1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

6otM88 Opening Action

Discussion in 'Civ6 - Game Of The Month' started by leif erikson, Jun 3, 2020.

1. leif erikson

leif erikson Game of the Month Fanatic Administrator Supporter GOTM Staff

Welcome to the 6otM88 Opening Actions thread.

STOP - Please do not continue reading this thread until you have completed at least 80 to 100 turns in your game.

This thread is used to discuss the game once you've started playing through your first 100 turns. Apart from normal decency, the only posting restrictions are to please not post videos until the deadline is finished and to use the spoiler tags for screenshots. Here you can post questions related to the game and share your achievements/anger/frustration/victories while you play. Please remember that we are running a family friendly site, so express anger or frustration with this in mind. :)

Please use this thread to discuss your goals for the game and your opening moves through the first 100 turns. Anything after that should be posted in the After Actions thread once you have completed your game.

- How long did you search for a site for your first city? What criteria did you use?
    - Where did you settle your capital city? Your second city?
    - Did you make a plan for achieving a Science VC, what are the major steps you planned to take?
    - What did you research and which policies did you choose and why?
    - What was your build order?
    - Which Pantheon did you select and why? Did you get a Great Prophet?
    - How long did it take to find your neighbors? Were they hostile or friendly?
    - How soon did you build a District? Which ones did you prioritize?
    - Did you try to build any Wonders?
    - Did you emphasize expansion? How many cities have you built/captured in the first 100 turns?
    - How quickly did you get Trade Routes working, who did you trade with?
    - How did you play your governance cards, priorities?
    - Which Governors did you choose and why did you choose them?
    - What City-States did you meet and which ones did you cultivate to your side?
    - How were the Barbarians?
    - Any surprises?

Please use spoiler tags for any surprise details you'd like kept hidden. Thanks.

Spass and Knightfall like this.
  2. Monthar

Monthar Deity

I followed the plan exactly as I posted in the announcement thread and settled across the river next to the sugar. As of turn 100 I had 5 cities and the settler for the 6th was about to finish. Yes, the screenshot is turn 103.

I only chopped a little, because I plan to use Soothsayers to burn all the forest and jungle for the bonus yields. That also means when I chop later I get more out of the chops due to saving until later eras. For those who don't know, the bonus yields from forest fires are tied to the tile, not the forest/jungle, so chopping only removes the normal forest/jungle yield.

In my testing I've found that volcanoes do not add yields when a soothsayer triggers them. However, fires, sandstorms and floods (unless dammed) do add yields. I don't recommend the floods, because they only add food. Sandstorms don't add much food or production to the deserts. Fires, however tend to add a lot of food and production and can get more bang for the buck due to how they spread. Just keep in mind fires won't spread from forest to jungle or vice versa.

I went with the faith from volcanic soil pantheon and managed to get suzerain of a few city states and can build colossal heads for even more faith. I have 1 holy site and might add more just for the extra faith for Soothsayers, but don't really care about getting a religion.

In the screenshot the hex pins are marking the edges of the core city bonus. I do that to help with planning my city placement to get the most out of the UA.

Spoiler :
    20200603145814_1.jpg

3. Casualty of war

Casualty of war Warlord

Early scouting showed that exploiting the capital-proximity bonus was going to be difficult, unless I wanted to settle with a volcanic powderkeg under my feet or in a sandbox. Then China, immediately on meeting, sent a Trader to lay down a road for an invasion. Thanks for the Inspiration and two cities! I took 2/3rds of another Civ, with their last city falling to another so that they can shoulder the Grievances.

So I just looked for city sites with two or more nearby plantation resources to be able to drop saucy Observatories. Hypatia has helped them pay huge dividends.

I haven't practiced this mode yet, so I'm sure I've squandered Soothsayer opportunities. There was an Appease the Gods event that happened right after I spent all my Faith on a Builder, darn it.

This is first turn of the Medieval, and so far so good

Spoiler :
    upload_2020-6-3_22-3-16.png upload_2020-6-3_22-4-9.png

sethryclaus likes this.
  4. elephantsidread

elephantsidread Chieftain

I built the great bath in the capital early because I never get to build it on higher difficulties, although this definitely slowed me down.

Built the observatory first, naturally, but not great adjacency options. At turn 89 I had 3 cities down with 2 more imminent. Some nice fires and eruptions have created some great tiles in my northern city.

I got an early scout and first meets with Hattusa and Cahokia. For most of the early game I only came into contact with China, but they were really hamstrung by Barbarians and are already waning in this game.

Chopped out quite a few flatland forests in the capital with magnus to catchup after the great bath.

I had some serious barbarian problems before turn 50 with several barb camps finding me, though this helped with era score as I cleared them all and got a golden age for classical.

My plan is to play thematically within the six tile radius and just interfere with nearby wars to get pillage rewards. Carefully avoiding friendships until we see how the diplomatic scene develops (my favourite way to play).

Sadly not enough faith generation to really use soothsayers so far.

