6otM99 After Actions Report

Eyswein

King
GOTM Staff
Welcome to the 6otM99 After Actions Report thread. In this thread you can post the results of your game. Please state victory date and score (preferably in the post title), as recorded in the Hall of Fame, and the most important: your path to glory!

STOP - Please do not continue reading this thread until you have completed and submitted your game.

Please attached your victory save to your post.

- What was your plan for achieving a Domination VC? What are the major steps you planned to take? What events, if any, changed the plan in execution and to what new plan? Any interesting decision points?
- How did the leader bonus and civ unique ability impact your plan/play, if at all?
- How many cities did you settle and/or capture?
- What did you prioritize for technology/civics?
- What were key production/purchase focuses? Military units / Civilian units / Districts & city development / Wonders / Civ Unique Unit & Infrastructure? Most critical or interesting?
- Pantheon chosen and why? Religious beliefs chosen, and why?
- What governments did you select? What key policy cards did you use? Why?
- Which Governors were most important; when and why?
- Was diplomacy/trading useful? How? Relations with other civs?
- Were City-States helpful? Any competition with other civs for key city states?
- When did you have Dark/Golden ages?
- How were the Barbarians?
- Any surprises/frustration/elations you ran into, how did you deal with it?
- Did you enjoy your game?

Please use spoiler tags for any surprise details you'd like kept hidden. Thanks.

Players are encouraged to provide feedback on the game. Some players like to replay the game, and although we will not record the results from a replay, you can still post your new experiences (please state if the game is a replay). Please refrain from posting videos until the deadline for submission is over.

DV-216
Settled 3 cities on the cost and one more south for niter mid game.Built 3 campi and 3 harbors and beelined for caravels for the first rush as the Viking declared on me.Second rush was the naval UU for Dido and Brazil .England was at par with me in science, kept her friend first then she declared as almost everybody else .Finished her last with bombers and tanks.
I picked the fishing boat pantheon that got boosted with one of my Suz.I kept the 2 CS on the island north both Suz the all game, did not go for religion.
Holland is great for gold with trade routes, I was getting 300+ in mid game and helped a bit with loyalty as I only got the first golden age, all the other where normal.
Great challenging game thanks

Attachments

• DV-WILHELMINA 216 1525 AD.Civ6Save
    2.1 MB · Views: 114
  • Screen Shot 2020-11-18 at 4.34.08 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-11-18 at 4.34.08 AM.png
    7.3 MB · Views: 223
Domination Victory turn 284, score 2444
Played a peaceful science-focused game until about t180, when I reach tech and military parity with the strongest opponent, Ottomans. Then it was war, one at a time: Ottomans, England, Tamil & Norway (who declared on me as allies of England), then simultaneous destrtuction of Brazil, Gitarja, and Dido (last to fall). UU was very helpful.

I settled about 10 - 12 cities, and these did most of the work. Captured cites gave WW bonuses but too late capture to really be decisive.

Heavy use of naval bombardments, rocket artillery, stealth bombers, and even GDR's got some action from Brazil war onward.

No religion, but pantheon giving faith for breathtaking tiles was very useful, buying units with faith seemed like abuse. All golden ages except one, and the dark policy card giving extra military strength + experience was very useful in the first wars. Military then cost a lot more, but I had a very strong economy so it wasn't a problem.

Finishing any Deity level with a victory before t300 makes me happy. Any time I can make a Deity Dom victory makes me happy. Doing both in the same game, priceless! Thanks for a fun game!:clap:

Attachments

• WILHELM 284 1826 AD dv sc2444.Civ6Save
    2.8 MB · Views: 117
Domination Victory Turn 245, Score 2375

See my post in Opening Actions Thread for first 100 turns

Following my peaceful build-up, I only started to plan the Domination win post-turn-100. I needed Cartography and Caravels to scout more of the map and pushed for that. Around Turn 120 I switched most of my cities to produce ships and troops. I identified Suleiman as the first target as he had a weak army and was quite close.

