6otM89 After Action

leif erikson

Game of the Month Fanatic
Administrator
GOTM Staff
Supporter
Welcome to the 6otM89 After Actions Report thread. In this thread you can post the results of your game. Please state victory date and score (preferably in the post title), as recorded in the Hall of Fame, and the most important: your path to glory!

STOP - Please do not continue reading this thread until you have completed and submitted your game.

Please attached your victory save to your post.

- How many cities did you settle, or capture?
- What did you prioritize for research and policies?
- What did you build for an Army and Navy and how did it change?
- Did you use your UU/UB? Were they useful?
- What was your most useful unit?
- Was diplomacy useful? How?
- Were City-States helpful? Did any other civ give you a hard time about city-states?
- What was your strategy, how did you gain your Domination VC?
- How many cities did you take with military?
- How many Dark Ages and/or Golden Ages did you have? Did you have a strategy?
- What effect did Loyalty have on your settling or conquering? How did you mitigate its effects?
- Any surprises you ran into, how did you deal with it?
- Did you enjoy your game?

Please use spoiler tags for any surprise details you'd like kept hidden. Thanks.

Players are encouraged to provide feedback on the game. Some players like to replay the game, and although we will not record the results from a replay, you can still post your new experiences (please state if the game is a replay). Please refrain from posting videos until the deadline for submission is over.

DomV T94

- How many cities did you settle
Settled 2 extra cities near horses

- What was your strategy?
Took the City Patron Goddess Pantheon, built 2 Encampments (0.75), 1 discounted Gov Plaza, 2 discounted Campi, many discounted CH
I think it still would have been better to take a culture pantheon. My culture was lagging all early game before I became suzerain of Rapa Nui.

Comandante General! 5-move Catapults are something else!

- Were City-States helpful?
Rapa Nui: most powerful city state in the game!
Actually, natural disaster at level 4 balances it (just a little bit) since your moais get often wiped out by volcanic explosions

- Any surprises you ran into?
Seondeok had Machu Picchu 99% done so I waited to take over her city, but she built a Crossbowman instead! Good!
Kristina got torched by barbarians! Two cities razed and her capital down to zero health at some point. I wiped out her civilization with one horseman!

Attachments

• SIMÓN BOLÍVAR 94 550 BC.Civ6Save
    1.6 MB · Views: 210
  • Civ6Screen0000.jpg
    Civ6Screen0000.jpg
    532.3 KB · Views: 352
Last edited:
Turn 114 Domination Victory. Gran Colombia is preposterous, for any victory but especially Domination. The only thing that slowed me down was scarce strategics, except for those early Horses.

I did get to use a Soothsayer to trigger the volcano next to Washington twice and chew up the army that Teddy sent to reclaim the city. That was fun. Having the Bank of Sweden in the game as my declared friend almost the entire game was pretty helpful too. Teddy and I were Friends until we weren't also.

Golden Monumentality throughout, which helped me hold onto my conquests in the Medieval because half the world went Dark. 5 move Builders are the best Scouts ever.

I built Pyramids, Terracotta Army and Colosseum, and captured a bunch more. Most weren't getting built because of how disruptive all this war was. Machu Picchu still wasn't done!

Thank you kindly for the game.

Spoiler :
upload_2020-6-17_8-31-3.png

Attachments

• SIMÓN BOLÍVAR 114 50 BC.Civ6Save
    1.7 MB · Views: 182
Domination Victory T89*

*I put an asterisk because one turn my finger slipped and I clicked on Autocracy instead of Oligarchy at the very start of the turn. I re-started since it was a total misclick and not a bad decision / forgetfulness, but I understand if this disquailifies my time.

Damn, Gran Colombia is overpowered! This felt like Settler difficulty due to the broken combat bonuses.

Ealry Game: Settled in place and went Slinger/Builder/Settler. I almost never open with a Slinger but I really wanted the Archery boost ASAP so as not to delay HBR. Turned out my science was so slow this was not necessary, but the Slinger did at least get the boost and was a useful explorer. Warrior and Slinger met Hunza and Amargh in time for free envoys, and Antananarivo walked up to my borders quickly and gave a third free envoy as well.

I had been working the Dye and started with God King, so with the Amargh envoy as well I was able to score Religious Settlements (AI seems to strongly prefer it post-patch). The free Settler went south towards the Horses and ended up settling right on top of them on T23 (did not have a Builder handy to hook them up and wanted to start accumulating them right away). My second Settler planted a city on T27 on top of the Olives near the Horses to the north (would have went here first, but had not defogged the Horses tile until after the Religious Settlements Settler was already marching south).

