1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

6otM85 After Action

Discussion in 'Civ6 - Game Of The Month' started by leif erikson, Apr 14, 2020.

1. leif erikson

leif erikson Game of the Month Fanatic Administrator Supporter GOTM Staff

Welcome to the 6otM85 After Actions Report thread. In this thread you can post the results of your game. Please state victory date and score (preferably in the post title), as recorded in the Hall of Fame, and the most important: your path to glory!

STOP - Please do not continue reading this thread until you have completed and submitted your game.

Please attached your victory save to your post.

- How many cities did you settle, or capture?
    - What did you prioritize for research and policies?
    - What did you build for an Army and Navy and how did it change?
    - Did you use your UU/UB? Were they useful?
    - What was your most useful unit?
    - Was diplomacy useful? How?
    - Were City-States helpful? Did any other civ give you a hard time about city-states?
    - What was your strategy, how did you gain your Culture VC?
    - How many cities did you take with military?
    - How many Dark Ages and/or Golden Ages did you have? Did you have a strategy?
    - What effect did Loyalty have on your settling or conquering? How did you mitigate its effects?
    - Any surprises you ran into, how did you deal with it?
    - Did you enjoy your game?

Please use spoiler tags for any surprise details you'd like kept hidden. Thanks.

Players are encouraged to provide feedback on the game. Some players like to replay the game, and although we will not record the results from a replay, you can still post your new experiences (please state if the game is a replay). Please refrain from posting videos until the deadline for submission is over.

Knightfall likes this.
  2. kb27787

kb27787 Deity

upload_2020-4-16_13-26-29.png

Edit: T234, not 235 as previously posted (HoF indeed says t234... although I'm pretty sure I saw the victory screen t235 before "one more turn" upon which the above screenshot was taken) Score 1109

10 self-found cities, and friendly with the world. No conquering

humanism and flight... turns out though not that many rivers on this map for chateaux, so in hindsight I could've gone for a different tech/civic path.

Just units to reach 8 for inspiration. Horses swords and archers early to defend

Did not use UU. Useless as was friends with everyone. UI is spammed wherever possible (not many though)--there is no French UB.

The builder

Trading?... I guess.

- Were City-States helpful? Did any other civ give you a hard time about city-states?
    The only cultural CS on the map (Kumasi) was wiped out... and so was La Venta early game; the other CS not useful for the victory type at all

Just build normally... then get rock bands and hope for the best.

first 2 normal, rest golden (3)

- What effect did Loyalty have on your settling or conquering? How did you mitigate its effects?
    Cultural alliance with Phoenicia... (as her cities are immune to my pressure anyway...)

Sweden I expected to have ridiculous culture due to UI, but Brazil also having ~300 cpt was unexpected; given he had only a handful of theatre squares. Surprising that AI will now use music censorship card...

It was OK... I hate narrow maps like these with mountains and hills and lots of ocean... makes moving units around a pain. Would've loved to see a map with flat flood plains with lots of rivers for France (chateaux on enhanced flood plain tiles are really good as long as you have a dam!)

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 16, 2020
  3. wangjm

wangjm Chieftain

Turn 282, score 1628

15 total, 3 captured

Prioritized production and wonders. Tried to take advantage of Grand Tour ability as much as possible. Early went for Petra in second desert/blocking city. Made up culture ground by using extra spy and free promotion. Stole all the writings I could get my hands. Money also.

Had to build early archers because Dido declared early war. Took Biruta from her as a result. They sat around until Dido declared war again, so upgraded to crossbownman. Not but beyond that other than a few battleships to protect against Norwegian domination.

No, not too much land for chateaus to be useful.

archers to flight off first attack and then lots of workers.

yes, for trade and sell resources and favors to.

no and no. The only good one was Mexico City and they were taken out by Norwegian. Religous ones would been useful if I found them earlier, but missed out on religion because of early war and expansion.

strategy was to wonder spam and then national parks and rockbands. Initial patheon helped a lot with earth goddess and the large desert natural wonder. Having petra on that made those tiles nice. Once I fought off Dido, I expanded quickly to take the rest of the area. The mountain ride to the east was a good barrier so was the sea to the west and south. So I worked to fill up the area with cities and then just sim citied as much as I could.

