1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

6otM84 AAR

Discussion in 'Civ6 - Game Of The Month' started by Knowtalent, Apr 1, 2020.

1. Knowtalent

Knowtalent Emperor GOTM Staff

Welcome to the 6otM 84 After Actions Report. In this thread you can post the results of your game. Please state victory date and score and the save choice (preferably in the post title), as recorded in the Hall of Fame, and the most important: your path to glory!

STOP - Please do not continue reading this thread until you have completed and submitted your game

Please attached your victory save to your post.

- How many cities did you settle or capture?

- What did you prioritize for research and policies?

- Did you bother with Culture?

- How did you pump your Faith??

- Were City-States helpful?

- Any surprises you ran into, how did you deal with it?

- Did you enjoy the game?

Please use spoiler tags for any surprise details you'd like kept hidden. Thanks.

Players are encouraged to provide feedback on the game. Some players like to replay the game, and although we will not record the results from a replay, you can still post your new experiences (please state if the game is a replay). Please refrain from posting videos until the deadline for submission is over.

Knightfall likes this.
  2. Ceydezed

Ceydezed Chieftain

Religious Victory turn 132

I settled 5. I was planning to stay that way but Georgia surprised DOW me and wouldn't want to peace so i conquered 3 of her cities.

Religion, then campus, then swords to defend myself, then cartography. For policies, the usual religious stuff.

Yes, and the couple of cultural city states were nice.

Good adjacencies and the rainforest pantheon.

The culture ones were nice. Valetta was great to have walls quickly. Jerusalem got conquered (and rased?) so no religious CS for me.

Georgia declared a surprise war with a couple of horses and warriors. I had to build some horses and swords to defend but almost lost my capital. After this i pushed towards her territory and captured a city, i wanted a nice peace deal. But she didn't want peace no matter what so i pushed until her capital.

Yes, i hadn't played Pedro in a while, but the map made for great adjacencies!

Spoiler Victory screenshot :

upload_2020-4-2_18-1-52.png

Attached Files:

Knightfall likes this.
  3. Casualty of war

Casualty of war Warlord

Turn 160 RV. I did my low micromanagement tactic of founding my Religion in someone else's Holy City (Tbilisi) and watching it spill out into all the cities with Holy Sites. Might have been able to use Jerusalem pressure to get there sooner. I cleared my continent counter-clockwise then founded on Turn 146; 14 Turns later the world worshipped GoAT. I think I would have been about 20 Turns faster with the continent clearing if I had started with Georgia, because of their fondness for Walls.

I supplemented with Apadana + Papal Primacy along with Religious Colonization to have a GoAT beachhead on the other two main continents. I used a Norwegian Settler to found a city on their lands, chopped out a Holy Site, bought Shrine/Temple then started making Apostles to share The Word with Japan. Huh, a port city that I used as a religious toehold in Japan....it's just crazy enough to work! As you can see, Kyoto was converting one way or another but their last two cities weren't even necessary to secure the win.

I learned my lesson, no swimming Gurus! However Exodus-powered Apostles scooted over to Rome at a pretty good clip. They actually put up something of a defense, a swarm of Missionaries right into my swarm of Apostles.

Poor Norway just donated Settlers, Builders and eventually their capital. I ended with at least 5, maybe 6, Settlers from them. Too funny, and along with insane Brazil adjacencies made this game a blast to play! Thank you.

Spoiler :
    upload_2020-4-2_17-19-44.png upload_2020-4-2_17-20-52.png upload_2020-4-2_17-21-43.png

Attached Files:

Knightfall likes this.
  4. Victoria

Victoria Regina Supporter

RV137
    Spoiler :

Just a bit of fun. completely relied on no campus and that I would not need to navigate.
    Certainly lost about 30 turns with this approach but idk... its an RV and precisely why I did not play the last GOTM. I reckon a second play would be sub 100. tempted but not that much
    Just the same old thing really, bang outr a few cities and win... not one apostle in sight.
    Just look how much faith I had not bothered with at the end of the game... should have pushed campus... sigh.
    upload_2020-4-3_2-11-32.png
    How many cities did you settle or capture?
    Settled 4 but only needed 3. Left a settler un settled for many turns.
    Just bottom civics line was all I cared about... but should have got cartography a lot faster.
    Yup... highly cultured shrines and temples.
    took earth goddess
    I guess Jerusalem helped a little... beyond that, not really... for a change.
    nope... just my own stupidity and thats not a surprise.
    Was DOW'd late but just levied swords and got peace.
    nope... Hate RV but locked in a house and going crazy

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 2, 2020
    kcd_swede likes this.
  5. hitretz

hitretz Chieftain

T96 RV

Settled 4 cities.

