6otM90 AAR

Knowtalent

Emperor
GOTM Staff
Welcome to the 6otM 90 After Actions Report. In this thread you can post the results of your game. Please state victory date and score and the save choice (preferably in the post title), as recorded in the Hall of Fame, and the most important: your path to glory!

STOP - Please do not continue reading this thread until you have completed and submitted your game

Please attached your victory save to your post.

- How many cities did you settle?

- What did you prioritize for research and policies?

- Did you bother with Religion?

- How did you Crush your enimies?

- Were City-States helpful?

- Any surprises you ran into, how did you deal with it?

- Did you enjoy the game?

Please use spoiler tags for any surprise details you'd like kept hidden. Thanks.

Players are encouraged to provide feedback on the game. Some players like to replay the game, and although we will not record the results from a replay, you can still post your new experiences (please state if the game is a replay). Please refrain from posting videos until the deadline for submission is over.

I tried to get cute and build TOA while waiting for Horseback Riding. Got it built but got DOW from Genghis, Bobby and Lautaro within five turns of each other. Lost my 2nd city. Got it back with Varus but by then it was turn 70 and everyone had walls. Captured one Genghis city but hit a dark age and had no chance of keeping it. Two cities with nowhere to expand and no strategic resources. Was only a matter of time before I was murdered with crossbows. resigned around turn 80. It's only my 2nd GOTM but sometimes it's just not your day.

T141 DV, 971 score
Settled 4 cities total. Capital and two early cities, and about 2 turns before the end of the game I stole a settler from America, and plopped a city near their borders for upgrades.
By the end of it I had 4 Indian cities, 5 Mapuche cities (all of them), 5 Canadian cities, 4 Indonesian cities (all of them), 2 Mongolian cities, 6 Dutch cities (All of them. Strangely even by the medieval era their cities had 17 strength), 5 Polish cities, 2 Scottish cities, 1 Nubian city (capital), 1 Australian city (capital), 1 English city, and 2 American cities, for a grand total of 38 cities. I never capture city states (too much hassle), so none there.

Civics were the usual for Chandragupta. Beelined Military training, with a few stops when I could get a boost, and then went for mercenaries and merchant republic.
Research was also fairly standard, Horseback riding - Bronze working (for a USELESS encampment that couldn’t get me a general before Mongolia picked the classical 3 up, even with projects.) - Catapults - Coursers- Bombards - Cavalry, with a few stops along the way for various things

Didn’t bother with religion.

Army composition was light cavalry, Varus, and catapults. I also built a few knights, but they never made it to combat before the coursers finished the battle. I had 4 main armies, and I’ll name them by the first enemy they defeated. There existed the Mapuche army, the Canadian army, the Polish army, and the Mongolian army.
The Mapuche army was the first one I built, and they campaigned in Mapuche - Indonesia - Netherlands - Nubia - England (took the capital with two coursers while the rest took Meroe) - America. The Canadian army was the second one I built, and campaigned in Canada - Scotland - Australia. The Mongolian army was the third one I built, and was made of stragglers and new recruits, and was mainly composed of catapults and Varus, and needed to be reinforced by an Canadian army courser to survive Mongolia. They campaigned in Mongolia - America. The last one was the Polish army, born because most of my Mapuche cities were producing units too far away from my main campaigns, so I put those units together and destroyed Poland. They never did anything past Poland.

City states were a burden this game, with a lot of my Mapuche army being lost to Hattusa while pushing through the city state to get to America. I liberated Grenada for the little bit of unit production in capital, and built a few Alcazars.

No horses immediately nearby, so I started chopping horsemen out 10 turns after I normally would. The second surprise/setback was the Mapuche destroying my early archer force, and holding me back until I declared a territorial war on Canada. The third surprise was the Netherlands not having any walls, and having cities of 17 strength. This was in the medieval era, and my my coursers tore through them.
The fourth and worst surprise/setback was America. I had an idea of where they were, but I didn’t know how to get there. Through trial and error I realized that America was completely shielded by tough terrain, city states, England, and mountains. A lot of my forces hit mountain walls and thick jungle, and that set me back greatly. I also had no idea where their capital was, and I ended up spending some time going the wrong way. And finally, America was out of the way of all my armies. I tried forcing my Mongolian army through a northern gap in the mountains, but I met rivers and hill jungle everywhere. I ended up finding a passage to the south, straight to Washington. Similarly, my Mapuche army (now in Nubia) had to get to America through Hattusa and Buenos Aires, both at war with me. I took the second to last Capital, Canberra, on T128, but it took me 12 more turns to take Washington (T141 was spent recapturing a Meroe in rebellion). In the end, the thing that ended up delaying me the most was just the huge amount of land to travel.

