1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

6otM87 After Action

Discussion in 'Civ6 - Game Of The Month' started by leif erikson, May 14, 2020.

1. leif erikson

leif erikson Game of the Month Fanatic Administrator Supporter GOTM Staff

Welcome to the 6otM87 After Actions Report thread. In this thread you can post the results of your game. Please state victory date and score (preferably in the post title), as recorded in the Hall of Fame, and the most important: your path to glory!

STOP - Please do not continue reading this thread until you have completed and submitted your game.

Please attached your victory save to your post.

- How many cities did you settle, or capture?
    - What did you prioritize for research and policies?
    - What did you build for an Army and Navy and how did it change?
    - Did you use your UU/UB? Were they useful?
    - What was your most useful unit?
    - Was diplomacy useful? How?
    - Were City-States helpful? Did any other civ give you a hard time about city-states?
    - What was your strategy, how did you gain your Science VC?
    - How many cities did you take with military?
    - How many Dark Ages and/or Golden Ages did you have? Did you have a strategy?
    - What effect did Loyalty have on your settling or conquering? How did you mitigate its effects?
    - Any surprises you ran into, how did you deal with it?
    - Did you enjoy your game?

Please use spoiler tags for any surprise details you'd like kept hidden. Thanks.

Players are encouraged to provide feedback on the game. Some players like to replay the game, and although we will not record the results from a replay, you can still post your new experiences (please state if the game is a replay). Please refrain from posting videos until the deadline for submission is over.

Knightfall likes this.
  2. Enfant_Sauvage

Enfant_Sauvage Chieftain

SV T237

Spoiler Details :

- How many cities did you settle, or capture? I settled 14 cities, mainly by faith purchase thanks to Monumentality Golden Age on Classical and Medieval Eras.

- What did you prioritize for research and policies? I focused on Astrology and Writing, then the usual things for a SV game.

- What did you build for an Army and Navy and how did it change? I built 3 archers, 2 warriors and 1 giant death robot on late game for fun because Hungary declared me a war and took Geneva suzerainity.

- Did you use your UU/UB? Were they useful? Only for era score + a little bit of extra faith and scince on my walls.

- What was your most useful unit? Builders, as always.

- Was diplomacy useful? How? For Diplomatic Favors. I sellled all my luxuries, strategics and DF for gold. I was on alliances with Germany, Sumer, Australia, Sweden and India.

- Were City-States helpful? Did any other civ give you a hard time about city-states? I failed the religious focused gameplay with Fes. Germany was building a lot of missionaries so I had to make a choice : keep my faith for settlers & builders purchase or use my faith for religious units and convert Fes + Germany. I decided to give up with Fes and keep my faith for expansion. Germany took Hattusa and Fes on turn 110 and 120. At this point I wanted to give up and restart but I decided to continue and play a normal Science Game. Since I was on Golden Age on renaissance era and Germany on dark age I took back Hattusa and Fes by loyalty. Fes helped me only for the extra science on libraries, universities and the +15% of science thanks to Kilwa.
    Thanks to Rapa Nui I build only one TS and made culture on moais.

- What was your strategy, how did you gain your Science VC? As described above I failed the religious focused gameplay so my strategy was to build campuses on all my cities, build Kilwa, be suzerain of all the three scientific city-states and make science. I reached 1000 science by turn t202.

- How many cities did you take with military? None. I rased two cities from hungary on late game with my Giant Death Robot only for fun because he decalred me some WTF war.

- How many Dark Ages and/or Golden Ages did you have? Did you have a strategy? I had Golden Age on classical, medieval and Renaissance era, then dark age on industrial era and then heroic age on modern era. The strategy was to have at least the first two golden age for monumentality and faith purcahse on builders and settlers.

- What effect did Loyalty have on your settling or conquering? How did you mitigate its effects? It took back Fes and Hattusa on the game !

- Any surprises you ran into, how did you deal with it? Not really.

- Did you enjoy your game? That was fun. I think I will make an other try and focus more on the potential of Fes.

Attached Files:

leif erikson likes this.
  3. Ceydezed

Ceydezed Chieftain

SV Turn 233

I settled I think 12 or 13 cities. In the last 4-5 turns i captured two from Germany with a GDR for fun, but they didn't have any impact as i was just waiting for the victory screen. Also stole a settler from Germany a bit earlier and liberated Geneva at one point.

