6otM86 AAR

Knowtalent

Emperor
GOTM Staff
Welcome to the 6otM 86 After Actions Report. In this thread you can post the results of your game. Please state victory date and score and the save choice (preferably in the post title), as recorded in the Hall of Fame, and the most important: your path to glory!

STOP - Please do not continue reading this thread until you have completed and submitted your game

Please attached your victory save to your post.
- How many cities did you settle or capture?
- What did you prioritize for research and policies?
- Did you bother with Religion?
- How did you pump your DV?
- Were City-States helpful?
- Any surprises you ran into, how did you deal with it?
- Did you enjoy the game?
Please use spoiler tags for any surprise details you'd like kept hidden. Thanks.
Players are encouraged to provide feedback on the game. Some players like to replay the game, and although we will not record the results from a replay, you can still post your new experiences (please state if the game is a replay). Please refrain from posting videos until the deadline for submission is over.

Last edited by a moderator:
DV T241.

Spoiler Details :

I settled 10 cities around my capital. I took religious settlements to get a free settler, buyed 2 settlers with Faith on Monumentality Golden Age.

Concerning the techs I focused on Astrology to get a religion to get Mahabodi Temple, Archery to get an OP Temple of Artemis, then Machinery to get Kilwa Kisiwani, Astronomy to get Potala Palace, and finally Seasteads to get a bonus Diplomatic Victory Point.
Concerning the civics I focused on Mysticism to get Oracle, Political Philosphy, Feudalism, Exploration, Civil Engineering to get Lady Liberty and finally Democracy.

I had my religion at turn 55. No one on the main contient focused on getting a religion, so my religion naturally spreaded to Kongo, Ottomans and Sumer. I built no religious units. I had 2 apostles thanks to Mahabodi Temple and improved my religion with them. Religion helped me a little bit with buildins (took Jesuit Education) but the purpose was mainly to get Mahabodi Temple.

I had only one competition due to a natural disaster, so I gained 2 points thanks to it. 8 points thanks to Wonders and techs (+2 from Mahabodi Temple, +1 from Potala Palace, +4 from lady Liberty) and 10 points from World Congress. The game finished on the Industrial Era World Congress on turn T241. It would have been faster if I had more competitions.

Yes ! 4 Scientific CS : that means +15% Science on all my cities thanks to Kilwa + 15% thanks to Geneva. Bologna helped me to get Great Persons. Getting suzerain grants Diplomatic Favors so I became suzerain of all the cities states I was able to. Suleiman captured Geneva at the end, 15 turns before the end So it was not a problem.

Not really, after a good expansion + a good focus on early wonders and religion I was sure to win the game. The question was more : how fast can it be ? It was a bit slow because there was only one competition due to a natural disaster. But I am pretty happy. The AI's were mainly peaceful, Shaka and Gorgo were at war but nothing weird so the extra of keeping all the major civs was easy to make.

Yes : it was a lot of fun.

upload_2020-5-3_2-28-36.png

upload_2020-5-3_2-28-56.png

Attachments

• 6otm86 Poundmaker DV T241.Civ6Save
    2.2 MB · Views: 468
Diplo victory turn 302. I got all the diplo wonders, but missed some resolutions in the beginning for luxuries (twice!) and another one about unit production (I bet on gold, forgot the AI prefers production). That is 60 turns too much for this game, for 3 missed resolutions. Meh.

- How many cities did you settle or capture? 15 settled, 3 military captured, 1 loyalty flip
- What did you prioritize for research and policies? PP for Apadana, te one for Mahabodhi, and then to max eurekas/inspirations. The AI was too slow to be competitive wonder-wise.
- Did you bother with Religion? Yes for Mahabodi temple
- How did you pump your DV? Suzerain of all the city states + alliances (stopped alliances after I understood it gives diplo favor to the AI as well...)
- Were City-States helpful? A lot of course
- Any surprises you ran into, how did you deal with it? Losing 3 resolutions :( I should have more anticipated the AI choices
- Did you enjoy the game? Kinda, it's only my 2nd diplo victory I wish I had been more focused

Additional info:
Only 1 disaster mitigation turn 270 for Gilgamesh, way too late to accelerate the victory.

