1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

6otM88 After Action

Discussion in 'Civ6 - Game Of The Month' started by leif erikson, Jun 3, 2020.

1. leif erikson

leif erikson Game of the Month Fanatic Administrator Supporter GOTM Staff

Welcome to the 6otM88 After Actions Report thread. In this thread you can post the results of your game. Please state victory date and score (preferably in the post title), as recorded in the Hall of Fame, and the most important: your path to glory!

STOP - Please do not continue reading this thread until you have completed and submitted your game.

Please attached your victory save to your post.

- How many cities did you settle, or capture?
    - What did you prioritize for research and policies?
    - What did you build for an Army and Navy and how did it change?
    - Did you use your UU/UB? Were they useful?
    - What was your most useful unit?
    - Was diplomacy useful? How?
    - Were City-States helpful? Did any other civ give you a hard time about city-states?
    - What was your strategy, how did you gain your Science VC?
    - How many cities did you take with military?
    - How many Dark Ages and/or Golden Ages did you have? Did you have a strategy?
    - What effect did Loyalty have on your settling or conquering? How did you mitigate its effects?
    - Any surprises you ran into, how did you deal with it?
    - Did you enjoy your game?

Please use spoiler tags for any surprise details you'd like kept hidden. Thanks.

Players are encouraged to provide feedback on the game. Some players like to replay the game, and although we will not record the results from a replay, you can still post your new experiences (please state if the game is a replay). Please refrain from posting videos until the deadline for submission is over.

Knightfall likes this.
  2. Monthar

Monthar Deity

Science Victory turn 284 score 1365

I got a little distracted with the forest fires and building things I didn't really need. I tried to beeline to conservation so I could plant lots of forest to burn. By the time I got that there I was having a coal shortage and started spamming solar panels for power instead of just sending out settlers.However, I was trying to stick with just the core cities.

By the time I thought about running campus projects I was already way behind where I needed to be for a decent finish time.

The game was completely peaceful for me. In fact I was friends with everyone for most of the game, once I met them that is. I did manage to culture flip a few of China's cities, in part with help from a max promotion spy that had faster missions, no time to establish, and license to kill promotion.
    Spoiler Screenshots of my empire :
    20200604113627_1.jpg 20200604113636_1.jpg

Attached Files:

3. elephantsidread

elephantsidread Chieftain

Science victory at turn 289.
    • Really did not plan districts all that well in the first few cities - Maya's unique abilities through me off. I was still settling on rivers instinctively, possibly at the expense of better locations. I got the hang of it later.
    • I did get a soothsayer unit in the midgame, I used it to flood my damned rivers and increase yields and sacrificed a few knights to 'appease the gods'. I don't think the soothsayers are all that useful offensively though, or if they are, chances are it won't be very targeted.
    • The original plan was to just settle within 6 tiles of the capital, however I picked up a number of 'wandering' barbarian settlers and a Chinese city flipped from loyalty. Later in the game, strategic resources also played a role in some settlements. In the end I had a much larger empire than I planned.
    • China was taken out early by Egypt, but there wasn't many other notable wars between the AI.
    • I was very envious of Indonesia's lands, really like empires that run down a coast.
    • I built a couple of theatre squares and holy sites, but prioritised observatory in every city to push science.
    • I managed to chain golden ages from the classical all the way through the game. Though it was very close in a couple of eras.
    • Some key wonders built were the Pyramids, Colosseum, Kilwa Kisiwani - Kilwa was great because I ended up suzerain of at least two economic and two scientific city states which boosted things.
    • This was a very peaceful game, but for a short war where Sweden and Mongolia declared on me. The only other war started late game as a result of an incident during nuclear testing in the Arctic Ocean.
    • In the late game I made use of Liang's governor ability against disasters in the city I had chose for the spaceport.
    • Didn't reach comet bombardment stage before the victory.
    • I've posted some of the highlights below:
    Screenshots:
    1. Diplomatic mission over the Cimmerian Isthmus to the new world
    2. Striking oil in the Tabernas Desert
    3. Nuclear Testing in the Arctic

Spoiler :
    2.png 3.png 6.png

4. monikernemo

monikernemo Chieftain

284 SV

- How many cities did you settle, or capture?
    10 Cities, razed one china city and captured 2 china cities for the lulz

- What did you prioritize for research and policies?
    Try to go for research labs to take advantage of % - based bonus. Focused on Globalisation civic to get high science late game.