Some ideas going into the game...
    Looking at the starting location and gambling on the map script I aimed to get a fast Cartography timing in hopes of findings other +6 or greater campuses.
    Plant 1 charge Missionaries in all Holy Sites to block religion founding. (Not sure what happened but two of my Missionaries just "despawned" when they had recruited a GP)

0. Scout -> Settler (Pantheon) -> Settler -> Settler. So that went all well, but then...
    1. I went for 4 Holy Cities opening to get 3 Campus discounts. The first two fit in well but for the third I failed at math and had to delay Political Philosophy by like 6 turns? Threw my timings off.
    2. I never play prince so the AI behavior, trading meta, barb mechanics outplayed me. No gold in trades, no one wanted my relic, slower game in general.
    3. Relied on Dido for the two upper tree eurekas. Except... Georgia comes at me when my army is half way to kill Dido (seeking revenge for 6otm83?) delayed conquest meant going through techs too fast before having a chance to build galleys so i had to hard research Shipbuilding and Cartography.
    4. So after I failed quite hard on all fronts and got super late Cartography... just AFK'ed on City Building and just spammed Missionaries/explore/win.

No. Choral Music for the lack of early game culture. 1 TS for Mathematics.

Pilgrimage and HS adjacency.

No

Just a really bad experience with Prince. Felt very annoying to play. Everything is slow and it hurts. Barbs are aggressive but in a weird annoying way.

The map was cool. But after two RV 6oTMs makes Civ6 feel very dry for me.

Side Question:
    6oTM's format is great for what it offers but I always enjoyed min-maxing video-games. After each 6oTM I note down dozens of instance-specific and general mistakes. Going back and playing selective Diety 6oTMs after submissions are closed in hopes to find a more optimized play has been of much interest to me... However doing it solo feels like too much of a grind. I don't mean to hijack thread but always wondered if there people here are interested in stuff like this?

Attached Files:

6. Victoria

Sure there are. RS Prince is not one of the best options because the AI is just too slow with religion.
    Eyswein is one example, always happy to help and discuss and gives great dialog but you must have already seen him lurking in other games. There are threads but mostly older now.

7. Monthar

Monthar Deity

Religious Victory turn 150 Score 504

Settled in place and converted most of my continent before the other religions were founded. Georgia war dec'd me, but I was able to fend off and get peace. I found the last two civs fairly late and it took a few turns to get my apostles over to convert them.

Attached Files:

8. Alphons Rodulfo

Alphons Rodulfo weakling

Turn 153 religious victory.

Perhaps this was my first religious victory. As always, this GoTM was very educational. The main thing I learned was: get Cartography A.S.A.P. For many turns I had lots of super powerful apostles waiting in the sea, anxious to get across to the other continent.
    In the meantime I had lots of fun with an offshore island full of barbarians, tribal villages and a six shot apostle that could convert heathens.

Thanks for the game, lads!

Attached Files:

9. Monthar

Monthar Deity

How was it super late when you won before turn 100?

10. Minou

Minou Prince

Just finished a T105 game, will write up tomorrow.

@hitretz - thanks for reminding me that you can block AIs from founding Religion by standing on their Holy Sites. I used to use this trick, but totally forgot about it.

I would use a military unit, and I was surprised to hear that religious units got “despawned” by a Great Prophet in your game? I thought that since a Great Prophet can occupy the same tile as a religious unit, you can’t stop the AI from actually founding the Religion that way. But, I guess the idea is to stop them from buying Missionaries since opposing religious units can't occupy the same tile? So, I wonder if the Great Prophet killed the units upon founding, or if the AI actually CAN buy a Missionary and doing so killed your Missionary?

Interesting stuff, I really enjoy Civ 6 because even after so many games there is always one more little thing to learn.

11. Minou

Minou Prince

T105 RV

My original plan was to beeline Shipbuilding and either kill or convert everyone, whichever seemed faster in each case. Eventually, I figured out that the map seemed to be Continents, not Continents and Islands as listed, and had to shift focus to getting Cartography ASAP.

Early game:

Settle in place, builds were: Scout/Builder/HolySite/Warrior/Settler/Warrior/Shrine(gold)/Slinger/Slinger/Campus. Second city directly on Diamonds on coast to west (for Sailing boost). It built another Holy Site and then focused on military. Never built another Settler but kept 6-7 conquered cities.

