9 Most Wanted Civs Post BNW

Switzerland - obviously commerce-based civilization with unique pikemen.
Sioux - Some kind of cavalry UU and unique pasture replacement.
Great Seljuq Empire - these guys should have been included earlier. The medieval history is not complete without them. UU - Mameluke.
Zaporozhian Sich - they may take Cossacs as UU and have a weaker palace replacement that appears in every founded city.
Khmers - don't know why they were excluded after Civ IV.
Hittites - cool ancient era civilization. They may have melee chariot replacement.
Toltec - one more mesoamerican civilization. They should be the cultural powerhouse.

Have no ideas for two more. May be Lithuania and Hungary?

Hittites would be awesome. They can even come with some interesting scenario, since Ramses II is already in the game, so you could play Battle of Kadesh scenario. :lol:

They are also one of the first civilizations to have bio-weapon of ancient world, if you think about it. They did send diseased cattle to Egyptian boarders. :lol:

As I mentioned, Hungary is already covered by Austria, but it could be interesting to see Hungary of their pre-Austro-Hungarian days.

Sioux :goodjob: good one. Would be nice to see another cavalry civ, because so far, there are only Mongols.

Hungary is already covered by Austria

Huuuh? Hungary's history is much much more reacher than this "marriage" episode (being ~50 years only).

1. Hungary (because I would like to see Polish-Hungarian alliance).
2. Lithuania (real Lithuania, not Samogitia called "Lithuania" nowadays, but from period of Polish-Lithuanian commonwealth)
3. Ukraine
4. Sumerian

I think some ppl need to look at this in two ways. First of all the really important civs should be in the game, and for the most part they are. These are the ones who in one way or another represent the old birthplaces for civilizations, Mesopotamia, Nile river, Yellow river, Indus Valley etc. Then there is the major powers who have helped shape the world into what it is today. And obviously there will be a major European and to some extend Asian bias in doing so. The reasons are pretty obvious but just consider that we talk about civilizations, ages, eras and we are really talking about the development of Euro-Asia (and the new world that really is an extension of Europe).
But the major thing with the Civ series and the second thing to think about is the "what if" feeling and this allows us to play with smaller, less developed civilizations that did not stand the test of time IRL or simply did not make an significant mark on history but can be a really fun challenge to try and accomplish something with in the digital world.
I think the Shoshone is one of the most fun civ to play with, even funnier and easier to win with then Rome or even China. Is that realistic? No but it is fun.
Building tanks and nuclear missiles as the Songhai or the Zulus and completely dominate the world is awesome even do they did not even invent the wheel IRL. Is it realistic? No, but it is fun.
Even the variety of playing well known civs with a well known strength can be fun. Play as the Mongols but focus on naval superiority. Play as India and be a warmonger. Play as the Aztecs and go for a diplomatic or cultural victory etc.

Edit: There are a lot better games to play if the player want that historical feeling. Empire under the sun is highly recommended. You can play most nations empires that existed during the 19th century.

There are several reasons to include a civ in the game. Most of the posts in this thread have been completely subjective, "wish lists" from a personal perspective. Which is good feedback for the devs, but ignores a more objective evaluation. Other posts have gone into history, this civ did this or did that. Again, ignoring an objective evaluation.

A couple of years ago I made up a prototype evaluation system for Civ4. It's here somewhere. It included subfactors such as:
  • represents an under-represented geographical region
  • cultural impact or achievements
  • scientific impact or achievements
  • historical impact or achievements
  • resonates with a current market/audience (increases game sales and outreach)
  • represents an under-represented time period
  • military impact or achievements
  • historical longevity

Grade a potential civ on some kind of rating scale for each factor. Then, attempt to weight the factors, keeping in mind that the weights themselves may be fluid or potentially subjective.

A civ might be considered more worthy of inclusion the more factors it grades higher on, or the higher its total average rating, or other. And, some might be worthy of inclusion based on a single factor.

Even simply going through the process will give a lot of feel for what's worthy and what isn't. This would certainly be as useful as a supplement or counterpoint to all of the anecdotal wish lists and historical chest beating. ;)

Spoiler :
There are several reasons to include a civ in the game. Most of the posts in this thread have been completely subjective, "wish lists" from a personal perspective. Which is good feedback for the devs, but ignores a more objective evaluation. Other posts have gone into history, this civ did this or did that. Again, ignoring an objective evaluation.