My first army parked between the middle island and Suleimans land: 3 De Zevens, 2 Caravels, 2 Crossbowmen, 2 Knights and a Swordsman. Three turns before I can launch my attack a Level 5 Hurricane shows up right in the middle of my army. I lost both Crossbowmen and a De Zeven. Several other troops were wounded, so I had to delay my attack some turns before re-inforcements arrive. Finally I launch the first attack. Almost at the same time I complete the Renaissance and enter Industrial Era with a Dark Age. I was lacking 10+ points for the normal age.

The war against Suleiman is very slow and tedious. He has Renaissance Walls in all cities and plenty of Encampments. Slow but steady I close in on Istanbul and capture it. I have serious Loyalty problems in my newly aquired cities due to the Dark Age and decides to go for all of Turkey, which further slows down my plan.

Once the war against Suleiman is finished I swtich to attack Tamar and now my Fleet and Army have collected plenty of experience. My devastating fleet of De Zevens are now dreaded all over the world. Tamar falls much easier and I can switch my fleet to attack Harald, while my army finishes off Tamar. Meanwhile I have researched Battleships and upgrades my Fleet. I have some Battleship Armadas with 4-5 upgrades when I discover Lysefjord wonder.

Thanks to my war success I have no problem to get a Heroic Age in the Modern Era.

Harald falls easily and I move further towards Gitarja, who proves the easiest opponent. My fleet then heads towards Tyre and Rio de Janerio which are captured quickly.

England was the strongest civ in my game, except for me and it takes another 20 turns or so to reach London and capture it with a mix of heavily upgraded Missile Cruisers, Jet Bombers and Modern Armors. For the first time I managed to have a fully upgraded troop - a Missile Cruiser with all 7 upgrades.

Very enjoyable game and I start to feel more confident on Deity level, even if I don't have the speed as some of the other players here.

Screenshot Turn 245
Spoiler Turn 245 - End game :

[/ATTACH]

Attachments

• 20201121205530_1.jpg
    20201121205530_1.jpg
    517.6 KB · Views: 14
  • WILHELMINA 245 1670 AD.Civ6Save
    2.5 MB · Views: 111
DV T154
Spoiler :

- What was your plan for achieving a Domination VC? What are the major steps you planned to take? What events, if any, changed the plan in execution and to what new plan? Any interesting decision points?
get some heavy campus adjacencies going and then take the first civ using horse and then get the De Zeven's online as fast as possible and hope the map suited.... which it did. Plenty of decision points, I decided not to keep Granada but give it back only to have to take it later. A coiuple of civs hidden in channels but with battleships at the end Tibilsi was no far enough inland to stop them. Rare I get to play a good ship game. Let down by a HUGE lack of decent enemy naval even though they can never play it well anyway.
Also once I saw england building walls I changed to swords before I had even built any cav.
- How did the leader bonus and civ unique ability impact your plan/play, if at all?
Massively - that adjacency just rocks, one of my fave island game civs with the de zeven bridging the battleship gap
Settled 3 initially, then when I started taking England I settled the other 2... I really wanted the +16 adjacency tile but had to start taking England first who was tougher than expected.
AH, Writing, then bronze working... bronze working was a must, you do need that GG to give you the extra edge at deity. Then it was just push to muskets and De Zeven. Would have been faster if I had just itgnored muskets. certainly do-able faster than I did it. Civics was just push but as the Netherlands it is not that hard, expecially with Nan modal all game uncontested... weird.
- What were key production/purchase focuses? Military units / Civilian units / Districts & city development / Wonders / Civ Unique Unit & Infrastructure? Most critical or interesting?
get the 3 campus built to get the encampment district discount so I could get a GG as early as possible.
Earthy goddess. I was thinking about the hunt but with a dom being able to buy a lot of faith units later meant it was no contect really
Autocracy for early units then Oligarchy for the fight then merchant until the end.
Amani for early suze of Nan Madol was by for the most useful.
Yes, early trading helped, did not abuse it and all my trades were GPT which is a rule I use. I do not like sucking the enemyt dry of gold the turn before I attack them.
- Were City-States helpful? Any competition with other civs for key city states?
Nan Madol and Kabul, just so useful all through the game, the perfect combo for the map and neither contested on deity.
Golden classical, normal Medieval, golden renaissance. Was a little annoying and debilitating having a normal with that much faith but hey... my de Zevens were up and at theior strongest so had no reason to mope.
A slight pain but not really. Considering location I handled them well with only one hoarde attaching me but I had 3 archers by that stage.
Not really, I have played a lot of naval games and past a point its just meh...
Deity is a crap shoot and I got a bit lucky I guess. Started attacking around T80.
I was surprised by the lack of navy norway had, I guess I sucked them dry as they declered on me when I was still attacking England.
I had not played much netherland naval so thanks, was great
Oh yes, ever so much, great map, did not scout before attacking so it was like a christmas present attacking each civ. The adjacencies were great, never seen a +8/16 like that although I guess its not extreme with the netherlands.
My partner messed up the computer with a nervous finger so had to save and restore at T140 but I'm not in it for the competition anyway. I'm sure someone can definately do a sub 150.I know I could do a sub 140 now I know where all the civs are.
upload_2020-11-21_20-41-28.png