Got Scared Path the Holy Site so both Holy Sites produced 8f from all the rainforest. I met Valetta, Antioch, and Cardiff quickly but got no first contact envoys. However I did get one from Vilinius despite meeting them later. Also lucked out that Valetta gave an Irrigation boost quest and I popped the boost from a hut (since there was no Wheat/Rice).

I took Amani first and levied 5 Warriors from Vilinius to steal a Zulu Settler and conquer Norway’s only city. After meeting 5 AIs by T26 I started wondering if the map was actually Pangea…

Middle Game:

Got a religion T52 with Choral Music and Missionary Zeal, Exodus Golden Age T61.

My own troops slowly took out Zulu while levied troops took out Hungary. Warriors and Archers were more than enough in both cases as the Prince AI had no walls and very few troops, though the Hungary attack was delayed because by the time my first levy expired Vilinius had spammed so many Archers to the south that it cost 500+ gold to re-levy and I needed to save up for a few turns to afford it.

I came extremely close to taking out the Phoenecian capital with two Oligarchy-boosted Galleys but a Bireme showed up and ended the attack on T62. I came back with a third Galley T72 and conquered the capital.

Some sloppy play led to the loss of two Missionaries to barbarians. I had one auto-moving to the coast and he was killed by a Warrior. Punishment for my laziness! The other was picked off by a Tireme while searching for a shallow water passage east.

A sailing Missionary found Antananarivo on T62 which made me think shallow water passage to all AIs was possible, but by ~T70 it became clear this was not the case as units hit shallow-water dead ends east and west. I shifted everything into Science mode, chopping a second high-adjacency Campus, running CRG, grabbing Hypatia, pillaging the only AI Campus on the map (in Hungary) and rushing the Researcher promotion for Pingula. I was able to get all the boosts along the way, building Apandana in the capital (nice to have it, never available on Deity) and the two Harbors in my second city and the former Norway capital. The all-out effort resulted in T88 Cartography.

Late Game

With Norway, Zulu, and Hungary wiped out it only took one Missionary to convert Phoenecia’s second city and two Missionaries to convert three of Georgia’s four cities. Georgia both founded a religion and had a bunch of Horsemen, so my strategy was to first convert their cities and then declare (wiping out the Horsemen with my 6 levied Archers on the opening turn) so I could kill their three roving Missionaries of their religion before they re-converted any cities.

Sailing Missionaries found Japan T89 and Rome T90, and since neither had founded a religion it looked like I was cruising to a win. Then to my horror Japan founded a religion on T93, wiping out the religion I had just spread to two of their cities and creating two fully Buddhist cities that would be tougher to re-convert. Thankfully there were a few Missionaries out in the water nearby already.

However, in the meantime Rome founded another city, so that only 2 of 4 were converted. To add insult to injury, I had just pulled a Missionary off the Roman continent to help with the Japan situation, so sending it back south took a bunch of extra turns. Once that Missionary found the other Roman cities (very far to the southwest of the capital) I was able to finally win on T105.

Summary

The biggest “mistake” of this game was not focusing on more rainforest-boosted Campus to get Cartography earlier, but this was impossible to know since the map was listed as Continents and Islands. Low difficulty Religion games are really wierd, in that figuring out if Cartography is needed and pumping Science if it is ends up being practically the most critical part of the game.

Japan founding a late religion cost me 10 turns. To be fair I would have seen it coming if I checked the Great Person screen more closely, but I am not sure I could have stopped it.

Spoiler :

ships.jpeg
    My favorite part of the game was the Galley invasion of Phoenicia. I don't usually use Galleys so I forgot they get the Oligarchy bonus. That was fun!

End game.jpeg
    Melee at the end of the game trying to keep Georgia converted by stealing that Settler and killing their Missionaries. I was surprised they had a ton of Horsemen after all the other AIs had such weak military.

Attached Files:

Victoria likes this.
  12. Monthar

Monthar Deity

On a replay I got down to a turn 122 victory. It would have been quicker, but Japan founded a religion just before I reconverted Norway, so I had to send more units over to reconvert Japan.

13. Victoria

The was exactly my issue and it does seem the one continuous failing of the GOTM team, to get the announcement description correct! The games are great And GOTM support and feedback superb, just that extra 5% care would be appreciated.

Alphons Rodulfo likes this.
  14. isopaha

isopaha Chieftain

RV 144. Same mistake as others here: the late cartography. Could have shaved 20-30 turns by leaving out half of the (superb) holy sites and building some more campuses. I do not really enjoy religious (or even usually found religion in other games), but this one was not so tedious as usual.

Attached Files:

15. Enfant_Sauvage

Enfant_Sauvage Chieftain

RV 129.

