1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

6otM85 Opening Action

Discussion in 'Civ6 - Game Of The Month' started by leif erikson, Apr 14, 2020.

1. leif erikson

leif erikson Game of the Month Fanatic Administrator Supporter GOTM Staff

Welcome to the 6otM85 Opening Actions thread.

STOP - Please do not continue reading this thread until you have completed at least 80 to 100 turns in your game.

This thread is used to discuss the game once you've started playing through your first 100 turns. Apart from normal decency, the only posting restrictions are to please not post videos until the deadline is finished and to use the spoiler tags for screenshots. Here you can post questions related to the game and share your achievements/anger/frustration/victories while you play. Please remember that we are running a family friendly site, so express anger or frustration with this in mind. :)

Please use this thread to discuss your goals for the game and your opening moves through the first 100 turns. Anything after that should be posted in the After Actions thread once you have completed your game.

- How long did you search for a site for your first city? What criteria did you use?
    - Where did you settle your capital city? Your second city?
    - Did you make a plan for achieving a Culture VC, what are the major steps you planned to take?
    - What did you research and which policies did you choose and why?
    - What was your build order?
    - Which Pantheon did you select and why? Did you get a Great Prophet?
    - How long did it take to find your neighbors? Were they hostile or friendly?
    - How soon did you build a District? Which ones did you prioritize?
    - Did you try to build any Wonders?
    - Did you emphasize expansion? How many cities have you built/captured in the first 100 turns?
    - How quickly did you get Trade Routes working, who did you trade with?
    - How did you play your governance cards, priorities?
    - Which Governors did you choose and why did you choose them?
    - What City-States did you meet and which ones did you cultivate to your side?
    - How were the Barbarians?
    - Any surprises?

Please use spoiler tags for any surprise details you'd like kept hidden. Thanks.

Knightfall likes this.
  2. Fluphen Azine

Fluphen Azine What is Fluphen Azine?

- How long did you search for a site for your first city? What criteria did you use?
    Not too long. I was looking for Irrigation Luxuries to settle on.

Moved over to the Tobacco to get the Faith and Lux.
    Second City was directly South on another Luxury to sell asap.
    The two AI that I met paid me dirt for all of my luxuries.
    Perhaps I should of waited till they offered more but I wanted to sell.

- Did you make a plan for achieving a Culture VC, what are the major steps you planned to take?
    I made the same plan I usually make.
    Scout nearby with the warrior.
    Hard Build a Builder and Settler within the first 3 builds.
    Build up a Defensive Army which worked too good as I didn't get many Barb Camp Spawns.
    Try to survive, tech up, get gold, play nice and attack mid/late game.
    Build Too Many Districts/Buildings.
    Hoping to convert improvements into Chateaus eventually.

Mining, AH, Pottery, Writing to get luxuries and improvements.
    Campus First along with Government Plaza in Capital to get Settlers.
    I made a straight beeline to PP getting all the inspirations.
    PP came fast around turn 50 or less but Feudalism took me forever late in the 80s.

Scout, Builder, Slinger, Settler.
    When I got Agoge I built 3 slingers and 3 warriors.
    Rush Bought another Scout to get the boost for 8 troops.
    Had enough land so I played Friendly but probably should of attacked.

Religious Settlements for the free city of course.
    No because I rarely go for religion.

Found two of them pretty quick and they were impartial.
    I won them over eventually and we became friends.
    I ended up finding everyone but not first so only 3 Era Points.

Campus because I have been doing this lately.
    My games seem to go better when I go Encampment First but I was playing peaceful this game.

I got the pyramids in my 3rd city.
    Probably could of got the Colosseum if I prioritized it but I always forget Entertainment Districts.

- Did you emphasize expansion? How many cities have you built/captured in the first 100 turns?
    Hard built all of them with two cities.
    8 + 1 Capital at turn 101.
    Probably could of stolen a settler from Dido but she tricked me with hide and go seek.

A bit late but I did get the 4 for the boost which is nice.

The usual suspects.
    I ran the Settler Card most of the time.
    I did run the +2 Scientist for awhile.
    I ran the Wonder Card for pyramids.
    +2 Builder Charges at Feudalism of course.
    I ran Republic the whole game so far.

Struggled with this a bit but I went Magnus First into Provision.
    I wasn't getting good early growth so I delayed Ping.
    I took Amani next to get some Era Score.
    Probably should of just went Ping x 2 or 3 from the start as it always seems safer.