- What did you build for an Army and Navy and how did it change?
    Not many units, mainly to use as sacrifice for the volcanos

- Did you use your UU/UB? Were they useful?
    UU very useful for attack barbs and early cities in the early game. Didnt get amazing adjacency bonuses for observatory. I think mayans can use a slight buff here.

- What was your most useful unit?
    Builders!

- Were City-States helpful? Did any other civ give you a hard time about city-states?
    Yes, Kilwa gave massive boosts to gold and science, though cant seem to see any industrial city states.
    Being the Suzerain of Zanzibar meant that I could sell my luxuries freely early on.

- What was your strategy, how did you gain your Science VC?
    Realised that culture is a key aspect of science victory (to unlock International Space Station card) so focused on some early wonder building and first building was often a monument
    Classical Republic into Autocracy to get the essential early wonders out - primarily Pyramid, Oracle, Kilwa and Mausoleum. Colosseum for juicy culture bonus.
    Midgame made a priority to get as many universities and industrial zones as i could. Made sure cities were productive enough to build Oxford, Ruhr and Big Ben.
    Also built Bolshoi, Broadway for civics boost.

Govenors wise - At the start had Magnus with provision and Pingala with Connoiseur and Grants. Researcher is really quite wasteful since Science is not really a limiting factor. Amani to maintain suzerainity over Zanzibar.
    Saved some promotions for Reyna with district purchase ability so I could immediately purchase spaceports. Afterwards pumped remaining promotions to get Magnus with Vertical Integration.

- How many cities did you take with military?
    2 of Chinas Cities, razed one of china's city because it blocked off one city that was 6 tiles away from the capital.
    - How many Dark Ages and/or Golden Ages did you have? Did you have a strategy?
    Golden Age throughout. not really.

Attached Files:

5. DanQuayle

DanQuayle Prince

"Peaceful SV" T213

I went a bit out of my comfort zone and tried to play the Maya "the way it's meant to be played" (or at least incentivized to)

Slow start
    I had a really slow start.
    First, I moved my settler away from the coast to get as many cities as possible in my cluster. I lost maybe 5-6 turns moving and scouting around.
    Second, Maya is slow by design needing to improve useless farms early on.
    Third, got barbarian horsemen swarming in. They annoyingly pillaged a few tiles, but were no match for my Hul'che.

Settling
    This is the first Maya game I was able to settle the theoretical 13 city-cluster with Maya. In my past games, there was always coast, mountains, lakes, cs, or whatever in the way. The huge map size choice may have helped in that regard. I however had to crush some plantations to do so and settle dangerously near a volcano. Although I crushed many plantations, I was still able to get at least one plantation in range per city and eventually manage to get +3 campi in all cities. EDIT: This setup allowed me to get 10 cities in range of the Colosseum.
    I also settled 2 other cities late game for aluminum and oil.

Annoyances
    To get this perfect cluster, I however had to work for it.
    I put "Peaceful SV" in between quotes, because although I did not keep any foreign cities, I had to raze a few ones.
    First to transgress "my" territory was Persia settling a city near the west volcano. I declared a formal war and razed it.
    Second was China, settling its second(!) city far away near Cahokia of which it was suzerain. The city quickly flipped to loyalty. I razed the free city.
    Third, much later a Chinese city "stole" third ring hill tiles from my spaceport city, an unforgivable transgression Too bad there is no casus belli for it. Razed it.
    On another note, spending more than 3/4 of the game researching +20% techs due to slow AI tech progress was kind of annoying too on a different level.