On the early gameplay, I got into some wars to free the northen city-states from Suleiman and got his capital & a couple of other cities in exchange. I shouldn't have, as I generated a lot of grievances so my diplo favor generation was not optimal.
I had to liberate Chaka twice as he was being rolled over by Cyrus.
Most of the game was mostly peaceful though.
I was suzerain of all the known city states during the game.

Overall it was a long but funny sim-city, I got Apadana and 13 more wonders in the capital, free envoys is always nice.
Spoiler :
20200503212235_1.jpg

Attachments

• POUNDMAKER diplo vic.Civ6Save
    2.4 MB · Views: 243
Last edited:
DV also T241/242 (I expect to see a lot of these as this is the kind of the baseline minimum turn for DV on this particular game, given 1 emergency competition... I only had one, same as the other two players above. Only random luck would push the victory turn lower)

Credit to @leandrombraz for his helpful congress guide document found here: https://forums.civfanatics.com/thre...ty-victory-on-turn-184-with-a-bad-civ.657460/
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1tijUMhbPASBgan3JqCtCQMPqxmMog-0tPQ6BWI7EkrQ/edit#gid=0

Path to victory, not surprisingly, more or less identical to @Enfant_Sauvage and I expect many others to follow:

Spoiler :

With DV not needing any special focus outside of some key wonders, this game was free to be kinda lazy and sandbox it. I elected to go peaceful.
- How many cities did you settle or capture? Settled 15. Did not war at all. Lazily tried to bread and circus flip some from Kongo while basically pushing End Turn for the last 100 turns but was unsuccessful.
- Did you bother with Religion? Yes, needed for Mahabodi. The prophet counter indicated there was no competition so I founded very late (T100 or something on a single holy site at the time without any buildings, built a second holy site with an adjacent woods for the Wonder).
- How did you pump your DV? Apandana in capital with wonder spam, explored to discover city states. I believe there were 10 unconquered and I suzerained them all for basically the entire game.
- Were City-States helpful? Yes, principal source of DF but did not need much DF.
- Did you enjoy the game? Honestly it was kind of MEH given the victory condition and difficulty. Not much to aspire to given the hard floor on victory turn time... there were surprisingly a lot of resources and playing peacefully at the same time proved strong for Cree but I think a different VC would have been more competitive. Still, thank you for the game as always.

Congress notes: Knowing how the Congress works makes the DF less important. A luxury vote came up and at the time I had 6 sugars so that was a shoe-in to ban. City state vote I put 5 votes in Scientific given the volume of Science States but the extra vote were overkill. Several times a single vote for military production. The only surprise was a trade route vote that I put a single vote for myself (as I was allied with 5 civs at the time) at, in a stroke of surprise luck (I expected the result to be a shoe-in), it passed as a 6-6 TIEBREAK.

I got to Seasteads but did not get to Global Warming Mitigation (but that was not necessary given winning every Congress Vote and all the Wonders put me at exactly 20 DV).

I finished out by dumping my 2000+DF into the final two congress measures for overkill.

Attachments

• DV Victory POUNDMAKER 241 1650 AD.Civ6Save
    2.2 MB · Views: 246
  • DV Poundy T242.png
    DV Poundy T242.png
    4.5 MB · Views: 299
Well, I gave up.

In most ways I had a great run! Made friends with everyone. Built wonders like crazy. Had all the golden ages.

But apparently I'm not very experienced with diplomatic victories. In the first round of votes I missed my first victory point because I have no idea really how the computer votes. In the third round of votes, I failed both. That's when I realized I had completely forgotten that Mahabodhi Temple gives two points. I hadn't even founded a religion.

And so, realizing there was lots and lots of "End Turn" ahead of me, I instead opted to ragequit!

It was however a very nice game, and maybe I'll give it another go in the future just for practice.

Well, I gave up.

In most ways I had a great run! Made friends with everyone. Built wonders like crazy. Had all the golden ages.

But apparently I'm not very experienced with diplomatic victories. In the first round of votes I missed my first victory point because I have no idea really how the computer votes. In the third round of votes, I failed both. That's when I realized I had completely forgotten that Mahabodhi Temple gives two points. I hadn't even founded a religion.

And so, realizing there was lots and lots of "End Turn" ahead of me, I instead opted to ragequit!

