_Canada was ripped_

tetley

Head tea leaf
Canada won the pairs figure skating, hands down. Canada, be proud.

I apologize for the Olympic committee's inability NOT to politicize their judging.

Originally posted by tetley

I apologize for the Olympic committee's inability NOT to politicize their judging.
That is too bad, I liked the Canadian skaters. I saw one of their performances and the ending, although accidental, was funny (they busted their butts, but it didn't count against them since their program was over, they laughed and redid the bowing correctly).

Although I've skated with David before (BTW, he's an *******), they got ripped bad.

I mean the guy twofooted the jump!! TWO FOOTED!!! That's supposed to be a 0.2 deduction right there!

I mean come on.....better artistic, I find Russian pairs and women, boring skaters. The men sometimes have cool programs. Anyway....the Canadians did get ripped. But can't complain about Olympic Silver. At least I wouldn't. :)

Yeah, that was mighty stupid to give the Gold away to the Russians who made four mistakes in their routine while the Silver medalist Canadians did a flawless and passionate one. I wish this was the first time I've seen blok judging like this but unfortuneatly it seems almost to be routine in figure skating.

Who were the couple that fell over?

The Chinese fell over. Not once--TWICE. The first fall was really bad. But they're given bronze. Go figure. I saw the "4th" and "5th" place teams, and they did a good job.

I hope these judges get forced into early retirement before the next competition.

Have to agree, the judging seemed awful fishy there.

I thought the Russian team boring, and the China couple looked really amaturish (But they did do some things really fast, unlike the slow Russians).

It may sound shallow, but the plain grey costumes of the Canadians may have hurt them, as well as the Love story music.

Corn, you know the crybaby? I thought it most unbecoming to stand there and cry because the judges screwed you.

Come on, man. She had to stand there listening to someone else's national anthem, that should have been hers.

They need to hoist the judges on those flagpoles instead. Hey, judges, can you see better from that vantage point? Cause you obviously can't from your boxes.

When it comes to Olympic judging in skating, its ridiculous. Ice dancing has been rigged for years, the bloc brought down Kerrigan in 1994, and now we get this moving into the couples. It's laughable how pre-determined these events are.

If I were the Canadians, I would return the medals as a sign of disgust.

I wonder how the Russian pair feels about this.

Already commentators from across the globe are screaming scandal and corruption. They didn't change anything after the Nagano sham, maybe this time they might.

We'll snatch up a few golds in curling and hockey ... unless the goal judges are tainted :)

First off,I would kindly ask you to keep your personal opinions of the skaters to yourself.

That was not whiny crying,that was proud crying.They did all they could do and won the Olympic silver medal.

I say throw figure skating out completely.They were put on probation in Nagano.After 1 skating event I say they failed.
Allready in the men's short I see bad judging.American Timothy was not given full credit for a very strong skate which included history making jump combo.Done clean as a whistle.If he is given proper marks,he is ahead of the favorite Russian.Not acceptable to the judges,so they hacked him down a few 1/10s.

The Chinese fell over. Not once--TWICE.

Yes...but the Chinese team tried a Quad Schaclow (sp?), and she had it for like 1.5 seconds. They can change the deduction to more of a stumble than a fall on a jump. Sure...it's stretching it.....but still. ;)

Originally posted by Smash
I say throw figure skating out completely.They were put on probation in Nagano.After 1 skating event I say they failed.
Allready in the men's short I see bad judging.American Timothy was not given full credit for a very strong skate which included history making jump combo.Done clean as a whistle.If he is given proper marks,he is ahead of the favorite Russian.Not acceptable to the judges,so they hacked him down a few 1/10s.