Major mistake
    I went for Machinery before Cartography with only one scientific city-state on the continent

World Congress
    As a byproduct of the Prince difficulty/Huge size combo, I was not able to "control" the congress when the 100% district production resolution came up. I could not overpower 11 Prince AIs voting for City center district.

AI
    AIs showed some pretty remarquable aggressiveness in my game: Eleanor completely wiped out Gandhi and Pericles left Kristina on one city.
    I don't usually play on Prince level, except for the occasional 6otM, but this was the first time where I saw a Prince AI send a spy to my territory. They sabotaged my spaceport. And it was quite early too, maybe in the T170s. Even allies sent spies to my spaceport later on.
    This is a very anecdotal observation, but AIs seemed to be better at sending envoys to city-states and focusing on one in particular. This may be related to the war climate in my game.

City-States
    Hattusa: First time I noticed this bug: I had a lumber mill improvement over uranium when I discovered it. So although I had an improvement over a strategic resource, I was not getting uranium per turn, but at the same time I also wasn't getting any uranium from Hattusa (probably because of the improvement?)
    Taruga: The suzerain bonus is not nearly as good as I originally thought. You need strategic resources improved in your city for it to work. Duplicate strategic resources in your city will not provide a bonus. Settling on a strategic will not provide a bonus. You will normally get 0%, 5% or 10% if your are lucky per city late game. Spacing out your cities more, you may be able to get 15% which would then be the same as Geneva when at peace!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 7, 2020
  6. lotrmith

lotrmith Prince

235 SV

Did not play the Soothsayer at all. Settled one SW of start position so I could squeeze one more city on the coast. Had 8 cities within range of capital, conquered Persia > China > Egypt > America. I paid far more attention to Aqueducts and Dams and IZs than I usually do because my experience testing Maya has shown abysmal production and I was also concerned about floods. This proved useful, but expensive production/chop-wise. I ended up with 4 spaceport cities, 1 chopping moon landing, and 2 chop + 2 royal worker to finish mars landing, swapped magnus over to Charleston to chop exoplanet, and finally over to the 4th city to chop projects with all 4 cities hardbuilding and royal builder charging projects too. Final space time was 13 light years per turn.

I would not play apocalypse again... having to chop everything in sight as Maya due to the housing malus (chopping rainforest can grow your pop beyond the housing limits at no penalty... as long as you have the food to support you get to keep the pop you chop in) as well as the poor production meant droughts galore, some lasting 10 turns. Also as Maya I just can't afford population loss due to fires because outside of chopping population in it takes so damn long for a city to grow. Also many cities just don't have the ability to get good campuses. It feels very restrictive, and expensive because you have to put down the plantations with builder charges and you can't settle on the luxuries cuz then you can't build plantations.

Also I was MIFFED to find out Mohenjo Daro does not work for Maya. Not sure if that's intentional or not. I got real excited when I discovered them and put in 3 envoys (with a bonus 1st) only to find out they were WASTED. Also Pericles as usual put forth great effort in hamstringing my suzerainty of Kumasi... trade route culture so strong but it kept bouncing on and off.

Attached Files:

7. Casualty of war

Casualty of war Warlord

Turn 266 Science Victory, 1694 Score. I could only get my production Spaceport city, my capital, up to about 180 Hammers per Turn. Plus double Robert Goddard, Laser Stations were still taking me two turns. Sigh.

I lost a 6 charge Builder to a volcano that suddenly got indigestion. Had a military assault get Haboobed. My Chichen Itza city, Uxmal not actually Chichen Itza, caught fire and since my people were working the jungle they burned. The worst was how often my plantations kept getting mangled, turning my Observatories into mere decorations.

I got all excited at the possibilities of Charles Darwin and Bermuda Triangle, barely hiding my disappointment as the Beagle got shot across the world. It's 5 hexes good, but not 7 hexes preposterous.