I enjoyed the game very much, Mapuche (at first), Mongolia, and Scotland were challenging, and I thought I very well could lose a whole army, multiple times.

Turn 161 DomV, 1579 score. Figuring out my way past The Rockies to get America took forever and then Mr. 150 military strength suddenly has Cavalry everywhere.

Basically hit the Medieval Era and was at Territorial Expansion War with someone from then on out for the movement and combat strength bonus. I could have taken a 5th capital in the Medieval but I already had enough Era Score for a Golden Renaissance so Majapahit got to stick around for a few more turns. The Indonesians got their revenge; that army was completely out of position to keep conquering and took 10 turns just getting across the map to a place where they could be useful.

My closest neighbors were the toughest fight but by the end of the game I was fighting Crossbowmen with Artillery Corps. I only eliminated one civ, Scotland, and that was by Loyalty pressure.

Thank you kindly for the game.

Attachments

• CHANDRAGUPTA 161 1000 AD.Civ6Save
    2.9 MB · Views: 189
DomV T104

Settled 3rd city North near the horses.
I got DoW'd by Indonesia not too long after. She was already suzerain of Akkad which had a lot of warriors. Thankfully, Varus came online just in time.
I also got DoW'd by Lautaro not too long after (coincidentally when I became suzerain of Granada).
Both were at neutral attitude. It almost seemed like they "knew" they had to DoW me before I declared a war of territorial expansion on them.
After I declared a war of territorial expansion on Genghis, I stayed in that state for the remaining of the game. I purposefully left the conquered AIs on two cities just in case.
Indonesia was a bit of a pain to conquer early on with the narrow paths and the swarm of galleys.
Rough Terrain with Varus was also a bit of a pain early on before I triggered the movement bonus.
I only wiped out Indonesia to make it easier to become suzerain of Akkad (and incidentally passage to the West.)
Canada was my friend most the game as the world burned around him.

Strategy
Opened with 2 scouts. (Luckily got many capitals revealed by the AI on first meeting)
I went for a Maneuver/AH push with Varus in the ~T30s
1st army: Indonesia, Netherlands, Nubia
2nd army: Mapuche, Scottland, Canada
3rd army: Mongolia, America, England
Kandy/Valetta levy: Poland
Vilnius levy: Australia

Mistakes
Investing governor tiltes into Black Marketeer when I barely built any Light Cav/Melee
May still have been too conservative with army splitting.

Attachments

• CHANDRAGUPTA 104 300 BC.Civ6Save
    2.5 MB · Views: 146
  • Civ6Screen0000.jpg
    Civ6Screen0000.jpg
    516.4 KB · Views: 237
  • Civ6Screen0001.jpg
    Civ6Screen0001.jpg
    702.3 KB · Views: 254
Last edited:
DV106.png
DV 106
Opened with 2 scouts and 2 settlers 1 slinger.built encampment in 3 cities then spam Varu in cap and encampment project in other 2 to get the first 3 GG

First war was to liberate Granada from a rebellion then declared a territorial expansion war with Indonesia
1st army: Indonesia(TE war), Netherlands(TE war , Nubia (4 Varu and 1 archer+GG) Added 1 swordsman and siege tower as Nubia had walls
2nd : Mapuche(TE war), Poland then Australia with levies from Vilnus(4 Varu and 1 warrior+GG) warrior upgraded to swordsman to go to Poland ,chopped some knights to go toward Australia
3rd : America,England(TE war) (4 Varu 1 horseman +GG)
4th :Mongolia(4 Varu and 1 horseman) (TE war),Canada(4th GG)(TE war),Scottland(added catapult more Varus ,1 swordsman and siege tower and upgraded horsemen

I also stole an early settlers from Netherlands that settled a crap city close to England for later TE war
The armies where awesome with the +2 movement. I managed to stay on it till turn 102 .
I had a settler ready for the last few turn but was to impatient to wait the 3 turn to declare on my last victim Australia as my levied army was already at the border.
I felt the pain and lost a lots of units on the last few turn on Australia and Scotland caps.

Great game
Thanks

Attachments

• CHANDRAGUPTA 106 250 BCDV.Civ6Save
    2.5 MB · Views: 179
Last edited:
DV 193. Quite happy on sub 200 on such a huge map.