Spoiler Details :

I converted the final cities on the turn 129 but the layout actualised it on turn 130. And on Pantheon it's written t128 :)

Settle 6, captured 0. 5 would have been enough, my sixth city had still no holy site.
    I build HS on each city, then Campuses and TS. Government Plaza was not that helpful.

As a religious game, I knew that a good culture and science on early game are helpful.

- Astrology, first then Writing, Cartography and Mathematics.
    - Mysticism, then Poltical Philosphy, Theology for adjacency bonus on HS, Recorded History for adjacency bonus on Campuses and finally Reformed Church for cheaper apostles.

Culture was good, I used Choral Music on my religion because I decided to build HS and Campuses rather than HS and TS.

With HS adjacency and buildings I had a lot of faith. I ended up with 200+ Faith at turn 120.
    I began to convert the main land at turn 50, finished at turn 80. Then I have converted the other island with Apostles.

Not that much, Antananarivo helped a little bit with my Great Scientists (5).

When I saw 5 ennemies on the main land I thought it was a Pangea, I was a bit surprised at turn 70 when I saw it was actually A continent + Island map. I had a good science so I decided to go for Cartography instead of Printing.

It was fun, easy but fun. It's been quite a while for me and it was my first GOTM so I enjoyed it.

Attached Files:

16. TheFinalChiTown

TheFinalChiTown Chieftain

RV T124

Spoiler :
    - How many cities did you settle or capture? settled 9, captured 5
    - What did you prioritize for research and policies? early: theology then feudalism; late: cartography and anything to increase movement (square rigging, mercantilism/logistics)
    - Did you bother with Culture? took choral music. built one +5 theater square.
    - How did you pump your Faith?? fire goddess! settled 4 cities near volcanoes.
    - Were City-States helpful? jerusalem suz bonus helped convert my own cities, but probably didn't affect the outcome much. any religious city state would've worked.
    - Any surprises you ran into, how did you deal with it? a pleasant surprise was vesuvius only erupted once. in other games it seems to go off about every ten turns. didn't know that hagia sophia increased the spread count of trained units. had i known this i would've trained more missionaries early and left them with one charge.
    - Did you enjoy the game? yes i did. my only feedback would be to have the higher difficulty game second the next time we do the same type of victory back-to-back. it felt kind of weird playing on prince after winning on immortal with scythia.

Here is some ancient era turn detail in honor of @Eyswein :
    • 1-Rio(SIP): 6-scout, 15-settler, 19-builder, 20-slinger(gold), 22-tile(stone), 26-tile(hill), 28-settler, 34-holy site, 36-warrior, 37-monument(gold), 38-warrior, 38-tile(gov plaz), 42-archer, 43-trader(gold), 45-archer, 47-tile (iron), 49-archer, 53-builder, 55-holy site rep, 57-builder, 58-gov plaza (chop), )
    • 20-Salvador (4E,1NE): 32-monument, 41-holy site, 47-archer, 52-builder, 60 builder
    • 33-Brasilia (4SE): 53-monument,
    • Era: 1-continent discovery(+4), 6-vesuvius (+3), 10-tv, 12-phoenicia, 18-zulu, 20-bc (+2), 32-bc (+2), 33-georgia, 33-new continent settle (+2), 33-nat wonder settle (+3), 33-volcano settle, 34-splendid holy site (+3), 34-tv, 38-fire goddess, 45-bc near (+3), 47-1st classical civic (+2), 48-bc(+2), 56-norway, 59-yosemite, 61-golden age

Attached Files:

17. Zedseayou

Zedseayou Chieftain

RV T185

I used this as a learning experience to refamiliarise myself with mechanics. Unlike others, I didn't even know what technology was required to embark onto Ocean, so I discovered Rome and Japan from World Congress and then built Apostles to send out, only to have them stuck on my coast when I actually checked what the right tech was (nope, not Shipbuilding...).

Settled 4, captured another 7 from Zulu and Carthage for 12 total

Astrology, and then honestly I had no idea. I realised that I should beeline Theology somewhere in the midgame but I don't know if it even mattered, because I used my faith very badly - didn't know when to buy Missionaries/Apostles, never could hunt down enemy Missionaries so cities got converted back and forth. I relied mostly on having the first religion and Jerusalem pressure for much of my spread. Thankfully neither Rome nor Japan had a religion so they only took a couple Apostles each.

I don't really know what this question means. I didn't build Theatre Squares until lategame when it didn't matter, I suppose. Choral Music made up basically all of the deficit.