It was however a very nice game, and maybe I'll give it another go in the future just for practice.

https://forums.civfanatics.com/thre...ty-victory-on-turn-184-with-a-bad-civ.657460/
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1tijUMhbPASBgan3JqCtCQMPqxmMog-0tPQ6BWI7EkrQ/edit#gid=0

You can read up on this google doc to better understand how the AI votes!

Turn 303 Diplo Victory, 1647 pts

Settled 8, captured 1
Mostly those needed for the Diplo Wonders and for Orszaghaz
Yes, for Mahabodi temple and a small culture boost
Wonders, congress and the tech and civic giving diplo points. I was suzerain of most city states through most of the game, had to free Geneva and Hong Kong once each because of my mean neighbors.
For Diplo favors of course !
The first emergency I got the opportunity to vote for happened in round 302 !!!! So no opportunity at all to gain extra diplo points unfortunately. And the first congress with the "extra diplo points" votes was on the round I won.
Less than the previous games of the month I tried ; diplo victory is not fun and prince was no challenge... actually had to be careful not to win a culture victory. I only lost 2 votes (I think) so I don't see how I could have made the game much shorter, maybe discovering all the civs earlier would have granted a few emergencies...

Attachments

• POUNDMAKER 303 1864 ap. J.-C..Civ6Save
    2.3 MB · Views: 276
Yeah, no. When the poverty stricken AI all vote for -50% GOLD costs for units, you know the fix is in. Got to Turn 242 and knew I was looking at 30 or 60 more Turns of clicking Next Turn. Hard pass. I probably would have overtaken Gorgo culturally before then anyway.

I kept waiting for someone to get walloped with a Natural Disaster, make sure they have at least 30 Diplomatic Favor to cry for help then swoop in to save the day but only got one blizzard that smashed Gilgamesh. I needed more death and destruction.

Resigned after the second vote. I thought I understood the way votes go thanks to @leandrombraz's handy spreadsheet - which is a wonderful piece of work! But, after failing to get the Luxury Policy vote correct twice and not having had any aid requests, I was too bored to play on for another 200 or more turns.

The game went pretty well to start. I played peacefully and had control of all but one of the city states on the starting continent quickly and was focusing on Religious Unity and using my spies to Fabricate Scandal to round up the rest. Easily built Mahabodhi Temple and Potala Palace, and was about to chop out Statue of Liberty.

The first congress votes were Trade Policy and Luxury Policy. I followed the advice in the spreadsheet and put all my votes in boosting Commercial City State trade routes, which passed.

For Luxury Policy I followed checked the Global Resources list and it showed that Furs were the most common resource listing me with 3 and Gilgamesh with 1. No other resource had more than 3 copies. I assumed this would mean everyone except Gilgamesh would vote to ban Fur, so I put all my votes there. However, all of the AIs vote to ban Cotton (of which there are 3 all owned by Shaka), except for Shaka who voted to double Cotton’s bonus. After the vote, I checked and saw that while I had 3 Fur in my lands, only 1 was actually hooked up, but I also had 1 from being Suzerain of Babylon and also had traded 1 away. So, I have no clue why the counter was reading 3. It should actually have been either 0 (1 hooked up minus 1 traded away) or 1 (1 hooked up plus 1 from Babylon minus 1 traded away).

This seems to have been a weird error. I tested things by waiting till the Fur sale expired, and the Global Resources counter then updated and said I had 4 Fur, so the trade was being accounted for. But, just being in borders should not add a resource to the list (to test I bought a tile with Ivory but did not hook it up, no change), so I have no clue where the extra 2 Fur were coming from.......

At this point I was annoyed but not ready to quit since missing you can miss one vote and still win in the same time based. When the second congress rolled around the votes were Patronage and Luxury Policy again. For Patronage, the AI should vote to ban the Great Person type that is getting the most points from any single player. I was not sure what to do since I was producing 18 Great Prophet Points and 16 Great Scientist Points. I thought that maybe Great Prophet points would not count since I already recruited a Great Prophet and so put all my votes to Great Scientist which was.... wrong! Oh well, lesson learned.