Early religion, then Oracle, Pyramids, and then when i saw all the culture and sciences city states around I rushed the Kilwa as fast as i could. After this went for Ruhr, Oxford,and other science tech

I built the necessary units for the boosts, a couple of infantery to go liberate Geneva, although i ended up using bombers for that. One GDR for the fun. A couple of knights / crossbows to prevent Germany to steal the Science city states.

I didn´t build the UU, had muskets before realising it was the upgrade. I built a couple of Tsikhe for the faith.

Probably builders, as in many science games.

I managed to get 100% production towards campus one time, so that was great. I think the double great people points never went in my favour though.

- Were City-States helpful? Did any other civ give you a hard time about city-states?
    Hell yes, nothing would have been possible without them. With Kilwa and globalization it ensured high science and culture. I declared 3 protectorate war (2 against Germany and 1 against Kongo) to fuel my monumentalities, so that was also great. It also helped me fait-buy my spaceport a bit faster.

- What was your strategy, how did you gain your Science VC? Went for a faith-science approach, and even if I didn`t have that much faith (around 100 per turn) at the end, the 100% after protectorate war really helped colonize relatively quickly. I guess the main issues were the lack of great adjacencies for campus in later cities, so that made it a bit slower. Having two science city states between me and Germany really helped me control the region and ensure as many protectorate wars as possible.

- How many cities did you take with military? 2 at the end because i really hate Germany.

- How many Dark Ages and/or Golden Ages did you have? Did you have a strategy? Only golden ages. I don't think Georgia's ability to keep golde ages was that helpful, as the monumentality & production for campus dedication didn't bring me that much era score. It was obviously essential for me to remain in golden eras for monumentality and production, so in the early game I rotated Amani between all city states to ensure as much era score as possible.

- What effect did Loyalty have on your settling or conquering? How did you mitigate its effects? Kongo took Geneva, and i jumped in the emergency to liberate it, but couldn't make it in time. As soon as emergency was over, Geneva flipped as free cities and i managed to bring it back to Geneva with a bomber and a mechanized infantry. It helped a lot for the end game.

- Any surprises you ran into, how did you deal with it? I allied Gilgamesh and Australia early so that was good, i could focus on Germany. They attacked me early with a couple of warriors, and i pushed him back behind the two city states, where he remained at 3 cities until the end of the game. Regularly he tried to go for the CS but i was there just killing his units while he was doubling my faith. That was fun.

- Did you enjoy your game? Yes, I enjoyed having a bit of a different goals inside the game (declaring protectorate wars), and all these first meets on great city states made it interesting.

Spoiler Victory Turn :

upload_2020-5-16_15-18-3.png

Attached Files:

leif erikson likes this.
  4. Villus

Villus Chieftain

SV turn 212

Settled 12, captured 2 from Germany and 3 from Gilgabro

Get to political philosophy ASAP, in the end a race towards Globalization but were a bit short on culture. Catched up a bit with moais.

Slingers to archers and warriors to swordsman. Later only eureka upgrade and navy only eureka units

Totally useless, missed a religion due to a lot of early wars

Swordsman and builders

I managed to get 100% production towards campus one time.

Very helpful, losted Hattusa to the germans before I could declare protectorate war (my units had just defeated Gilgabro and had some way to return to the battle front).

Sinced I missed the religous approach I intended to use due to early attack by germans and war charts piling up round my border I had to use standard science approach (a lot of good campus adjacancy in this map)

5 and 1 settler

All golden but classical, easy to stay in golden when playing as Georgia

- What effect did Loyalty have on your settling or conquering? How did you mitigate its effects?
    No large effects that very easily mitigated with governors

Very early war declaration and at the same time troop summoning at my borders so first early war to fend of Germany. Made peace with him and went for Gilgabro and wiped him out. Then back for another war to stop Frederick from snatching CS. I planned to wipe him out but his last cities where tough to reach so I stopped warring and started campusing instead.

Yes, thanks a lot for a CS-optimal map

Win GoTM 87.png

Attached Files:

leif erikson likes this.
  5. Monthar

Monthar Deity

Science Victory Turn239 Score 1591.
    I captured an Australian settler early on and Germany DoW'd me around the same time. Once I got peace with both the rest of the game was very peaceful. In the mid-late game Germany captured Hattusa, but since we were Cultural allies, I waited for the alliances to end on my landmass and switched the alliances around so I could culture flip Hattusa to liberate them. Then I sent spies to remove the governor and foment unrest in Hattusa.

Selling luxuries and diplo favor the entire game I was able to keep most of the civs broke and fund a lot of purchases in my empire, including two of my spaceports and a few other districts.

