8 City Challenge

Wow didn't even notice the rule being broken. Yeah we'll have to replay the set, and for punishment Cripp has to do it.

Okay okay. I can't believe I actually did that! I still have my notes and still written them down. So I don't mind playing it again.

In hindsight I shouldn't have hired the scientists. Looking at the two cities that Wang has, I'd be inclined to take those two cities and leave the rest of the continent for him. Not having to raze any,. We would only have to "you declared war on us" (does that always stay or does it fade over time?).

So the choice is up to for you as the team:
Replay or reroll? Since we already know future events, I'm still not too sure about the GP farm being NE of the pig.

Or just reroll a new game?

Yeah, replay is fine as long as we try to make identical moves otherwise.

I'm still wondering why our new city should be GP city, instead of science... I don't see any better alternative for riverside cottages.

Heh, that's a good excuse, don't stress about it! :D (And not saying just because you agree with the science city ;))

For me that's a yes, especially as the game was already played that way. Well, that would be my opinion otherwise as well ;)

Replay
IHT-
2pop :whipped: worker

Turn 96-
Capital worker > library
cottage done, send worker to connect with Wang
settler keeps going to pig site

Turn 97-
workers chop in Cap

Turn 98-
settle Science city start obelisk

Turn 99-
Conf spreads to Science so I switch granary

Turn 100-
Capital library > axe
barbs are starting to encroach now

Turn 101-
chop goes into axe for barb archer

Turn 102-
Capital axe > settler
axe kills barb archer on our corn
Money hires archer for encroaching barb

Turn 103-
Science city archer gets attacked twice, promoted to CGI
Money :whipped: archer
chop into settler

Turn 104-
IW > Alpha
Capital switch to archer
cancel cottage for iron

Turn 105-
Money archer gets attacked twice, promoted to CI and moves SW to fogbust

Turn 106-
chop into settler

Turn 107-
zzz

Turn 108-
road to Wang +2:commerce:
:science: to 0%
2 workers mine iron while the other goes towards Money

Turn 109-
Capyal settler > archer
settler goes to Naval Port

Turn 110-
archer fends off barb archer

Turn 111-
Capital archer > worker spam
settler ready 1N of marble to settle

That's 15 turns, no scientists hired and followed same plan.
I think Capital should worker spam now for all the jungle.
Money City will border pop next turn to block Wang to the east somewhat.
Wang did settle the gold fish to our NE

Attachments

• 8 City Challenge BC-1225.CivBeyondSwordSave
    118.1 KB · Views: 56
Ok looking at the save, settler 1N of the marble is for naval city right? Just making sure, and the BFC outlined down in the SW is military or prod?

As regards tech I think get to c.160g before putting on the tap again to get Alpha. After that we could go for Aesth>Lit for the GLib in Science. Otherwise it's the usual Maths>Curr route. I like the GLib especially for the variant but if we are going to REX a Currency run would help.

On builds we need to whip out workers in all our cities, 3 is not enough for the set-up period. So I'll be looking towards doing that as soon as possible everywhere. The cap could also get out another Settler>Archer combo too for the SW city.
Science is to be mainly farmed (with cottages thrown in) and Money the opposite, mostly cottages, some farms.

As regards foreign relations, it's a pity we only have copper to give Wang to try and cement Friendly early, I'd consider it especially as we're about to hook up our iron. But if we're considering a war then I'd rather keep him away from the metals as long as possible.

I'll play either tomorrow or Sunday, depending on what time I get up.

Hmm... according to variant, the spot should be our military city. "best EARLY location of a production". That would be fine by me, we have other spots for naval cities.

Another thing I'm wondering is why Alphabet now? Only thing that comes to my mind is Monarchy trade with Wang later on, but otherwise there's not much to trade. He's not friendly yet. I feel like we would be better off with Mathematics -> Calendar and maybe Mononotheism for organized religion.

Speaking of research, we need Fishing for our next city and can research it in 3 turns. I suggest we do that right away.

Some dotmap attemps (mostly stolen ideas ;)). Please comment and suggest alternatives :)

First near our core:

Definitely not sure about production site, but it has a lot of hills and lot of grasslands... Please find a better alternative especially for this! :D

Then it get's even more tricky... Far far to the south:

Yeah, that far :)

So I'll just throw this option out here again:

:devil:

On builds we need to whip out workers in all our cities, 3 is not enough for the set-up period. So I'll be looking towards doing that as soon as possible everywhere. The cap could also get out another Settler>Archer combo too for the SW city.
Science is to be mainly farmed (with cottages thrown in) and Money the opposite, mostly cottages, some farms.

Agree with these, except I'd also put mostly cottages in our science city :)

Well I think our "gloroius" leader (well glorious for a Phoenix Rising member :p) has decided to fudge the rules a bit on the city site with the settler.

And maybe you're right on the cottages in science city too. I was thinking more in the lines of a Caste science city.

Problem with your proposed production city is that it clashes with the good naval site down the coast (in that they'll be sharing hills unless we go all out plains/desert for naval base). But I cannot see to much else, without having a big hole in the middle of our core.

Problem with your proposed production city is that it clashes with the good naval site down the coast (in that they'll be sharing hills unless we go all out plains/desert for naval base). But I cannot see to much else, without having a big hole in the middle of our core.

True, that's the reason why I moved it 1S from the original Matrix's proposal. Loses only one hill, and shares one with production site. If we make this Naval site, coast becomes an ok tile with Moai, so not a big deal.

Top Bottom