1. We have added the ability to collapse/expand forum categories and widgets on forum home.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Photobucket has changed its policy concerning hotlinking images and now requires an account with a $399.00 annual fee to allow hotlink. More information is available at: this link.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. All Civ avatars are brought back and available for selection in the Avatar Gallery! There are 945 avatars total.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. To make the site more secure, we have installed SSL certificates and enabled HTTPS for both the main site and forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Civ6 is released! Order now! (Amazon US | Amazon UK | Amazon CA | Amazon DE | Amazon FR)
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Dismiss Notice
  7. Forum account upgrades are available for ad-free browsing.
    Dismiss Notice

8 Ages of War v1.3.0 Release

Overhaul of promotions for land units as well as nerfing of ranged units and small boost to the mili

1. Olleus

Olleus Warlord

Thanks for the log @Thibalthc. I can't see anything wrong there, can you also post your database.log on the off chance there's something there?

CTD that late in the game sounds unusual, it's pretty hard to decipher. I'd ask for a savegame but I don't have the Australia DLC so won't be able to open it... It's possible that Australia is somehow the problem, do you know if their UU is being built/used?

2. Olleus

Olleus Warlord

No posts or complains here or on steam for a while, should I assume everything is working fine?

I wasn't planning to do any changes to this mod for a while, but I came across this post:

Which I think might work great! I was thinking of doing something along the lines of:
    A classical era card that improves spears, archers and chariots ("Tribal armies" a good name?)
    A medieval card that boosts swords, catapults and horsemen ("Military cast" ?)
    A renaissance card that boosts pikes, crossbows, and knights ("Ancien Regime" ?)
    An industrial card that boosts musket, cavalry, bombards ("Elan!" ?)
    A modern card that boosts Fusilier and Field Cannons ("Trench warfare" ?)
    An atomic card that boosts Infantry, Tanks and artillery ("Blitzkrieg" ?)
    An information card that boosts AT Crew, Helicopter and Mortar (old machine gun) ("Insurgency" ?)

I think a +4 boost for everything would work? It keeps the leap-frogging happening with upgrades every two turns, but makes the older unit strong enough to be more than cannon fodder (at the cost of a card). For reference, here is the current unit rosta:

Ranged Strength/Combat strength (m=moves, r=range)]
    Era Melee (+12 vs Anti-cav) Anti-cav (+15 vs cav) Heavy Cav Light Cav Ranged (-17 vs cities) Siege (-17 vs units) Recon
    Ancient Warrior 20 Spear 28 Chariot 30 (m3+1) Slinger15/5(r1) Archer 18/7 Scout 10 (m3)
    Classical Swords 36 (Iron) Horseman 34 (m4) (Horse) Catapult 28/16
    Medieval Pike 44 Knight 46 (m4) (Iron) Crossbow 34/22
    Renaissance Musket 54 (Niter) Cavalry 52 (m4) (Horse) Bombard 46/34 (Niter)
    Industrial Fusilier 62 Field Cannon 52/40 Ranger 55/45 (r1 m3)
    Modern Infantry 72 Tank 72 (m4) (Oil) Artillery 68/52
    Atomic AT Crew 80 Helicopter 80 (m5) (Aluminum) Machine Gun 70/58 (r2)
    Information Mech Infantry 90 (m3) Modern Armor 90 (m4) (Uranium) Rocket Artillery 84/64 (r3)

Uberfrog, Atlas627 and Kurtbob like this.
  3. Thibaulthc

Thibaulthc Chieftain

Hello Olleus
    Currently playing two games with your two mods, everything going quite fine
    Only thing that bothers me is that I can upgrade my hunters (privateer, sub,...) by attacking cities or land units because even with the -1000, it still always make a one point damage. (ai seems not to attack them, is it considering their dangerousness?)

I'm fortunately crushing the AI (despite ai+ on emperor) so I can't say if they use hunter naval units to attack land.

4. Thibaulthc

Thibaulthc Chieftain

As for the eventual new policies boosting units from an earlier era, I like the idea but +4 for 3 different units sounds a bit OP for a single policy card?

5. Olleus

Olleus Warlord

Yes, that is unfortunate, but with the current state of modding I don't know how to prevent it. I believe that the AI takes the -1000 into account and so chooses not to use the naval hunters in that way, so a potential huge problem is avoided. It might possible with lua scripts to prevent them from attacking it at all, but I don't know how.

Possibly yes... but remember that those units are (by construction) the very weakest units that are not obsolete. Even with +4, a spearman is no threat for a swordsman. But of course, I'm always happy to adjust the values. What do you think would work?

6. Thibaulthc

Thibaulthc Chieftain

Good point. You're right. I was more concerned by the "to every older units" point, but still, the weakest ones as you said. I'd be happy to try that on my next game

Olleus likes this.