1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

8 Ages of War v1.3.0 Release

Overhaul of promotions for land units as well as nerfing of ranged units and small boost to the mili

1. Lewi11

Lewi11 Chieftain

Did you just uncheck and check the mod in additional content?
    I still see code strings instead of English in the promotion panel. I've tried that and tried exiting to desktop and restarting the game but it doesn't fix it.

EDIT: The text is fine in single player. Just doesn't work in hotseat. Anyone know of a way to fix this?

Last edited: Nov 21, 2016
  2. Lewi11

Lewi11 Chieftain

The molded units descriptions were appearing as code strings when I played Hotseat so I moved your text file into the assets\text\en_US folder in the Game Directory. Now all non-modded unit descriptions are in German (or Dutch?).

I also did this with another mod so not sure if it's because of yours or not.

3. Olleus

Olleus Deity

The way the game handles modded unit strings is badly implemented. If you see capitals with lots of underscores, save, quit to desktop, and relaunch. Loading a savefile from within a game leads to this problem. No idea what happening with the German text though... Haven't seen this issue since Civ5

4. Lewi11

Lewi11 Chieftain

The code strings were appearing when I started a hotseat game straight after launching Civ 6. Copying my mods text files to the steamaps directory fixed it but made all non-modded unit descriptions German. If I'm the only one here who had this problem, I'm guessing it was from another mod.

Anyway, cutting and pasting the non-modded unit's descriptions from the game's text files in eng_us folder to a mod's text file fixed the problem!
    Now to cancel my German lessons.

Olleus likes this.
  5. Olleus

Olleus Deity

So I've taken the comments on board and have an update coming soon. I wanted to get people's opinion before releasing it. It mostly weakens horse units by making the anti-cavalry line far more potent.

I've tried to remove horses ability to fortify but that doesn't seem possible atm. Can't technically remove the bonus they get from defensive terrain either, but I can add a penalty to cancel it out. A big change is to increase the anti-cavalry bonus vs cavalry to +15. The base strength of these units has been increased and a *new* unit has been added, Fusilier, to fill the gap between pikeman and AT (which has been pushed back a little). The melee class bonus against anti-cavalry has been increased to +12 to compensate. Some new tech requirements have been added, most notably Horse Riding now requires Bronze Working, Stirrups requires Engineering and Replacement part requires Rifling. The new unit rota now looks like

Era Melee (+12) Anti-cav (+15) Heavy Cav Light Cav Archery Siege
    Ancient Warrior 20 Spear 28 Chariot 30 Slinger15/5(r1) Archer 15/5
    Classical Swords 35 Horseman 32 Catapult 25/13
    Medieval Pike 43 Knight 46 Crossbow 30/20
    Renaissance Musket 54 Bombard 45/33
    Industrial Fusilier 62 Cavalry 62 Field Gun 40/30
    Modern Infantry 72 Tank 72 Artillery 60/48
    Atomic AT Crew 80 Helicopter 80 Machine gun 70/60 (r1)
    Information Mech Infantry 90 Modern Armor 90 Rocket Artillery 85/78

Notice that the melee and anti-cav line now 'leapfrog' each other. So a spearman is better against cavalry than a swordsman, but a swordsman can take down a pikeman, which itself is better against cavalry than a musket etc... No longer will half your army be completely useless at any time. Secondly in the first half of the game, heavy cavalry comes at the same time as anti-cav, so is strongly countered. In the late game they are displaced, so there will be a window in which tanks are very powerful (but still counter-able, eg by a fusilier). I think that makes for good gameplay.

Also added a new series of policies that give +50% production towards anti-cav and siege units. Seemed odd that they didn't have any boost.

Personally, I think this strikes the right balance. Cavalry is weaker, but not without its uses. The anti-cavalry line provides a decent backup if you have no resources for swords/musket. But I'm interested in what people think. Increasing the cost of cavalry by ~25% and its upkeep by 1 across the board is on the books

6. mal_man

mal_man Chieftain

This mod looks great! Any idea when you might add mortar and paratrooper units? Or more upgrade paths for the Scout > Ranger ?