Spoiler :

steal.jpeg

Took a gamble on T13 and declared on Korea T13 to steal an unguarded Builder with my starting Warrior. He managed to escape to my third city spot.

The biggest event of the opening was a Meteor Shower, which went pretty terribly for me. I saw it happen on T17 in the fog up north, and sent my starting Warrior there. Sadly the Warrior was killed by barbs, having been wounded in the Builder stealing raid. So, I bought a Scout with gold in the capital figuring I could sneak up to the site. I almost rage quit when the Scout crossed a river, revealed two barbs, and was killed as well… I finally managed to get the free Chariot with a levied Warrior from Hunza on T49 but by then it was too late to have helped in my early wars.

The rest of the first 40 turns was mostly pumping out Warriors and waiting patiently for the first Comandante General. First Governor Title went to send Amani to Yerevan and Mysticism envoy also gave me Suzerain of Antananarivo as well. Second Title to Magnus, and the rest spread out to additional Governors mostly to handle Loyalty rather than use their abilities. Sweden was buying DF for 21g each so this was incredibly useful. I only bothered with a handful of non-military builds: three Monuments, a +3 Holy Site in the capital for Era Score and to get two quest envoys, Government Plaza and Warlord's Throne in third city, and an Encampment in the capital to run projects for Great Generals.

Monumnetality Golden Age on T46, one turn before I completed PP and HBR (I waited a few turns for the era to change and lower cost by 20%). A few chops / purchases and my Horseman army supported by levied Warriors started the conquest....

Nubia:

This was my favortie battle. Nubia had tons of troops, but luckily for me they moved a good part of their army east for a war against USA. I positioned 7 Warriors and 1 Scout in a circle around their captial. Just as my first Comandante General (Montilla) arrived, two Pitati Archers moved out of range and I launched the attack. It was a close fight because each Warrior did <20 damage and lost about half their HP on the first attack, but 10 weak attacks in two turns was enough to capture the capital on T54.

It was actually more challenging to hold the city than take it. Most of my troops were shot down by Pitati Archers, but I was able to establish Victor and use two Builders to chop Ancient Walls and an Encampment and fight back the waves of Nubian troops. The city was also in danger of loyalty flipping but thankfully there were two marshes and three rainforests to clear for more population.

Spoiler :

nubia.jpeg

The siege of Meroe. Crucially, those forests shielded my units from two of the Pitati Archers the first turn of the war. If two Warriors got shot down, I would have certainly failed to take the city.

Korea and Australia:

Attacked Korea with two Horsemen, one Chariot and four levied Warriors on T53. The city fell two turns later, allowing me to chop another Horseman and keep rolling west, quickly knocking out the capital on T59. The troops from the Korea campaign rushed down the coast, sped up by Comandante General (teleported from Meroe to Korea capital after capture) + a normal Great General. Horsemen with 7 movement points and +10CP are prettty gross. Even though the Australian capital had walls, the Horsemen just crushed it in three turns (captured T68) . The capital was conveniently the closest city and had a ton of pop, so I was able to ignore the rest of Australia.

Kongo and Cree

Attacked an outlying Kongo city with one Horseman and three levied Warriors on T52. Another Horseman joined in and my troops captured the capital by T63. The veterans of the Kongo war, joined by four Archers and two Chariots my core cities trained, invaded the Cree on T71. They had walls and Encampments, so this war was slow even though the outcome was never in doubt. I finally took the capital on T85.

Spoiler :

archer fest.jpeg

Comandante General boosted Archers are great for gridning down city walls.

United States:

They were the second toughest nut to crack. Completely forgot about Teddy's home continent +5 combat bonus, which meant my initial attack on T46 with levied Warriors and Archers failed. My second effort was more successful and relied entirely on levied troops. I levied Antananarivo’s Crossbow/Catapult/Sword army on T71 and slowly marched them east through Nubia. Then, on T76 I took the biggest gamble of the game, spending two stored envoys and 660g (my whole treasure) to levy Valetta. Teddy had just build Apadana, so I feared he had 2 envoys stored but it looks like he actually used them on Yerevan.

Spoiler :

early levy.jpeg

A mass of levied troops heading south and east. The southern force succeeded in taking Nubia's capital but the eastern force was rebuffed due to Teddy's +5 bonus.

Spoiler :

galley.jpeg

I was very concerned Teddy would cancel my second levy, but I lucked out in that Valetta had a Galley and their current quest was to train a Galley, so I got another insurance envoy immediately.

Spoiler :

USA.jpeg

The two levied armies hit the US capital and neighboring city at the same time and easily took them both down - 4 move catapults were really fun here.