I took Pilgrimage, but mostly relied on good holy sites in conjunction with Sacred Path. The doubling of Holy Site adjacency policy stayed in my government basically as soon as I got it, and then I also used Simultaneum (although I didn't really have any 10 pop cities)

Jerusalem I'm sure accelerated my natural spread. Valleta was really useful later because it let me faith-buy walls to ameliorate my total lack of production or army.

Getting double DOW from Dido/Tamar was annoying, I lost a city temporarily. I kinda thought it would be a total cakewalk and didn't really have much army at all. Even at the end I was conquering Dido with just 3 crossbows and a musketman. I also didn't really plan around low production well. I tried building a few wonders; Machu Picchu and Mahabodhi Temple, but I am really not sure

Major mistakes/lessons:
    • Not using faith early on missionaries to establish a foothold. It seems as though many of the stronger/faster players decided to just conquer/eradicate Holy Cities to stop religions popping back up.
    • Conquering Shaka might have been dumb because he didn't have a religion.
    • Banking faith for no reason other than I was busy doing other things. Probably a big cost in TTV
    • Not having more scouts/visibility units to help chase down Missionaries that appeared. I felt like I was running in circles with Apostles
    • Not getting Cartography until late, and then not sending apostles out immediately upon getting it
    • Building literally any of the wonders I built. It seems that they didn't do much, even the Mahabodhi temple was way too much production for not much benefit.
    • Not understanding how to view the religious situation of a city (you can click the thing under the city in Religion lens, apparently)
    • Enhancing for more beliefs - I think that Mosques were not worth it and neither was Pilgrimage, probably. It delayed my religion push a lot. Either that, or just take Pilgrimage and not Itinerant Preachers, which might be a leftover Civ V habit
    • Not beelining for the religion governor's promotion that gives extra promotions, given that I wanted to do Apostles
    • Numerous other things related to not knowing the game well enough yet - settling a city to build Great Bath only to lose the race (I just wanted to see how good it would be under floods...)
    • Missing a golden age midgame so I didn't have Exodus movement for the bulk of my religion spread
    • Matthias seemed to have some hidden cities that I didn't see, because I thought I had a majority well before it actually gave me dominant religion.
    Thoughts/Questions:
    • It seems as though there is just a lot of micromanagement involved? I really disliked having to move apostles out, but not use all their MP, so that I could promote them and still buy more the next turn in my Moksha city. This was even worse when I got the two promotions title. I also felt like apostles without Translator (3x strength) or Proselytizer (reduce 75% enemy religion strength) were just really bad, especially since I could never hunt down Missionaries and get the pressure reduction in multiple cities.
    • I don't know if extra spreads are worth it? I didn't get Hagia Sophia, but the mosque cost an apostle and time. It would make itself back in spreads after 3 apostles I guess, but costs extra faith too.
    • @Casualty of war what happens when you found in someone else's Holy City? Does it just eradicate the previous one? Also, didn't this mean you needed to delay religion founding a lot?
    • What does it mean to do "4 Holy Cities opening" @hitretz? Meaning conquer them to stop them making missionaries? It will still make pressure unless you spend charges on the newly conquered city, right?
    • @Victoria did you not build apostles because then you don't have to wait for temples? I did not rush Theology fast enough and am thinking that doing what you did, just use the faith on missionaries way earlier would be better.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 10, 2020
    Uberfrog likes this.
  18. Victoria

Why on earth would you wait for apostles? They are no stronger converting atheists and a civ that is the same religion as you is +5 diplomacy with you. You can work out fairly early who will be getting a religion by both looking for holy sites being build and how many prophet points they have. Naturally converting a city that will be going religious is a fail because when it turns your religion is removed, but every other city including a civs cities that do not have holy sites are fair game, and the earlier you convert them, the harder they are to change.

missionaries for atheists, apostles for blasphemy.
    Missionaries +holy order = cheap as chips.

Alphons Rodulfo likes this.
  19. Nassim

Nassim Chieftain

Wait, you can do that ???

Turn 170 victory for me. I'm not good at trying to rush victory, for instance with RV I tend to try to convert all the cities of the civs who founded a religion to be sure their religion doesn't come back... also I like converting through religious battles more than usual conversion which might in this specific case (and difficulty) made the game longer.
    It was a fun game anyway. Founded 6 cities, conquered 4 from Dido and Antioche. Choral music helped a lot as did a few high bonuses campuses.

Attached Files:

20. Knowtalent

Knowtalent Emperor GOTM Staff

A holy site generates GP points for its owner. As long as a religion is available a GP will spawn then you can use it in the old holy city. It auto converts to your religion, along with all of your cities that have holy sites.