1. We have added the ability to collapse/expand forum categories and widgets on forum home.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. All Civ avatars are brought back and available for selection in the Avatar Gallery! There are 945 avatars total.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. To make the site more secure, we have installed SSL certificates and enabled HTTPS for both the main site and forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Civ6 is released! Order now! (Amazon US | Amazon UK | Amazon CA | Amazon DE | Amazon FR)
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Dismiss Notice
  6. Forum account upgrades are available for ad-free browsing.
    Dismiss Notice

8 Ages of War v1.3.0 Release

Overhaul of promotions for land units as well as nerfing of ranged units and small boost to the mili

1. Olleus

Olleus Warlord

Thanks for the log @Thibalthc. I can't see anything wrong there, can you also post your database.log on the off chance there's something there?

CTD that late in the game sounds unusual, it's pretty hard to decipher. I'd ask for a savegame but I don't have the Australia DLC so won't be able to open it... It's possible that Australia is somehow the problem, do you know if their UU is being built/used?

2. Olleus

Olleus Warlord

No posts or complains here or on steam for a while, should I assume everything is working fine?

I wasn't planning to do any changes to this mod for a while, but I came across this post:

Which I think might work great! I was thinking of doing something along the lines of:
    A classical era card that improves spears, archers and chariots ("Tribal armies" a good name?)
    A medieval card that boosts swords, catapults and horsemen ("Military cast" ?)
    A renaissance card that boosts pikes, crossbows, and knights ("Ancien Regime" ?)
    An industrial card that boosts musket, cavalry, bombards ("Elan!" ?)
    A modern card that boosts Fusilier and Field Cannons ("Trench warfare" ?)
    An atomic card that boosts Infantry, Tanks and artillery ("Blitzkrieg" ?)
    An information card that boosts AT Crew, Helicopter and Mortar (old machine gun) ("Insurgency" ?)

I think a +4 boost for everything would work? It keeps the leap-frogging happening with upgrades every two turns, but makes the older unit strong enough to be more than cannon fodder (at the cost of a card). For reference, here is the current unit rosta:

Ranged Strength/Combat strength (m=moves, r=range)]
    Era Melee (+12 vs Anti-cav) Anti-cav (+15 vs cav) Heavy Cav Light Cav Ranged (-17 vs cities) Siege (-17 vs units) Recon
    Ancient Warrior 20 Spear 28 Chariot 30 (m3+1) Slinger15/5(r1) Archer 18/7 Scout 10 (m3)
    Classical Swords 36 (Iron) Horseman 34 (m4) (Horse) Catapult 28/16
    Medieval Pike 44 Knight 46 (m4) (Iron) Crossbow 34/22
    Renaissance Musket 54 (Niter) Cavalry 52 (m4) (Horse) Bombard 46/34 (Niter)
    Industrial Fusilier 62 Field Cannon 52/40 Ranger 55/45 (r1 m3)
    Modern Infantry 72 Tank 72 (m4) (Oil) Artillery 68/52
    Atomic AT Crew 80 Helicopter 80 (m5) (Aluminum) Machine Gun 70/58 (r2)
    Information Mech Infantry 90 (m3) Modern Armor 90 (m4) (Uranium) Rocket Artillery 84/64 (r3)

Uberfrog, Atlas627 and Kurtbob like this.
  3. Thibaulthc

Thibaulthc Chieftain

Hello Olleus
    Currently playing two games with your two mods, everything going quite fine
    Only thing that bothers me is that I can upgrade my hunters (privateer, sub,...) by attacking cities or land units because even with the -1000, it still always make a one point damage. (ai seems not to attack them, is it considering their dangerousness?)

I'm fortunately crushing the AI (despite ai+ on emperor) so I can't say if they use hunter naval units to attack land.

4. Thibaulthc

Thibaulthc Chieftain

As for the eventual new policies boosting units from an earlier era, I like the idea but +4 for 3 different units sounds a bit OP for a single policy card?

5. Olleus

Olleus Warlord

Yes, that is unfortunate, but with the current state of modding I don't know how to prevent it. I believe that the AI takes the -1000 into account and so chooses not to use the naval hunters in that way, so a potential huge problem is avoided. It might possible with lua scripts to prevent them from attacking it at all, but I don't know how.

Possibly yes... but remember that those units are (by construction) the very weakest units that are not obsolete. Even with +4, a spearman is no threat for a swordsman. But of course, I'm always happy to adjust the values. What do you think would work?

6. Thibaulthc

Thibaulthc Chieftain

Good point. You're right. I was more concerned by the "to every older units" point, but still, the weakest ones as you said. I'd be happy to try that on my next game

Olleus likes this.
  7. MagicCuboid

MagicCuboid Chieftain

I've been enjoying your mod alongside 8 Ages of Pace! I was using Combat Stacking Overhaul, but your promotions seem much more balanced/less exploitable.

