1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

9 Most Wanted Civs Post BNW

Discussion in 'Civ5 - General Discussions' started by Brennan1214, Sep 15, 2013.

1. seasnake

seasnake Conquistador

1) Cherokee
    2) Pueblo
    3) Colombia
    4) Kongo
    5) Khazar
    6) Hittite
    7) Mughal
    8) Khmer
    9) Ashanti

If I'm dreaming, there it is.

2. Tsuchinoko

Tsuchinoko Warlord

There are more than 9 civs I'd still really like to see in the game if possible so I'm hoping for a couple of civ packs prior (or after) one final expansion. Something like this perhaps:

Wonders of the Ancient World Deluxe DLC: Sumer + Hittites (with scenario)

Modern Nations DLC: Canada + Australia

Liberation of South America DLC: Argentina + Gran Colombia (with scenario)

Expansion #3: Far Horizons: Khmer, Vietnam, the Mughals, Kushans, Hungary, Kongo, the Swahili (or Nubia) the Muisca (or Mapuche), and the Inuit.

Even with all of these, I still think there are plenty of civs that could be added (I did a long post earlier listing some possible candidates) as standalone or multi-civ DLCs. Personally, the more the merrier - as it's far easier for people who don't want more civs to remove them than it is for those who would like more to add them.

3. bevelnator

bevelnator Chieftain

Being half Cuban myself, I think having it as a civ would be cool (just please don't do Castro or any weird "revolucion" themed crap), but frankly, there are much better choices for a Latin civ. Argentina comes to mind especially, as until recently it would have been considered more important than Brazil.

I'd say my lust would be:
    1. Hittites
    2. Kongo
    3. Vietnam
    4. Argentina
    5. Cherokee
    6. Haida/Tlingit
    7. Australia with some native elements thrown in
    8. Swahili as an East African trade civ
    9. Ainu (because I read a bit about their culture and seemed really cool.)

4. Noian

Noian Chieftain

Wallachia with Vlad the Impaler as a leader would be really cool I think! One of their features could be a unique tile improvement that looks like impaled soldiers and spawns whenever an enemy unit is killed by a melee Wallachian unit; it could terrify and decrease the combat effectiveness of nearby units of civs currently at war with Wallachia =].

Another option for this geographic area would be Dacians under Burebista with a Draco-wielding GG replacement, maybe some bonus to the first GP and also some gold boost.

5. Merciorum

Merciorum Prince

Cherokee
    Sumer
    Swahili
    Oman
    Vietnam
    Kongo
    Bulgaria
    Hittites
    Timurids

I would be very, very irritated if Canada or Australia were put in.

6. 17arkOracle

17arkOracle Chieftain

1. Canada
    2. Switzerland
    3. Pueblo (I know they were rejected from BNW, but I still wish they'd be added)
    4. Sioux
    5. Inuit
    6. Kongo
    7. Sumeria
    8. Hittites
    9. Khmer

7. TheDanish

TheDanish Prince

I'd like to see

Mughal
    Manchu
    Dai Viet
    Timurid
    Mali
    Jerusalem

8. Steamtex

Steamtex Chieftain

CanadaCanadaCanadaCanadaCanadaCanadaCanadaCanadaCanadaCanadaCanadaCanadaCanadaCanadaCanadaCanadaCanadaCanadaCanadaCanadaCanadaCanadaCanadaCanadaCanada

9. Monado

Monado King

I have always wanted the Phoenicians.

Besides that, the return of the Hittites. I have a grudge from III to settle!

10. Muskie

Muskie Warlord

People complained about Hawaii and you want the Ryukyu Islands. Why no peasant warriors with farm implements for the unique unit? They just updated Japan, I'm pretty sure the Ryukyu Islands are not on their ta do list.

11. Muskie

Muskie Warlord

The Haida weren't all that united, they certainly never controlled the Pacific Northwest. There are many many different tribes with differing languages up and down the coast, even the art style people keep trumpeting has been modernized and reflects many influences beyond just Haida. Historically they had a very limited color palette and very limited metal working skills. The art style was developed fairly recently especially expanding it beyond the traditional mediums. The world famous Cowichan sweater was a result of Scottish settlers teaching the natives how to make wool and knit.

They benefitted from trade with Europeans, plus there is already a war canoe civilization and a couple Indigenous North American civs. No written language is a big one for me, if a Civilization never progressed to inventing a written language. The Picts for instance had no written language or none survived, but they at least had a symbology they carved in stone, plus the Romans wrote about them. So many differing North American Indigenous peoples and not one of them developed a complete writing system independently, that says a lot to me about advanced some of the tribes were before the arrival of Europeans. At least the Mayans developed a system of writing. The Ojibwa had some sort of writing system but it wasn't capable of supporting their entire language.

The indigenous peoples of the Pacific Northwest are different from the tribes from the plains in terms of diet, but they were not a united or even allied people occupying a large territory like the Iroquois. Band raided band even though the distance between them was only a few Kms. There was a trade language, but the tribes weren't even united linguistically. A chief commanded only a few hundred men at most. What is the largest battle in Pacific Northwest history?

The Picts could field a proper army, large enough to scare Roman Legionnaires. Many of the indigenous people of the Pacific Northwest were peaceful with their warfare consisting mainly of raiding of rival tribes/bands. The Haida apparently did take slaves as if slavery is something to be proud of...

It doesn't seem they would provide much opposition to any of the other Civilizations in the game with the possible exception of Hawaii, but even Hawaii or other parts of Polynesia were united and had a King, they developed more of a legal framework than the Haida ever did. Any bronze age civilization seems like they could take the Haida in a fare fight based on the fact bronze age civilizations developed armor and siege equipment.

