7/23 BtS release date

Discussion in 'Civ4 - General Discussions' started by Maydrock, Jul 23, 2007.

1. Maydrock

Maydrock Prince

I take this means one can on only order the game in the U.S. today. Store web site's I go to say it will be available on 7/25.

Does anyone know which stores have it in stock today?

2. warpstorm

warpstorm Yumbo? Yumbo!

None as they aren't allowed to sell it till tomorrow.

3. Soneji

Soneji Prince and Great Steward

lol?

Wtf is going on with the American market? I've been playing it now for 4 days!

4. BirraImperial

BirraImperial Pura Vida!

Amazon.com still says it will ship today. Delivery estimate is tomorrow (To FL), as I paid for 1 day Shipping. Of course, it will take another couple of days fo me to get it.

5. Soneji

Soneji Prince and Great Steward

Why have they delayed the American launch of the game?

6. Algan

Algan Insert witty phrase here

The million-dollar question.

7. LordGek

LordGek Prince

No clue but I think it has something to do with the "order size" and the production facilities.

I mean, face facts, supplying Austrailia and a few European Countries (but not even Germany yet, if I heard it right), probably was a lot easier to pump out.

But even more interesting, I think, is that first patch's only fix was listed as "Synchronizing American and European Releases"...so maybe they knew there were a few last minute bugs they wanted to still fix before the American release but were willing to let the rest of the world get a slightly earlier release candidate? I also almost assume that they THOUGHT the process outside of the US would take a little longer than it ended up taking so they could have had a truly simultaneous release but the European/Australian distributors were more efficient then our folk gave them credit.

8. Thorburne

Thorburne Centurion

When I worked at EB a few years ago, I noticed that the release date given by websites was always a day before it hit the store shelves. This means that the games are actually at the warehouses at the date given and are shipping to customers and retailers that day. The reason that that date is given, as opposed to the store shelf date, is for those who order it online. The release the date that it ships so that people are not crying, "where's my game?" when the date arrives. Otherwords, people would just go to the store on the day of release instead of ordering online (or maybe do both) so that they can get the game.

If you get the release date directly from the store that you want to pick it up at, they will often list the day after the websites list as when it will be in.

The only things I've ever seen hit shelves on the date announced as a release are consoles (and accompying launch game). Of course, that is because they ship out earlier than the date to make sure that the units are in stores when the lines begin to form.

9. Willowmound

Willowmound Wordbug

'A lot', maybe not. A combined population of one hundre million (UK, Australia and the Netherlands) against three hundred million in the US. So one third 'easier'.

Don't know that this is the explanation.

10. Gaius Octavius

Gaius Octavius Deity

Hardly. More like the $3.85 question. You'd think an earlier release = more money for them... you'd think...

Maybe Australia really is the beta continent. :crazyeye:

11. GeoModder

GeoModder Deity

You forgot the 10 million people in Belgium! :nono:

12. Dark_Jedi06

Dark_Jedi06 "Deus ex Machina."

I pre-ordered the game at my local EB Games where my brother works and he said it won't be available for sale there until tomorrow. :(

He'll be taking me there before opening so I can grab BtS and he can get Guitar Hero Rock the 80's. :lol:

13. hgthechinese

hgthechinese Warlord

July 23? what is that date? I got the game over a week ago and already unified the world a couple times.....I guess Americans are slow :D

14. Willowmound

Willowmound Wordbug

Mon dieu! How could I.

15. Bast

Bast Protector of Cats

We are. :lol:

16. civspain

civspain Your lord and Master

i just checked amazon for some reason it said they will not ship until the 28th of july

17. Tristan daCunha

Tristan daCunha Pacifist Aggressive

Amazon burned a lot of people during Civ 4's debut. I'm not sure what their problem was, but after waiting several days for an order which kept being pushed further and further back, I went to a store and bought the game.

18. civspain

civspain Your lord and Master

i pre ordered from gogamer.com they still have the 24th date lets see but alot pre order from amazon .civ 4 i believe i pre ordered from ebgames.com amazon is a little expensive for the most part

19. LlamaCat

LlamaCat Emperor

I live about 20 miles from Firaxis... should I go drive over and knock on their front door to request a copy? :)

20. Putchuco

Putchuco Addictionado

I'm amazed you haven't done so already... ;)

I know I would be tempted, sneak up on the Civ4 team in their cafeteria, plot their way to their favorite Starbucks, get into an 'accidental' chat, beg them out of a game copy ... :D