Luxury Policy left me really confused the second time around. The Global Resources menu now showed me with 5 Fur and Gilgamesh with 1, even though I only had 2 hooked up (and 1 from Babylon). But, I figured even with the menu wrong Fur was still the correct choice since there were 4 "real" Fur in the game and no other resource had more than 3 copes. But everyone voted for Cotton again. Screenshot below before the vote....

Anyway, predicting these votes is not my idea of a good time! Without the spreadsheet it is basically random, and with the spreadsheet it is totally non-immersive. I would rather win the game by launching a rocket or conquering everyone than because we all agreed Coffee was bad and then I gave someone 10,000 gold after a minor flood.

whattodo.jpeg

Resigned after the second vote. I thought I understood the way votes go thanks to @leandrombraz's handy spreadsheet - which is a wonderful piece of work! But, after failing to get the Luxury Policy vote correct twice and not having had any aid requests, I was too bored to play on for another 200 or more turns.

The game went pretty well to start. I played peacefully and had control of all but one of the city states on the starting continent quickly and was focusing on Religious Unity and using my spies to Fabricate Scandal to round up the rest. Easily built Mahabodhi Temple and Potala Palace, and was about to chop out Statue of Liberty.

The first congress votes were Trade Policy and Luxury Policy. I followed the advice in the spreadsheet and put all my votes in boosting Commercial City State trade routes, which passed.

For Luxury Policy I followed checked the Global Resources list and it showed that Furs were the most common resource listing me with 3 and Gilgamesh with 1. No other resource had more than 3 copies. I assumed this would mean everyone except Gilgamesh would vote to ban Fur, so I put all my votes there. However, all of the AIs vote to ban Cotton (of which there are 3 all owned by Shaka), except for Shaka who voted to double Cotton’s bonus. After the vote, I checked and saw that while I had 3 Fur in my lands, only 1 was actually hooked up, but I also had 1 from being Suzerain of Babylon and also had traded 1 away. So, I have no clue why the counter was reading 3. It should actually have been either 0 (1 hooked up minus 1 traded away) or 1 (1 hooked up plus 1 from Babylon minus 1 traded away).

This seems to have been a weird error. I tested things by waiting till the Fur sale expired, and the Global Resources counter then updated and said I had 4 Fur, so the trade was being accounted for. But, just being in borders should not add a resource to the list (to test I bought a tile with Ivory but did not hook it up, no change), so I have no clue where the extra 2 Fur were coming from.......

At this point I was annoyed but not ready to quit since missing you can miss one vote and still win in the same time based. When the second congress rolled around the votes were Patronage and Luxury Policy again. For Patronage, the AI should vote to ban the Great Person type that is getting the most points from any single player. I was not sure what to do since I was producing 18 Great Prophet Points and 16 Great Scientist Points. I thought that maybe Great Prophet points would not count since I already recruited a Great Prophet and so put all my votes to Great Scientist which was.... wrong! Oh well, lesson learned.

Luxury Policy left me really confused the second time around. The Global Resources menu now showed me with 5 Fur and Gilgamesh with 1, even though I only had 2 hooked up (and 1 from Babylon). But, I figured even with the menu wrong Fur was still the correct choice since there were 4 "real" Fur in the game and no other resource had more than 3 copes. But everyone voted for Cotton again. Screenshot below before the vote....

Anyway, predicting these votes is not my idea of a good time! Without the spreadsheet it is basically random, and with the spreadsheet it is totally non-immersive. I would rather win the game by launching a rocket or conquering everyone than because we all agreed Coffee was bad and then I gave someone 10,000 gold after a minor flood.

View attachment 554940

I'm not sure what happened with fur, but you got a unique situation there, where 5 resources have the same amount of copies, 6 if the game is registering Fur as having 3 copies too, so the AI might choose any of these resources, if they don't own it. Considering that every AI went for Cotton, there's probably a tiebreaker for this kind of situation, but I have no idea what it could be. I never encountered this issue. The only Luxury Policy that I wasn't able to accurately predict so far was one I got in the first congress, before I met most Civs. The AI voted for Ivory, a resource I hadn't revealed yet, so I couldn't even vote for it.

As for Patronage, I marked the whole thing as theoretical because I'm still not 100% sure it works that way, and by now, I'm seriously questioning that theory. Next time I get this resolution, I'll put every number in a spreadsheet and stare at it into I can find that elusive pattern.

