1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

7.4x Balance Thread

Discussion in 'Wildmana Modmod' started by Sephi, Mar 6, 2010.

1. Sephi

Sephi Deity

Since quite a bit has been added recently. Are there things that could use some balance tweaks?

2. [to_xp]Gekko

[to_xp]Gekko QCT junkie

Malakim and Hawks permanently removing invisibility. thanx for 7.40 btw :D

3. Sephi

Sephi Deity

what kind of invisibility do hawks remove permanently? They definetly do not remove all kind of invisibility permanently

4. kavark

kavark Chieftain

I played a game with 7.40 earlier this morning and one thing I immediately noticed was the effect of Occasional Promotions Mod. I am not entirely sure if it is by pure luck or it would be a very common occurrence, but I had a level 7 warrior that had

All five combat promotions, woodsman I and guerilla I, cover I & cover II, shock I & shock II, and march. Combat V, woodsman I, guerilla I, cover II, and shock II were all earned through the occasional promotion mod.

I was wondering if this would be a bit overpowered. I am all for the RPG flavor of earning some promotions through combat, but I think the "chance" of earning a random promotion should probably be lowered a bit.

5. Pohlmann

Pohlmann Warlord

tried out clan of embers on immortal and got beaten up pretty hard while playing 5 or 6 succesful games with other races in a row.

you just cant start into the game. you start in the jungle so half of the ressources isnt accessible, copper is rare there, you have the slowest workers of all civs, start without starting tech and tech slower than the rest even not considering immortal bonus.

so you can neither expand, nor seek early fights because when you have 6 axemen without promotions and rantine, your neighbour has 30 moroi with combat 3.

also their worldspell seems to be malfunctioning because i never get more than 2 units on a standard sized map no matter when i cast it

maybe i exaggerate a bit but i knew from the very beginning of the game that i wouldnt stand a chance.

6. [to_xp]Gekko

[to_xp]Gekko QCT junkie

we were talking about it here in the Esus thread: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=354702&page=2

hawks cancel into the mist permanently, and Reveal cancels Shadow invisibility permanently. imho hawks being able to SEE invisible units ( and not invisible animals only ) is also overpowered, since it's way way too easy to build a couple hawks and be always able to see invisible stuff everywhere, making invisibility basically a m00t point.

7. [to_xp]Gekko

[to_xp]Gekko QCT junkie

actually, units that start with invisibility should probably be able to cast it again, losing it forever for a single Reveal seems harsh.

I have also experienced Pohlmann's issues with the Orcs lately. I suggest to set the orcs so they get less unhealth from jungles, and possibly no food loss from them ( no big deal since a grassland tile is 2 food, which is not useful. on tiles with resources though, it comes in handy )

8. Knickohr

Knickohr Chieftain

I just started a game with the new faeri-civ. On Turn ca 120 i got Erkling, on Turn 130 I wiped out Bannor and Illians an have now 40 mounted Units with strength 5-7. Theres only one Ocean between me and and my conquest-victory.

The wild Hunt is nice, but i got access much to early.

9. Sephi

Sephi Deity

you were quite lucky. % chance to gain a promotion through battle is equal to % chance to loose the unit in battle.

10. [to_xp]Gekko

[to_xp]Gekko QCT junkie

Malakim should rush RoK less, they ALWAYS steal it from under the dwarves' noses :lol:

same for the Sheaim who steal it from the Lanun.