1 from Dido, another Dido's city flipped to me, and then took one last city that flipped to barbarian from Dido.

2 dark ages followed by all golden ages. No early on was just to survive and expand.

I gained 2 cities late game.

no not really other than some nice natural wonders to take advantage off.

sure.

Attached Files:

4. Ceydezed

Ceydezed Chieftain

Turn 283 CV

I settled around 10 cities, captured 2 from Dido and one from Eleanor. I probably should have done more conquest as Kristina gave me a really really hard time culturally in the end game.
    - What did you prioritize for research and policies? I rushed Oracle and horses; Dido declared almost instantly (not even turn 15 i think), so i had to adjust my plans. Then i went for campuses and TS; then Castles for the spies.
    - What did you build for an Army and Navy and how did it change? I made a couple of horses that evolved in coursiers then cavalry; a couple of gendarmes later in the game.
    - Did you use your UU/UB? Were they useful? The UU is quite strong and i took a bit advantage of it in order to fight Harald, who declared as part of an emergency and wouldn't want to peace until quite late in the game. I built a couple of chateaux but i do not think they changed a lot.
    - What was your most useful unit? Spied were excessively valuable, i wouldn't have won without them. They stole at least 15 works of art from Sweden and Brazil, all my great work slots were full at the end of the game. Without them i think Kristina would have prevented me to actually win the game, especially after everyone closed their borders to rock bands.
    - Was diplomacy useful? How? I used an emergency to free Hattusa from Eleanor and took one nearby city from her, and then as a joint emergency her, spain and Harald declared on me. Was in a war for most of the game, as Harald didn^t want to peace out until i sent some troops at his borders.
    - Were City-States helpful? Did any other civ give you a hard time about city-states? Not really. Kumasi was dead before i even met them. Being suzerain late game for the 5% culture boost was good though.
    - What was your strategy, how did you gain your Culture VC? I built a couple of wonders early game, then a lot of Teather Square. My culture and GPP were quite high but my faith not that much, so i couldn't have more than 3-4 rock bands and parks. After this both Brazil and Kristina, who were strong contenders, closed their borders to rock bands and i had to rush all the policies, get the tourists great people, build some ski resorts, etc. It was long at the end.
    - How many cities did you take with military? 3; after Dido declared on me early game i pushed back and eliminated her, then took one more city from Eleanor. Also took one from Spain but it flipped quite quickly.
    - How many Dark Ages and/or Golden Ages did you have? Did you have a strategy? Had mainly golden age all along.
    - What effect did Loyalty have on your settling or conquering? How did you mitigate its effects? Not too much.
    - Any surprises you ran into, how did you deal with it? I was surprised to see how good Kristina and Brazil did. Kristina was mostly peaceful but had rock bands very early; Brazil conquered most of Ottoman and therefore was very advanced in both science and culture. They really delayed my victory a lot.
    - Did you enjoy your game? Yes, although it was quite long and painful at the end.

Attached Files:

5. Fluphen Azine

Fluphen Azine What is Fluphen Azine?

Turn 211 Culture Victory

Spoiler Turn 211 CV :
    CV 211.jpg

I posted turn 200 pictures at the bottom of this page if interested.

12 + 1 Capital, all self founded.

Flight and Computers but didn't really prioritize them.
    I ran the Wonder Card most of the game.
    I used the 2f2p ally card most of the game as well.
    I used all the Science and Culture Cards at first for multiplying both.
    I switched into the Tourism Cards as they came in.

Not too much as I did not Declare any War this game.
    I built 8 units at first and upgraded them for the boost.
    I combined 6 of them to get the boost as well.
    I rush bought a galley for the era score and exploring.
    The Ottomans got mad at the world and declared on most of us.
    They made peace in ten turns though.

I only built one UU for era score.
    Decided to try all out peaceful as @Victoria says war is really not worth it for CV.
    I built more wonders than ever this game since it is pretty strong with France and Tourism.
    Never bought or used any rock bands.
    I plowed some farms to put down Chateaus but for the most part I didn't buid many.
    Maybe 6 to 10 total.
    I did faith buy 2 Naturalists to build National Parks to draw more tourists.

Wonders and Builders I suppose.
    After I won and clicked on One More Turn...
    Statue of Liberty and Broadway were completed, lol... I found that funny.