I met a couple Science, Faith, 1 Gold and 1 Military CS so far.
    Got the Science ones on my side but having some competition.

Not many or not enough as I could of used more.

- Any surprises?
    Not really.
    I gold rushed a bunch more builders this time trying to get better at that.
    I also put 1 turn Builders in Cities and switched after Feudalism.
    I basically do the same thing in most of my games.
    100 turns of peace and build too many things I really don't need.
    Abuse the AI with the usual manipulations.
    Get the Tech Lead and Improve Army.
    War it up between turn 100 - 200.
    Either go Domination or stop clicking and try to win SV or CV.

Spoiler Turn 101 :
    Turn 101.jpg

Last edited: Apr 16, 2020
    leif erikson likes this.
  3. Casualty of war

Casualty of war Warlord

1 turn too slow to get my Golden Classical, and it all went downhill from there. I am well set up to get a Science Victory though! A Culture Victory is going to be a slog, and if I hadn't just learned one of the cultural leaders will sell Great Works to me I would probably stick a fork in it.

Had to settle south of the Rhone because my neighbors northward would have pounced on any Settlers I sent that way. Spent my Medieval squabbling with one of my neighbors, converted and flipped one of their cities during the war and had to take a payout peace deal when I didn't have the right strategic to continue. Now I'm going to head southward to take Great Works by sword.

This won't be fast but hopefully it will be a win.

Spoiler :
    upload_2020-4-16_16-29-0.png

Fluphen Azine likes this.
  4. MrRadar

MrRadar Emperor

Finally got around to start with this.

I moved my warrior down two tiles to take a peek...

...and then moved east and settled on the tobacco, for +1 faith and faster pantheon. Second city to the west, south of the Lebanon mountains, SW of the gems.

My plan was to look around and then decide, but mostly wing it, as usual :)

Mining, AH, and as I found a natural wonder, I took a detour for Astrology, thinking maybe to get a religion, but when I saw with what speed AI started to accumulate GP points, I ditched that idea.
    As my cultured neighbours started to introduce themselves and when I found some horsies nearby, I thought that Catherine will bring French culture to the world on the tips of French swords. Or, rather, horsemen. Iron was too far.
    Hit PP around t60.

Scout, builder, warrior, settler. Or something like that, I forget.

Religious Settlements, I felt I better have more cities faster.
    No GP for me, they went like hot cakes.

Quick enough to shatter my cultured dreams. Two of them brought me extra sadness and pushed me to sharpen my clubs and arrows, to avoid depression.

Campus first +2, and campus second +5, and then campus again third +3. I will research that cultural victory at all costs.

Nobody was building Pyramids, so I got them in Paris. Nobody was building the Oracle, so I built it in Bordeaux, my second city next to the western gems. Two out of two so far, at t100.

Founded 6, and acquired 2 more with very cultured and polite horsemen.

A bit lacking here, 2 internal so far. Money's tight

Went for Autocracy first, to build some troops, which is very unusual for me, then Oligarchy. Very late Government Plaza.

Magnus with provision, Liang with Zoning, now hired Pingala and he's next for a few payraises now.

2 Science, 2 Faith, 1 Gold and 1 Military CS.
    Military has 3 my envoys, others mostly 2, except one with 1, and one faith one has four my envoys. I had to lean on it to renegotiate some military contracts and with great success - that brought me 2+2 and another 2 era score. My Classical was boring normal, 5 points shy, but I got Medieval Golden with no waste - 45/45, perfect! Picked Monumentality, of course.
    One science CS barely survived and AI attack, but now I see it repaired walls and healed, so maybe it will be ok.

Very lacking, cost me a couple of missed eurekas. Now I see a jolly barb camp and extended barb family sitting behind the western mountain chain, and my warrior blocks the single access tile to my lands, as I have no time to go and deal with them atm.

- Any surprises?
    Oh, man, the terrain, the geography! It took an eternity to get anywhere.
    A couple of very unfortunate neighbours for a CV.
    My horsebacked cultural crusade stalled a bit after the initial two cities, because the opponent got very uncultured xbows. And hills, and forests, and mountains do not cooperate very much. Thank God, still no walls in sight, at t100.
    On the other hand, I have the most techs, and that's encouraging.

