(7a) Promotion Icons for VP

Asterix Rage

Warlord
Here is where you can tell things about (7a)

Current version: 4

7aPIPV.png

Spoiler What does (7a) do? :
111.png

222.png

Bonus​
s_bonus vs_.png

Defence​
s_defence_.png

Barbarians​
s_barbies_.png

Territory​
s_territory_.png

Pillage​
s_pillage_.png

Mystic Blade​
s_indo_.png

Eight Virtues of Bushido​
s_jap_.png

...About 250 new icons
See all of them in Civilopedia​

Last edited:
(7a) Promotion Icons for VP comes with more promo icons you can use in your own Modmods.
mini_iconsAtlas.png

64 Extra Icons :
\MODS\(7a) Promotion Icons for VP\Extra Promo Icons.png
Extra Promo Icons.png

It can be risky to make changes in mods to get new promo icons.
To make things safe and easy, the mini mod attached bellow "Zz_Extra_Promo_Icons" allows to assign any icons from the IconAtlas named "ExtraPromo_Atlas" to any PROMOTION_

Follow the instructions in Extra_update.sql (text file) :
Code:
-- Replace dots '.......' below with promotion names to assign.
-- Delete '/*' and '*/' front and back.

e.g.
"PROMOTION_UNIT_JAPAN_YAMATO" > icon #59

Code:
/*
UPDATE UnitPromotions SET IconAtlas = 'extraPromo_Atlas' WHERE Type = '.......'; --     => 58
UPDATE UnitPromotions SET PortraitIndex = '58' WHERE Type = '.......';
*/

UPDATE UnitPromotions SET IconAtlas = 'extraPromo_Atlas' WHERE Type = 'PROMOTION_UNIT_JAPAN_YAMATO'; --     => 59
UPDATE UnitPromotions SET PortraitIndex = '59' WHERE Type = 'PROMOTION_UNIT_JAPAN_YAMATO';

/*
UPDATE UnitPromotions SET IconAtlas = 'extraPromo_Atlas' WHERE Type = '.......'; --     => 60
UPDATE UnitPromotions SET PortraitIndex = '60' WHERE Type = '.......';
*/

Tutorial: How to replace Promotion Icons

Attachments

• Zz_Extra_Promo_Icons.7z
    1.4 KB · Views: 714
Last edited:
(7a) is in charge of all the Promotion Icons in Vox Populi base game only.

To have new Promo Icons for Enlightenment Era for Vox Populi, copy this minimod below* in your mod folder

Enlightenment Era for Vox Populi :
VPEE_pi_v 1.png

Last edited:
The promotion icons update paired with the latest UI improvements are very pleasing for the eye. A work of art, thank you!

Congrats @Asterix Rage! I've been enjoying this as a modmod for quite some time, but with the new UI update, is the mod "Flag Promotions (for VP/EUI)" redundant? What about "Promotion Overhaul" and "Improved City View (for VP/EUI)". Thanks G'Zebo for including this.

Congrats @Asterix Rage! I've been enjoying this as a modmod for quite some time, but with the new UI update, is the mod "Flag Promotions (for VP/EUI)" redundant? What about "Promotion Overhaul" and "Improved City View (for VP/EUI)". Thanks G'Zebo for including this.
Only the mods VPPI (Vox Populi Promotion Icons) and Promotion Tree are made redundant if you choose to install 7a and 7b with the newest version, so you should delete them; the others you mentioned are separate mods that are not included; you should be able to keep using those normally without issue.

"(7a) Promotion Icons for VP" replaces "VP Promo Icons" (VPPI) and is included in VP installer.
Make sure to delete all versions of VPPI from your mod folder.

"(7b) UI - Promotion Tree for VP" replace all previous version of "Promotion Tree" and is included in VP installer.
Make sure to delete all old versions of Promotion Tree from your mod folder.

"Flag Promotions", "Promotion Overhaul" and "Improved City View" are modmods you can copy in \MODS
They are great and furiously compatible.

Last edited:
Thank you both for the clarification.

--------------------------------------------------------------
TUTORIAL - How to replace Promotion Icons
--------------------------------------------------------------

Here is what you can do with 64 Extra Promo Icons included in (7a) Promotion Icons for VP.
Mod used: LastSword's Khmer for Vox Populi by hokath

There are 2 promotions in LastSword's Khmer: Bokator and Rice Farmers.
Look for the "xml/sql name" of these promotions in LastSword's Khmer folder.

:scan:TIP : Find "Bokator" or "PROMOTION_" text strings go strait on it

In: \MODS\LastSword's Khmer for Vox Populi\KhmerEmpire\Game Text Mod.xml
Khmer Game Text Mod.png

'PROMOTION_KHMER_BOKATOR' is for Bokator
'PROMOTION_KHMER_WORKERDUMMY' is for Rice Farmers

Let's pick 2 icons: ExtraPromo_Atlas
And let's say Icons #3 and #59 look good.