Sweden:

Sweden was the hardest fight and last to fall. I initially invaded with four Horsemen, one Chariot, and 1 Warrior leftover from Australia, with Great General support. The captial had walls but was empty so I thought I could take it down, but as my troops moved in to siege the city they revealed an Encampment with an Archer inside on a fogged tile.

Spoiler :

encamp.jpeg

The sneaky Enampment that slowed my victory by a few turns. After losing three units, I retreated and waited for reinforcements.

Spare troops from the Cree campaign rushed west and I also levied Hong Kong on T85, though none of the levied troops made it to the battle in time to actually fight. I got Comandante General Urdanata on T86 and he was actually able to get to the front just in time so that I could sacrifice Montilla for the +4 bonus on the very last turn.

Spoiler :

Sweden.jpeg

Final turn, CG Montilla about to use retirement ability to grant +4 bonus to attacking districts to create some gross +14 units.

Summary:
I am fairly proud of this game, but the sub-100 finish really speaks more to how OP Gran Colombia is than any skill. The only thing I would have done differently would be to found another pair of cities in the midgame to claim more Horses and Iron, as there were many points when I ran out of resources to chop another Horse or upgrade another Sword and had to wait several turns for the next one. One thing I missed was that Disaster Intensity was set at 4. I probably should have settler closer to some of those volcanos, which were providing very juicy yields by the end of the game. I also wish I thought to use Soothsayers offensively - not sure it would have made a big difference but it would have been fun!

Attachments

• early levy.jpeg
    early levy.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 282
Last edited:
Domination Victory turn 198 score 2233

Yes I did it over 100 turns slower than the fast folks, but I really wanted to play with the UU. It didn't help that I had friendships and alliances for too long and got into builder mode again. Maybe I'll try again and see if I can stay focused on domination.

Attachments

• 6otM89 Dom Vic T198 S2233.Civ6Save
    2.3 MB · Views: 183
T97

Settled 1 between 2 horses to the north of cap. Spent all my gold to buy the horse tiles.

I got to choose pantheon quite late as I did not get the first meet bonus envoy for Armagh.
This was first time ever I took the builder pantheon, reasoning that I just burned all my gold to purchace horse tiles, but I don't have a builder. Well, at least the free builder helped a bit.

Built 2 campuses, gov plaza and 2 encampments, then troops.

- Were City-States helpful?
Suzeiraned Granada quite early and built few alcazars on premium spots. That boosted my culture and science nicely.

Few slingers/archers and a handful of horses to be upgraded into courses.
After I realized, I can have 5 movement catapults then spammed catapults.

Comandante general

This civ is broken. For a start it's amazing to have 5 movement catapults. But quite fast you realize that no ai is ever able to stop your fast moving catapults and light cav.
Also noticed that my catapults can fire when having only one movement point left. A bug? Or has this changed in some recent patch? The ability to move and shoot makes catapults from useless unit into beast.

Somehow I think that the AI struggles even more with apocalypse mode (maybe it's busy calculating which unit to sacrifice next) and it does seem to have more problems with barbs.

Spoiler :

Thanks for the record breaking dom map.

Attachments

• SIMÓN BOLÍVAR 97 475 BC.Civ6Save
    1.7 MB · Views: 178
T141 religious defeat.

This game featured many curse words. I was super stoked to get my first sub-100 domination victory. Took out Korea T60--everything was going swimmingly. On the other side of Korea's capital was a true barbarian horde (8 or 9 units). Managed to take out a couple of them and slip my army past. Captured Canberra T65. Was in the process of taking a third Aussie city (to secure loyalty) when $&#@ hit the fan...

Around T70 Kongo, Cree, and America declared a joint war against me. To make matters worse, they immediately began backdooring my capital. I have never had the AI do a backdoor! Was able to fend them off using my heavy chariot pre-builds, but my army was devastated afterwards. On top of that I lost a couple horsemen to a dust storm over Australia ha. My sub-100 dreams were dashed to pieces.

Went into autopilot mode after this. Amanitore got a RV after I started capturing her cities. We love this game, right?

Attachments

• GotM 89 Defeat.Civ6Save
    1.9 MB · Views: 182
Turn 118 Domination

Spoiler Final Screenshot :
118 Domination.jpg

Total cities were right around 36.
I didn't get a precise count.
Captured most of them.

Military
Swords, Horses and Knights

Warriors, Slingers, Chariots and Horses.

Upgraded them when possible.
I built a Galley for the era score in some pond.
I made use of buying Chariots when low Iron and upgrading them a turn or two later.

