8 Ages of Pace

8 Ages of Pace v2.1.0 Release

Try building a few more campuses. You have to adjust to the new science/production ratio.

As for the AI, I find it's very spammy no matter what. I'd say go to a higher difficulty if they are too far behind, but that hardly matter
Yeah I realized that (and past the industrial era it didn't bother me personally anymore) but again that only resolves the problem for me, not the AI, so if anything the game is even easier than the vanilla game. Not saying that the AI doesn't spam units normally as well (because they certainly do) but it kinda reached a new level with this when they didn't even have a choice. It was more like Deity-amounts of units on Emperor. I didn't save a screenshot of it, but there was an inland sea on this map of about 100 hexes or so in size, and for most of the game almost every single one of those hexes was filled with an embarked horseman or knight belonging to either Norway or America. I also felt like there was more warfare than usual which might be a direct result of the AI wanting to use the additional units it got

Thanks for the feedback, I'd never seen it get so bad. Can you post your save file so I can dig around a little?

What era did this happen in? Was it after you had IZ and factories up everywhere?

Nah this was just before industrial zones . . I am running a few different mods , yours and smaller eureka boosts , shouldn't be anything boosting production , but I don't really want to run a vanilla game to find out if something is up haha

In SlowerEra.sql you can adjust the values in the table EraIncreases (lines 18-26 if I haven't changed my local copy). Currently the Industrial Era has 120, which means that it is 120% longer than default (220% the default length). If you make this number larger, the eras will pass slower.

@Littlebob it is possible that smaller Eureka boosts made the problem worse. It means that tech goes slower, so the AI is running out of buildings/districts to build and so spams units. As it has a tendency to not research dead end techs and pick the policy that gives +100% prod to cavalry units, this can cause spam of hundreds of horsemen.

In SlowerEra.sql you can adjust the values in the table EraIncreases (lines 18-26 if I haven't changed my local copy). Currently the Industrial Era has 120, which means that it is 120% longer than default (220% the default length). If you make this number larger, the eras will pass slower.

@Littlebob it is possible that smaller Eureka boosts made the problem worse. It means that tech goes slower, so the AI is running out of buildings/districts to build and so spams units. As it has a tendency to not research dead end techs and pick the policy that gives +100% prod to cavalry units, this can cause spam of hundreds of horsemen.

what's the max percentage? example i want to make industrial era longer about 10x

Don't think there is one, not until you hit overflow errors. You should definitely be fine with something like 1000

Oh sorry I wrote it wrong , I think because the ai has its boosts (smoother difficulty boosts them more ) , the ai are ok , it's me that's running out of buildings and spamming units , due to the techs I was researching . . So all my units were 1 turn for my capital (I had decent production) . .

I'm not sure what options I've got to increase building costs? I don't want to manually set each cost !

Ah I see. Well my first suggestion would be to build more campus so your science catches up with production. Working more farms over mines too, or 'upgrading' your units to corps and armies. Otherwise, you could do similar sql to me. Something like:
Code:
UPDATE Units Set Cost = Cost *2;
would double the cost of every unit (warning: completely untested). Or you could make it era dependent by using the same sort of logic I did for techs.

I'm very flattered to say that civfanatics user HadrianLP has started a Let's Play featuring this mod along with a couple of others. The first video is here, do have a look if you want to see what the game looks like with it

So I'm just going to copy this post to all mods I use, because I don't see how anything that isn't a mod can cause it, but I have no idea what it actually is.

(original was posted in bug report)

I don't even know what this is.

Icon: Settler.
Name: Swordsman.
Model: Warrior.
Strength: 25.

Might be a problem caused by mods, because I am running a bunch of them, but I just don't know anymore.

Mods:

AI Cleanup
Fix Unit Production Bug v1.0
Improved Tech Tree
TCS Improved Water Yields 1.2
8 Ages of Pace
AI+
Strategic Industry

------

First I let it go, but now I continued the game, and I came across a second one.

EDIT: Caused by Strategic Industry.

Last edited:
I think it should be compatible! From the description on reddit anyway. Btw, does that mod have a post in civfanatics? I much prefer discussing these things here

Hello LO,

Firstly, thanks for your work. I've been starting to dabble in modding civ 6. Unfortunately if you have a mod which sets the cost of a tech then it is not compatible with your mod. If seems that first the sql mod is applied, and then the mod to change the cost of the tech, and they are complete out of line.

Would you have any ideas on how to apply the cost of techs before the sql scaling factors your mod uses. I've tried to inlcude them in a single mod, and change the order, bu no effect.

Thanks.

Hello LO,

Firstly, thanks for your work. I've been starting to dabble in modding civ 6. Unfortunately if you have a mod which sets the cost of a tech then it is not compatible with your mod. If seems that first the sql mod is applied, and then the mod to change the cost of the tech, and they are complete out of line.

Would you have any ideas on how to apply the cost of techs before the sql scaling factors your mod uses. I've tried to inlcude them in a single mod, and change the order, bu no effect.

Thanks.

I haven't tried playing around with the mod load order, I have no idea how it works. If it does all .sql changes first, and then all .xml changes then things might be difficult. I suspect there's some way of setting mod order in .modinfo, but I don't know what it is. If you post in the general modding forum someone might know. Or if you can find out how it worked for Civ5 there's a good chance it will work for Civ6 too.

Hello LO,

Thanks.