Open: \MODS\Zz_Extra_Promo_Icons\Extra_update.sql (with Notepad2 or Notepad++)
Make the change in: \MODS\Zz_Extra_Promo_Icons\Extra_update.sql
(Line25 is to set Icon#2)

Code:
UPDATE UnitPromotions SET IconAtlas = 'extraPromo_Atlas' WHERE Type = 'PROMOTION_KHMER_WORKERDUMMY'; --     => 02
UPDATE UnitPromotions SET PortraitIndex = '2' WHERE Type = 'PROMOTION_KHMER_WORKERDUMMY';

UPDATE UnitPromotions SET IconAtlas = 'extraPromo_Atlas' WHERE Type = 'PROMOTION_KHMER_BOKATOR'; --     => 59
UPDATE UnitPromotions SET PortraitIndex = '59' WHERE Type = 'PROMOTION_KHMER_BOKATOR';

The result:
Promotion Icons for VP.png

Last edited:
May i ask if adding new promotions icon have heavy or small performance impacts? really want to try it in multiplayer since it adds more visibility when you are at war, and can potentially made people avoid some mistakes.

En gros, est-ce que les icônes demandent beaucoup au jeu en terme de calcul^^?

EDIT: i suppose the UI Panel for promotion is quite heavy^^'

May i ask if adding new promotions icon have heavy or small performance impacts? really want to try it in multiplayer since it adds more visibility when you are at war, and can potentially made people avoid some mistakes.

No. Zero performance impact on "adding new promotion icons"
Actually, promotion icons are not added. When a promotion is created, it gets automatically the yellow "spark Blitz Promo" Icon.
After that, whatever the icon you assign to the promotion, the weigh is the same.

In the exemple above (Khmer) hokath gave to PROMOTION_KHMER_BOKATOR the icon #13 from PROMOTION_ATLAS to avoid the "spark" (xml) :
Code:
        <Row>
            <Type>PROMOTION_KHMER_BOKATOR</Type>
            <Description>TXT_KEY_PROMOTION_KHMER_BOKATOR</Description>
            <Help>TXT_KEY_PROMOTION_KHMER_BOKATOR_HELP</Help>
            <Sound>AS2D_IF_LEVELUP</Sound>
            <OrderPriority>1</OrderPriority>
            <CombatPercent>10</CombatPercent>
            <PortraitIndex>13</PortraitIndex>
            <IconAtlas>PROMOTION_ATLAS</IconAtlas>
            <PediaType>PEDIA_MELEE</PediaType>
            <PediaEntry>TXT_KEY_PROMOTION_KHMER_BOKATOR</PediaEntry>
            <CannotBeChosen>true</CannotBeChosen>
        </Row>

and we change it again with the icon #45 from extraPromo_Atlas (sql) :
Code:
UPDATE UnitPromotions SET IconAtlas = 'extraPromo_Atlas' WHERE Type = 'PROMOTION_KHMER_BOKATOR'; --     => 45
UPDATE UnitPromotions SET PortraitIndex = '45' WHERE Type = 'PROMOTION_KHMER_BOKATOR';

This process is executed during the Mods Loading sequence. It takes a few ms.
The game runs properly with a nicely updated icons database. No impact

All icons in (7a) follow this mechanics.

Last edited:
Question: would it be possible to make this compatible with only the Community Patch and not reliant on the CBO? I would like to use this mod but at this time I only use the CP mod, not the CBO, and do not plan to change that anytime soon.

EDIT: I scrutinized this mod's SQL files as well as the promotions XML files from both the stock game and CBO, and the game's core database "IconTexturesAtlases" table. From what I can see, it appears that there should not be any reason that this mod won't work with just CP installed. The way the SQL is written, the commands that attempt to update a promotion type that doesn't appear in the base game + exp/DLC simply won't execute because there isn't a matching field value to the WHERE clause. The IconTextureAtlases updates should work because they are simply creating new rows, not referencing anything that the CBO creates.

Unfortunately I can't test this at the moment, as I'm at work. Will test when I get home tonight.

Last edited:
compatible with only the Community Patch

It should work partially. (Most of the icons will be properly updated)
You'll need to delete Dependencies from .modinfo

Since the very beginning (7a) is dedicated to VP. My only plan is to improve it and deliver more icons for VP modmods

Last edited:
So yeah, it works fine (so far), and it works with Promotion Tree. All I had to do was comment out the dependency line for VP. I am still testing and probably will be for a while. The forced dependency on VP doesn't appear to be necessary, at least not with how the mod works at this time. You did a great job in writing the SQL so that it doesn't require anything that VP creates or changes, and since there are only changes to UI icons and no LUA code in the mod, it's unlikely there will be conflicts with other mods. I'll post back if I encounter problems.

Last edited:
Top Bottom