8 Ages of Pace

8 Ages of Pace v2.1.0 Release

Sorry, I don't have the Aztecs (bought the game off a cheap reseller) so I can't open it... It is possible that the mod would be incompatible with Aztecs DLC, but I dont see how. Would have expected an issue to come up before now too. Has anyone played this mod with the Aztecs in the game?

I've both played against and as the Aztecs with this mod and haven't encountered any crashes (due to this mod anyway, as far as I can tell).

Sorry, I don't have the Aztecs (bought the game off a cheap reseller) so I can't open it... It is possible that the mod would be incompatible with Aztecs DLC, but I dont see how. Would have expected an issue to come up before now too. Has anyone played this mod with the Aztecs in the game?

Haven't had an issue.

no problems here and i have Aztec DLC....also using whole bunch of mods and never used Detailworld mod

Also getting a crash around 70 turns in during the AI turns. Spoke to Rome then continued and crashed. Aztec DLC but crash is on Saladin's turn.

Reminds me of Civ IV :p

And it appears you can't remove mods once a game is underway, thats a shame. I understand why, but even just for debugging that could help.

Other mods, YnAMP and Detailed Worlds

Last edited:
Hmm, Detailed Worlds appears in many of these crashes....

You can kind of remove mods from a save file. Open up the relevant .modinfo and comments out using <!-- --> everything after settings (but leaving the final </Mod>). Not recommended for anything but debugging of course.

4am, I should have realised it would be that easy. Thanks for the heads up.

Ayway I tried it and no change. I've seen other ppl mention AI turn crashes and it could just be a builtin bug, not a mod bug. I'll test by going back a couple of turns and see if the same thing happens. This was the fix for civ iv.

Edit: And that didnt help. Even made sure the random seed had changed (have a look in logs\randcalls.csv to see them). So a decision is being made by Saladin that causes the crash.

Just to let you know, I was playing the same world for about 400 turns before I restarted (using the seed ) and added your pack.

Ack, should have mentioned, these final tests were with the wiped .modinfo so to me that suggests a friaxis issue.

Last edited:
Thanks for doing the test. Yes, if it crashes with the whipped modinfo I would think it's Firaxis. Sorry I can't be any more help.

Hmm, Detailed Worlds appears in many of these crashes....

You can kind of remove mods from a save file. Open up the relevant .modinfo and comments out using <!-- --> everything after settings (but leaving the final </Mod>). Not recommended for anything but debugging of course.

Thanks for this tidbit of info, I too did some testing with this method.
1. First I commented out the Detailed Worlds .modinfo, still had the same issue crashing during the Aztec turn.
2. Then I reset the Detailed Worlds .modinfo back to its prior state.
3. I commented out the 8 Ages of Pace .modinfo and the game progressed through to the next turn, no crashes. (I did not play the next turn)
4. Reset the 8 Ages of Pace .modinfo file and got the same crash to desktop.

The one behavior I did see is that one of the Aztec cities did grow from size 15 to 16, but that was just an observation. (This does not matter, see below)
I will see if I can narrow down the file which may have the issue, not sure how that will go if I can even comment out individual files or not.

Thanks again for all of the help! (Another game I started seems to be working dandy so far with the same 2 mods)

Edit: Narrowed it down to the FasterRoads.xml file, in particular the ROUTE_INDUSTRIAL_ROAD.

When I comment out this section it worked and progressed to the next turn.

After messing around with a bunch of other settings for this XML tag, I think it may be the MovementCost, I do not think the game itself (not the mod) can correctly figure out the movement in some cases. I updated this value to a bunch of other values (.38, .4, .5). When I set it to .5 it did work.

Either way, I believe it to be a Firaxis issue and not the mod. Hope some of this helps!

Last edited:
Thanks for debugging it!

That is a very strange error... Are you running the latest version of the mod? I set the industrial road movement to 0.375 as it is 3/8 which is 0.011 in binary, a non recurring fraction, so I dont understand why the game has trouble with it.

Also strange that this error only triggers some of the time, but not all the time.

Great mod! I downloaded it late last night and have had the "one more turn" syndrome like I haven't since Civ IV.

1. Do agree that it seems to take forever for cities to grow once you start creeping into the teens on pop.
2. There have been some instances where I have run out of things to build, but I find myself using district projects more now, and with the slower pacing, actually trying for specific great people because of it, which was highly satisfying.
3. I don't know if this is a bug, but I also seemed to be getting +3:c5faith: instead of +1:c5faith: from God-King. Not sure if a bug or intentional to help with the pacing. Was playing as Hojo and definitely did not have any yields or other source of faith I could find.

3. I don't know if this is a bug, but I also seemed to be getting +3:c5faith: instead of +1:c5faith: from God-King. Not sure if a bug or intentional to help with the pacing. Was playing as Hojo and definitely did not have any yields or other source of faith I could find.

Did you have an envoy in a religious city-state?

Just downloaded this. Question: Is the mod setted up to work only with standard gamespeed or I can choose whatever gamespeed I want and still the mod works?

Just downloaded this. Question: Is the mod setted up to work only with standard gamespeed or I can choose whatever gamespeed I want and still the mod works?
It globally lengthens the amount of science/culture it takes for each thing in the era. You probably shouldnt go on a slow gamespeed though because you'll end up with the problem of your production outperforming your science/culture and you'll finish everything before you research the next tech.

You can use whatever gamespeed you want. Everything is proportionally adjusted, so you'll end up with the same pacing changes on Marathon as you would on Quick.

I changed the boosts to 25 and it makes the AI finally keep up with the player and surpass him if you're not careful! I think it helps the AI more as it isn't very good in getting and using the boosts!

Did you have an envoy in a religious city-state?

I am 99% certain this was indeed the case, had an unnoticed religious city-state close that was conquered very early and didn't realize it until I went back to look at the name.

I changed the boosts to 25 and it makes the AI finally keep up with the player and surpass him if you're not careful! I think it helps the AI more as it isn't very good in getting and using the boosts!

I think this mod makes the 50% boost even more powerful for human players. Since the AI isn't competent enough to routinely leverage that advantage, the human player will have more time to metagame and plan for future boosts. Given that improving the AI is beyond the scope of this mod, I agree that knocking the boost down to 25% may be a reasonable means of giving the AI a more level playing field.

I don't know if this has been mentioned before, but if you use this mod with the rules of YNAMP (maps themselves work) then the game won't load and crash back to the main menu.

Top Bottom