I captured the last Capital with the UU for some flavor.
I faith bought one for the era score and upgraded a few but they were unnecessary.

Knights I suppose.

Trade for gold and some joint wars
Relations broke down pretty quick.

- Were City-States helpful? Did any other civ give you a hard time about city-states?
As stated earlier that Rapa Nui is OP.
I got control of Granada and found the Alcazar just as useful as the Maoi.

Warmonger as fast as possible.

- How many cities did you take with military?
About 30 to 32.

Back to Back Golden as the game ended in Medieval.

- What effect did Loyalty have on your settling or conquering? How did you mitigate its effects?
None really and if a slight problem I put a Governor in the city.

That feeling you get when you pick Plantations instead of Pastures.
Lack of Culture because of poor scouting and wrong pantheon.
I muddled through somehow.

GOTM RULES!
Map and Civ made the game feel broken.
GG... GG!

Attachments

• SIMÓN BOLÍVAR 118 50 AD.Civ6Save
    1.8 MB · Views: 193
Last edited:
Domination Victory T111

Spoiler Details :

- How many cities did you settle, or capture? I settled 2 cities near horses (one from pantheon, the other one with a settler build), I captured 24 cities.

- What did you prioritize for research and policies? AH for horses vision, Horsemen, Coursiers, Cartography

- What did you build for an Army and Navy and how did it change? I built 4 archers, and something like 15 horses on early game.

- Did you use your UU/UB? Were they useful? I won before unlocking them.

- What was your most useful unit? Horses by far, and Coursiers in the last 20 turns.

- Was diplomacy useful? How? Nope

- Were City-States helpful? Did any other civ give you a hard time about city-states? Not really, a little help with gold and production towards units but nothing really game changing.

- What was your strategy, how did you gain your Domination VC? Build a lot of horses thanks to Magnus black marketeer and builder chops. Keep my horses alive, upgrade them and use Great Generals and Commandante Generals.

- How many cities did you take with military? 24, probably a little bit too much from Australia and Cree, I lost time on non capitals cities.

- How many Dark Ages and/or Golden Ages did you have? Did you have a strategy? All Golden Ages

- What effect did Loyalty have on your settling or conquering? How did you mitigate its effects? Loyaulty was good thanks to governors.

- Any surprises you ran into, how did you deal with it? Not really, the game was pretty clean.

- Did you enjoy your game? A lot. I splited my army a little bit too late, so it was not possible to make a sub 100 but it is still my best domination game by far. T111 is my new PB.

upload_2020-6-24_13-43-50.png

Attachments

• 6otM89 DV Bolivar T111.Civ6Save
    1.7 MB · Views: 163
  • 6otM89 DV Bolivar T111.Civ6Save
    1.7 MB · Views: 165
Domination Victory turn 134

- How many cities did you settle, or capture? - settled 3 and captured about 30
- What did you prioritize for research and policies? stayed with my usual routine
- What did you build for an Army and Navy and how did it change? I had three warriors and three archers by turn 44 when Kongo and Sweden (!) plotted a joint war against me. Since no swedish units showed up it was enough to defeat Kongo, but his two UU were rather tough. After capturing his capital on turn 70 I met Australia who had captured his northern cities. I made peace with Sweden and attacked Australia with swordmen and a siege tower (maybe first time I ever built one). Later fast catapults proved to be superior.
- Did you use your UU/UB? Were they useful? build both in the last 10 turns for curiosity only
- What was your most useful unit? swordmen, later catapults
- Was diplomacy useful? How? not really
- Were City-States helpful? Did any other civ give you a hard time about city-states? Although I had quite a few envoys it was difficult to be suzerain of more than two CS at a time. The other civs seemed to concentrate on certain CS so I ended up with Grenada and Valetta.
- What was your strategy, how did you gain your Domination VC? Since it was my first DV on Deity and my test with Gran Columbia on Emperor was successful but far from easy I decided to play safe and not fast. I finished the first four wars completely (leaving only one city for Kongo and Cree and deleting Australia and Nubia) and spent a few turns consolidating afterwards.
- How many cities did you take with military? A lot, but I gained two from Cree and one from Nubia by culture flip. Same with Kongos last city that I restored and had 300 diplo favor to sell which seemed a bit exploitive.
- How many Dark Ages and/or Golden Ages did you have? Did you have a strategy? Only golden. I wasted the first one trying to get a prophet (it usually works for me on emperor).
- What effect did Loyalty have on your settling or conquering? How did you mitigate its effects? no problems because I used governors and captured the other cities next to the capital.
- Any surprises you ran into, how did you deal with it? It was a bit of a surprise how badly prepared the other civs were, especially late in the game. Korea had no walls by turn 120 and only a few of their strong Hwachas. America seemed to have no units at all - ok, we were allied until turn 130.
- Did you enjoy your game? Yes I did! Thanks for the nice work!