Spoiler :
    Turn 89.jpg

Last edited: Jun 4, 2020
    sethryclaus likes this.
  5. Spass

Spass Chieftain

Spoiler :
    20200603110621_1.jpg

I had tried Apocalypse twice (once with Maya) and was rather disappointed with the soothsayers and my way of playing the Maya. So it was nice to try again under GotM conditions and Prince level.
    I decided to play conventionally without using soothsayers. I settled in place, knowing the probable limitations because of coast and desert and planned to play peaceful. I was aiming for 7 cities, having all governers before promoting them, a religion and being suzerain in many CS.
    I ran into a horse barb camp having only 2 slingers and a warrior that I lost. In the end I survived without losing more units, but had to postpone promotions and upgrades of the slingers several times. Contact to Persia was peaceful but China settled too close so I attacked and got Changsa quickly (t60). Instead of stopping there I took Xian as well (t73). I noticed the -5 diplo penalty only several turns later and Xian is slow in everything. America and Indonesia denounced me, but no further harm.
    For districts I build observatory, government district (??) and holy site in capital - founding a religion late in t90
    With my first 30 diplo points I asked for aid after volcanic eruption and it failed by 4 to 1! Apart from that I still settle close to volcanoes and even rebuilt the farms on volcanic soil every 20 turns or so - it really pays off.
    After reading Monthar above (thanks for the good advice!) I will change my strategy and start a few forest fires - this will add some spice to the already interesting game!

Sorry, but I am still fumbling with the spoiler mode. Might have to edit the post. So I managed to spoiler part of the text, but not the attached screenshot - help is appreciated! (where to put the /spoiler)?

Last edited: Jun 4, 2020
    sethryclaus likes this.
  6. Monthar

Monthar Deity

Code:
    When you edit your post in the attached files section click the button to show the screenshot as a full image. 
    Next choose more options. 
    Now your text should show the [attach]screenshot name[/attach]. 
    Add the spoiler tags outside the attach tags like so [spoiler][attach]screenshot name[/attach][/spoiler]

7. Spass

Spass Chieftain

Thanks Monthar, I had to switch the editor as well to see the attached screenshot name but finally made it.

Is it possible to burn the same set of rainforest or forest tiles several times for additional amount of food and production?

8. Monthar

Monthar Deity

9. Casualty of war

Casualty of war Warlord

If you are playing Maya, don't chop your Bananas!

10. sethryclaus

sethryclaus Chieftain

lol, I didn't really understand the Apocalypse mode - I just thought Mayan would be cool for testing out district discount mechanics. Derp on my part.
    Now that I've read your posts, I'm guessing that you buy Soothsayers with faith? lol, FML

The district discount mechanic worked really well, essentially boiling down to being useful for the first 2 districts of a given type. It's a lot of districts to build early though and, IMHO, it's only worth it if you're putting down a pattern of IZs that gives 6+ adjacency bonus.
    Spoiler T1 City Plan :

It also means skipping a lot of techs and civics since the eligibility is based off the number of different district types you've researched as well and the number you've built (Victoria's signature has a proper guide to the mechanic).
    Spoiler Skipped District Techs :

By T50, I'd realised that my initial delight at having a perfect Petra next to the Dead Sea didn't work because there was no way to get housing so I conquered La Venta instead.
    Spoiler T50 Change of Plans :

At the start of the game I got a lucky relic and an early pantheon which I used to get a free settler using Religious Settlers.

However, farms really suck prior to Feudalism and using builder charges on farms meant not using them on plantations and hence no research from my Observatories. It was very bad.

Additionally, I later discovered that Aqueducts give Mayans on rivers the full +4 housing as if they weren't on rivers. Given Aqueducts adjacency bonus for IZs and that this means you can combo them with Water Mills which provide food and you're almost getting a free granary if your city is on a river as well as setting up the most powerful district combo in the game.

If I were to play it again, I would tech Pottery -> Irrigation -> Writing -> Engineering (for aqueducts) and ignore Animal Husbandry (despite the unique archer).

I would use my first builder for farm -> plantation -> plantation so that my first Observatory had an adjacency bonus.

I would also put Liang in my capitol and get the Fertility Rites pantheon for the free 4-charge builder and 10% growth. This can be used to get the normal builder eurekas and any additional plantations.

I would gift (not trade) the luxuries to my neighbours to get early friendship, offsetting my lack of military. The gold from the plantations can purchase slingers and upgrade them to archers after aqueducts.

The one thing I didn't get wrong is my prediction that the Mayan start position bias would be great for Temple of Artemis. This thing is a beast for Mayans ensuring ecstatic until 10 pop cities or so with a total bonus including the Mayan capitol radius of 20% growth and 20% to all yields. Fertility Rites would've upped the growth to 30% total.

I highly recommend re-rolling your start position for a camp since Mayan Artemis is so spicy :)

Colosseum is definitely part of the plan for similar reasons.

Spoiler T100 Finally off to the races :

At the end of the day, it worked out halfway alright and when I figured out the Mayans and they launched properly, the pop in my cities took off like a rocket. Until that point I felt hamstrung by having built farms.

Juggling Liang for her district building bonus was also a new experience for me. All in all a totally new play style, for me at least.

I'm not going to finish this game but I am going to play with the map settings and try a Mayan tall-civ on deity.

Good luck all.

Uberfrog likes this.