Last edited:
Culture Victory Turn 267, Score 2668

I went a little too wonder happy and ended up with a Culture victory a few turns before the first vote should have happened. I was 8 point short of Diplomatic victory and saving the tech and culture research for 2 of those points.

Attachments

• 6otM86 Culture Vic T267 S2668.Civ6Save
    2.3 MB · Views: 313
Thanks for the comment Leandrombraz.

Interesting note about not being able to vote for Ivory because you had not reveal it! That may actually explain why the AI's voted for Cotton instead of Fur. On Prince the AI is pretty slow and at T120 I bet the ones overseas had not gotten to my continent yet. So, maybe they had never "seen" a Fur and thus could not vote for it?

As for the tie, I think the AI's may have chosen Cotton because Shaka had all of them and he was at war with one or two others. It would make sense if the AI uses their relationship modifiers for or against others as a tiebreaker. For example, if your ally has 3 Citrus and someone you are at war with has 3 Cotton, vote to ban Cotton.

I think your sheet is right about Patronage. The AI did vote for Great Prophet which was the one with the most points being generated from any individual. I just got confused whether the points "counted" since all the Great Prophets were already taken. It makes no sense to vote to ban Great Prophet Points if no one can get another one, but then again the AI is not known for making logical choices. In my past experience they always seem to vote for Great Writer but that may be because I like Cultural Victory and probably had a lot of Theater Squares / Amphitheaters those games.

DV 273. Great terrain to expand and took capital + 2 cities from Turkey. So had a great empire, but last 80 turns were pretty much just pressing enter. Ended up with about 10 future techs and 5 future civics. Had to give away 15+ great works and leave about 10 great people idle not to win culturally. Had to do some tricks so Turkey would not be eliminated, but it was not so challenging even though at one point they were at one city.

I got all possible diplomatic victory points (wonders, tech, civic, votes), but could not finish faster. The only disaster competition was... towards myself.

Attachments

• POUNDMAKER 273 1804 AD.Civ6Save
    2.2 MB · Views: 257
Diplomatic Victory Turn 332

I lost the first vote for World Leader on Turn 301, because everyone else voted against me and they all had some 200-300 Favor and that was enough against my ~2500. I won the second one clearly as I had racked up 5500 favor for that one and the others were more or less empty. I didn't have a single emergency request, so no chance to win Diplomatic Points there. I also have never read the guide mentioned above so I based my Votes on experience about how the civ's are usually voting and lost a few ones.

Avoiding other victory conditions was not that difficult. I avoided building Theatre Squares and creating Great Works, but I built a lot of Wonders. Kongo was focusing on Culture so we were about the same pace in Tourism. Other Victory Conditions were not really realistic at this level.

Cyrus and Gilgamesh were both in trouble at different occasions in the game so I had to bring my Military there to capture any cities that rebelled and then give them back to them to keep them alive.

Interesting to win a Diplo Victory for the first time, but the last 100 turns was just "sim city".

Fun game anyway and I learned some new stuff!

Spoiler Turn 100 :
20200511001513_1.jpg

Attachments

• POUNDMAKER 332 1911 AD.Civ6Save
    2.7 MB · Views: 149
Turn 332 DV
Spoiler :

Settled 13 cities. 1 city loyalty flipped from Kongo trying to loyalty flip me early game. Tried to made friends with everybody.

Industrialisation for high production to get Wonders (Mahabodhi temple, Potala Palace and Statue of Liberty).
Steel so that I do not have to build walls to offset for high tourism from wonders.

Yes. To befriend Kongo. Got choral music for small cultural boost early.
Only had 3 holy sites in this game.
Took part in one religious emergency against Arabia.

Only had two religious emergency the entire game. Befriended everyone except Saladin and Gorgo, so there were few emergencies.
Earned few DV early game because I didnt know how amenities policy worked.
Built Mahabodhi Temple, Potala Palace and Statue of Liberty.
Diplo points farming: Missed building the Apadana because I was focusing on getting settlers early. Built Orzaghaz and sent spies to remove envoy from city states. Was suzerain of almost every CS
(except Hongkong which was invaded by Ottoman early on and Yeveran which was invaded by Zulus later in the game).
Built Spaceport and launch moonlanding for 1 time culture boost to reach Global Warming mitigation.
On hindsight I could have bought a spaceport with Reyna and worked on campus research/industrial zone projects to rush Sergei Korolav/Carl Sagan alongside other useful great people.
Rushed for Global Warming mitigation and was spamming CO2 recapture. Had 3000 diplo favours before last congress and eventually won the game.