7. Olleus

Olleus Deity

I'll add a mortar when there are some semi reasonable graphics for it. I am planning to have a paratrooper as an upgrade to the ranger. Seems like it makes sense thematically, a light unit for reconnaissance and pillaging. No idea how to go about adding paratrooping as an actual ability though, will probably require some more modding tools being released.

8. Lewi11

Lewi11 Chieftain

Good idea. Unit Rebalance Mod 1.1 gives anti-cav units +20 bonus against cav. I'll have to decide between the 2.

9. Leyrann

Leyrann Deity

That would have to be something like 33% cheaper cavalry then, because a 50% boost to the next one is in gameplay actually the same as the current way for every unit after the first:

Imagine a unit costing 60 production:

Current: 60 production => 2 units, 60 production => 2 units, etc. (so basically 30 production per unit)
    Your proposal: 60 production => 1 unit + 50% of the next unit. 30/60 to 60 production => 1 unit + 50% of the next unit, etc. (first unit 60 production, every unit after 30 production)

Littlebob86 likes this.
  10. Littlebob86

Littlebob86 Prince

I see what you're getting at.. Although I don't know if it's a mod or vanilla, but I find soon enough horses only costing 4 turns.. Having two horses in 6 turns is still pretty good

11. Littlebob86

Littlebob86 Prince

Horses really need tweaked... Lame sumerian war carts are 1 maintenance, and like 30 odd strength, and 3-4 moves and probably don't require any resource because they're unique??

Lame!

Lol, I don't even know if that's accurate.. I just got raped by him demanding a suprise war by turn 50 with like, 5 of those carts and murdering everything :p

12. truetom

truetom Warlord

Watching this mod, might try it out later.
    One question: why don't you leave in the +1 range for siege units? Or maybe just for artillery in later ages?

13. Zodraslaus

Zodraslaus Chieftain

I love the work you have done here. It makes me want to work on my own mods. I've made mods for XCOM-2 but never for CIV what is a good way to go about learning the process?
    Also in your update you mention "Fixes return to main menu when launching game.". I have been experiencing this with other mods, is there a simple fix?

14. Gothic_Empire

Gothic_Empire AKA, Ramen Empire

So, in Hotseat (we haven't tried other multiplayer because Civ VI is pricey), 8 Ages of Wars promotions are all reduced to strings of code. =( I'd love to play with 8 ages of war with my office mates!

Any thoughts on how to fix this?

15. Lewi11

Lewi11 Chieftain

As Olleus pointed out above, try saving, quit to desktop and relaunch.
    But if that doesn't work, try copying the TextChanges.xml file from the mod into the folder: \Steam\SteamApps\common\Sid Meier's Civilization VI\Base\Assets\Text\en_US
    And don't delete the file from the mod folder. This has worked for me.

16. Mglo

Mglo Chieftain

I just want to say thank you. I installed and tried your mod today for the first time, having beaten the game on Deity with all possible mods to make it harder, and it made it fun again! Finally 3 Archers won't win you the game! Back to the drawing board... thanks! :D

17. Horem

Horem Emperor

Mind if we use this in our Mod?

18. Sesostris

Sesostris Chieftain

Regarding the unique units, would it possible that when you produce them, they simply already have the relevant promotion in their promotion tree? That removes the redundancy in ablities. On the other hand, it lets those unique units skip over a promotion and get to their final promotion faster, which makes them stronger than otherwise.

And regarding the samurai, could you make them upgrade from the warrior? It bugs me enormously that they're the only unique unit that I know which has to be produced from scratch instead of upgrading from you existing and experienced units.

19. Zhahz

Zhahz PC Gamer

Looked good til I saw the heal thing for melee units. That's as OP as double attacking ranged.

20. reee

reee Chieftain

archer is usles unit here and is so bad cut so this make me run wey from this mod to roken