State of the French Oligarchy, T100:
    Spoiler :

5. Zedseayou

Zedseayou Chieftain

So I had wanted to try this game in hopes of a fast "salted fish" CV with peaceful chopped theater squares, wonders and some relics with Mont St. Michel to close it out as shown on some other threads, but reality really kicked me in. The map terrain is really hard to navigate and I still have not met everyone, despite getting my theater squares in and starting the great writer train. Unfortunately Dido just took my capital T82 and so I'm probably going to bail, restart and try something different. I was optimistic I could keep her happy but no dice. Disappointing as I finally felt I was getting the hang of moving Magnus around, timing techs/civics/workers/population so that cities could build when he arrived, managing eurekas and inspirations etc.... I even got Pyramids T52.

Looks like a science route to get some military is perhaps the better approach, especially given all the nice mountains on this map for adjacency. This is despite the fact that I felt I had enough space, except for Dido's annoying warring. I just wanted to try peaceful victory for once...

How do you know if someone else is building the wonder?

Last edited: Apr 22, 2020
  6. MrRadar

MrRadar Emperor

Basically, you make an educated guess. Or just a guess :)
    If you scouted out the land, then you can see what AIs are building in the FOW when you take a look around the map from time to time, but otherwise you just observe what wonders remain available longer than usual. In my case Pyramids and Oracle kept being available, so I gave a shot at them and hit.

7. glaca

glaca Chieftain

actually, if you see - even in the FOW - the AIs terrain, its easier to use search tool and it will reveal where the wonder in this case is beign build :)

8. HildeboltvonBerenreuthe

HildeboltvonBerenreuthe Chieftain

So, here goes my review after 100 turns!

Turn 99 screenshot..
    Spoiler :

Screenshot (1040).png

Turn 155 screenshot (current)..
    Spoiler :

Screenshot (1061).png

Not very long at all. Plains hill is always my bias, and when there is a luxury on top then there is rarely a contest. The instant faith meant I could plump straight for the production card without neglecting a pantheon.

As I probably made clear, I settled "Paris" on top of the Tobacco hill tile. My second city was placed to the West on the plains hill tile adjacent to the river and the two Sheep tiles on Turn 27. This provided immediate production, food from the wheat tiles to the south and a block to the path of Phoenecia to the north - keeping them in the tundra!

My initial plan involved getting a religion and potentially making a relic play, after getting such an early pantheon and finding a Natural Wonder within the first couple of turns. This changed relatively quickly, however, when I discovered Phoenecia to the north. My plan then changed to taking a dominant lead and focusing on beating out the other civilizations to key Medieval, Renaissance and Industrial wonders, before spamming Theatre Square districts, running projects and using my spies to steal other civilizations' Great Works. I was also keen to get as many Chateau's out as possible and, if the opportunity arose, to find another Tourism-providing city state improvement.

I beelined Masonry as I managed to get an early boost and placed Pyramids asap. I avoided the God King policy in favor of production, and went for Agoge as soon as possible to build enough military units to take a Phoenecian city straight away. I then headed for Currency to get my commercial hubs going as soon as possible.

I can't remember precisely, but I got a scout out relatively quickly as well as a granary to get Paris growing. Within 15-20 turns I was spamming warriors and slingers to attack Phoenecia.

It had been my initial intention to go for a religion, which is why I picked the River Goddess pantheon. This would mean I could essentially get a free Holy Site district in every city to boost my religion game and whilst I didn't get a religion, this boost has certainly helped in the mid-game for the Monumentality Golden Age.

A couple of turns to find Sweden and Phoenecia. They were both relatively unfriendly, as the Deity civs normally are, but I was even more unfriendly to Dido. I declared war relatively soon and took one of their coastal cities to the north, Kty.

The government plaza was the first district I completed, followed swiftly by a commercial hub. Commercial hub followed by Holy Site was the trend in most of my other cities, except for those near particularly potent Campus spots such as Toulouse and Amboise (both +4). In the Medieval Era, all Holy Site buildings were +100% so getting these up and running became a priority ahead of my Renaissance Golden Age.

The Pyramids in Paris. This was a priority for me and I was delighted to nab it on Turn 58. I knew this would set me up excellently for any Golden Age and get my Chateaus up and running as quickly as possible.

