1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

741 gpt for Electronics: yes or no?

Discussion in 'Civ3 - Strategy & Tips' started by Aggie, Mar 10, 2003.

?

741 gpt for Electronics, yes or no?

1. yes, take the 741 gpt and be happy

24 vote(s)
    77.4%
  2. no, don't trust the AI

7 vote(s)
    22.6%
  1. Aggie

Aggie Deity

I'm in a game right now were the Iroquois offer 741gpt for Electronics. Great sum of money, but I'm afraid they will sneak attack. Should I take the money?

It's Deity. I am one tech ahead (becasue of TeO), 4th on the histograph and weakest in military. The Iroquois are the strongest force and live on another continent (10 turns away).

2. amirsan

amirsan King of all Kings

I would take that great deal. If they decide to attack then you'll have enough money to rush defence in you outer cities and coastal. I haven't played in Diety and lived realy so I don't know if they'll sneak attack with thier reputation on the line (and break a deal).

3. Woody

Woody General

I will not sell electronics until I have completed hoover dam, it is too nice of a wonder to take a chance on not getting. The extra production that hoover gives you will be worth more in the long run that the gold you get up front.

4. amirsan

amirsan King of all Kings

5. Chieftess

Chieftess Moderator Retired Moderator

I love it when 2 units start marching towards your border (an obvious give-away), sign the gpt deal, and let them get a rep hit. I did that in a game now, and each civ has sneak attacked me. (except one, who still remains gracious).

6. Strider

Strider In Retrospect

I have to wonder what this acutally means.

Anyway.... I say to try to get hoover before you build it. Then if they still want to make the deal then accept it, but hoover is to much of a good wonder to pass up.

7. Goonie

Goonie Lonely End of the Rink

Don't do it!

8. YNCS

YNCS Ex-bubblehead

Build Hoover and then sell electronics. I doubt you'll get 741 gpt but you should get something for it.

9. Hygro

Hygro soundcloud.com/hygro/

probably too late now, but how good is your military.

oh, and what option did you take?

10. TheTruth

TheTruth Knowledge is the KEY!

i also play on diety and this is what i would do if i were you. since he ask you for this deal it must be at the end of your turn, so i would decline and let the turn finish, that way he does not sell it to anyone else before you do. then i would fine my most productive city and start building the HD. with is being you turn, sell the tech to him and everyone else who will buy it. then after he starts building the HD check the city that he is building it in and see if he will beat you to it. if he won't beat you to it, and no one else (who you sold the tech to will either ) than you are good to go and you will get HD. if he will beat you to it by one or two turns then gather up alll your workers and move them to that city to produce more shields and move your citizen around to the most productive squares and i am sure you will get it. and 700+ gpt is alot of money to not take

just my 2cents
    gl

11. Aggie

Aggie Deity

I went to sleep after I submitted the poll and haven't played since the. I've got 1/4th of the Iroquois military in numbers. No artillery and infantry yet. That will be my main focus. I'll probably choose to accept the deal. Hoover is almost finished (1 turn), so that will be mine for sure!

@TheTruth: thanks for the tips. Didn't think of the workers...

12. Hygro

well with hoover almost done, SELL IT NOW! (if you haven't already) keep us posted on your game (I've been following it through what, 3 threads now?)

13. Darkness

Darkness Shadow creature

I agree with Hygro! Hoover's done in one turns, sell it and take the money. If he attacks he'll get the rep hit!

14. tao

tao Deity

Try to include a ROP in the deal. Even if you get a little bit less gpt, it might detain him from declaring war some turns. And of course, sell electronics to everybody else also.

A reason to delay a few turns would be if you have some soon expiring trades. I like to charge poor civs in resources fpr techs I give, because they have a chance to pay, even without money. And they don't declare war on you, because their funds are no longer available.

15. Hygro

tao, if the other civ is hellbent on war, a ROP will cause more problems as the other civ will use his roads and rails to hit his vulnerable cities.

16. tao

tao Deity

Yes. But NO in this case, because he says "The Iroquois are the strongest force and live on another continent (10 turns away)."

17. Aggie

Aggie Deity

I already have a ROP with all civs outside my continent :) But still, when they land on my shores with a ROP, I know they're going to attack next turn and nothing to be done about it. Except for surrounding the invaders...

18. Aggie

Aggie Deity

:lol: Sorry it's the excitement :) But only the first, about TGL is a bit dubious imho. This poll describes a situation that I never had before. And it amazed me. I'll update the TGL thread when I finish the game.

19. Grille

Grille panel insect

SELL!!!!! (if you haven't already)
    They are on another continent?
    Their transport capability is 4 per ship, at the most?
    You should be able to cope with them.(As you said, you'll know their plans when they land troops.)

20. billindenver

billindenver King

definitely, sell it now. If they attack, they attack, so you might as well get as much money as possible from them. I sell Scientific Method when I get Electronics, Atomic Theory several turns later, and Electronics the turn before Hoover is done. You can make gobs of cash doing that. Makes it real easy to upgrade all those riflemen to infantry.