Well like most things, i should have just looked more before asking a question. So i have sort-of resolved the issue. It looks like change the sql and the xml don't play too well together. So if you want to change an individual tech cost then you need to change it in the sql before you run the
UPDATE Technologies
SET Cost = ROUND(Cost + Cost*(SELECT EraIncreases.Increase
FROM EraIncreases
WHERE EraIncreases.EraType = Technologies.EraType)/100);

I think having two methods of modding, sql and xml, is going to cause some compatibility issues.
PS, i think i perfer the sql route.
PSS, i looking to release a mod, and would like to use some of your ideas/code. If i provide you credit are you happy for me to do so?

I haven't tried playing around with the mod load order, I have no idea how it works. If it does all .sql changes first, and then all .xml changes then things might be difficult. I suspect there's some way of setting mod order in .modinfo, but I don't know what it is. If you post in the general modding forum someone might know. Or if you can find out how it worked for Civ5 there's a good chance it will work for Civ6 too.

Thanks for the quick reply. Looks like the sql is run first regardless of the order in the modinit. and them the xml. I'm just going to move everthign into sql.

Yes, you're more than welcome to package the mod elsewhere.

The choice between xml and sql is an interesting one. I know some people use the latter exclusively but I prefer xml if I'm making single changes. I find it's more readable that way. Sql is of course unrivalled to make changes in many entries at once.

You can specify what files to load first in the Modinfo, You have seperate ID's for files you wish to load in a specific order, then set the order in Settings:-
Code:
       <!-- What files to update database with -->
       <UpdateDatabase id="HMP_TableChanges">
           <Items>
               <File>Gameplay/HMP_DeleteGameSpeeds.sql</File>
               <File>Gameplay/HMP_Types.xml</File>
               <File>Gameplay/HMP_GameSpeed.sql</File>
               <File>Gameplay/HMP_Gamespeed_Turns.sql</File>
               <File>Gameplay/HMP_Tables.sql</File>
           </Items>
       </UpdateDatabase>
       <UpdateDatabase id="HMP_TechTiers">
           <Items>
               <File>Gameplay/HMP_TechTiers.xml</File>
               <File>Gameplay/HMP_CivicTiers.xml</File>
           </Items>
       </UpdateDatabase>
       <UpdateDatabase id="HMP_HajeeNoBline">
           <Items>
               <File>Gameplay/DeletePre.xml</File>
               <File>Gameplay/TechTree.xml</File>
               <File>Gameplay/CivicTree.xml</File>
           </Items>
       </UpdateDatabase>
       <UpdateDatabase id="HMP_Components">
           <Items>
               <File>Gameplay/HMP_Farms.sql</File>
               <File>Gameplay/LW_Maps.xml</File>
               <File>Gameplay/Biao_Units.xml</File>
               <File>Gameplay/Biao_Unit_Abilities.xml</File>
               <File>Gameplay/MOAR_Units_Data.xml</File>
               <File>Gameplay/MOAR_Units.sql</File>
                <File>Gameplay/FasterRoads.xml</File>
                <File>Gameplay/FasterBorders.xml</File>
               <File>Gameplay/AdjustedPopGrowth.xml</File>
               <File>Gameplay/IP_EurekaBoost.sql</File>
               <File>Gameplay/IP_Main.xml</File>
               <File>Gameplay/IP_Policies.xml</File>
               <File>Gameplay/IP_DistrictBuilders.xml</File>
               <File>Gameplay/IP_Govs.xml</File>
               <File>Gameplay/IP_Districts.xml</File>
               <File>Gameplay/IP_Buildings.xml</File>
               <File>Gameplay/IP_GuidedMissile.xml</File>
               <File>Gameplay/HMP_Rules.sql</File>
               <File>Gameplay/HMP_WarWeariness.xml</File>
           </Items>
       </UpdateDatabase>
       <!-- Localized text files to add -->
       <LocalizedText id="HMP_Text">
           <Items>
               <File>Text/HMP_GamespeedText.xml</File>
               <File>Text/Biao_UnitText.xml</File>
               <File>Text/BetterTradeScreen_Text.xml</File>
               <File>Text/IP_PolicyTexts.xml</File>
               <File>Text/IP_Texts.xml</File>
               <File>Text/MOAR_Units_Text.xml</File>
               <File>Text/HMP_NaturalWonderText.sql</File>
           </Items>
       </LocalizedText>

Is the stuff I want to load in specific order. (Taken from a personal Modpack) Then you set the order in Settings:-
Code:
    <!-- Settings, Loaded at boot by the game engine-->
   <Settings>
       <Custom id="HMP_Setting">
           <Items>
               <!-- Update Configuration Database-->
               <File>Rules/HMP_Parameters.sql</File>
               <File>Rules/HMP_DeleteSpeeds_Config.sql</File>
               <File>Rules/HMP_Gamespeed_Config.sql</File>
               <File>Rules/LW_MapScripts.xml</File>
               <!-- Load order of Components, this is important. -->
               <Component>UI_Changes</Component>
               <Component>HMP_TableChanges</Component>
               <Component>HMP_TechTiers</Component>
               <Component>HMP_HajeeNoBline</Component>
               <Component>HMP_Components</Component>
               <Component>HMP_Text</Component>
           </Items>
       </Custom>
       <!-- Configuration Database Text -->
       <LocalizedText id="HMP_Setting">
           <Items>
               <File>Rules/HMP_GamespeedText_Config.xml</File>
           </Items>
       </LocalizedText>
   </Settings>

I do not think Olleus has added new Gamespeeds, yet. You should notice that Techs are slower to get from the Classical era onwards.

Looks like this mod is incompatible with the latest update. When you launch a new game it just resets back to the main menu.

Top Bottom