Yes. Most of France's benefits arrive in the mid-game so it was important for me that I found and settled key sites by turn 100 and had as much infrastructure prepared as possible to compete for important Wonders. I captured one city from Phoenecia, Kty, which also gave me access to the sea to the north and ensured that I had the whole of the southern region to myself. By turn 100 I had a total of 7 cities, without a Monumentality Golden Age.

I got 4 up and running before turn 100, and focused primarily on setting up road networks for my builders and emphasizing food and production for my major cities ahead of gold.

I went for the Autocracy government early doors, as I felt it gave me the ability to attack Phoenecia and then to set up defensive infrastructure, whilst it also gave me an important short-term boost to Wonder construction, as well as the not-negligible legacy bonus. I prioritized unit construction and maintenance reductions early on for my military policies and builder bonuses for my economic policies. I threw in the double-envoy bonus whenever I had one spare or when I was about to complete a city-state mission.

I initially prioritized Pingala to offset the early investment in war and wonders. My second choice was Magnus to chop rainforests (poor appeal) and to get settlers out without losing population.

I met La Venta, Ngazargamu, Hattusa, Babylon, Cardiff, Valletta and Lisbon in the first 100 turns. The first state I managed to suzerain was Babylon, giving me a major science boost in the late-Medieval era, followed by La Venta for extra faith and Colossal Head spam and then Valletta for ensuring my walls went up for tourism boost.

Pretty much non-existant after the first 20 turns.

- Any surprises?

Eleanor constantly trying to forward settle me and losing cities to population flips (post Turn 100) has been pretty funny/ironic. After making peace with Phoenecia, we have not been at war at all and are now allied/friends with everybody except for Norway.

Attached Files:

9. Uberfrog

Uberfrog Deity

Feeling a little frustrated with my decisions in-game. Not a terrible start, but a bit slower than I would've liked, and wasted time on a war I wasn't really able to prosecute. Still it's a very interesting start, and I'm having fun, even if I've forgotten I'm meant to be playing for Culture... :lol:

I moved just the one turn to settle on the tobacco for the extra faith and early luxury to trade.

Paris is a city of smokers settled on the tobacco. My second city was settled in the Loire valley to the south, the other side of the mountains to Paris.

This is my first Deity game in Gathering Storm so I wanted to practice a solid start and as a result didn't really focus Culture yet... foolish. Spent a lot of early turns building an army expecting Dido to attack

Animal Husbandry and Archery first to defend myself, but as luck would have it I managed to trap Dido in the one tile mountain pass so she couldn't settle immediately north of me. I ended up declaring war on her in the end, but her city was too tricky to take with warriors and archers alone.

Two Scouts, one of which proved very useful in blocking Dido's settler. Then a ton of Warriors and Slingers to defend against her warriors, and eventually go on the (failed) offensive.

Managed to get Religious Settlements thanks to the early faith from the tobacco, so the free Settler was very nice. Didn't bother with religion after that.

Dido found me pretty quickly and seemed to be gearing up for hostilities with three warriors near me and an early denunciation. She ultimately never declared war. Kristina and Eleanor have been easy friends so far.

Took too long to build a Campus. Probably should have built some Theatre Squares by now!

Foolishly tried for the Hanging Gardens, missed out. Probably could have gotten the Great Bath but I have grown accustomed to never trying so let it get away.

Yes, although I am not very good at it. I have seven cities now and have captured none, despite trying to get Tyre.

Had a nice trade route with Ngazargamu pretty early on, and now have a good route to Sweden.

Standard stuff, try to get Oligarchy quickly for warring, slotting Colonisation when I get it. Have some nice Campuses now to slot the bonus card in.

Went Magnus first to pop Settlers without reducing population.

Have only suzerainty over Hattusa at the moment, but have early contacts with Lisbon, La Venta and some military city states.

Haven't really had any near me, which is nice!

- Any surprises?

Just how difficult getting the ball rolling has been. It seems easy to make sub-optimal decisions that spiral a little bit out of control. I feel very behind, particularly with Culture, but it will be fun trying to catch up.

A nice surprise was getting the World Congress culture bomb abiulity for my districts, which let me steal Phoenician iron with an aggressive Encampment emplacement! Also managed to steal a Phoenician Settler recently. Poor Dido...