Attachments

• SIMÓN BOLÍVAR 134 450 AD.Civ6Save
    1.8 MB · Views: 177
  • 20200625212159_1.jpg
    20200625212159_1.jpg
    738.6 KB · Views: 224
May I suggest to skip the "victory report" sidebar in the final screenshot most of us attach? It has little value apart from the victory proof but it blocks the banners with the scores of 4 or 5 civs. I do take the time to read all after game reports or stories carefully and enjoy the screenshots (maybe I should start attaching more myself?) but I don`t load all the save files to have a detailed investigation. And the ratio of scores between winner and the other civs often tells a lot about how close a game was.

Domination victory, turn 154 (1241 points; De Gaulle). Gran Columbia are so strong, you almost feel sorry for the AI Civs. Possibly my fastest domination victory in Civ6. After t100 I conquered Australia (all cities walled so used bombards) then back around for Sweden. I had a military alliance with Cree which lapsed at this point, enabling a simultaneous DoW on Cree and Nubia, who had innumerable obsolete units blocking the path East. In the end I only captured the Nubian capital and 2 cities bordering America, then combined with my Cree-conquering second army for a final, artillery-supported push to Washington.

The Gran Columbian movement attributes are excellent for war, exploration and even building. The Lanero is a solid UU and I liked the Hacienda as a handy gold source, although this came rather late in the day for this game.

As in the previous 6oTM, I found Apocalypse mode less than earth-shattering. I guess it might ramp up as climate effects increase in later stages of science or culture games.

An extremely enjoyable romp:- many thanks for the game!!

Attachments

• Screenshot (21).png
    Screenshot (21).png
    3.7 MB · Views: 223
  • SIMÓN BOLÍVAR 154 860 AD.Civ6Save
    1.8 MB · Views: 187
Turn 176 Domination Victory - personal best on Deity, although I made several mistakes and could've easily shaved 10+ turns off.

Settled 5 cities to get iron and horses. Spammed archers and horsemen. (In retrospect I should've built catapults and found niter sooner, so that I'd be ready for bombards)
First war was with Korea (turn 57 - 70ish) - cakewalk
Second war with Australia (turn 70 - 90ish) - cakewalk
After that I got declared on by Nubia and the Cree. Nubia had a sizable army but I pushed her back (lost a few lvl 0 horsemen and crossbows). It took about 60 turns (a timespan where I went from horsemen to llaneros) to conquer Meroe. Cree DoWed me and managed to march a few knights and swordsmen close to my then unwalled capital. Sacrificed a swordsman and horseman to push him back, and that completely crippled his army. Meanwhile, marched my Australia army from Melbourne (which later loyalty flipped to Kongo lmao) to conquer Sweden, who was super behind. Total cakewalk and I was able to use that army to conquer the Cree capital.

After conquering Nubia and the Cree, I foolishly attempted to conquer the Kongo from the east. I decimated the Kongolese army, but not without heavy losses on my side as well. His cities all had encampments and were super close to each other, plus he kept building field cannons. Loyalty was becoming a problem as well. My Cree conquests kept flipping independent so every 2 or 3 turns I had to reconquer the capital. Meanwhile, I couldn't make any headway on the Kongo because every city I conquered would flip within 5 turns, the damage from his cities was too great even for llaneros and bombard corps, and he didn't have a lot of farms to pillage for health. After about 20 turns of bashing my head, I gave up on conquering the Kongo from the east, scammed him out of around 70 gpt, and moved that army to conquer America.

America was so much easier - after dealing with all his rough rider spam with my llanero armies and bombard corps, I laid waste to Teddy and took him out easily. At this point, I had finished the grandmaster's chapel and faith purchased 3 artillery and created 2 llanero armies in "Australia" and used them to conquer the Kongo's capital from the west. A much easier task - I only had to go through 1 city (no idea why I didn't do this sooner). Conquered Washington and Kongo - game over.

Research - emphasized getting light cav units (horseback riding, castles, military science), and bombards. Eventually rushed for artillery and oil.
Policies - first rushed early empire, then political philosophy, went for feudalism and mercenaries. Went back for divine right and then rushed for nationalism and mobilization.

