8 Ages of Pace

8 Ages of Pace v2.1.0 Release

Hi again! Have tried out the mod for a while now. So far it's a much better experience than vanilla. In renaissance/early industrial. No great culture guys yet, but I havent really focused on culture. I like the slower GP spawning rates in general though. In vanilla, I seemed to get one every other turn, and I always had several culture-GPs waiting for the next city to build its building. So my vote is, if you increase GP spawning rates, don't take it back to vanilla, but try a middle ground first.

Also, my previously stated idea about adding some buildings are beginning to become prevalent. Still havent had turns where i had nothing worthwhile to produce, but getting close. It would be good to have some minor buildings, like I mentioned, without significant payoff but yet some. Like a ticket booth for the amphitheater, a warehouse for the workshop, and a blacksmith for the encampment. Still, the boosts from buildings are so minor now anyway, that it is difficult not to cause a power creep when implementing this, so will still have to remain a feature for the future, I fear.

I do like the border growth expansion at the start, but maybe it could be slowed down just a few turns? It just seems that within like, 15 turns, you grow 3 times.

Yeah maybe slowing the food down a little, because it kind of takes way from wanting to boost your pop with wonders and religion buff, seen as there's no real need as you're struggling to keep up with housing. On the flipside, you should need to keep up with it.. On the flipside of the flipside, I've been doing mostly rivers (Because the bonus on the boast is terrible (I've actually boosted coastal tiles to 2 food, up from 1), but if you weren't on a river you'd be up against that housing cap pretty much straight away.

I think vanilla GP are slow, because my first vanilla runthough I didn't get many GP at all.. like 4 and that was with a cultural and almost science victory..

The problem with "slower GP spawning" is that great people don't tend to be very powerful in Civ VI. They shouldn't be rare or special because a lot of the time their effects are fairly minor boosts. There are some exceptions but they tend to be few and far between.

The cost of technologies and civics has been increased in later eras (cost of great people increased by the same amount to compensate longer duration of eras)
Ancient - no change
Classical - cost increased by 1.25
Medieval - cost increased by 1.5
Renaissance - 1.8
Industrial - 2.2
Modern - 2.6
Atomic - 3.2
Information - 4

Hi Lord Olleus
i am playing your great mod at emperor level, epic speed with romans in a giant map and max numbers of ai, but the tecnology is really running too fast i think, i am in medieval age in 1250 BC, i will like to know if there is a way to make the cost even in classical and medieval ages a lot more expensive, can i change the values in the file the sloweras.sql with no problems?
I am using a rushing way to grow faster, and i like that the cost of units and buildings are chiper, that makes the game a lot more fun.
thx for any help.

Yes, change those values to whatever you want and it should work.

Do people think the values are about right, for their current game? Obviously it depends on individual games, I found Renaissance/Industrial to be slow and the others fast, but I think that has more to do with my growth rate than anything. I guess I want things to "feel" right in an average case, huge beelines or rushes will obviously make things go haywire.

As for great people, I got 30 in my game as France before I won a cultural victory in 1860 ad. I thought that was quite a lot, but most of them were Industrial era even when I was at the start of the atomic era. I think I'll halve the rate at which I've increased them. Does that sound about right for people?

Last edited:
I do like the border growth expansion at the start, but maybe it could be slowed down just a few turns? It just seems that within like, 15 turns, you grow 3 times.

Where you playing as Rome or did you get a relic from a goody hut? I didn't think I'd changed the values by that much. The original culture cost for the first few tiles were
10, 20, 35, 52,... (that's for each tile, not the cumulative total) and I changed that to 10, 15, 22, 32,...

I was still spending a lot of gold popping tiles until I had theatre districts set up, so I'm not sure I want to increase the costs back up. What are other people's experiences?

I am playing my current game with v1a, on King, small map standard, I got to Industrial in 1220, now in 1630 I am in mid-Industrial age, Researching Sanitation. In civics, though, I am in mid-Renaissance...

biggest AI in 1635:
tech:
Japan is at beginning of Industrial,
civics:
Japan is is at beginning of Industrial

seems OK (King level AI)

A thought:

As the AI has different bonuses on different levels,
this mod would be best perhaps tuned with separate versions for the different AI levels...

I will try playing with the mod's era values for an Emperor game...

Thanks for the bug report, can you post your save file so I can investigate further?

yep, but it's weird that i'm the only one who get this bug. Thank you anyway.

Attachments

• GILGAMESH 1 4000 av. J.-C..Civ6Save
    235.2 KB · Views: 149
Ahh yeah I'm Rome , that'd be why ! ! :)

I think you've done most things pretty spot on actually !

How did you guys find the ai keeping up in science and culture ? I did a king play through as Rome and absolutely dominated them , like I was double the nearest civ , and I didn't bee line. So they do need those bonus', esspecially if they're not placing districts correctly. I think once someone comes out with an ai mod that changes the behaviour and build strategies , the pacing will need to be changed again . .

One more thing on Great People: would it be possible to tweak the values of some of the Great People to match the new scaling? I just got the X science per rain forest scientist and popped him in a rainforest hex completely surrounded by rain forest and was, well, rather underwhelmed with the result. I think it completed about 1/3rd of the tech I was working on.

Where you playing as Rome or did you get a relic from a goody hut? I didn't think I'd changed the values by that much. The original culture cost for the first few tiles were
10, 20, 35, 52,... (that's for each tile, not the cumulative total) and I changed that to 10, 15, 22, 32,...

