-86 Diplomacy Penalty for Different Governments with All Civs

steveg700

Deity
Came back after a long break to try the new DLC leaders. I adopted a tier 4 government and whammo, -86 diplomatic penalty with all civ's. A penalty so big that it overwhelms all positives and results in waves of denouncements from any civ not already locked into a friendship. Do I'm not currently es this penalty decrease over time or some other way? Is it another reason not to stick with Democracy? :)

EDIT: I originally said tier 3. I meant tier 4 (the future era).

Last edited:
Came back after a long break to try the new DLC leaders. I adopted a tier 3 government and whammo, -86 diplomatic penalty with all civ's. A penalty so big that it overwhelms all positives and results in waves of denouncements from any civ not already locked into a friendship. Do I'm not currently es this penalty decrease over time or some other way? Is it another reason not to stick with Democracy? :)
I wondered about whether this being a bug quite a while ago...

Just noticed that I goofed up and said tier 3. I meant adopting a tier 4 government (Synthetic Theocrracy)..

The big difference there being, of course, that it makes it a lot harder to distinguish whether this is an oddity or normative simply because tier 4 governments generally aren't an issue for many here. They just won't come up unless the player is playing pretty casually (like I am) and not rushing to finish line.

Plus, the way some tier 3's work, players are discouraged from swapping out of them as Firaxis imposed that weird design decision where the policies unlocked with those governments can only be taken while having that specific government (so, for instance, leaving Democracy means no longer having a policy for getting bonus housing).

Last edited:
Top Bottom