I was wondering - what does the Heavy Cavalry promotion "Breakthrough" do? It says "+1 attack per turn," but that makes it sound like it gets stronger every turn for the rest of the game?

8. Olleus

Olleus Warlord

Thanks for the kudos, always nice to hear.

It means it can perform one additional attack per turn.

9. MagicCuboid

MagicCuboid Chieftain

Hah, I should have known that! Thanks a lot for clarifying

10. Thibaulthc

Thibaulthc Chieftain

I think I already read something about it but I can't find it again : my units are healing twice every turn. Is it a bug? Might it be related to 8ages? Thanks in advance for the help

11. Olleus

Olleus Warlord

That's very strange, I can't think of anything from 8AoW that could have caused it, but bugs can do weird things. Just to rule something out, how much are your units healing by? Whose territory are they in? Do you have any medics/apostles/cities with pantheons nearby? A before and after screenshot should help.

12. Thibaulthc

Thibaulthc Chieftain

I'll try some screenshots tonight.
    But it looks like it happens in every territory, any situations. I can see the +x over the unit appearing twice in a row every turn.
    Happened with and without medic.
    Ive activated some Great Scientist who gives +5 to every unit every turn, maybe it's related

13. Thibaulthc

Thibaulthc Chieftain

I just started a new game with , aonst other ones, 8AoW and Biao's strategic mod: it seems to have no comtability issues. (8aow gives modifiers, biao sets new combat numbers)
    Biao seems to work properly for the AI (update units, has the +5 bonus when has the strategic ressource) BUT it doesn't work for me , with traded resources or resources gained from CS :(
    Any help on that welcome, I can't find any postabout Biao's mod (reddit discussions closed)

14. Thibaulthc

Thibaulthc Chieftain

I can confirm you it was happening with our without medics, in or out of my territory.

on thoses screen shot , you can see the AT crew at 58 health on turn 442 (yeah it was a ong game!) and 98 on the next turn. It clearly received twice the 20 normal rate (15 inside territory and 5 from GS)
    Spoiler :

sorry I couldnt get a Screen Shot when we see the two numbers appear at the same time :(

Olleus likes this.
  15. Thibaulthc

Thibaulthc Chieftain

Another thread, @Olleus :
    What do you think about Biao's strategic mod, the part where we don't require any more strategic resources to build / upgrade units, but having the resource on the territory cancels the - 5 penalty.

Im trying playing a game with both Biao's and 8AoW, which works... Well it works.
    But I think it sometimes load his values (set combat = 30)first then yours (set combat =combat-5) and sometimes in the other way.
    Also frigate is missing and trading the resource doesn't work which is lame, but I really like the idea because it helps a lot THE AI and the CS.
    I tried tweaking a bit both mods to work better together, but my modding skills are just inexistent :(
    So... If you think that's a good approach to. Help ai without making strategic resources useless, maybe you'd like to consider adding something like that in 8aow?

Biao's not on civ fanatics I think, and his reddit topics about this mod are closed :(

16. Olleus

Olleus Warlord

I did consider incorporating Biao's mod into mine, but decided not to in the end. I think this was discussed on this thread some time ago if you want to go hunting for it. But I still think it's an interesting idea.

I gave 8AgesOfWar a very low loading priority, so it *should* normally load after almost everything else. Unless, of course, Biao has an even lower priority but that seems unlikely. A good way to check is to open up modding.log, scroll most of the way to the bottom where it tells you (in order) which mods are applied to the game.

Generally speaking however, getting two mods which affect the same game system playing together is a bit tricky and requires a fair bit of debugging.

Thibaulthc likes this.
  17. Thibaulthc

Thibaulthc Chieftain

thanks for clarifying things!
    I'm incorporating the combats differences into your files, hopefully it will work :p

Olleus likes this.
  18. Olleus

Olleus Warlord

Let me know if it does!

Btw, it's highly likely that R&F will break most mods anyway, and I don't intend to buy the expansion straight away, so the mod is unlikely to get fixed for a few months

19. Thibaulthc

Thibaulthc Chieftain

It does work very well; my only remaining problem is that Biao's mod need you to have a Mine on the Resource to work, it doesnt work with a District on it nor by trading the resource , so lets say it's pretty broken...

I guess I will play without mods after R&F is online...for a few days :D

20. thecrazyscot

thecrazyscot Spiffy

@Olleus Might be worth checking out Deliverator's newest release, I remember you were looking for a mortar asset a while back.

Olleus likes this.