_Canada was ripped_

Originally posted by Smash
First off,I would kindly ask you to keep your personal opinions of the skaters to yourself.
Give it up, Smash.

He was a little crying Mary. :cry:

:p

:lol:

Guys, Its not about talent anymore. Its marketing and politics. It was probably a great thing in ancient greece, Helped to make all your hoplites vetran, but today its over. Its just another thing destroyed by polotics and marketing.

From a Michigander hooked on the CBC coverage...

We get the Candadian Broadcasting Corp. coverage here in Michigan and most of us watch it over the American coverage because they include far more events (and only on one channel).
Also, they tend to be very fair about events in which non-north americans dominate and minimize the amount of John Q. Canadian broke both legs and triumphed stories.

So I was suprised when their main anchor (Don Cherry's former partner on Hockey night in Canada) editorialized that an IOC investigation is like Enron investigating itself. The Canadians are very mad about this one folks... look for some changes in the figure skating world.

There was a part in the opening ceremonies where they had an Olympic judge take the oath on behalf of all the judges at the games.

I said it to my wife then and I say it again now, get those figure skating judges up there to take the oath and hold them accountable for the oath they take. Figure skating as a whole has been bruised and bloodied over the years by the hyjinx of its judges. The sport is not THAT subjuctive. Either replace the corrupt judges or at least put in place a mechanism that penalizes judges who cheat by making their votes count less.

Figure skating cannot sustain too many more of these controversies. I used to wonder why tara Lipinski made the jump to professional so quickly. Now I understand.

Originally posted by tetley
Canada won the pairs figure skating, hands down. Canada, be proud.

I apologize for the Olympic committee's inability NOT to politicize their judging.

Why are you apologizing? Cheer the US on to a gold or two for us and make us proud! They won't have the balls to pull a stunt like that on our big bad American cousins!:D

Originally posted by Alcibiaties of Athenae
Give it up, Smash.

He was a little crying Mary. :cry:

:p

:lol:

He did seem kind of sensitive for a guy.

Personally, if it happened to me, I would not have accepted the medal on the podium. I'd force them to airmail it to me, return receipt requested! Followed by my return of the medal to them with a note saying, 'no thank you'.

Originally posted by muppet
Personally, if it happened to me, I would not have accepted the medal on the podium. I'd force them to airmail it to me, return receipt requested! Followed by my return of the medal to them with a note saying, 'no thank you'.
Ditto, but I am that madman in the theater. ;)

I have seen judges in football (called referees) make some really, really, really (yes that bad) calls before in games that I have played in. Luckly at the time I was in the Army so I had a reason to contain my anger. Damn, I need some Anger Management classes! I don't know how the Canadian guy could handle it. I would have gotten on the podium and pulled my pants down and mooned everyone. Yes it would have been stupid, but in a brilliant way! (white ass shinning);)

LOL...come on guys. They will have another shot at Olympic gold. Some of your reactions are unwarranted. PH included. ;)

And for those of you that are wondering, no judge decision has EVERY been overturned because of a challenge....so don't hold your breath. ;)

Judges have been fined and suspended....but their decision has never been overturned.

Originally posted by CornMaster
LOL...come on guys. They will have another shot at Olympic gold. Some of your reactions are unwarranted. PH included. ;)
Oh, then I would hold the anger in until after the last even when I would tell the judge how I felt about him/her/them!!! ;)
If I ever stop posting here without telling anyone, see you when I get out of jail. :D

So I was suprised when their main anchor (Don Cherry's former partner on Hockey night in Canada) editorialized that an IOC investigation is like Enron investigating itself. The Canadians are very mad about this one folks... look for some changes in the figure skating world.

I find it pathetic that the media focus such attention on a scandal involving the distribution of ranking in sport, crying "Corruption! Corruption! We want action" when far worse evils exist. If this kind of scrutiny were applied to suspicious and unethical politcial and corporate actions I could imagine the public would turn their eyes towards the things that actually affect them in more than just the flaring-emotions department.

The only opinions on the judging I've heard from actual judges -- those who know what to look for and where to deduct points -- have come from Canadians only. From what I saw and what I know about the sport, I believe the Canadian pair should have been awarded the gold medal. Unfortunately they weren't.

I just hope this doesn't descend into a grueling nationalism-driven fiasco. It's too late to switch medals and demanding for such an action would cause more problems than it would solve. The only good I can see come out of this hype is a solid and effective set of changes in the methods used in appoint, train, and bribe-proof judges. The whole concept of judging may be turned on its head.

I'm not too angry about the pairs figure skating sham. I'm angry about the way it's being treated: as a media circus.

- Maj

When I think about it, why don't they just throw out the Silver medals and award Canada Gold?

You don't have to strip the Russian team (the skaters didn't do anything wrong, and shouldn't be penalized) of their medals, just say, upon further review, it's a tie, and 4 gold are awarded this year, instead of Two.

Seems like a fair compromise to me.

Originally posted by Alcibiaties of Athenae
When I think about it, why don't they just throw out the Silver medals and award Canada Gold?

You don't have to strip the Russian team (the skaters didn't do anything wrong, and shouldn't be penalized) of their medals, just say, upon further review, it's a tie, and 4 gold are awarded this year, instead of Two.

Seems like a fair compromise to me.

I think that that is what the Canucks are asking for. I can't be sure since I fell asleep on the couch last night and woke up to Leno. I might have dreamed it.;)

That's what the Canucks are asking for--not to strip the Russians' gold. But that's strictly for political correctness. IMO, if you award both pairs gold medals, that's such a joke you might as well throw all the medals out. The only real solution that truly damage-controls the integrity of the sport is to give the Canadians the gold and the Russians the silver.

Yeah, but that's irrelevant to the final standings, for 2 reasons: 1) the ending pose doesn't count toward the short program's score, and 2) the short program doesn't count toward the long program. Everyone Monday skates with a clean slate.

Hmm, I don't care much about figure skating, could you please explain in what way the short program is relevant then?

Can't say I don't wonder the same thing myself, but the top 8 skaters of the short program are mathematically eligible for a medal. In the long program, they skate in batches of 4 (so the zamboni thing can come out and smoothe the ice), so realistically the medal contention is really in the top 4 skaters. The top skaters skate last--the "pole position," so to speak.

The Canadians were in the pole position going into Monday night.

The short program is not irrevelant.

The short counts for 33% of the final mark. The long is worth 66% of the final mark.

Same for all events except Dance. Dance is more complicated.

In Dance...the first levels one do compulsury dances....worth 50% each. Then Pre-Novice does the bronze rhythm, which is a freedance programmed to a certian type of rhythm. Tango, Foxtrot, etc.... This is broken uo 30%-30%-40%?!? I can't remember now....it was 4 years ago.

I did competitive dance for 5 years. Compeitive Singles for 8 years, no pairs though. :( Did a few programs.....but not competitively.

Then what do you say to the falling over in the short program? The Russians didn't make any mistake there, but their marks weren't much better although the Canadians fell over.

My point is that you can find flaws in the judging of probably every event in figure skating, that's what sucks about such sports imho.

Top Bottom