I played slow and exploited trade with the AI so this helped me finish faster than usual.
    Making Allies and using the 2p2F cards is always useful!!

I found Kumasi too late.
    I got to ally them for awhile but they got taken over
    I had a little trouble with Babylon but was able to get control
    I focused mainly on the Science CS's this game
    I did ally up with 1 Gold, 1 Production and 1 Faith CS eventually

Play Nice
    Build Wonders
    Slot in Tourism Cards
    Buy all the AI's Art
    Run Theater Projects
    Relax

None this game which is kinda rare for me.

No Dark
    First Normal
    Rest Golden
    Build Wonders for Era Score was mostly the strategy.

I had no issues with loyalty one way or the other.
    I really didn't focus or notice it this game.

I didn't DoW anyone and Not many barbs was the biggest surprise for me.
    I kinda finished faster than usual which was a nice surprise.

For the most part.
    I played slow and abused the trade screen more than usual.
    It makes you finish faster but it is a bit daunting.
    I tried to relax and focus more than my usual style.
    I am always happy to have the GOTM and read everyone's experience.
    Thanks Again @leif erikson and GOTM Crew!!

Spoiler Turn 200 :
    Turn 200 Main.jpg Turn 200 Mid South.jpg Turn 200 Desert.jpg

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 16, 2020
  6. Casualty of war

Casualty of war Warlord

1 turn too late for a golden Classical, a Dark Medieval missing a Heroic Renaissance by 1 Era Score. Sigh. The only thing keeping hope alive was being very wealthy and EVERYBODY being willing to sell their Relics and Great Works. Sweden, Brazil AND Norway are all in striking position to win, neck and neck with me, and I'm going to have to nuke at least two of them to pull this off. Resigning in shame and exhaustion around Turn 280, cranking about 700 Tourism and barely gaining any ground.

I should say I might finish this because Global Warming is devastating these Civs and not hurting me too badly, but choosing Coal Power Plants on purpose feels ethically murky to me.

wangjm and Fluphen Azine like this.
  7. Sid Baker

Sid Baker Chieftain

Turn 368 - Score 1191 CV (eventually)

Yeesh what a slog....Been a Civ player since the original, my first post here and first GOTM though. Thought I'd give it a go. Was hoping for sub-300 but nevertheless it's nice to compare my skills with others.

I settled 10 of my own which includes a captured settler. Got one city when Dido originally surprise DOWd me. Got another two from her when she resoultioned me for the first one. Got two more including her capital via loyalty flip when Harold finished her off late game. 15 total.
    Tried to bee-line castles for the spy and humanism for chateaus. Was going to go for religion/Jesuit for the "free" theater buildings but abandoned when Dido attacked. Used the faith for settlers later on.
    Only enough to defend myself from Dido
    Chateaus all along the rivers, only built the UU for the era score
    Builder. Had Colossal Heads everywhere I hadn't already built something else, except for rivers.
    Non-factor. Lots of denouncing but only Dido declared, except for Spain that surprised me on the literal last turn.
    La Venta was good for Colossal Head spam, Hattusa got me some Iron stored up before I could get to my source. Had suzerain of all of the remaining when I switched to the 5% culture card.
    Colossal Head and Chateau spam. Tried around 9 wonders but only got 3. Kristina had a huge lead, resorted to spies to steal some works with decent success. Had five parks and ski resorts were maxed out. Tried to go for religion with finding the nat wonder early but backfired when I had to switch to military to defend against Dido. Rock Bands were marginally helpful. Kristina banned them, but managed to filp one of Dido's cities from Harold before he banned them.
    3 plus a settler snagged by a horseman
    Can't recall, had a mix of both. Golden Medieval allowed me to faith buy most of the settlers.
    Got two cities from Dido (via Harold), one natural flip, one I escalated with two Rock Bands. Never had any pressure against me. Elanor was eliminated, her loyalty ability was a non-factor.
    Keeping suzerain of La Venta was surprising, only needed eight envoys at nearly 400 turns. Spain declared war with two level four robots in Blois, I was defending with a horseman. He had 10x military strength but it was the last turn so no harm.
    Yes. First time testing my game against others. Dido and Elanor were eliminated by Harold and Phil, maybe that slowed me down? Will try the next one and hope for better.