20200517151701_1.jpg

Attached Files:

leif erikson likes this.
  6. monikernemo

monikernemo Warlord

Turn 292 Science Vic

Settled 10 cities. Killed Australia mid-late game to obtain Kilwa.

Early Political Philosophy to build settlers quickly.

Midgame Bombards, Knights to conquer Australia early but was unsuccessful. Didnt maintain a navy.
    Later built Artillery and Cuirassier to obliterate Australia and free Fez/Hatussa against Germany.

UU was not very useful. Built it to secure golden age. UB gave decent faith generation which worked well with Grandmaster Chapel and faith purchase of great persons

Probably Artillery?

Reduce greivances from conquering Australia cities.

Zanzibar gave luxury which freed up local luxuries and I was able to trade truffles for extra gold.
    Science city states boosted my science. Was not able to abuse Fez's ability early because had low faith production early in the game.

Settle early, build a few good campuses. Focus on Kilwa, Ruhr, Oxford and Big Ben.

Whole of Australia

First two ages were normal ages. Had Golden Age afterwards.
    Tried to get early golden age for classical and medieval but was unable to do so.

Had loyalty trouble conquering the first Australia cities because it was near her capital city which was its largest city.
    Changed policy cards and used victor to temporarily mitigate the issue. Conquered Canberra.

Kongo might potentially win a culture victory so I had to set up a few theatre squares early.

Yes!

Attached Files:

7. DanQuayle

DanQuayle Prince

SV T169

Capital, Settler, Religious Settlement settler
    6 chopped settlers after Ancestral Hall
    Germany: Ulm by loyalty pressure, 3 cities conquered, 1 captured settler
    Australia: 4 cities captured, 2 cities razed by Rapa Nui
    Sumeria: 6 cities captured
    2 faith bought settlers for Spaceport cities
    Germany: 3 Knights
    Australia: 3 Musketmen, 2 Crossbowmen, 1 Bombard
    Sumeria: 3 Cuirassiers, 1 Bombard
    Nope
    The leader bonus where you get double envoys to city-states following your religion is the only useful ability for Georgia. Or I should say would be useful, because it didn't work at all in my game (bug). Or maybe it is supposed to work with quests only? I didn't double check that.
    I was finally able to declare a protectorate war with Tamar. I guess all it took was a boxed-in Germany cornered by 2 city-states. However, I had only 15 faith per turn at the time (because of the lack of religious city-states). So I maybe gained 150 more faith total. It allowed me to faith purchase Hypatia which I guess is better than nothing.
    I was friendly early game with Australia and Sumeria. They had no walls and virtually no army when I DoW'd them.
    I cleared the continent before meeting the other civilizations.
    I would wager that 10 city-states on your continent is better than 12 city-states on a pangaea since you are competing with less AIs.
    Near optimal set of city-states.
    Rapa Nui, Nan Madol, Zanzibar and Brussels were especially useful.
    Geneva on the other continent after clearing my own was a nice cherry on top.
    All golden ages: Monumentality, Free Inquiry, Monumentality
    Natural disaster level 3: I got maybe 5-6 droughts and 5-6 floods in my capital only. It also made me wish I had built a dam. A volcanic explosion damaged my districts 2 tiles out and killed 4 pop.
    I however got a Send Aid event and got plenty of gold from it.
    Yes! At first, I was kind of kind of skeptic... A science game with Tamar? But after meeting two scientific city-states first and later 2 cultural ones, I knew it had the potential to be a good game!

Overall, very strong map. I even forgot to bulb Galileo and Darwin.

Attached Files:

yung.carl.jung likes this.
  8. DanQuayle

DanQuayle Prince

RE: Tamar's Unique Ability
    The wording states Georgia's majority religion and not Georgia's founded religion as I originally thought.
    I guess I didn't spread my religion enough within my own empire to make it the majority religion and thus I didn't trigger the bonus.

9. tarafran

tarafran Warlord

SV-196
    - How many cities did you settle, or capture? settled 12 ,captured 3 from Germany and one more on the second continent from a barbarian settler
    - What did you prioritize for research and policies? campus religion and spaceport
    - What did you build for an Army and Navy and how did it change?1 warrior 3 archers 1 scout 2 galley and 1 tyrene

- Did you use your UU/UB? Were they useful? helped with Era score, the wall one was good for extra faith

- What was your most useful unit?builder spam for the end .

- Was diplomacy useful? tried to be friend with everyone except Germany as I was waiting for them to attack one of my 2 science Suz with they did and able me to declare the casus bell. .