I was still spending a lot of gold popping tiles until I had theatre districts set up, so I'm not sure I want to increase the costs back up. What are other people's experiences?
Would it be possible to tie border growth to eras? This would mean that true "nations" could become a thing from the renaissance onwards and more patchworky lands before except obvious civs that are outstanding in border growth.

Just saw this mod and about to install it. It looks great as far as what I've been hoping for. I've always felt that techs came a bit to fast while production just a bit slow in comparison and now with Civ VI techs are coming way to fast to the point one can't even keep up even if skip every wonder. I generally like huge maps and epic or marathon. Just want to say thanks for the hard work and looking forward to starting a new game with this.

Welcome to the forum Syanis![party] :beer::band: Always happy to see people enjoying the work I've done.

Making border speed change with era sounds good, but I think it's beyond the reach of what can be done with xml/sql only at the moment. Once the lua library is released this might be more accessible. I'm almost ready to release the next iteration of this mod, I'm waiting for more feedback on whether things are balanced.

The main changes will be:
Change the road speed bonuses to be multiples of 1/8, this will remove the need to modify the UI and should solve all the UI related issues
Halved the increase of GP cost at each era compared to Vanilla
Increased the science/culture given off by single use GP (such as Galileo) in line with the era they belong in
Increased the amount of food it takes large cities to grow (only noticeable for cities >6 or so, large effect for cities >20)

Thanks to everyone for the suggestions! On the main change of the mod - increasing the cost of techs and civics - do people feel the pace is about right now? Any era still going too fast or too slow?

Ahh yeah I'm Rome , that'd be why ! ! :)

I think you've done most things pretty spot on actually !

How did you guys find the ai keeping up in science and culture ? I did a king play through as Rome and absolutely dominated them , like I was double the nearest civ , and I didn't bee line. So they do need those bonus', esspecially if they're not placing districts correctly. I think once someone comes out with an ai mod that changes the behaviour and build strategies , the pacing will need to be changed again . .

The AI was doing ok on my last game. Three of them were runts but two were keeping up with me just fine. Until I conquered my weaker neighbours and completely exploded of course. I think the game needs some way to penalise conquered cities with less science and culture, even after the war is over. But that's for another mod ;)

Personally I find the pacing on epic speed to be perfectly agreeable to my tastes. You do have to really sprawl or focus science to progress later on and beelining is hard, but I think those are things that are probably fine. Beelining should be hard, and you should need to invest in science to some degree to progress at a reasonable rate. The flip side is in vanilla I found that my tech/culture would progress so fast it was hard to consistently boost techs past the Renaissance/Industrial age, with this mod I find that I am boosting 90% of the things I discover, so it kinda evens out.

Great People now feel better that I modified the progression to 1/1.1/1.25/1.40/1.55/1.70/1.85/2.0. But I'm still only about halfway through this new game so we'll see if that holds up!

There's only a finite number of Great People, so it might be very easy to run out of them quite early, without slowing down their acquisition.

Of course that's only going to be true until mods add a whole bunch of them. There's already a mod that adds one of each type.

The speed of tech in epic feels about right. Only have tried two games now and the first was a restart by turn 50. Oddly in that first game by turn 35 two AI had been killed off that I never met and come turn 50 a 3rd AI had been killed off. I was in last place on prince in everything. Anyways that game felt bugged and went whacked real quick so restarted. Come second game that I'm still on the pace on prince/epic feels nice and about right. The only complaint I have is that while I'm building legion and crossbowmen the AI in the lead it says with Conquest is my neighbor with tons of warriors, the odd spearman, and a couple of the horse archer guys of Egypt but that's an AI issue.

played a game with this mod and Madjinn's tech tree mod and lower warmonger penalty mod
Emperor, standard, continents

I set the era values as
Cost*1.1 EraType ='ERA_ANCIENT';
Cost*1.5 EraType ='ERA_CLASSICAL';
Cost*2 EraType ='ERA_MEDIEVAL';
Cost*2.6 EraType ='ERA_RENAISSANCE';
Cost*3.4 EraType ='ERA_INDUSTRIAL';
Cost*4.4 EraType ='ERA_MODERN';
Cost*5.6 EraType ='ERA_ATOMIC';
Cost*7 EraType ='ERA_INFORMATION';

I was Rome
The era's date and notes:

Ancient Era BC 4000 - BC 1800
Ai is ahead of me by some 50%

Classical Era BC 1800 - ca. AD100

AI Aztec gets to Medieval in BC 675

Medieval Era ca. AD100 - 1260

in AD 500 I get to the level of the AI in tech, bit behind them in Civis
in AD 1000 I attack my neighbour, the Aztec
and I conquer whole continent by the end of this era

Renaissance Era 1280-1550
AD 1300 AI USA is in Industrial, I guess it was some bee-lining
biggest score AI Scythia is in Industrial in 1500

Industrial Era 1550 - 1810

17th century: big USA-Scythia war on other continent with units of mixed eras
ca. 1700 I take a firm lead in tech, also lead in Civics
by the time I reach Modern Era, I have about 130% tech of the best AIs...

I stoped playing this game, as it is practically over...

as for emperor level:
Ancient can be longer, maybe 1.3
the others may be OK

I will play a test on a duel pangea map, emperor, quick speed,
me as England, AI as USA

I will let USA be normal size empire as long as I can also be that way
and see how we progress peacefully... :)

EDIT:
Um, Teddy rushed me over with ca. a dozen warriors in turn 40...
(OK, I settled my 2nd city close to him... but he might have decided his sneaky plans earlier...)

EDIT 2
I've changed my mind for next test game:
setting: tiny map, continents, quick:
me as Rome, AI as China - hopefully alone on separate continents...

Last edited:
Top Bottom