Attachments

• WILHELMINA 154 860 AD.Civ6Save
    1.9 MB · Views: 116
Last edited:
DomV T127

-Map
Really good starting location with a lot of nice Polder spots
Insane Campus spots with with rivers/geothermal fissures
Mountain range blocking access to England eliminated any possibility of early land attack (from both sides).
Multiple coastal city-states blocking access to shallow water passages making early scouting difficult (I'm looking at you Geneva). You are basically forced into a peaceful opening.
I didn't expect to see a vertical land lock on a small continent map. I think it's the first time I've seen it on small continents, but I don't play that map script much. However, I've seen a few on continent games. I guess I could have conquered Yerevan (canal city) if I really needed to move through it.
Many strategic resources including multiple Niter.
Inland Georgia capital was a pain to take and was last to be scouted. I wasted a good 8 turns on it alone. Unfortunately, I didn't have any 3-range UU at that point.

-Pantheon
Earth Goddess, most broken pantheon (the new Goddess of Harvest).
Not prioritized by the AI and even more insane on water maps
I would really like to try out other pantheons, but it's just too good.

-Strategy
Pillaged (with Raid) England's Harbours with Caravels (She had a lot of them and basically recruited all early Great Admirals). I overshot to 5K gold.
Mass upgraded 14 Quadriremes into UU. I used Cardiff to upgrade my Eastern army.
It's been a while I did a Frigate rush and I underestimated the science bottleneck. I thought I would be ok with only a few 6+ adj Campi and skipped Librairies/Scientific city-states.
Bought some additional Musketmen with Grand Master's Chapel against Tamar.

-AI
AI made some really weird joint wars this game.
As I was pummeling Gitarja and Victoria into the ground they decided to make a joint war against Pedro?
Same thing later on as they joined war against Tamar at the other side of the world as they were both left on 1-2 cities with no army...
I had also two emergencies declared against me and both failed 1 against 2 votes (1 from initiator vs 1 from me and another 1 from Pedro).
I never declared friendship in that game, but Pedro might have been friendly, because I didn't recruit any GP early on.

-Note:
I used the Peace deal bug against England to get more cities as I wanted my land army to get moving.

Attachments

• WILHELMINA 127 275 AD.Civ6Save
    1.8 MB · Views: 193
  • Civ6Screen0047.jpg
    Civ6Screen0047.jpg
    547 KB · Views: 198
  • Civ6Screen0048.jpg
    Civ6Screen0048.jpg
    698.6 KB · Views: 208
Last edited:
T140

Spoiler :