Early game - archers and horsemen
Mid game - coursers and crossbows
Late game - llaneros and bombards (artillery in the last 10 turns)

Llaneros were incredibly useful, but only after I had enough to make corps and armies. By the time I got them having them as individual units, although still strong, made them vulnerable to ranged attacks (especially in the Kongo). The +4 strength for each adjacent llanero allowed me to overcome Teddy's rough rider army spam. Haciendas were cool for era score I guess (I have a very one-track mind when I play civ - if I'm conquering people I couldn't care less about building up my cities. Most of my gold was from trade routes with mercantile city states, commercial hubs, and the Kongo peace deal.)

Recency bias would suggest observation balloons and artillery (allowed me to finish the game in the respectable amount of time), actual gametime would say horsemen and coursers for pillaging and conquering nearly all my cities.

Once I managed to get 60 diplo favor from settling too close to the Cree and Kongo and sold it off to Teddy and Kristina for all their gold. (I don't think it was an exploit since they had the gold, although it may be frowned upon - please let me know!) Other than that not really.

Cultural and mercantile city states were useful, I had Granada but it wasn't as useful. Had a few oversights which ended up not hurting me that much. For instance, I forgot to put Amani in Antananarivo, which was suzerained by the Cree. Ended up being up to flip the city with envoys. City states weren't dangerous to me otherwise.

Did not plan out my ages at all, which is something I should watch out for in future games.
Believe first two ages were normal (I'm writing this off of memory)
I had a medieval golden age (I had like 80/53 era score - def not ideal for golden age planning)
Renaissance was normal, Industrial was dark. I couldn't maintain loyalty very well because of that. In retrospect I would've had a golden renaissance if I was more proactive in eliminating Sweden, since that was totally possible.

In Cree land, I left a cuirassier and two field cannons to bombard the capital every few turns lmao
Kongo plans were scrapped because of loyalty. Problem was that I couldn't gather the momentum to conquer his very well defended cities in rough terrain. Honestly this game was more of a lesson on how not to deal with loyalty.
Loyalty wasn't a big problem for other civs, mostly because I was running through them.

No big surprises. Did manage to get a heavy chariot from a meteor strike, and that allowed me to push Korea earlier than I thought I would be able to.

Also think there's a glitch - noticed that mountains gave theatre squares adjacency?

Any game where you get to run over the AI is a good game. I think I was a bit too stressed over trying to finish the game quickly, to the point where I made bad decisions (i.e. war with Kongo). Fortunately I decided to bounce back rather than scrap the game. I played very differently from how I normally play - my usual strat is turtling, since I enjoy building up a ginormous industrial economy before overwhelming the AI. This time I actually rushed the AI and didn't stop to build up an economy. I guess that affected me, since I'm not the greatest at tactical combat (mostly bad at calculating risk - is it safe to move a unit there or should I heal, etc) and being super ahead of the AI completely nullifies that.

Gran Colombia is too good - running around with 5 movement siege units is just insane. Comandante generals are too good, llaneros synergize too well with Gran Colombia's abilities, etc.

Here's to more great GoTMs!

Attachments

• SIMÓN BOLÍVAR 176 1150 AD.Civ6Save
    2 MB · Views: 186
  • 20200627184207_1.jpg
    20200627184207_1.jpg
    676.3 KB · Views: 208
  • 20200627184205_1.jpg
    20200627184205_1.jpg
    731.7 KB · Views: 215
  • 20200627184154_1.jpg
    20200627184154_1.jpg
    745.7 KB · Views: 205
  • 20200627184152_1.jpg
    20200627184152_1.jpg
    824 KB · Views: 205
  • 20200627184149_1.jpg
    20200627184149_1.jpg
    795.8 KB · Views: 214
  • 20200627184144_1.jpg
    20200627184144_1.jpg
    805.1 KB · Views: 139
Domination Victory, Turn 76, 1000BC

Plan: Find horses and iron. Build 2d and maybe a 3d city on these. Find all capitals as quickly as possible. Get to Black Market and pump out horsemen and swordsmen with the CG+GG combo to go for the win. Convince others to join me in warfare whenever possible. Joint wars are amazing for clearing out AI civilization military units.