I took out capitals in this order Mapuche (total 4 cities), Mongolia (5 cities), Poland (4 cities), Netherlands (5 cities), Nubia (3 cities), Canada (4 cities), Australia (5 cities), Indonesia (1 city), Scotland (1 city), England (4 cities), USA (4 cities) -> so only 2 capitals 'sniped'. With most of the civs capital was not the last city taken, because the path to the next enemy lied behind other cities and perhaps in one case also due to loyalty. 4 armies worked most of the game and the tiny navy meant to take down just Indonesia worked perfect, as getting an army there would have taken ages. Most useful unit was bombard.

America was by far the toughest bit. I did early scouting to notice that entering his lands from the East would be impossible and from the South it would be a very long journey. Initially I thought some of my armies would eventually come from the West, but I was mistaken. I then stubbornly started the invasion from that narrow hole that is blocked my Cincinnati encampment. Chicago and another razed city were the first line of defense, which was easily broken. I then captured the encampment in 10+ turns with bombards. However, that was not the end of it, because even my toughest melee or cavalry troops would be shot to almost 0 health on the first turn, so getting any kind of siege near Cincinnati turned out impossible. Zeppelins saved me and I was able to churn out the defenses from the other side of the mountains.

Civ6Screen0022.jpg

The last screenshot shows quite nicely how enemies were taken down simultaneously in three different parts of the map, total distance about 70 tiles. You could also say Communism was the key to victory.

Civ6Screen0023.jpg

I was building a lot of units between approximately turns 150-170, the 'final reinforcements' to conquering armies. Should have made this 20 turns earlier to enable a faster victory probably.

Attachments

• CHANDRAGUPTA 193 1320 AD.Civ6Save
    3 MB · Views: 167
DV t283 score 3342

Took a lot of time to take over Mongolia. After that, I could keep lead in tech race and take over the world. There was also a bottleneck at Cree capitol back when there was some tech parity, so that took a while. Then things went quite easily. I think this game could have been very hard if the first assault failed. But if the first assault succeeds, its like a snowball rolling downhill. Note to self: before going to war, make sure I have overwhelming force.

Attachments

• CHAND t 283 1824 AD sc3342.Civ6Save
    3.7 MB · Views: 165
Domination Victrory. Turn 180, Score 2333.

- How many cities did you settle?

Founded 8, Conquered 65!!!!
- What did you prioritize for research and policies?
Elephants and Military Training early on, Iron working then Guns.
- Did you bother with Religion?
No, well yes, but no really. I picked up a prophet on like turn 100 or something, so I founded my religion. I only used holy stuff to spawn units (builders and then military units)
- How did you Crush your enimies?
Elephants led the charge into Mongolia and then into indonesia and dutch and just kept on going., Eventully those elephants became tank armies.
Mongolia was so tough to take out, but after I took Gengis walls began to appear everywhere, then I needed siege units to take down things, that slowed me a lot.
America was a major pain to get to, and then suddenly he had loads of units everywhere and everything upgraded.
Mapuche was really really tough as I was golden age all the way.
- Were City-States helpful?
Not really, I should have conquered more of them.
- Any surprises you ran into, how did you deal with it?
just how tough some of the opponents can be, after the last GoTM with Simon Boliviar having upgrades stop my turns was super frustrating.
- Did you enjoy the game?
Yes, Chandragupta is a beast. Elephants were a fun unit, that -5 on opponents is an excellent bonus. Making sure I was in perma terratorial wars for movement and combat was fun

Attachments

• AutoSave_0181.Civ6Save
    2.9 MB · Views: 130
t327 Domination 5022
How many cities did you settle? 12 several were late with captured settlers.

- What did you prioritize for research and policies? Getting to milsci for Varu and then trying to stay ahead on units.

- Did you bother with Religion? Yes I love faith buying buildings and units.

- How did you Crush your enemies? Very slowly.Staying friendly with people I wasn't fighting until I felt my position was strong enough.After taking most of Mapuche and Mongoliathings started to snowball.

- Were City-States helpful? Yes I had Fez,Mexico City,Granada,Valletta.Buying city center buildings with faith is nice as are protectorate wars.

- Any surprises you ran into, how did you deal with it?Not really

- Did you enjoy the game?Yes

Attachments

• AutoSave_0328.Civ6Save
    4.1 MB · Views: 136
This game is closed for submissions as time has run out.

You may continue to post here and attach saves if you wish.

T 170 DV
I know it's too late but as I played the game I'll post it for the record.

Thank You for the game!

Attachments

• 6otm90 DominationT170DV.Civ6Save
    2.9 MB · Views: 106
  • 20200818214407_1.jpg
    20200818214407_1.jpg
    848.5 KB · Views: 163
Top Bottom