Take first civ using mixture of horses and swords. Beeline to muskets. In the mean time build second swords army. Upgrade swords into muskets. While working to get square rigging tech, build handful of quadriremes to be upgraded into De Zevens. Roll the map.
Settled 4.
Somewhat in the following order:
Sailing (scout with builders), Writing. horses, swords, shipbuilding (no land connection to any civ), muskets, square rigging, cavalry.
3 x campuses, so that I could get discounted encampment and gov plaza. After that my science was too fast to get any more district discounts.
Earth goddess. No religion.
Autocracy, oligarchy, monarchy, theocracy
Pingala to help with culture and gpp. I could have lived without other governors.
Very helpful, Granada, Valetta, Kabul and Nan Madol. However lost the suz of Valetta mid game, but that didn't matter much as I had already purchased monuments etc. with faith in my core cities.
Golden -> normal -> golden. A bit annoyed that second age was normal. I was 2-3 points short. Could have easily massed few extra points by levying etc., but I had burned all my gold to unit upgrades.
In the early game barbs caused some serious problems. They came to knocking my doors from east and south. I lost my initial warrior to barbs. Because of barbs I had to get archers online faster than I would otherwise done.
My scouting was poor and I did not know the locations of the capitals of Pedro, Dido, Gitarja. So my army had to do a bit scouting as well.
Finally, when I thought I had found the capital of Brazil, I sieged the city couple turns with my muskets. Then I looked the city name, Curitiba. What? Hovered the mouse over the city and it says "new capital of brazil".
Oh, this is not Pedro's original capital. Ok, the original capital is 4 tiles further west. Let's ignore this city and move to the Rio de Janeiro. So I guess Pedro had lost control of his original capital and then recovered it.
Yes, great setup. Thanks gotm team!

Spoiler Core empire :

Attachments

• WILHELMINA 140 dov.Civ6Save
    1.9 MB · Views: 126
Debug #1160 (68,12), vis:4 ??
There is a setting to turn on location in the settings files. I CBA turning it off for GOTM. It gives a small advantage at the beginning as in you know your grid reference so know how near the equator you are but it’s no big thing and it’s not like I am being competitive, just taking part.

There is a setting to turn on location in the settings files. I CBA turning it off for GOTM. It gives a small advantage at the beginning as in you know your grid reference so know how near the equator you are but it’s no big thing and it’s not like I am being competitive, just taking part.

EnableDebugPlotInfo?
I assume (68,13) are the coordinates? What about vis:4?

EnableDebugPlotInfo?
I assume (68,13) are the coordinates? What about vis:4?
I have no idea, I do know my units have no additional visibility nor my diplomatic visibility changed. It also does not turn on resource visibility, they still appear as normal. I turned it on because things like spy logs and barbarian tactic logs use coordinates.If you find out, let me know, although TBH I have not done a lot lately, just lazily looking into barb behaviour.

T288 DV. I thought I ended it at turn 271 as I captured 'the Brazilian capital', Sao Paulo, but I had been careless and the real capital was completely on the other side of the continent, meaning I had to move my battleships and gold/prod buy missile cruisers closer. A true facepalm moment in the world of Civ.

I have no idea how others have been able to start conquering so early, as getting to Shipbuilding was not that fast and especially Square rigging & Military engineering. My war efforts were 90% naval, 10% bombards/artillery especially against Georgia and Ottomans. It was interesting that England managed to complete even Earth Satellite, despite being my first victim quite early and having to survive with just 2 cities (one tundra city).

My biggest hindrances were probably 'Mount blocker' next to Nan Madol and huge barbarian swarms near Eyfjallajökul. Other enemies fell quite easily to De 7's and later battleships, but Brazil somehow had crazy city strengths and also started spamming Minas Geraes just a few turns after the war commenced.

I also took Earth Goddess and ended up with almost 20k unused faith. I missed one crucial GG faith buy just by forgetting to do it at the right moment.

Polders were useless in this map/scenario, but otherwise NL is not a bad civ at all, though in some Pangaea maps etc. she might be quite weak.

Attachments

• WILHELMINA 288 1834 AD.Civ6Save
    2.7 MB · Views: 113
Science Victory Turn 242

Wow! Oops. That's right Science Victory!