Cities:
1-Bogota
(SIP): Scout-6; Settler-16,17(Pantheon); Builder-19,25; Warrior-27; Slinger-29; Encampment-36; Builder-40; GovPlaza-44; Tile-45x3 (for chopping), Horses-46,47,47,49,49,51x3,54; Builder-48(faith), 53; etc.
19-Maracaibo (N): Monument-32; Trader-38; Encampment-55; etc.
20-Caracus (NW): Tiles-20,37,40; Monument-30; Warrior-33,36; Builder-41,46; Horsemen-50; Swordsman-55(gold); Encampment-56; Builder-57(faith); etc.
76- Finished with 22 cities: capital, 1 with production, 1 with Pantheon, 1 captured settler, 18 captured

Barbarians: Barbarian scout! appearing to my south on T5 distracted my warrior before he finished his northern loop, so he didn’t find the horses to the NE, hence I settled my 3d cities on neither horses nor iron (which I hadn’t discovered yet, but was hoping to get lucky on iron).
Science: AH-11, Mining-19, BW-27, Pottery-30, Irrigation-34, Archery-37, HBRiding-46, IW-54, etc.
Culture & Policies: 9-COL (Sur/UP), 22-FT (Dis/UP), 25-Craft(Agoge/UP), 30-EE,37-SW, 45-Pol Phil OL (Con/UP/DL/LS); 46-MilTrad (Man/CL/UP/Strat); etc. (also used Equestrian & Conscription)
Governors: Magnus-34,37,44 (Black Market); Amani-?

Note: I think HBRiding should have been done earlier; at worst should have skipped Pottery & Irrigation to get HBRiding closer to concurrent with State Workforce; then chop in Gov Plaza to get Black Market and horsemen out faster. That and finding the darn NE horses before settling my 2d and 3d cities would have been awesome.

Military: mostly horsemen and warriors->swordsmen; CG+GG combo is insane
Diplomacy: early delegation and give open borders; then mostly please join me in this war! Friends with America on T42
Trading: what, you’ll give me gold to join the war, even better!!
City States: Hunza-3, Antananarivo-5, Armagh-8; Valletta-54, Suz & Levy on 66; at end I was at war with 4 of them
Religion: Pantheon Religious Settlements - 17
Wonders: TerraCotta Army - 76

Warfare:
1st Army: Did a loop - war 50 Kongo (wanted the iron and did not want to face Ngao Mbeba), war 58 Sweden, war 66 Cree, war 72 Nubia. Started with horsemen and warriors; others added as created.
2d Army: War 54 Korea with horsemen, then split, mostly to join 1st Army at Nubia.
3d Army: War 71 Australia. As the only civilization with walls, I built swordsmen and battering ram in captured Kongo territory for this enemy.
4th Army: War 73 America. Upgrades of warriors->swordsmen from Valletta levy. Scout guarded sea route to ensure siege.

Overall (met/war/capital captured):
Kongo- 16/50/53
Sweden- 18/58/62 (only one eliminated)
Korea- 19/54/62
Nubia -22/72/73
Cree- 26/66/69
Australia- 32/71/72
America- 40/73/76 (note: friends on T42; only declared friendship made)

Attachments

• 6OTM 89 Turn 20.jpg
    6OTM 89 Turn 20.jpg
    293.2 KB · Views: 218
  • 6OTM 89 Turn 47, end of Ancient Era.jpg
    6OTM 89 Turn 47, end of Ancient Era.jpg
    354.1 KB · Views: 218
  • 6OTM 89 Turn 69, Australia.jpg
    6OTM 89 Turn 69, Australia.jpg
    339.5 KB · Views: 217
  • 6OTM 89 Turn 69, Cree and Nubia.jpg
    6OTM 89 Turn 69, Cree and Nubia.jpg
    342.4 KB · Views: 211
  • 6OTM 89 Turn 69, America.jpg
    6OTM 89 Turn 69, America.jpg
    274.8 KB · Views: 214
  • 6OTM 89 Turn 76 win.jpg
    6OTM 89 Turn 76 win.jpg
    364.8 KB · Views: 219
  • SIMÓN BOLÍVAR 76 1000 BC WIN.Civ6Save
    1.6 MB · Views: 192
@Eyswein , how the heck did you make a 3 turn Builder on Turn 19 after the 1, 2 population dip of Settlers on Turns 16 and 17? Was it purchased, then one hard built on turn 25? And how did you do a triple Horseman on Turn 51 in Bogata?

Crazy amazing. I like that Levy finish.

So GG & CG stack???!!! I didn't realize that. I used CG but retired any earned GG inmmediately for the bonus (free bombard etc).

Damn Eyswein, we’ll played. I’m especially impressed you managed this without even settling the Horses early. I went Amani instead of Black Market, looks like the latter was better. Thanks for the very detailed report!

Hopefully Fireaxis will see these times and tone Colombia down a bit. At the least CG and GG should not stack and even then it would be an incredibly strong Civ.

@Eyswein , how the heck did you make a 3 turn Builder on Turn 19 after the 1, 2 population dip of Settlers on Turns 16 and 17? Was it purchased, then one hard built on turn 25? And how did you do a triple Horseman on Turn 51 in Bogata?