Waging war impacted my diplomatic favor into the basement, so I didn't get to play much of a factor in voting. That's quite the change with the new patch.

Spoiler :
    upload_2020-6-7_1-9-57.png

Attached Files:

8. Spass

Spass Chieftain

SV 276 score 1566

After turn 100 the game turned peaceful for me except the expected "surprise" war from Cyrus. From turn 150 I started to buy soothsayers, sacrificed a few units and experimented with fire in forests and rainforests. It proved to be tricky to balance the gains with the population loss after my cities had a certain size. My feeling was, that after winning "appease the gods" disasters came less frequently to my area - especially volcanic eruptions almost stopped after I was prepared and waiting for them. Maybe the effect is there even if you don`t believe in it?
    Because my science was often more than three times my culture this slowed down my science progress in the end. I started to pass on great scientists, that had no effect anymore - I have never done that before - and it was ok after late-building the great library because I received useful heurekas for them.
    I am happy to have finished this huge map but apocalypse will not be my favorite mode.

Spoiler :
    20200607131108_1.jpg.jpg

Attached Files:

9. DanQuayle

DanQuayle Prince

You need around 260 hammer per turn + one 7-charge builder to build one laser station per turn with Pingala Space Initiative / Synthetic Technocracy / Integrated Space Cell with no Future Tech and no Hong Kong

It's a 3-tile natural wonder.

10. Casualty of war

Casualty of war Warlord

The perimeter around the triangle counts too, according to the boost I got and Darwin's Wondersense. It's a shame it's too far out to sea to work, a bunch of 1 Food, 10 Science tiles. Like Krakatoa on steroids.

11. DanQuayle

DanQuayle Prince

Darwin highlights tiles adjacent to natural wonders.
    The Bermuda Triangle gives yield to adjacent tiles.
    If you search for Natural Wonder, it will highlight the three tiles of the triangle.
    And if you are still not convinced, mouse over The Bermuda Triangle on the map and the description will begin with this: "Three tile natural wonder." (I think its missing an hyphen, but whatever.)

12. lotrmith

lotrmith Prince

And if you step in it, you transport, so you really can only get a 2x Darwin activation bonus. Right?

13. DanQuayle

DanQuayle Prince

Yes

14. Casualty of war

Casualty of war Warlord

So does "adjacent" for Galileo and "adjacent" for Darwin mean different things? Someone who can see the code or tracks their Beaker Boosts better than I do can see for sure. My instinct is to trust DanQuayle, because he's far better at this game than me, but I really wish I had a save game queued up so I could experiment.

It's always bugged me that Galapagos Islands was one of the worst Natural Wonders you could use Darwin with. Does that make Chocolate Hills and Ubsunur Hollow the best?

15. lotrmith

lotrmith Prince

They mean the same thing. Darwin has the additional qualifier of "here or adjacent" so you also get credit for a passable natural wonder tile tile you might be standing on.

If you stand next to Chocolate Hills, you get 1x or 2x. If you stand on Chocolate Hills, you get 4x.

Last edited: Jun 8, 2020
  16. tarafran

tarafran Warlord

SV 240
    This game was a lot of fun , did not use the soothsayer but killed a few
    I conquered all of my continent and had so much fun with it I started on the other one and had to stop after the second Civ to start the Science victory.I used Athene for my second spaceport as it was still mostly underdeveloped with quarries and forest.
    Founded a religion for envoys demands but did not tried to expand it.
    Bought 3 spaceport with faith, main one in my cap.
    Barbs kept me on alerts the all game
    Very good Civ and again fun to play
    Thanks

Attached Files:

17. pahakuutti

pahakuutti Chieftain

SV 200

A slow start due to greedy build order while horsebarbs were roaming inside my borders. I tried to squeeze out the 2nd settler before building any troops. At some point, there were 4 barb camps in in vicinity of my borders. So, I changed to military mode and built 4 x Hul'che + 4 x horseman. Which eventually conquered closest neighbors (Persia, America, China and Jerusalem). Thus I got permanent -15 diplo favors / turn (so I couldn't abuse AI so much)

I found the blue city states on other continent way too late. I should have scouted the other continent a way sooner. Besides, scouting will always reward one. This time I found two barb settlers which I used to settle 2 space cities in the "new world" tundra. I'm glad that I went with 2 spaceports as one of them got pillaged by enemy spy.