I must have gotten this 6otM and another one I was considering mixed up. I did not intend skip the ACTUAL victory condition, but what a pity I would have loved to try this as domination! Regardless, this was my fastest science victory and was my first win on Deity, although in fairness I have only attempted three deity games in Civ6. Usually I focus too much on early growth at the expense of military, so I am too weak and a nearby AI takes a city or two early. Not this map! I must say I thoroughly enjoyed this game, and NL on this map and this map-type. The little inlets around our sub-continent were great for Polders. Couple that with the Mausoleum of Halicarnassus and easy victory. My capital was pushing out 150 production a turn, and my civ was at +1100 Science per turn by turn 200.

Mistakenly pursued Science Victory! Plan was to rapidly expand and use mega-bonuses for campus adjacency to propel my early-mid game in Science. Also, discovering that Natural Wonder volcano [the one I can not pronounce] to our southeast made early science and culture. Once I found that it was GAME ON! I expanded so fast I had 9 cities before turn 100 and before I could even use Ancestral Hall.

Excellent adjacency bonuses. Some of these city locations, however, were weak in production, so I had to wait until I could get some Industrial Zones running before I became the juggernaut I was.

9. All on our subcontinent with the exception of one, which was across the straight adjacent to Auckland.

Chemistry, Democracy.

Ended up building about 6 wonders. Kilwa Kisiwani // Mausoleum of Halicarnassus // Oxford University // Ruhr Valley // Temple of Artemis // Országház

Did not found a religion. Was able to use the early faith tiles for the God of Sea pantheon which made my coasts even more productive.

Typical SV governments and cards.

Pingala. I think he is the best. That being said Magnus was helpful for early settler rush and a few early wonders.

Always. I was the resource-market for the entire world. Because of our isolation, I traded my horses, iron, niter.... to most civs [except Ottomans they scare me]. I was friendly with every civ by turn 100. As such I was good to go for the remainder of the game. Was able to have a very robust economy in spite of only building one commercial hub.

So yes, very helpful. But not in the traditional way. I was suzzerian of 3 military city states early on [mostly through easy quests]. While this did help my settler production in the capital, the biggest advantage was Viletta was an explorer-at-heart. That city-state had ships traversing the globe the entire game. So they actually introduced me to all other civs except England, and got me early exposure to the science city states, which were very helpful paired with Kilwa Kisiwani.

Medieval Dark Age, Golden Ages every other age.

Weak. Took care of them fast and early.

The UU is really really nice for bombarding. While I was not at war the entire game, I was able to test it out against rogue Barbarian tundra states that were protecting tribal villages at the poles. A mistake I made was that I forgot the moon landing gave mega-culture. So late game I focused on culture for about 15 turns [and spent 2000 gold on Great Art] to get me to democracy faster. Then I landed a human on the moon... had the rest of the civic tree completed after that!

Absolutely! My only wish was that it was tech/civic shuffle, which makes science victory conditions much more unpredictable and enjoyable.