A couple of years ago I made up a prototype evaluation system for Civ4. It's here somewhere. It included subfactors such as:
  • represents an under-represented geographical region
  • cultural impact or achievements
  • scientific impact or achievements
  • historical impact or achievements
  • resonates with a current market/audience (increases game sales and outreach)
  • represents an under-represented time period
  • military impact or achievements

Grade a potential civ on some kind of rating scale for each factor. Then, attempt to weight the factors, keeping in mind that the weights themselves may be fluid or potentially subjective.

A civ might be considered more worthy of inclusion the more factors it grades higher on, or the higher its total average rating, or other. And, some might be worthy of inclusion based on a single factor.

Even simply going through the process will give a lot of feel for what's worthy and what isn't. This would certainly be as useful as a supplement or counterpoint to all of the anecdotal wish lists and historical chest beating. ;)

Sounds like a good formula even do it is subjective, like most of these things are anyway.

Edit: Would like to add that one requirement should be unique cities and leaders.

What regions still need representation? Off the top of my head (and not all are important enough to represent TBH):

Yukon
Caribbean
Central Africa
Siberia
Central Asia
Australia

Can anyone think of anything else that isn't in the immediate vicinity of these regions?

Parts of South America (Argentina, Colombia, etc.) and Southern Africa (Great Zimbabwe).

I'd love to see Slavs, hardly a civilization but they were (and still are) a huge group of people.
Also Vandals, my favorite.

I'd love to see Slavs, hardly a civilization but they were (and still are) a huge group of people.
Also Vandals, my favorite.

Slavs? Should we merge Germany, Sweden, Denmark, France and England in to Germanic civ then?

Poland and Russia are in the game. Perhaps something that represent the Balkans slavic ppl could be added but that seem to much of a hot topic.

I'm still waiting on my Neanderthal DLC. It's appalling how H. sapiens are represented, but H. neanderthalensis is not. This is only because of some people's internal biases.

I'm still waiting on my Neanderthal DLC. It's appalling how H. sapiens are represented, but H. neanderthalensis is not. This is only because of some people's internal biases.

What would there cities be?

Neanderthal?
Neander Valley?
Châtelperron?

The last one sounds French to me.

Here is my list of wanted real civs:
Inuit - We really need this one to happen! My most requested Civ!
Scotland - just for the graphics and sound of bagpipes alone needs to happen
Mexico/Canada - We need one more for North America
Apache/Comanche - sorry...two more
Swiss- mercenaries and neutrality would add a unique aspect to the game
Tibet/Nepal - Should make for great some new defensive and unit concepts
Phoenicans/Vikings - parlay with the Polynesians for early exploration!
Vandals/Goths - Some good Mods have shown the right way to make "barbarian" types fun to rule!
Sparta - Should be a pumped up military CS in which Civs vie heavy for alliances with!
Nubia - A great MOD out there...Do it!
Templar/Teutonic Knights - HAZZAH!
Isreal- Yep gonna go with it for sure! Give me a ancient and modern unit to boot please!

What would there cities be?

Neanderthal?
Neander Valley?
Châtelperron?

The last one sounds French to me.

Well, we would have to use some poetic license. To my knowledge, there are no surviving records of what the Neanderthals called their settlements, so they are named for the present day area where they were found.

Not much of their language/culture has survived either. But that certainly doesn't mean that they are not a worthy civ. They were a very influential civ in their day, with many technological advances and a rich culture. Then the H. sapiens came and destroyed it all.

Here is my list of Fantasy FUN Civs:
Atlantis - With erupting volcanos scripting again please
Elves - Fun with Archers and healing
Amazons - Love to see the babes and the lovely warrior units bouncing around the jungles!
Vampires -A great and FUN MOD since gone to the scrapheap of legacy mods had werewolves too
Saint Nick - Santa sure would liven up the poles on any map!
Zombies - YES! Give me the walking dead as a moving ever increasing hoard of barbs/let them cross under oceans too.

So much more can be had with a well packaged add on of fun!

What regions still need representation? Off the top of my head (and not all are important enough to represent TBH):
Yukon
Caribbean
Central Africa
Siberia
Central Asia
Australia

Yukon, Sibera and Australia have no civilisation history before the European colonisation; no, Inuits and Aborigins definitely are not civilizations but hunter - gatherer nations. The only nations we can put here are Canada and Australia, but I seriously doubt they are first priority civs - of course looking from game perspective and lot of other historical not Eurocentric candidates.

Speaking about Carribean, I don't know about any historical empires uniting this region and I'm skeptical about one - really - small - island - civilisations ;)

Central Africa in terms of empires has mainly Kongolese states, Kilwa, Kanem - Bornu and in far south - Great Zimbabwe, which in my opinion should be in this series instead of Zulu empire size of Belgium and life span of few decades ;)

Central Asia has damn lot of powerful steppe empires.

Top Bottom