- Were City-States helpful? Did any other civ give you a hard time about city-states? Yes got to meet 2 science and 3 culture CS first

- What was your strategy, how did you gain your Science VC? Buying 3 spaceport with faith

- How many cities did you take with military?3 from Germany
    - How many Dark Ages and/or Golden Ages did you have? Did you have a strategy?all golden
    - What effect did Loyalty have on your settling or conquering? How did you mitigate its effects? no
    - Any surprises you ran into, how did you deal with it?no
    - Did you enjoy your game?very much thanks

Attached Files:

10. tarafran

tarafran Warlord

Won't let me upload the pix ???

11. isopaha

isopaha Chieftain

SV 265. Surprisingly good time with such a slow start as I had. I think I was still at 3 cities at turn 100. Then my war against Sumeria proved successful and I took all his cities except one useless island city. Germany had started his usual routine of CS harassing and captured one of the scientific CS and almost the second one. I had to save them and in the process took all but the capital of Germany, which was the only city with walls and otherwise in a good defense position.

Quite a fun game with such a useless civ as Georgia. Did not manage to get a religion and was planning on building the UB, but seemed like the right time just did not come. UU is quite good actually and it was my most used unit in the wars. I was allied it the Aussies most of the game. India had a ridiculously strong army late game, about 5 times my army score.

Attached Files:

12. kcd_swede

kcd_swede Jag är Viking!½ GOTM Staff

SV turn 284, score 1744
    Settled 12, which includes Relig Settlements settler and two or three captured german settlers. Captured 23 or so.
    Took over most of Germany after they attacked CS's - wanted to try protectorate war. Nothing amazing, really. Ended up keeping rather than liberating the CS's. Then took all of Australia... just because they had no defense and my army was bored. I took over all of Sweden, because they declared war on me. Everyone else was pretty much my allies most of the time. Not sure what I'd need to do to knock 100t off my finish, but under 300t is still ok for me.

Attached Files:

13. Vlad Dracula

Vlad Dracula Warlord

Loss to Kongo SV T320/321 score 1322
    How many cities did you settle, or capture? Settled 10 captured 4 from Germany and one from free cities.I also loyalty flipped a German city.
    - What did you prioritize for research and policies? Military stuff in the early game because of Freddy then SV stuff.
    - What did you build for an Army and Navy and how did it change? The DOW by Freddy had me with 5 or so warriors and three archers at the end.Those were all upgraded as the game went on.War with Kongo added a bit of a navy and two bombers and a fighter.
    - Did you use your UU/UB? Were they useful? I did not.
    - What was your most useful unit? Builders for district charges.
    - Was diplomacy useful? How? Yes I traded all game with Australia and Sumeria.I had alliances with both as well.
    - Were City-States helpful? Did any other civ give you a hard time about city-states? They were.I managed to build Kilwa and keep Hattusa,Fez,Nanmadol,Mohenjo Daro and Brussels which I got while building Kilwa
    - What was your strategy, how did you gain your Science VC? I used faith to buy space ports with Moksha and Kilwa for the bonus and Royal society for builder charges.The problem was that Kongo had taken all of Sweden and had more than double my science and culture output along with a huge army.I had to launch the earth satellite to send spies in because I only had one coastal city and naval exploration was hampered by barbs.So by the time I discovered rocketry Kongo had already landed on the moon.However,when he launched exoplanet mission he never built any laser stations and I had my ship at ten light years when he finally hit fifty.The early war with Germany and forgetting that the stations were at the end of the tech tree cost me the game.
    - How many cities did you take with military? Five.
    - How many Dark Ages and/or Golden Ages did you have? Did you have a strategy? Normal,normal,golden,dark,heroic,golden,golden
    - What effect did Loyalty have on your settling or conquering? How did you mitigate its effects?I didn't settle where it would be an issue.
    - Any surprises you ran into, how did you deal with it?The early loss of my capital.Reconquered it eventually.In the meantime my second city became my capital and Pingala city with Oracle and temple of Artemeis.
    - Did you enjoy your game? Yes.