Attached Files:

8. leif erikson

leif erikson Game of the Month Fanatic Administrator Supporter GOTM Staff

Welcome to CivFanatics and 6otM! :wavey:

Thanks for joining us and hope you have fun with future games as you teach us. :thumbsup:

9. pahakuutti

pahakuutti Chieftain

155 CV

Settled in place. Opened with builder, settler, monument. Got settler from pantheon.

Dido forward settled me quite early (around T15-20). So I beelined to horses to deal with her.

3 first cities built monuments first. Then helped to get my small army up. And then campuses.
    Conquered Phoenicia with 4 horses + 2 archers. Let Dido alive with her last city. Later I regretted not eliminating Dido as she continued to cause problems: competing city states + grievances + military emergency. The military emergency lead to very long war with Norway (maybe 80 turns or so).

Spoiler Admirable commitment to the cause by Harald :

Settled 12, captured 4
    Horses, writing, flight, radio, computers.
    2 archers, 2 warriors, 4 horses. And some other stuff for city state quests.
    Gold purchased 2 galleys to be upgraded to caravels (for exploration boost). Later upgraded those to ironclads to liberate Lisbon from Norway.
    No. Garde imperiale is great unit, but it's comes too late and it's on wrong side of tech tree when playing almost any victory condition.
    Horseman
    Spain was my only friend. All others denounced me. Only at the late game I was able to improve relations and get open borders + trade routes.
    Suzerained the blue city states asap. Others I didn't care. Until late game when I needed those colossal heads
    Flight, seaside resorts + spammed some wonders too.
    Dark age, heroic, golden.
    Conquering while in dark age makes things harder. One of the Dido's ex-cities kept revolting until dark age was over. I had to park my horses next to it and repeatedly capture it so it doesn't fall into hands of Dido.
    I guess it's not a surprise, but the free spy Catherine gets is almost useless. He dies 9 out of 10 times on first mission, despite having free promotion + gain sources mission. This time I it was not completely useless as I got 30 diplo favors for promising not spy again.
    Yes, thanks for the game!

Spoiler winning screenshot :

Attached Files:

leif erikson and Fluphen Azine like this.
  10. Villus

Villus Chieftain

CV, turn 233
    Settled on tobacco and, then scout, builder, settler and got RS for 3 early cities

Settled 10, captured 1 and flipped 1
    First to build army with Agoge, later a lot of wonder building bonuses and at the end of course the tourism bonus cards. For research Flight and Computers
    An Archer and Warrior army for initial combat with Dido, later totally peaceful
    The Chateau where Ok and the Garde Imperial useless
    Builder, trader
    Kept friends for most of the time to have al ot of ongoing deals
    No, Babylon got conqured, I did not find Kumasi and missed that I would get tourism from the colossal heads of La Venta
    To use a wonder/chateau hook to get support the great works tourism and rock bands, however this was a very costly way and not the most efficient way to get to the CV
    1, Tyre where very well protected by geography at my early war with Dido
    Normal, Golden, Normal, Golden, Golden. No built Taj Mahala so it was pretty easy to keep the golden ages rolling
    I flipped 1 city to me. No problem when mostly in golden.
    No cultural city states (never found Kumasi) and the best AI competition I think I have seen in Civ VI. Kristina almost erased Dido and banned my Rock Bands already at around turn 220. Eleanor wiped out Philip at around turn 200 (delayed my victory by about 10 turns)
    Yes, thank you for an interesting game (I prefer CV and SV)

GoTM 85 Win.png

Attached Files:

11. Enfant_Sauvage

Enfant_Sauvage Chieftain

CV T194

Spoiler Details :

That was hard to get under T200 because of the lack of Culture on Early and Mid Game. No cultural CS, Kumasi and Babylon get captured before T100. Pedro was making too much cultural defense, it was weird. It may be explained by his TS's adjacency and GP's points.

Settled 12, captured 0. It was peaceful, except for stealing settlers (1 from Dido and 1 from Pedro). I built only 1 settler, I decided to go on a Faith econmy game to buy builders and settlers thanks to Golden Age Monumentality.