Spoiler Turn 111 :
    GotM-85.jpg

10. Vlad Dracula

Vlad Dracula Warlord

- How long did you search for a site for your first city? What criteria did you use? I settled on the tobacco for the faith and the lux.
    - Where did you settle your capital city? Your second city?Tobacco and the 2nd was4 west of the first
    - Did you make a plan for achieving a Culture VC, what are the major steps you planned to take? Dido's attack knocked things off the rails.I was going to try to wipe her out to get a few built up cities, but only managed to take one city because of her biremes.
    - What did you research and which policies did you choose and why? AH,pottery,astrology,archery.Barb card and god king.Swapped god king for production after getting the pantheon.
    - What was your build order? Slinger,then warrior x2,scout,back to warriors after the declaration by Dido.
    - Which Pantheon did you select and why? Did you get a Great Prophet? Religious settlements for the free settler.No prophet.
    - How long did it take to find your neighbors? Were they hostile or friendly? Dido came at me.Kristinia was unfriendly but went at Dido instead of me.
    - How quickly did you get Trade Routes working, who did you trade with? It took me a minute because the war I just focused on roads between my cities.
    - Which Governors did you choose and why did you choose them? Magnus for chops and settlers, Pingala for culture science and gpp.
    - What City-States did you meet and which ones did you cultivate to your side? La Venta and the military one.
    - How were the Barbarians? Not bad
    - Any surprises? Dido denounced and attacked me not long after meeting her.The game said she just "didn't like me".

11. peacefrog

peacefrog Chieftain

Hi! I'm new to this forum and not a Deity-level player until this challenge. I'm not sure if I will finish on time but here's how my start went.

Went north to settle on Marble luxury.
    - Where did you settle your capital city? Your second city? Paris on Marble for the production + culture boost. Went west for second city as I had barbs south of the river and was at war with Dido in the north.
    - Did you make a plan for achieving a Culture VC, what are the major steps you planned to take? This is the farthest I've ever gotten in a Deity game, and a lot of my losses have been to culture, so this is a challenge for me. I'm figuring it out as I go. Wanted to focus on building wonders and chateaux, strong theatre square placements next to wonders etc. I created a pretty strong government district between Lyon and Paris with wonders to boost theatre square (not yet built in screenshot but I got one in Paris +7 and one in Lyon +4 around the government plaza a bit later).
    - What did you research and which policies did you choose and why? Military research and policies mostly because I was at war with Dido. Astrology because I was trying for a religion but didn't get one.
    - What was your build order? Slinger first. Then warriors, a settler, more slingers.
    - Which Pantheon did you select and why? Did you get a Great Prophet? I wanted Desert Folklore but someone beat me to it. Religious Settlements also taken. I took Monument to the Gods for wonder production boost. Didn't get a prophet.
    - How long did it take to find your neighbors? Were they hostile or friendly? Dido attacked me right after we met. I conquered 3 of her cities & elimited her from the game. Became an emergency target after I conquered Aynook but Phillip wasn't attacking me.
    - How soon did you build a District? Which ones did you prioritize? Holy sites in 2 cities around a government plaza. Encampments to culture bomb, after I won the culture bomb resolution.
    - Did you try to build any Wonders? Built Pyramids in Paris. Got a few more later in the game but I'm not doing as well as I would like to be in terms of wonders.
    - Did you emphasize expansion? How many cities have you built/captured in the first 100 turns? Not as much as I should have. I founded 3 and won 3 from Dido.
    - How quickly did you get Trade Routes working, who did you trade with? I didn't get too many, I'm still not great at maximizing my trade routes. Still learning. I was also at war for the first 100 turns so I used my first one to build internal roads, and to complete a city state quest for Hattusa.
    - How did you play your governance cards, priorities? Don't remember, nothing special.
    - Which Governors did you choose and why did you choose them? I took Victor for defense right after I captured Aynook. Took Magnus later for chops and the settler promotion.
    - What City-States did you meet and which ones did you cultivate to your side? Hattusa, Lisbon, two religious. Befriended Lisbon and Hattusa.
    - How were the Barbarians? Very helpful actually, they were attacking Dido so they helped me win her cities.
    - Any surprises? I'm surprised I made it this far, especially given the early aggression from my neighbours. I'm not a strong wartime OR culture player. Surprised I eliminated Dido. I'm still not doing well on culture but I've managed to buy works from the players leading in culture, moved up from last place to 5th. Let's see if I can finish the game - that's my main challenge, not necessarily winning.

leif erikson and Uberfrog like this.