Attached Files:

14. WLanky13

WLanky13 Chieftain

SV Turn 293

This was my first GOTM of any kind and I think I did pretty well although I made some mistakes. :cool:
    Settled 8 flipped 1 with loyalty.
    Prioritized Education, then beelined Scientific Theory, Chemistry, and Rocketry.
    Built one warrior early for scouting and then a few khevsurs to free Hattusa after Freddy took it. Built 3 mech infs in the late game just in case. Never built a navy.
    Used the UU to free Hattusa and for the era score bonus.
    The builder
    Traded gold per turn for amenities to keep my cities happy.
    Was suzerain of Hattusa and Fez for most of the game until I met Geneva and put all my envoys on it to get the juicy 15% science bonus. Freddy attacked and took Hattusa so I declared an emergency and freed it with "help" from Gilgamesh.
    Built campuses in all of my cities and prioritized techs that gave access to building with science bonuses. Beelined techs in the end for the SV projects.
    Only freed Hattusa with military.
    One golden age in the Industrial Era, the rest were normal. Avoid dark ages at all costs.
    Flipped one city with loyalty from John Curtin during my golden age while he was in a dark age. Other than that loyalty had no affect.
    No real surprises.
    Yes, it was fun to play as Tamar, but her abilities were kind of useless.

Attached Files:

leif erikson likes this.
  15. TheFinalChiTown

TheFinalChiTown Chieftain

T193 SV

Props to @DanQuayle. You, sir, are a magician.

Settled 10. Two were from captured settlers. Captured all of Australia, Sumeria, Hungary, and India.
    I tried to use the district discount method, so most of my research was set up around avoiding certain district techs until the right time.
    Levied a ton of units throughout the entire game. Made easy through the Foreign Ministry.
    I did not.
    Probably my land melee units. They did the most pillaging.
    No, diplomacy failed ha. I was denounced most of the game.
    Nan Madol was fantastic with the capital on the lake. I wanted to suz Rapa Nui so I could build Moai, but India kept stealing it.
    Nothing too specific. Once I got all my discounted districts I just tried to build as many campuses as possible.
    All Golden, all Monumentality except for Heartbeat of Steam right at the end.
    This was interesting. I didn't have enough loyalty to hold cities and my levied units weren't powerful enough to steamroll. So, I adopted a capture, repair tiles, rebel, then pillage strategy. Not sure if we consider it an exploit, but it sure did raise a ton of gold and faith for me. It also constantly refreshed the Warlord's Throne production bonus.
    Choral Music was taken! I suppose this is what I get for playing this game after the update. I've never had it taken by another civ before. If this is really a shift in the AI, like the patch notes say, then we're going to need some new religious strats.
    I took Jesuit Education instead. It wasn't very useful since I was spending most of my faith on builders.
    Also, set up a nice Mausoleum city only to find out it wasn't in the game... maybe a DLC wasn't included?
    I did. It was a fun/interesting challenge because Georgia played pretty much like a vanilla civ. The repair/rebel/pillage strategy was a little tedious so, despite its effectiveness, I'll try to avoid it in the future.
    Regrets: Wish I had build Kilwa sooner. Wish I hadn't missed Isaac Newton.
    Spoiler :
    Screenshot (35).png

Attached Files:

16. Spass

Spass Chieftain

T289 SV
    First regular gotm for me after playing a few older ones after the deadline
    settled 12 and captured only Mainz
    focused on Heurekas and city state missions - tried to balance faith and science
    small navy and up to date army - but the latter was not strong enough for attack
    build Tsikhes and all my cities for faith and later science - defence was never an issue
    builder and apostle
    I had huge advantage in diplomatic favor - but with little effect
    Yes. No - double envoys from UA allowed to be suzerain in all CS for the last 80 turns or so
    Religion first and later science. I enjoyed winning a religious war against a strong australian theocracy and could probably have won a religious victory much faster after that. Instead switched to science as planned.
    only one german city and probably Germany was too weak after that. Still had 3 or 4 protectorate wars against Germany.
    only golden with the first two religious.
    little effect
    I was 8-10 techs ahead of Kongo by turn 150 but still could not capture his undefended coastal city (strength 79 without walls!) with musketeers and frigates (my bombards arrived too late for safe landing - his knights had arrived in time. After that I expected that Kongo would win by culture or even force - he destroyed Sweden and captured cities from India, Hungary and even Australia - all were my allies.
    Yes a lot! 20200527223241_1.jpg 20200527223543_1.jpg

Attached Files:

17. tarafran

tarafran Warlord

@DanQuayle impresive as usual :)
    I'm trying to replay the game to sharpen my science victory skills but surprise Choral Music was also taken with the new patch so i picked up the +1 hammer .

18. nufro

nufro Chieftain

T 257 SV

Attached Files:

19. leif erikson

leif erikson Game of the Month Fanatic Administrator Supporter GOTM Staff

This game is closed for submissions as time has run out.

You may continue to post here and attach saves if you wish.