Last edited:
T125 DV
Spoiler :
What was your plan for achieving a Domination VC? What are the major steps you planned to take? What events, if any, changed the plan in execution and to what new plan? Any interesting decision points?
  • Plan: send a navy east and west. Capture as many cities with galleys/quads as possible. Chop out land units in captured cities to accompany the navy.
  • Start: I'd been experimenting with a builder, settler, builder start for water maps. I decided to go for it and it worked quite well. Each builder uses 2 charges then becomes a sailor.
  • Twist: Victoria was the only close enemy and she was already building walls while I was producing my navy. I knew I would have to throw the kitchen sink at her, then split from there.
  • Unlucky: Victoria had two unwalled, coastal cities when I began the war. I captured the first (Liverpool). The second (Manchester) built walls exactly one turn (T84) before I was going to capture it. Manchester had 1/2 of England’s encampments and the PYRAMIDS. Very frustrating. I imagine I would've captured London 10 turns after that. Instead, I didn't capture London until T104.
How did the leader bonus and civ unique ability impact your plan/play, if at all?
  • Definitely made for some great campus adjacencies. I used a few trade routes for loyalty.
How many cities did you settle and/or capture?
  • Settled 6. Three primary. One mid-game to help with loyalty vs England. One from a settler stolen from England. Another was a late settle near niter.
What did you prioritize for technology/civics?
  • Techs: sailing, writing, shipbuilding, cartography, gunpowder, square rigging.
  • Civics: EE, PP, RH, feudalism, mercenaries
What were key production/purchase focuses? Military units / Civilian units / Districts & city development / Wonders / Civ Unique Unit & Infrastructure? Most critical or interesting?
  • Wonders - Great Lighthouse.
  • Districts - Campuses first in my first 3 cities.
  • Army: England —> Georgia.
  • Navy: Geneva —> England —> Indonesia —> Phoenicia —> Brazil —> Yerevan —> Valetta (Ottoman captured) —> Ottoman
  • Two caravels: Norway —> Georgia
Pantheon chosen and why? Religious beliefs chosen, and why?
  • Goddess of the hunt - because of those good looking pigs next to the cap. Judging by other posts, I should have taken earth goddess. No religion.
What governments did you select? What key policy cards did you use? Why?
  • Govt: Oligarchy then Merchant Republic.
  • Policies: Natural philosophy was in most of the game, alternated between conscription and raid, used the cards to boost points for my first GS and GG.
Which Governors were most important; when and why?
  • I went for Black Marketer once I realized warring England and Georgia would require land strength. This hurt my culture a decent amount since I couldn’t promote Pingala to connoisseur until later.
Was diplomacy/trading useful? How? Relations with other civs?
  • Managed fairly decent diplomacy. Had 4-5 friends in the classical age. Around turn 100 I DoW’d Indonesia. Then people started getting mad.
  • In the early classical era, Brazil and Indonesia were selling 20 diplo favor for 10 gold. Made for easy arbitrage with Georgia buying 20 diplo favor for 100 gold.
Were City-States helpful? Any competition with other civs for key city states?
  • Kabul - seemed like units were promoting every other turn. I had 3-4 level 4 naval units at the end.
  • Auckland - great production in my first couple cities.
  • Granada - built a few Alcazars.
  • Geneva - had to go, sadly. I couldn’t afford England suzing such a critical chokepoint.
When did you have Dark/Golden ages?
  • All golden.
How were the Barbarians?
  • Not too bad. A couple camps were convenient for era score.
Any surprises/frustration/elations you ran into, how did you deal with it?
  • Best part of my game: NO military advisory resolution!
Did you enjoy your game?
  • Loved it. Loved the map for the Dutch, especially how mountain range blocking England forced a naval strategy. The whole game felt very immersive. Thank you GotM team.

Attachments

• GotM99 T125 DV.Civ6Save
    1.7 MB · Views: 177
  • Screenshot (3).png
    Screenshot (3).png
    3.5 MB · Views: 192
  • Screenshot (4).png
    Screenshot (4).png
    4.1 MB · Views: 192
Last edited:
Turn 158 score 1323
Don't think I've played GOTM since CivIV and man, does AI blow in Civ6. I guess one can tear through all the "Deity" AI like wet paper with unique frigates some 30 turns faster than I did. I wonder if that can be reasobably achieved without settling past 2 cities? One city?
Still had fun, tried to pay respect to mapmaker's design, settling Eyfjasomething even. Harald destroyed "channel" CS to Tbilisi, and Ottomans settled Sivas blocking the location, or would've shaved some turns off the result, but oh well.

Attachments

• WILHELMINA 158 940 ADwin.Civ6Save
    1.9 MB · Views: 103
Turn 158 score 1323
Don't think I've played GOTM since CivIV and man, does AI blow in Civ6. I guess one can tear through all the "Deity" AI like wet paper with unique frigates some 30 turns faster than I did. I wonder if that can be reasobably achieved without settling past 2 cities? One city?
Still had fun, tried to pay respect to mapmaker's design, settling Eyfjasomething even. Harald destroyed "channel" CS to Tbilisi, and Ottomans settled Sivas blocking the location, or would've shaved some turns off the result, but oh well.
Welcome back. :wavey:

This game is closed for submissions as time has run out.

You may continue to post here and attach saves if you wish.

Top Bottom