Starcraft based game?

Mr. Guy

Chieftain
I wanna make a civ modpack based on starcraft
I have civ tot, so i would easily have the different races
The upgrade buildings would be different techs
yeah, that's about it

When you say based on starcraft, do you mean set in space itself? There are a couple of modpacks with decent outer space graphics you could borrow, using planets or stars as resources - better than simply turning the ocean squares black and having irregularly-shaped "planets" of regular land terrain.

no, it would probably be more based on the badlands terrain set mixed with jungle terrain set

OK, this is gonna be my agenda for making the modpack... tell me if i need to change or add anything
1)create initial unit list and unit stats
2)get ideas for city upgrades(i need ideas from you)
3)get ideas for wonders(i need ideas from you)
4)create tech tree
5)create unit graphics
6)create city graphics
7)create terrain graphics
7b)create resource icons
8)wonder how in the world i can get the special units do do their special stuff(think about an events file)
9)make final unit stats
10)make final terrain stats
11)create city improvment, wonders, and science advance icons
12)create names for races
13)figure out anything else i need to do and do it

Woohoo! I like this!
Hmm, since unit availability is defined by tech tree and not city buildings, that might be the main problem...

I'm making it so you have to "reaserch" the buildings to make the units.

Wonder suggestions:

Cyber-telephathy Nexus (effect of UN or Marco Polo)
Hubble Space Telescope mark 10
Ultimate Subspace Antenna
Cape Canaveral??
Wormhole Generator
Star Ladder (surface-orbit elevator, from Call to Power)
Skynet Defense (dodgy one that...).

I actually toyed with the idea of making a Starcraft scenario a couple of years ago. I ripped a bunch of units and terrain, but never ended up taking it much further. Here's a staged screenshot:

Attachments

• scscreen.gif
    scscreen.gif
    100.6 KB · Views: 507
Indeed, it's nice... But it's for TOT :D

Make one for MGE or Classic and we might have a hit!

U think i could use those units and the terrain?
the only thing is, are those units a sprite or normal, I'd like to use spites, but it's harder to make them

Umm, whatever you feel comfortable with... Sprites are indeed nicer.

How are you going to simulate "special powers" of some units?

To simulate special powers, i'm gonna try to use the events.txt file or try to see if someone could code a trainer type deelie that could modify stuff during the game (it would run while the game is running). Although the only problem is that i don't know if the computer would be able to use this. Otherwise, i could make units have a super advantage over other units(eg. a science ship would have a super advantage over biological type units)

Originally posted by Mr. Guy
U think i could use those units and the terrain?
the only thing is, are those units a sprite or normal, I'd like to use spites, but it's harder to make them
Sorry, but the units in that screenshot are bmps, not sprites. The terrain is already available in the 24-bit terrain collection on my website.

Originally posted by Mr. Guy
To simulate special powers, i'm gonna try to use the events.txt file or try to see if someone could code a trainer type deelie that could modify stuff during the game (it would run while the game is running).
I hope you have an idea of what you're in for. For creating ToT sprites, you'll need Mercator's CivSprite utility (found at his site). This will also allow you to apply team colours to the units through the use of the mask layer. However, before you even get to this stage you're going to have to rip the frames from Starcraft and in some cases, resize them, making sure to remove any resulting anti-aliasing. As far as the trainer is concerned, the closest thing I can think of is Angelo Scotto's CSPL (also found at Mercator's site, but there's a better description of it here at Kull's) and that's going to require some C/C++ coding ability.

Yeah, I could try to wrk with CSPL, although I have no coding experience with C/C++, I can at least try, right? If I can get good at JAVA Programming quickly, why not C/C++?

C++ is a lot like Java, and I'm experienced in both (I'm paid for programming, you know ;)), so please ask me any doubt you would have.

About events: the problem of events and traines is that the AI is unable to take advantage of this, because the AI "doesn't know" the events... I'd dare to say that this scen could be great for MP if you use events or trainee, though :D

(trainers problems: they're only for PC [Unless you rewrote it for MAC, of course].... Alas, I don't know if there is a TOT version for PC)

Top Bottom