Astrology (for HS), Writing (for Campuses), Masonry (for Pyramids), Mathematics (Petra), Machinery (Kilwa <3), Printing, Castles (because France. I stoled 6 Great Works from Pedro thanks to my spies), Cartography and Flight.
    Mysticism (for Oracle), Political Philosphy, Drama and Petry (for TS), Recorded History (for Great Library), Feudalism (6 charges builders), reformed Church (for cheaper archeologists and naturalists), Humanism (for Châteaux), Conservation (to put some woods everywhere and buy naturaists), Cultural Heritage, and finally Democracy.

I played greedy, so I built one archer and only 3 scouts. I stoled a settler from Dido with only 1 warrior at turn 16, made peace at 26. Went on peace all the game with Dido. Kristina, Philip declared me some weird surprise wars at turn 140 but I had walls so it was ok. I lost nothing.

I built Châteaux everywhere, had something like 20 of them.

Builders by far and naturalists.

Yup, I selled all my luxuries (with Colosseum + a few natural parks Activities were good) and diplomatic favors to Kristina and Philp for gold and gold/ turn to buy TS's buildings (3 art museums | 9 archeological museums). Archeologists were buyed with gold or faith (I took Monumentality again on Renaissance Era).

Babylon helped me a little bit before it was captured. Religious CS were helpful to get a lot of faith for my economy.

I focused on faith economy to purchase builders, settlers, archeologists and naturalists. I took earth Goddess as a pantheon. I took Choral Music on my religion, built HS and TS in all my cities except 4 cities with good campuses. I built some early game wonders (Oracle, Pyramids, Great Library, Petra, Kilwa Kisiwani, Great Zimbabwe). I built some Colossal Heads to get more faith, put something like 100 pins of woods, colossal heads and natural parks to know exactly where to put parks.
    I unlocked Conservation at turn 150, I used my 6 charges builders to put woods everywhere, châteaux near to rivers and colossal heads near to woods. I unlocked Flight at trn 170.

It was an appeal oriented cultural game. I made some Great Works but I focused more on appeal and natural parks. I could have buyed more naturalists instead of spending my faith on archeologists. I don't really know what was the best thing to do. I had a really strong Early game, T194 is actually pretty bad I think, but no Cultural CS + a huge cultural defense from Pedro made this game a bit longer than expected.

0. Peaceful ! Always peaceful.

I had a classical Golden Age, Medieval Normal Age (was a bit upset, it slowed my exmpansion), Renaissance Golden Age, Industrial Golden Age and the game finished on Industrial Era.

Loyalty was nice, I lost nothing, won nothing with Loyalty.

No cultural CS made the game a bit different than what a was planning for. I focused more on faith than culture.

A lot ! If I had to remake this game I would probably go on a no TS cultural game with only wonders, appeal, châteaux, colossal heads and natural parks. I also built only 9 wonders, which is pretty bad for France. Maybe some reliquaries game, I don't really know if it's a good map/game for a reliquaries game. Hard to get relics without Kandy before T100, and after T100 it's too late for that. Maybe with a fast Cristo ?

upload_2020-4-19_17-41-33.png

Attached Files:

12. Enfant_Sauvage

Enfant_Sauvage Chieftain

Waw ! That looks fast. I guess science is more important than I thought for this kind of game. What would you suggest for a no TS game with this map ? Religion and get faith for Natural Parks ? or good science for seaside resort and culture on improvements with Flight ? Maybe both ?

13. Eldiez10

Eldiez10 Chieftain

2020-04-19.png

CV turn 201

9 captured 5

initial build warriror, mindset, with a deligation to my firs nirgbour i would be safe with the intel bonus damage,

no

yes i was able to befriend everybody execpt Dido, agined alot of gpt from selling my spare lux

La venta won the game for me with colosal head

I accually though i was going to win around turn 150 but Pedro exploded around turn 130 time
    300 fpt and 18 writer point pr turn and started recutting alot of the cultural gp i should have used for my theming bonuses

initially fligth with had to adjust and save faith for rock bands my 5th rock band finally gave me Glam rock
    -
    Dark - Hero-Golden - Golden

my second war agianst Dido while in a dark age gave me some trouble

well managed to suz babylon 1 round after both Spain and England declared on them, I levied thier units just to miss the fact that an English horsman could reach Babylon 1 round before i could position their units around the city (the horseman could go around a river and still reach :( )

very much had fun, and the fact that I managed to get my 2nd city with pingala with 100% GP and oroacle + Great Libery was something I always wanted to try but never managed before this game, quiet nice boost in Great persons per turn :D