Crazy amazing. I like that Levy finish.

For the builder, I think the scout was completed 2 turns prior size 2 population, so I started builder for 2 turns and then switched to settler when size 2, then back to finish builder (with any overflow from scout and settler). Will try a run through and update when I get a chance.

For the Horsemen I used combo of Magnus + chopping + maneuver; believe a single wood chop at the time was enough, so one from production entering turn and then two wood chops if I remember correctly. I generally try to set up chopping to not waste overflow, but love it if I can build a unit, even with waste, in a single chop.

On a side note, I also moved Magnus for chopping after Bogata was generally cleared; used him in Kongo capital to chop swordsmen army that took out Australia and eventually to Nubia capital so it wouldn't revolt before I could take out America. Earlier I would take enough of a civilization so the capital had positive loyalty.

Levy is a little scary (to me) on Deity. I had +1 envoy from TV on T3. Saved all envoys in the game until I decided on Valletta, then added governor so had 7 envoys total in Valletta. Probably overkill, but would hate to spend all those funds just to have it reversed.

DV turn 137
This is my first deity victory in civ VI, and I must say that Colombia if freaking OP. Senor bolivar needs a nerf.
If I (slacker and easily distracted into building everything) managed to get it done so fast then you know something is broken.

Founded capital in place...warr went north and west and first slinger went south and east. I met 3 CS + Korea when korean builder decided to grab goodie hut in front of my nose..Outraged, my warr captured the worker and brought him home safely. Got 1 settler from pantheon and chopped 1.
After that I founded 2 more cities north and south of capital. Out of fear of unpleseant deity neighbours (USofA, Congo; Amanitore) I build only military units/builders/encampments and neglected all other stuff.
I grabed 1 settler from usa and made peace asap, build 2 encamp and 1 holy site bit later for soothsayers.
Tried to burn some forests with sooths to slow down AI...not sure how much it helped.

Army 1 (3 archers, 2 warr) went for weakest link which was korea at that time. I levied 5 warrs and some archers from Hunza to help them out and they had little problems since Seodonk was getting her ass kicked by barbs.
Spoiler Korea dead :

Marching on army 1 ran into walled up Australia and Congo from north and since they had no siege weapons I decided to wait with northen invasion. I think I made a mistake there and lost at least 15 turns in the end.

Army 2 (4 horsemen/5 swordsman levied from brussels) went east in middle of Teddy vs Amanitore brawl and wiped out both of them rather quickly razeing several cities so I wouldn't have to bother with loyalty. During this march I upgraded to coursers and things got ridiculous after that...with comandate generals these guys are a tornado in the field. (also 6 movement musketman :p )
Spoiler USA dead :

Army 2 ran west to grab what it can before levied guys went home and so my horsy boys met with 3 xbows from my capital in middle of Cree teritory.
Huge fiesta was held and in drunked haze someone burned sweden almost to the ground.
Just before sweden incident I got enough envoys to suz Hong Kong (luckly )so when australia & kongo declared emergency on me they had something to break their army on before my boys got there.
Army 1 got backup from 3 bombards so they sacked Canberra an hurried south burning as they went.
Army 2 did the same going north and they met and finished the game on turn 135 with a bang and jungle party around Mbanza.
Spoiler Jungle boogie :

In conclusion: I am mostly satisfied with how I played this but have to confess I had lot of help from barbs and eruptions that were blowing all around the map like crazy. (Cree were burned all the time and even my capital had 5 or 6 eruptions)

Attachments

• Korea.jpg
    Korea.jpg
    380.6 KB · Views: 653
  • usa.jpg
    usa.jpg
    395.6 KB · Views: 631
  • kongo.jpg
    kongo.jpg
    386.2 KB · Views: 682
Last edited:
DV t296 score 2499

Slow start, settling too many cities (and rebuilding districts every other turn due to volcanos and floods). Under t300 is anyhow good for me. Would have been about 20t faster if the comets and asteroids of the apocalypse didn't keep seeking out my GDR's as if there were some alien intelligence behind them. BTW-I couldn't determine anything useful to do with soothsayers, any ideas anyone?

It does get tedious seeing comets and asteroids every turn. Maybe I should'nt wreck the environment so much (I was in Phase VII since about t200). I must remember: take down Mvembza early or he will start running away with tech. Most of my turns were due to Congo... all other AI fell easily.

Attachments

• BOLÍVAR t296 1850 AD sc2449.Civ6Save
    2.7 MB · Views: 184
Top Bottom