Some random thoughts about the Maya:
    It's very slow and expensive to get mayan city up and running.
    Very quickly the builder cost gets out of hands as you need a lot of farms and plantations.
    You'll also need to invest to aqueducts to get the best out of rationalism.
    Well, at least the observatory is at half-price.

and apocalypse mode:
    What is more frustrating than your sim-cities being hit by disaster every now and then?

Spoiler :

Thanks for the game!

Attached Files:

18. Half Nelson

Half Nelson Ancient Mariner Supporter

Maya Science victory:- turn 260 (1264 points).

Settled 10 cities, captured 12 (3 from China, 5 from America, 4 from America-controlled Persia). Observatories everywhere with a Maya-related priority for aqueducts and an Apocalypse-related priority for dams. I gave up conquering when it reached the point that I could never again receive any Diplomatic Favour, despite having 2 alliances and 1 friend amongst the remaining AI. Was heading towards sub-250 turn victory but the tech for Mars acceleration projects came up last in the tree !!!!!!! I built 2 wonders (Pyramids, Oxford) and, for the first time ever IIRC, did not build any siege weapons or aircraft in a 6OTM game.

The Maya were hard work in the early game but growth did accelerate dramatically after basic infrastructure was in place. I still think settling next to rivers helps as the start bias seems to favour watermill-friendly bonus resources. Observatories are strong given the Mayan start bias but need flat land for early farms. The UU was not really tested in this game but looks handy. I found the amenity bonus with luxuries one of their strongest attributes and the 10% yield bonus for cities near the capital was noticeable as the game progressed (the 15% yield malus for other cities wasn’t so important in this game).

Apocalypse mode was a bit underwhelming in this game. I kept my infrastructure outside the volcano radius but did grab some excellent tile yields from highly volcanic soil. Flood frequency was not noticeably increased from normal game but effects were more obvious until dams were built. I never got to explore a meteor shower tile but the cursor didn’t suggest any hidden goodies (??) and no comets were seen.

Thanks for the game!

Attached Files:

19. kb27787

kb27787 Deity

lol I had no inclination to play this (very) bottom-tier civ (the map size also would have been hard on my slow computer) and the finish times posted make me believe that I was right about them. No sub-200 wins from our best players even on Prince where one could get away with murder.

Mohenjo not giving water housing for Maya is only the cherry on top. I'm surprised aqueducts work for them though as I would've thought it would use the same mechanism.

What an incredibly sucky civ. Especially if you need to waste builder charges on clearing stuff for farms. I'd love to see the finish times for those who were saying that Maya is strong. From what I've seen all the LP for deity Maya posted on Youtube were all painful struggles through and through.

lotrmith likes this.
  20. kcd_swede

kcd_swede Jag är Viking!½ GOTM Staff

SV t309, score 1379
    I played peacefully with a cluster around the capitol, and had annoyances with volcanos and such. China attacked me late, so I took it over. I should have done a normal military expansion and not worried about the penalty for being 6 tiles away - it would easily be made up with other bonuses like colonialism. I could have beaten 300t with a little more focus at the end game, but it gets kind of dull when the outcome is certain and the plan is to be friends. Not my favorite civ, for sure. But it did push me to a different play style so that was interesting, if not exciting. If I HAD to play it again, I'd only use the bonuses in the first few cities as a way to leverage a good old fashioned beat-down on the AI. Maybe at a higher difficulty level there is more action. At Prince? Meh.

Attached Files: