7 Population - Why not?

spleen1015

Regent
I was reading one of the threads in the Succession Forum and read that going to 7 population was a bad idea.

Can someone explain to me why this is a bad idea?

if you provide a link to that succession game I could tell you better. However, it probably had soemthing to do with the specific situation with happiness and the likes.

Without knowing the threads that you're talking about, it might involve the amount of food required to grow. For instance, if you're trying to produce lots of settlers, you want to minimize the number of turns between growths, and that might often happen with less than 7 people in a city.

It could also have to do with keeping your city from rioting... in certain cases you might not want to have to make an entertainer or raise the luxury slider. But that would be very specific to your difficulty level, your city improvements, and your luxuries.

This is the thread I was reading. I believe they were talking about it while discussing a Settler Factory.

I just picked up Civ3 Gold one week ago yesterday. I've played a little Civ 2, but I never made an effort to get beyond Chieftain level. I'm making an effort with Civ 3. Please excuse my ignorance. :) I can win on Chieftain, but I have been beaten 3 times on Warlord. :D

A city of size 7 requires 20 food to grow 1 unit of population as opposed to 10 food for a city of size upto 6. Therefore its not practical to create a settler factory when size 7 because it requires 10 spare food per turn in order to replenish the population stock as quickly as it is depleted, that is 1 unit of population growth every two turns.

thats with a granary of course

Its something you learn by reading Bamspeedy's Babylon Diety Settlers strategy in the War Academy :)

Isn't it 20 for a town and 40 for a city?

Originally posted by DragonRunner
Isn't it 20 for a town and 40 for a city?

Without a granary yes.

Without Granary
Size 1-6: 20 food to grow
Size 7-12: 40 food to grow

With Granary
Size 1-6: 10 food to grow
Size 7-12: 20 food to grow

Top Bottom