12. meowschwitz

meowschwitz Warlord

Khemer
    Vietnam-we probably wouldn't get both if we get more content but I think they're both deserving. Trung sisters are a great leader option and khemer wouldn't be new to the series. They have many things going for them.

Israel-Firaxis hasn't had an issue with mixing eras for civilizations and you could do religion, espionage, and national wonders very easily

Hungary-most deserving option left in europe. Corvinius would be an awesome opponent.

Timurids-Definitely deserving.

Kongo-huge colonial presence. They could go in a lot of directions here. More content would probably have at least some colonialism content and could be an interesting option.

Ashanti- The golden stool provides interesting gameplay options and would be a good choice for africa. I think it's more likely we only get one africa civ in an expansion but they're just as deserving as Kongo.

Argentina-Post Colonial choice with Peronism and an Iconic leader. They'd fit into a lot of new concepts as well and give some more representation to South America. More deserving than Gran Columbia IMO

Haida-They may not be as deserving as the Khazaria, Tibet, or Armenia who I've left off but I've always liked their gameplay potential.
    I posted a design for them awhile ago in another thread here. I'd want them even before the Pueblo if that could still happen.

13. crocivfanatic

crocivfanatic Warlord

Well,thread asked for 9 civs...so i posted 9 civs :lol:
    Well primarily i would want to see Croatia,but i would happy with Yugoslavia as well.Kind a strange how it was not included in any of civ games before considering during it's time was one of strongest world nations and founders of non-aligned movement.Plus only nation which said "<snip> you" to soviet union without consequences.Perhaps that could be some sort of trait :)

Moderator Action: Inappropriate language removed.
    Please read the forum rules: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=422889

14. ldvhl

ldvhl ніщо

Which is irrelevant to whether or not they should be included.

So, like most societies, they adapted outside ideas and incorporated them into their culture?

And Europeans benefited from trade with the Haida, so?

There are other ways of representing Haida than focusing on just war canoes. And a "couple" Indigenous North American civs is hardly a good sampling, especially compared to how other peoples are represented (e.g., Europeans).

Which is, again, irrelevant to whether or not a civ is included.

Good for them?

First, again, irrelevant. Second, it's doubtful any civ in the game developed their writing system completely independently.

So?

So?

So?

Based on what I know of the Haida, this is false. You might be referring to Haida Jargon, which was developed by Haida, English traders, and other native peoples of the area to foster trade and diplomatic ties.

How is that at all relevant?

Good for them. Why do you keep bringing up the Picts (and the perceptions of classical Romans) in a thread discussing the Haida?

OK?

Opposition? Civs in 5 are on pretty equal footing so far as level of opposition, and provide a little variance based on their uniques. So that shouldn't be a problem.

...and?

15. Sturmgewher88mm

Sturmgewher88mm Kaiser

I didn't complain about Hawaii, and yes, I do. Naha was a major trade center for almost 600 years, and it was the only trade link between China and Japan for the last 250+ years before annexation by Japan. The Ryukyu kingdom captured the entire archepalego, so you must surely be joking about peasant warrior-farmers? Not to mention that Okinawa isn't a farm-friendly island.

I'm sure they're not on the "ta do list", but they're not so insignificant as to not consider them.

16. headcase

headcase Limit 1 Facepalm Per Turn

Canada
    UA - Culture spread much faster across tundra tiles, tundra tiles worth +1 gold (tundra is still inferior, but you can claim lots of it quickly and use the best tiles, like fur and other resources).
    UI - Sugarbush - trees only, +1 culture, provides maple syrup luxury resource (also improves resource diversity for trading). Lots of happiness and gold from trading maple syrup - the more friends you have the better - but you don't get it 'til around Metal Casting (maybe later). No extra yields through tech... it gives a lux which is probably already too powerful, especially if it's sold for gold.
    UU - RCMP (sorry) - Replaces Cavalry. When garrisoned, provides extra gold for both sides for incoming trade routes, and extra culture for Canada based on resource diversity bonus. Poor combat strength compared to Cavalry, part of which is made up for in a Friendly Lands bonus and the rest is made up for in a Garrison bonus. Yes, Canada has had plenty of great military moments (to understate it), but that is possible to replicate without a fighting UU.

Edit: I just noticed that everything I have in there is gold gold gold. Made UI culture instead - you can make gold from the syrup, or just place a trading post. Might also reduce UA to +1 gold only on tundra without hills (unless tundra resources can go on hills - then maybe just +1 gold for resources on tundra), but still have the fast tundra spread either way.

Texas - I'm feeling increased yields for bonus resources for this one, a couple other people have said as much in other threads.
    Congo
    Sumer
    Gran Colombia
    Inuit (gameplay reasons - this one WILL benefit from tundra\ice but struggle with growth as a result)
    Israel
    Palestine

17. LordG

LordG Chieftain

Nepal
    Switzerland
    Maori
    Ukraine/Kievan Rus'
    Chile
    Canada
    Inuit
    Bhutan
    Chachapoya
    Belgium

Though if I only get Nepal, I'll be happy. Ok, and the Kievan Rus'. The rest I can wait for.

18. MantaRevan

MantaRevan Emperor

Stop debating which civs "deserve" to be in. To say that some civilizations are "worthy" to be in the game and others aren't implies that some people are simply better or more important than others. No one civilization of people is better or more inclusion-worthy than any other, so it's pointless to argue over it. Let people have their opinions here.

19. Dralix

Dralix Killer of threads

Personally, I'd rather see the independent states, not the united Yugoslavia. At the very least Serbia and Croatia, both of which have long, rich histories.

20. crocivfanatic

crocivfanatic Warlord

Yes that would be good,also potential for a making scenario with as well.