn 38) as I got a Trader from my 5th Hut. Used it mainly to build road between my major cities and to give some extra food for needed cities. I stayed at 1 Trade Route though as I didn't build any Commercial Hubs or Harbours in the first 100 Turns.

- How did you play your governance cards, priorities?
    I started with Discipline and God King to be able to cope with the Barbs that I expected to be tough at this level and also to generate some faith for the Pantheon. After I got my Pantheon I went for Urban Planning.

- Which Governors did you choose and why did you choose them?
    During my previous game on GotM82 I struggled with gold and decided to go for Reyna on this one. I put her in Kul Oba (Turn 44) that gave a very nice gold boost to the rainforest and flood plain tiles after I had upgraded her to the next level. Tamar also sent me a Trade Route here that gave me another small boost. After that I hired Pingala and upgraded him as well for a Science boost in my capital. I hired Moksha as well to build some loyalty in Kamianka.

- What City-States did you meet and which ones did you cultivate to your side?
    Kandy and Vilnius I met early and I managed to suz Kandy quite early (Turn 31) since I got an early Envoy from a hut and also one from Mysticism. Kandy was nice as it gave me a relic when discovering the Chocolate Hills.
    I met Buenos Aires late (Turn 50) and only after buying a Galley I met also Hattusa (Turn 98) and Babylon (Turn 99).

- How were the Barbarians?
    Unexpectedly peaceful. I took care to destroy one early to the East and then the city states took care of the rest. There were very few huts popping up however and I managed to destroy only 2 before the City States took them.

- Any surprises?

I managed to get surprisingly many Huts: 40 Gold, 40 Gold, Envoy, Builder, Trader, Eureka (Irrigation & Sailing - first time I got two from one hut). One hut is still remaining unopened behind the mountain lake.
    I was very surprised by the passive Barbarians and Tamar.
    I didn't expect I was going to get a Golden Age at this level but on Turn 43, I think 4 turns before the era end I build a Farm on a Flood Plain and secured it. I went for Monumentaly to get some settlers and builders out quick and cheap. My next era was Normal Age though and I went for Exodus.
    I got the 3rd Great Prophet, also surprising for me at this level. I founded Eastern Orthodoxy on Turn 66 and went for Reliquairies (I hope for more Natural Wonders/Relics) and Holy Order (for the cheap Missionaries and Apostels)
    I had a Hurricane in Pokrovka destroying both the quarry and diamond mine completely (not even pillaged)

Spoiler Turn 100 :
    20200331130954_1.jpg

We will see how this develops and if I can keep a peaceful relation with Tamar.

GaidinX and leif erikson like this.
  8. Tesuji

Tesuji Warlord

I had no experience with RV. And Immortal is not that easy for me anyway. So I decided a few dry-runs. I tried out a few games where the settler was near Stone and see if I could get Stonehenge, as I figured that would be the easiest path towards the required prophet. That turns out to give poor odds. I also tried building the Oracle instead. While that has better odds at achieving, it's also a lot more expensive. I found it's not a sure bet and it puts me at quite a development disadvantage.

The other thing I learned from this is that more often than not a neighbor will go all-out at me very early on. What is it with Tommyris that instigates this?

With all that preparation, I decided to go at it. Settled in place, scout scout Slinger builder Slinger. And Holy District before Horsemen. Chose Stone Circles for faith. Built another city North next to the river and 2 removed from other horses tile. After rebuffing the first attack from Georgia I went straight for her with 3 archers, scouts and Warrior while building Horsmen. Took Batumi and razed a few pesky cities she settled and which I wasn't sure I'd be able to keep and wanted to go for Tblisi. But then by turn 68 or so I checked the Prophets screen and all of them were taken. There were still several left a few turns earlier. Oh well... Checked the auto-saves and several civs must have gotten their prophet all at turn 65.

OK, so I tried again. I know it doesn't count, but I just wanted to learn. This time, instead of Stone Circles I chose Divine Sparks. And built Holy Site and Shrines earlier. That slowed down development quite a bit. But this time Georgia was not as aggressive. Got prophet at turn 62, just barely in time. The upside of going after Georgia quite a bit later is that she settled several cities closer by. I managed to keep those. At turn 100 I have Tblisi under heavy siege and obtained 4 cities (Batumi and 3 smaller ones) plus I settled a 3rd one near the iron. Oh, and as religion I chose Reliquaries as I popped a Relic at some early point. The 12 religion I got from that made up for not having Stone Circles I guess.

I found the Shaka Archers pretty useless. They move fast, but they get heavy hits from the cities so they can't go near. Moreover, with Maneuver, Horsemen are half price but Shaka archers are not. So I find Horsemen to work a lot better in conjunction with Archers that have better range than Shaka Archers. And Archers upgrade to Crossbows. Not there yet, but once I get to promote my Archers to Crossbow with Expert Marksmen I believe they are much, much more powerful than Shaka Archers.

I saw two players mention they settled closer to the diamonds. Can you explain why? As far as I can tell that moves away from hill-forest tiles giving good production. What district advantages does it provide?

9. Zedseayou

Zedseayou Chieftain

I have not played in a while, but wanted to try this after realising how strong Horsemen on Tomyris can be. First two tries I got bodied by Tomyris around turn 25, my one slinger and warrior couldn't fend her off. My third try just now I finally managed to abuse map knowledge a bit and get slingers/city states out early, sequencing into Horsemen and taking all her cities by around turn 90. Unfortunately, I was too quick to bask in my satisfaction since I rapidly realised that I had failed to get the last Great Prophet.

I may still try this again, but I am not sure exactly how I want to approach it still. Perhaps I need Divine Spark, as some others have said? I also think I need to sequence the civics and techs better to ensure I have Maneuver when Horseback Riding comes online. I tried two settle spots; on the plains hills northwest across the river and one tile right next to the diamonds. I also am not sure where the best alternative settle spots are. On the game that actually went somewhere, I had tried placing a city near the Delicate Arch on the coast, and one near the desert river in the hopes of getting a Petra city up and running. I think that may be too ambitious and settling forward on Georgia may make more sense. I'll update if I decide to try it again.

10. Vlad Dracula

Vlad Dracula Chieftain

Tamar is too annoying for this I gave up on turn 74 after the 2nd war.I managed to hold her off the first time but now she has walls and crossbowmen.I could probably hold her off again but I'll fall so far behind that it won't matter.She'd eventually get far enough ahead in tech to steamroll me.

11. linaker

linaker Chieftain

What I learnt in this game was to run Holy Site Prayers. I've never used them before because I thought it was just throwing away production but I got 19 Great Prophet points for 5 turns in my capital. At least a couple of the AI seem to get an Exodus of the Evangelists Golden Age (+4 Great Prophet points) because I had a similar experience on my second attempt where I was comfortably in third position and suddenly got overtaken and lost out on getting a prophet.

Tesuji likes this.
  12. Arnold_T

Arnold_T Prince

I gave this one a try, and was having fun beating up Tamar, but I rage-quit at turn 61. I forgot how competitive the AI was for Great Prophets at Immortal and Diety. When I remembered to check at turn 59 there was only one Great Prophet left. It looked like I was OK to get it in a couple of turns, just with regular GP points per turn. I would have bought him with gold or faith points but I spent those already on other stuff. Then turn 61 some unmet AI another continent lept ahead of me and snatched up the last GP (I guess with either Holy Prayers or purchased). I might try this one again, depending what the new 6oTM game (coming out tomorrow?) looks like.