Last edited: Apr 19, 2020
  14. Nassim

Nassim Chieftain

Turn 304 CV, 1223 points

I settled 9, including 2 from stolen from barbs. Dido declared on me straight away, but she defended very poorly so I managed to take 2 of her cities. On top of that her capital flipped to me late game, and surprisingly so did a swedish city.
    Had to go for archery early for self defense, I was also planning to build culture through religion but that didn't work out and I didn't even get a great prophet...
    Defense only
    A few castels added some culture, so there's that. Only bought a UU to avoid a dark age before the last age of the game
    Builders, rock bands and naturalists... well and great artists
    I guess it avoided more wars and helped me buy some art cheaper
    Hattusa helped through the game for getting a bit more science and lots of ressources. Would have liked to use Mexico a bit for helping with wonders in the capital, and Babylone could have helped too but they got conquered before I found them.
    I'm surprised I got all my museums but one to be themed, that helped ! Also got 4 national parks and spammed ski resorts.
    3 golden and 3 normals I think
    No issues for my city, but I got 2 handed for free !
    Didn't expect Norway to lead in both science and tourism, and I never managed to get on Harald's good side. Actually was quite worried he would declare war in the next few turns as he had death robots and I wouldn't have been able to defend myself. Even more annoyingly, he built more wonders than I could and I was hoping for Catherine's wonder tourism bonus to help.
    Also had all civs except Brazil closing their borders for rock bands, that slowed me down a bit and as far as I know there is no work around for that.
    Yes, my first deity game, with a civ I find average, I'm really happy with that ! (and I guess I'm happy I did it with my native country in a way, and not with one of the most overpowered ones)

Attached Files:

15. Enfant_Sauvage

Enfant_Sauvage Chieftain

Congrats !

Same for me. The defense of Pedro was weird...

16. DanQuayle

DanQuayle Prince

CV T150

Pantheon: Earth Goddess
    I settled the two natural wonders to secure classical golden age
    Dido only had two cities early on, I guess she must have lost a settler to barbarians
    I ran 4 holy prayers to get a religion

Settled 8, flipped 1 from England forward settle
    Research: Printing Press, Siege Tactics
    Civics: Theocracy, Conservation
    3 archers, 1 galley
    1 horseman, 1 heavy chariot (quests)
    Nope
    Apostle
    I was friend with all AIs in the mid-game
    However, I decided to try to convert Spain/Sweden to my religion and thus accumulated grievances (mistake)
    I then lost open borders from Spain for the last few turns
    Most useful: Yerevan
    Babylon got taken down early by England who I was friend with. I didn't bother to liberate it.
    I found Kumasi last and quite late. It seems Norway accumulated quite a lot of culture from it.
    I mainly focused on the faith city-states.
    Relics
    I built a few more wonders than usual (I got a nice +20 culture theater square from them)
    Zero
    All golden, I barely got the first one by settling the two natural wonders
    None since I was in golden ages all the time
    It allowed me to easily flip one forward-settled city from England
    I got the Printing Press eureka in a tribal village
    Eleanor stopped to be willing to sell me her GWoW just when I was about to buy them from her
    Yes, one of the longest 6otM CV I played

Attached Files:

17. Fluphen Azine

Fluphen Azine What is Fluphen Azine?

@DanQuayle

Great Game as usual!
    I didn't realize I was supposed to build 5 Wonders next to my Theater Square.
    Thanks for the tip!

18. DanQuayle

DanQuayle Prince

@Fluphen Azine
    I mainly did it because I didn't find any cultural CS early on.
    If you're going for flight, you might want to spread the wonders alongside the river (on the river or 1 tile away) for Châteaux with better yields.

Fluphen Azine likes this.
  19. tobols

tobols Chieftain

Culture Victory, turn 216.

Well this game was a blast!
    I probably could have been more focused and won earlier, but I sure had fun.

Game started with my warrior running into Dido just as her first escorted settler was on it's way south to forward settle me. But instead my warrior stood for a couple hundred years and blocked the small choke point until I could settle and block her. She wasn't too happy about that, and declared war not long after. I had anticipated this though, and had walls up even before she had archers. It was a short war, and no cities changed owners.