Yes. Geneva was plenty helpful alongside Kilwa. Only had 3 campus in the entire game and focused on getting high cutlure to get to Global Warmining Mitigation.

Was anticipating a possible Cultural Vic, so I ran cultural alliance with Kongo early on and ran some policy cards that boosted alliance points so he can absorb my tourism once we hit level 3.
Also gifted allies some great works to boost their tourism

I guess I did enjoy hitting golden age every single era and building all the wonders I want!
[\spoiler]

Attachments

• POUNDMAKER 332 1911 AD.Civ6Save
    2.5 MB · Views: 244
DV 271

18 cities (3 on other continent), 1 taken from Ottos, 1 culture flip from Kongo

Normally I have 2 emergencies, in rare cases 1. This time NONE even though I tried hard to destroy Kongolese and Arabian dams. OTOH my volcano erupted at least twice per era

I lost only half voting during first session, but it doesn't matter, as that 1 diplopoint can be taken from tech. I had only 4 "easy" resolutions (once -50% hammers toward units, twice bonus trad eroute, once discount for city center). Luckily all sesions when I needed were in pairs - easy vote, hard vote to throw all favors

Early DV came from HongKong, Ottomans took it twice, so twice liberated. Later all citystates under control.

Late religion (3th city? 7th district in empire?) but it is enough for prince difficulty. I took +4 faith from wonders and free envoy upon CS conversion, I suppose pretty obvious choice in this case.

Early game active defence of Sumer, as Gilgabro was close to being eliminated by barbs o_O
I balanced at least 50 last turns on the border of cultural victory, I feeded Gorgo with great works to raise her culture. Noone wanted my artifacts though :(

Capital for Apadana + wonderspam, 4th city (Mistawasis) for district spamming trading hub (+6 pastures/camps)
caparea.png

Did I enjoy the gamee? I always enjoy Cree, simply because I can settle ice for very productive cities :p
icearea.png

PS why in HOF screen it shows 270? SG 272 was taken after victory screen, so I think 271 is finish date
DVcree.png

Attachments

• POUNDMAKER 272 1802 AD.Civ6Save
    2.3 MB · Views: 258
New here - been playing a lot of Civ during lockdown so I wanted to try this challenge. I gave up after losing 3 Diplomatic Points by a landslide at turn 301. This was a fun game but I didn't get any scored competitions and I lost two key votes by a landslide, so it dragged on for too long to keep it going til victory. I had 24 total cities, 14 wonders, suzerain of all city states and friends with everyone except Shaka, who I had to fight to restore Persia's capital. I gifted Cyrus some of the other cities I captured from Shaka.

Settled 20. Buenos Aires loyalty flipped to me after it was conquered by Suleiman. Captured 3 cities from Shaka.
Ignored military research and policies at first as I wasn't planning to start any wars. I followed city state quests to gain envoys so that guided my research and policy choices. Researched towards building the DV wonders - Mahabohdi Temple, Potala Palace, Statue of Liberty.
I was the first to found a religion. Religious Settlements, Reliquaries since I got a relic from a hut early on, Religious Unity for city-state envoys.
I built the 3 DV wonders. I won every World Congress vote until I lost one by a landslide that made me lose 5 loyalty in my cities. I kept going after that but on T30 I was voted to lose 3 Diplomatic Points by a landslide, 34 votes against my 12. Annoyingly, I didn't get any scored competitions until World Fair at T301 so won no extra Diplomatic Points that way.
Very helpful, I was suzerain of all of them so I was raking in loads of diplomatic favour to bolster my voting power.
Those traitors all voted against me en masse. Impossible to recover from the second resolution I lost.
Felt it dragged on a bit but it was my first DV attempt. It would be more fun if I got a bit luckier and had more scored competitions. I did like the map and the game concept.

Top Bottom