800x600 resolution possible?

Undisclosed

Chieftain
The lowest resolution that you can have is 1024x724, does anyone know how to lower it and make it 800x600?

I'd assume his reason would be that at a lower resolution, the load on the vid card/system wouldn't be as great.

If you edit the _Civ4Config.ini file in ..\Firaxis Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 4 or wherever, you can change to a custom resolution.

Change the 0s to other numbers, though I must say, I haven't actually tried this.

ScreenHeight = 0

; Custom Screen Resolution, ex: 1200x1200 - Normal resolutions can be set in-game and will be used when both values are set to 0
ScreenWidth = 0

the lower resolution doesn't work. I really hope that there is some way to use direct x8 shaders for this game. I am getting 7 fps and it is completely unplayable.

I want lower resolution so my game is plays faster. It's a bit laggy right now because I only have a 32MB card. I used the config ini file by editing the

ScreenHeight: 800

and

ScreenWidth: 600

But it doesn't change.

perhaps the coders would have added the 800x600 in the options menu if they wanted us to have the posibility to play in the selected resolution.
All the new games almost never uses 16bit graphic any more. They all use 32bit and high resolution. Great if you have a machine that can handle it, but sucks if you got a machine that has a 6 year birthday this month.

You can run at 800x600. I've done it. My reason is that I have a handheld pc (sonyU71) that only has an 800x600 screen. Hardly outdated technology but a small screen nonetheless.

You need to set Civ4 to run in windowed mode. It will then start in a 1024x768 window. Then maximise the window, and it will adjust itself to your desktop size (i.e. 800x600). You can then use the 'shiftwindow' program (mentioned somehwere else in the forums) to make it appear like it's running in full screen (it makes the window just slightly larger than your desktop).

Unfortunately there is a bug (still present in 1.61) that makes the cursor pick up info on the wrong tile after you maximise, doesn't matter what your resolution is. It's annoying but you can still play. For me, that means Civ4 in my pocket!

Top Bottom