After this followed a long and prosperous time of peace. I met Sweden, England and Spain and we all made friends. Soon enough Dido came around and we became friends as well. My plan was to get the oracle combined with Pingala and start recruiting all the great writers and artists. This plan failed. I had some respectable great writer point output, however someone else, someone unknown, just had waaaay more than me.

Sure enough, when I first met Pedro, he was already pushing more than a 100 culture per turn. Myself, I was around 30 by that time. Insanity. I did have a couple of aces up my sleeve though. First there was Sweden, the buyer of diplomatic favors. Kristina made me lots and lots of gold this game.

Secondly, there was my first city, Amboise. It was not only built to block Dido, it was also next to the natural wonder Sahara el Beyda. Together with Reyna and Petra, the city was flooded with gold. So even if Pedro was snatching all the great people, I was still buying all their works.

And that's basically how the game progressed. I kept chopping theater squares in my cities, and then buying all the buildings with gold. Then buying all the archeologists with faith.

My first age was golden. Then after realizing I would never make it golden with the second, at least managed to keep it a dark one. Then heroic, and then golden again.

Babylon made me quite a lot of science since I had bought all the books from Pedro. So I was pretty annoyed when it was attacked by England. Then amused again when England didn't bring a single melee unit for like a thousand years, just shooting over and over with crossbows.

Eventually, rock bands came around, and then, finally, I could break the cultural tyranny of Pedro.

Very pleasant game! Thanks alot!

Spoiler :

Just look at all that gold!
    upload_2020-4-20_21-33-14.png

upload_2020-4-20_21-33-50.png

Attached Files:

20. hitretz

hitretz Chieftain

T143 CV

Settled 11, captured 2 from Dido

Found Relic T14 but Religious Settlements was taken. Took culture from pastures instead and it really helped with the lack of cultural CS.
    T16 got denounced by Dido. Stumbling on her unguarded settler/builder prompted the early war. Took her two Cities with just 3 archers 2 warriors, one gold bought galley and 6 Levied warriors.
    She heavily prioritized her UU, so I just blocked two of her water tiles with workers.

Spoiler T60 :

ss03.jpg

Despite the early Relic I wanted to go Flight and Simcity. Got Golden Classical, and decided to go with Jesuit Education + Monumentality + Wonder Spam + UI Spam.
    Played slow, got the necessary Wonders (Pyramids -> Oracle -> Colosseum) gearing up for Renaissance.

Spoiler T75 :

ss04.jpg

Having eliminated Dido I suffered in trades early game getting denounced by Sweden. I also had to be mindful of an Emergency against me. Fortunately, grievances towards me died down just before Congress and I was able to send "gifts" and befriend the AI in time.
    Once you hit Humanism, there is A LOT of stuff required to get the empire up and running. I could've prioritized Faith a little more. I was hoping to buy all the infrastructure quicker. Like, you need Universities up ASAP for a good Computers timing but you also need your Archaeology buildings.

Spoiler T100 :

ss05.jpg

I enjoyed this style of play and will try again in other Deity CS games. Made a lot of mistakes in Industrial/Modern. No Eureka for Flight or Radio (wrong build order on some campus/theatre squares).
    Didn't save up enough gold for Archaeologists. Got my "Wonder Spamming" online a little too late (Petra/Forbidden Palace/Haghia Sophia). Should have chopped in Forbidden Palace instead of Kilwa. Didn't make the trade posts towards Brazil and it caused me quite a few turns. I had to settle a city late game just to get a trade route going. All great little lessons.

But nonetheless, I was geared to win somewhere in T130 but Brazil just really took off, despite me buying his great works. Perhaps keeping Dido alive would've gotten me the needed Tourists earlier.

The spy is too slow (8T action + 7T travel) for a gamble on the GW steal. AI also moves his works around which would cancel your mission.
    Builder
    A lot of resources to trade.
    Religious and Scientific were most useful.
    Rush buy with Jesuit and spam UI.
    2 from Dido.
    All Golden.

I don't know why, but I was really pleased building the few Nazca improvements. Simcity happy :) Thanks for the great map Leif!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 21, 2020