I haven't seen the mens yet. But there are a few things that you have to keep in mind. That most people forget. It's not all about the jumps. Spins are VERY important, as is footwork, artistic ability, edges and stroking. Canadian and American skaters are weak in these areas. Expecially stroking!!! I had a Swiss coach for a year...one of my first years, and he taught me how to stroke. I can get up speed in 3 to 4 cross cuts, where it takes the average skater, 6-7 little choppy ones. North American coaches don't focus on the fundementals enough.....and this is why the Russians/Europeans are favoried by most judges. Also don't forget that most of these Judges are Asian/European, who tend to favor classical music and programming.

Also...since Figures were taking out of testing, and competition, people have stopped doing them. Footwork has become sloppy and a bunch of toepick crap, all turning one way....bah. Full of crap. I'm a very old school skater. Removing Figures was one of the biggest mistakes the CFSA (now Skate canada) ever did. Although they were boring, and everyone wanted them to end, they are like the basics!!! The building block of skating. And although I sucked at them, and usually came last, in figures, and rebounded in the freeskate, I was very upset when they left. :(

Anyway...enough about me. ;)

P.S. I failed my 2nd figure test twice, and my third figure test twice. And there are 9 tests.....so you can see how not good at them I was. ;)

I was watching American TV and in a poll conducted of over 200k people 96% said the Candians were robbed. Bob Costa said the first semi-funny line I have heard out of him that made sense: "The last time the results were this one sided is when there was a poll asking children if they would rather have milk or prune juice".

They're launching an internal investigation about the fishy voting... more scandals for the Olympics.

And the voting sides were as follows: Russia, China, Poland, Ukraine and France placed the Russians first; judges from the United States, Canada, Germany and Japan.

Hmm... based on those breakdowns, I'd have to say the Canucks were robbed, even though I know nothing about figure skating.

Rumor has it the French voted for the Russians, and in exchange the Russians will vote for the French in another figure skating catagory.

I heard that rumor on NBC last night. Discusting if it is true. I am reminded of the phrase we used when high school basketball officiating rubbed us the wrong way, "Let the boys play!" I think the same applies here. Let the skaters skate. This politics in judging is disgusting and debases the whole thing worse than about anything else.

Canada got robbed AGAIN in the men's shorts. Elvis Stoyko, okay, he fell. He should have taken a 1/2-point in deductions--0.3 for the fall, and 0.2 for another mistake. Instead he got a full point, getting 4.9's and 5.0's. When he should've gotten 5.2's through 5.4's.

About the Chinese, their weakness is actually the artistic side. They're two 500-pound gorillas attempting all these quad throws, spins, etc.. I saw the 4th & 5th place teams, and the Chinese did NOT best them no matter how you slice it.

MAN, I'm glad I'm not competing in this sport. I had jury-rigging just like this happen to me one of the years I got high school All-State Band. And it's utter BS.

Originally posted by tetley

Whats all that aboot?

Originally posted by Smash
American Timothy was not given full credit for a very strong skate which included history making jump combo.Done clean as a whistle.

I watched his program. And Alexia Yagoudin, Takesa Honda, and Evenguni Ple....... (Oh...I hate these names. ;)) and Timothy.

And I compiled a list of why he was in Third place. And it make total sense.

1) Tim only did a Quad sow, triple toe. Which is an EASIER jump combo. (Degree of difficulty)
2) He did a triple flip instead of a Triple Lutz (Which the other top 4 skaters did). Flips are a much easier jump then lutz......much.
3) His positions in his Sit spins were weak, and not a low as the other skaters.
4) His arms were flailing around while he entered some of his jumps. Like he's practising, instead of in competition...this hurt his artistic.

Now I went to bed at 4 AM, so I didn't see anyone after him. Or anyone before Yagoudin. (Well I saw Michael Whiss. My favorite American skater....he skated ok, but to be 1st of 29....not a good place to start. :( But he skated well. You know...a few years back, he was working on Quad Lutz in competition.....nexer landed one, but if he had, you would all know who Michael Whiss is right now. ;) He would eat the competition for breakfast!! Anywho......)

I hope that explains why Tim is in 3rd (assuming no one did better after I went to bed)

Top Bottom