11. saathei

saathei Warlord

~~~You know what, I'm just going to remove this post until I get these crazy Faeries figured out more~~~

12. Seven05

Seven05 Warmonger

On barbarians & wild animals:

Any chance you can soften up the appearance of them? Currently they all suddenly pop into existence all over the world at turn 50 (on normal speed). It would be more pleasant if they started to gradually apear instead.

Wild Stags might need some attention. At strength 4 they're pretty tough and eat up the Goblins and civ scouts easily so you end up with a lof of Combat V deer terrorizing the world until the hunters & lizardmen get out there and clean them all up.

Goblin archers... I still don't see any 'normal' goblins, only archers. The AI for the archers likes to camp and bombard animal lairs until somebody comes along and either kills the animals or the goblins. They don't do enough ranged damage to kill the animals but they do enough to stop them from attacking the goblins. I think part of the problem here is that their target can end up fully healed at the start of the next turn so the goblins never feel the urge to attack and just keep bombarding them with their ranged attack. This can happen sometimes with non animal units but not often as scouts are weak and easily killed by the goblins, once hunters show up you can see the same thing happening with the goblins endlessly bombarding a hunter that forever waits out the turn to heal back up.

13. kavark

kavark Chieftain

I am currently playing a monarch game with 12 civs on a large map, what I notice is that AI's that incorporates a house often have trouble keeping the support up and usually end up losing a city to the house.

I am still unsure how house support is calculated. I am currently trying to keep the support for House Cannith up, and it seems to be a gradual but inevitable losing battle even though I am producing adepts non-stop from 3 cities and upgrading them immediately to mages. Can you shed some light on how supports is calculated?

14. Sephi

Sephi Deity

Currently the Revolution Mechanic is only implemented for House Ghallanda.

I will add ways for House Cannith to keep Support high, probably by spellcasting and promoting their spellcasters in mind/metamagic school. Scholarship will also get high Support Modifier.

15. [to_xp]Gekko

[to_xp]Gekko QCT junkie

about finding disciples in dungeons and founding religions with them, isn't there a way to block a disciple of religion A from being able to be a dungeon reward, until religion A has been founded?

or maybe specify in the code that a religion is only founded when someone researches the technology first, until then even if you spread it to a city, it's still not a holy city?

16. [to_xp]Gekko

[to_xp]Gekko QCT junkie

also, any ideas about the Malakim? it seemed like we were in agreement that they're too powerful right now.

the issue seems to be that floodplains+oases , coupled with desert economy giving a lot of food from trade routes, gives them crazy amounts of food and commerce.

give them a reduction to the amount of unhealthiness they get from floodplains, so that their cities are not always unhealthy, and then give them a huge nerf to food from trade routes from desert economy, making it negative like commerce. it seems to make sense that they would trade what they have in huge amounts ( food and commerce ) in exchange for what they lack ( hammers ) .

this should bring them down to level with the other civs, and also make their yields a bit more balanced across the 3 kinds.

I'd also change the code so that floodplains ALWAYS appear on desert, since the unpredictability of it is annoying. with a big enough penalty on food from desert economy, it won't be unbalanced :lol:

another thing that feels underpowered right now is enlighten ( which name "enlighten city" is also misleading :lol: ) , which imho should be made more powerful so that it's actually one of the things that makes them stand out. less outrageous yields, better unique abilities, more interesting to play ;)

enlighten could be changed so that when you're on an empty lonely desert tile, you can enter enlighten mode which will then give you a promotion that works the same way as potency does for arcane units, but makes you immobile. if you exit from enlighten mode you will be again free to move but lose the promotion. more reliable, less random, doesn't lock your priest in place as a sitting duck for 20 turns. :D

17. [to_xp]Gekko

[to_xp]Gekko QCT junkie

umh, actually that food penalty from trade routes might be way too minor in the early game when their overpowered yields are more obvious. easy solution, give them a innate -20% food, that possibly fades out after they have a certain number of cities/trade routes/trade route yields. or make it only apply to their capitol, tying it to the palace. or maybe -20% from the palace and -10% in all other cities :lol:

18. kavark

kavark Chieftain

Another thing I noticed with house support is that when I incorporated House Cannith, I have already build Catacomb Libraus. Since house support starts off at 100, having Catacomb Libraus before incorporation of House Cannith is actually a detriment since it kind of makes maintaining support via building new mage guild impossible without founding new cities. Perhaps make it so that at the moment of incorporation the "true" House support value can go beyond 100 pending on existing buildings, units, and etc the empire has. That would also add a bit of buffer time before the player needs to start worrying and managing support value.

Another issue is also Catacomb Libraus + House Cannity combo related. House Cannith Alchemy lab requires 4 mage guild to be present in the empire before it can be built, Catacomb Libraus kind of makes this a cake walk.

Would this be considered as an unfair? advantage for House Cannith since all other houses that currently have special House buildings do not have a corresponding world wonder that would instantly grant the pre-req for the house buildings?

19. Sephi

Sephi Deity

there is already code to make soften up the appearance. Greatly increased its effect now. Don't know how much it is felt while playing though.

20. kavark

kavark Chieftain

I've done some more random thinking on the whole house thing. Not sure if any of these is already in game as I am still working with getting to know House Cannith.

Since Houses are great influential families that lives in symbiosis with the empire that supports them, it would be nice to see some of these things in game:

1. Positive or negative hit on diplomatic relationship between Empires that support competiting Housees or Friendly Houses.

2. Instead of having House "revolts" and take over a city when the support is too low, how about allow the House HQ to be automatically relocated to the next empire that has the second greatest support for the specific House. It makes a bit more sense because Houses represent influential families hiding in the shadowy political background affecting the flow and ebb of Erebus' history rather than out and open Empires.

3. There should be a diplomatic option to request or invite an already-incorporated House to come and start "doing business" in your empire if your diplomatic relation with the empire that incorporates the House is high enough.

4. There should be an option to "eliminate" unwanted Houses within your own empire. Perhaps this should be more tied to the kind of civic you're running, a God King or a Military/Conquest civic would be more suited for this kind of action than say the Republic civics.