1. We have added the ability to collapse/expand forum categories and widgets on forum home.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. All Civ avatars are brought back and available for selection in the Avatar Gallery! There are 945 avatars total.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. To make the site more secure, we have installed SSL certificates and enabled HTTPS for both the main site and forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Civ6 is released! Order now! (Amazon US | Amazon UK | Amazon CA | Amazon DE | Amazon FR)
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Dismiss Notice
  6. Forum account upgrades are available for ad-free browsing.
    Dismiss Notice

8 Ages of War v1.3.0 Release

Overhaul of promotions for land units as well as nerfing of ranged units and small boost to the mili

1. Atlas627

Atlas627 Chieftain

Ok, looks like that didn't actually fix the problem. Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't. I am now thinking that it is about the load order of *your own* files, since you do not specify load order of any of the files. I'm going to try messing around with that and see if it works.

Basically, without changing anything from load to load (always fresh games though), sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't.

2. Newman8r

Newman8r Chieftain

Im finding that my quadriremes and frigates cant land attack even when adjacent to the unit id like to attack since i started using this mod, any idea why or is this a bug?

3. Olleus

Olleus Warlord

That sounds like a bug... Is it that they cannot attack at all or they get the -1000 "cannot attack land" penalty? Are you sure you are at war with your target? A screenshot might make things clearer.

4. Olleus

Olleus Warlord

Ok, thanks for the diagnosis. I haven't really figured out how load order stuff really works in Civ6, sometimes it works as I expect and sometimes it seems to do nothing at all. When I have the time to devote to it I'll thoroughly fix this once and for all.

5. Newman8r

Newman8r Chieftain

I was attempting to attack a barbarian spearman on a coastal tile. I'll see if i cant find another one to try to attack. The ranged attack button was greyed out and there's no response on the unit when i attempt to right click to attack. They seem to attack naval units at range just fine.

6. Newman8r

Newman8r Chieftain

Olleus likes this.
  7. mythwisper

mythwisper Chieftain

This seems to be Incompatible with Quo's Combined tweaks, Any ideas on how to get these two to play nice?

8. Smity2k1

Smity2k1 Chieftain

I think this and Quo's both modify military so it doesn't make any sense to use them together.

9. FaerunPlayer

FaerunPlayer Chieftain

I also cannot attack land units with quadrireme (the ranged attack button is greyed out and unresponsive) .. but I could attack cities.

10. Olleus

Olleus Warlord

Okay, I've identified the ranged-class-naval-units-can't-attack-land-units-bug!! :)

It's because the game has changed the way the immortal works. If a unit has a higher melee strength than ranged strength, it counts as a melee unit that has the additional ability to perform a ranged attack. In 8AoW, all naval ranged units are in this category. You can see this by the way that a frigate can attack an enemy ship either by right clicking on it (performs a melee attack, both ships get damaged), or by selecting the ranged attack option manually (only the defender gets damaged). This means, however, than a quadrireme is seen as the game primarily as a melee naval unit, and so cannot attack land units.

I think I can get around this bug by giving +10 ranged strength to all relevant ships (so that the game sees them primarily as ranged units), while also giving them a promotion that gives -10 to all ranged attacks. Messy, but it should work. As an aside, I think that doing the opposite of this for naval hunters should prevent them from ever attacking land units without resorting to the -1000 penalty.

11. FaerunPlayer

FaerunPlayer Chieftain

changing the following in your NavalUnitChanges.sql does do the trick and now I have a super quad! ... thanks and looking forward to your fix but at least I can continue that game.

UPDATE Units --24/30 (r1m2)
    SET RangedCombat = RangedCombat - 1, Combat = Combat + 10, BaseMoves = BaseMoves - 1
    WHERE UnitType = "UNIT_QUADRIREME"
    OR UnitType IN (SELECT CivUniqueUnitType FROM UnitReplaces
    WHERE ReplacesUnitType="UNIT_QUADRIREME");

UPDATE Units --24/30 (r1m2)
    SET RangedCombat = RangedCombat + 10, Combat = Combat + 10, BaseMoves = BaseMoves - 1
    WHERE UnitType = "UNIT_QUADRIREME"
    OR UnitType IN (SELECT CivUniqueUnitType FROM UnitReplaces
    WHERE ReplacesUnitType="UNIT_QUADRIREME");

Just from curiosity, I did also try to increase the range of the quadrimere (by appending , Range = Range +1) but it doesn't work ... can you tell me why?

12. Olleus

Olleus Warlord

That should work, are you sure that the syntax (ie, commas) are all correct?

Generally changing the unit table affects new units but not existing one, so that might be what's happening here too.

13. FaerunPlayer

FaerunPlayer Chieftain

Hmm in this case it changed the existing one (increased RangedCombat) .. maybe thats why the Range increase didn't work though

14. PurpleMentat

PurpleMentat Videographer

Ran into an issue using this today. The Indonesian UU Jong, unlocked with the Mercenaries Civic in the Medieval Era, requires Niter. I assume this is inherited from your changes to the Frigate, which the Jong replaces for Indonesia.

15. Olleus

Olleus Warlord

Yes, that must be what happened. I'm assuming that the requiring Niter makes the Jong fairly useless at Mercenaries?

16. PurpleMentat

PurpleMentat Videographer

It definitely limits their utility, as you need equal specific progression in both Tech and Civics to use them. Further, it's a break in the normal UU design philosophy. None of the UUs require a strategic resource in unmodded. It does not seem as if your mod changes this across the board, or at least a quick look through the files trying to find if Legions require Iron or Saka Horse Archers require Horses came up empty.

Olleus likes this.
  17. Olleus

Olleus Warlord

I think I've solved some of the game-not-starting bugs. I've completely reworked the LoadOrder for 8AoW, if you've had these problems please try the version below and let me know if it works.

Other minor bug fixes included:
    Changes should consistently be applied to DLC units
    Longships no longer get a penalty attacking cities
    Jong no longer requires a resource

I have not yet fixed the NAVAL_RANGED_CLASS not being to attack land, that will take a bit more work, especially as I'm trying to have an elegant fix that doesn't confuse players.

Attached Files:

PurpleMentat and Atlas627 like this.
  18. Olleus

Olleus Warlord

Did this solve the loading order problem that caused games not too start? If so, I'd like to push this onto steam as soon as I've fixed the naval range issue

19. Atlas627

Atlas627 Chieftain

It seems to be working for me. It didn't work the first time but I disabled and re-enabled all my mods and now it's worked every time.

Also, is the Naval Hunter class really just an old class reworked? It would be annoying if all mods that try to effect all units through XML ended up not working for that because it's a new class =(

20. Olleus

Olleus Warlord

Does it work both for a new game and when loading an existing one?

It's a renamed version of the old PROMOTION_CLASS_NAVAL_RAIDER, and with a new ability. But I haven't gone through all the XML and changed the code-name of the class, only the display name. So it should be as compatible with DLC and mods as possible.

Atlas627 likes this.