a 5CC dilemna

Arutha

Chieftain
Thanks to Charis's excellent tale of his 5CC victory, I decided to have a go at it. 5CC game, conquest only (but all other victories enabled for the ai).
Having beat emperor for the first time earlier this week, I set difficulty on monarch.
After some thinking, I decided I wanted militaristic and scientific. Blah, that means the uber-cheesy Germans. Well... too bad, I'll still take them for my first try.
World is pangea, standard size (7 opponents), sedentary barbs (never liked them), every other setting average (30% landmass, temperate, 4 billion old).

I founded Berlin up north on the coast. It has 3 cattles, some hills, so it should turn out nicely production-wise in spite of all the coastal squares. My other cities would all be inland.
After scouting some, my initial plan took form.
I would settle 3 more cities. No overlap, netting me incense and gems, nice production while sustaining size 20-21 without a problem. I would also control enough hills / mountains that iron or coal shouldn't be a problem. I even controlled desert for a additional chance at salpeter and later oil. I would also have only one front to defend, which was very nice.
Only drawbacks: I chose not to settle on fresh water, and until irrigation / border expansion, only Berlin would grow easily.

As for my 5th city... well, London was on a very nice spot, with a mix of grassland / hills, freshwater and wine. :p

Then came the first shocker: in spite of all those hills/mountains, I had no iron. :( Worse, I couldn't see any on the map.
So I went archers and still set my aims on London. The capture was easy (they were building the Pyramids so couldn't rush defenders). I made peace 3 turns later, getting also cartography in the deal.

And then... several more shockers: as I suspected from the fact we had contact with only the Celts, Russians and English, the "pangea" turned out to be "continents". And only the Russians had access to iron, way down south, all across our landmass from me. Argh ! Only two iron sources on a landmass shared by FOUR civs. Silly...
Also, bad news for the future, it seems that even combined, the Celts and English will be no match for the Russians. So I'll need to go after them sooner than later, but with no iron it didn't bode too well. By the time I got catapults / spears / horsemen to them, they'd have a knight army. *sigh*

Well, now that I had cartography, Berlin built a galley that was sent West: I had spotted a coastline there. Turned out to be a largish unsettled island with fertile land and two (!) iron sources. Also spotted a border and made contact with the Japs, Chinese and Mongols, trading myself into tech and gold leadership. The Spanish seem to be isolated on an island, probably south of the Asian continent. Nice "pangea" indeed.

Alright, here's my dilemna now (other than "what the hell am I gonna do about the Russians??"):

I could abandon London and settle on West island (red dot): that would be a very fine city (freshwater, cattle, wheat, horses, iron via a colony, very good food / production) but it would be corrupted (far from Berlin), which is kinda sad for a 5CC. I would also lose a lot by abandonning London. And a full blockade to protect a wine colony there doesn't seem very realistic. I have enough spare units for a land blockade (I think), but a galley with a settler onboard would find its way there rather soon I expected.

Option two would be to keep London, forget about how nice a spot red dot is, and found an iron "colony" on green dot. Problem being that unless there's something I don't know, colonies don't work overseas unless they're connected by road to a city with a harbour. So the "colony" in question would be a city that I'd keep at size one with only a harbour in it... but still it would be my sixth city, which isn't allowed under strict 5CC rules.

Option 3 is forget about West isle entirely. But without my own iron source (none of the Asian civs have it for trade), with the biggest threat on my landmass happening to have a monopoly of it.... getting to the age of cavalry with a winable position seems a tall order.

So what do you suggest I should do?

Option 1 : abandon London and found on red dot.
Option 2: found a colony / city on green dot.
Option 3: forget about getting iron and pray.
Option 4: if you have any other option, I'd like to hear about it. :)

Screenshot:

You could build a colony on the closest iron source on the west island, and hope that the ai will build a city quite close, but not so close as to take it by culture. if you cover the squares 3-4 steps away from it no ai can build a city there, but will probably build near the cattle due north. run up a road to the ai town, and hope that the ai build a harbor sometime the next millenium, or so. ;)

I would suggest abandonning Berlin and letting the palace jump to Leipzig which is closer to the center of your empire. Unfortunately Berlin is your only coastal city! Hambourg would have been better off 1 square southeast.

Wow! Rough one! Definitely not an easy call!

> Option 1 : abandon London and found on red dot.
Barely doable. Corruption is bad, and you don't solve the iron problem at all.

> Option 2: found a colony / city on green dot.
Would get the iron, but be a lousy city. "No" vote for this one.

> Option 3: forget about getting iron and pray.
This is my top choice. With so FEW cities, resources are dirt
cheap to buy. If you buddy up to Russia you can get some. And the nice thing is... you only need it for one turn. With a monster vet warrior force and full focus on cash saving, or a big horse build up, you can get iron, upgrade to swords, pikes or knights depending on the timeframe, then go stomping.

> Option 4: if you have any other option, I'd like to hear about it.
Honestly, option 4 is "start again". In my deity 5CC conquest, I was expecting extreme pain, but if Iron wasn't obtainable I was fullly planning to jettison the game. At this stage you've not got a ton of time invested.

A few other comments:
- Usually you would play 5CC one full difficulty below where you 'easily' win, and conquest version of this 1.5 or 2 lvls below. So one emperor win then a Monarchy 5cc conquest is *tough*
(Still, I like your willingness to take on a challenge! :hammer: )

- As pointed out, Hambug is in an *awful* spot. It can't build a harbor, yet has 4 coastal squares. That's 1 food and 0 shields, even worse than desert. Leipzig, I would have put on the lake. With only one river city you just won't have enough early game 'oomph' to take on Russia.

If you stick it out, at least you have horses and nice luxuries going for you, plus a nicely defensible position. Two civs will go down with no difficulty - the game rises or falls with Russia. Let's see, no chance to hit them with Swords... if the AI are nice in building harbors AND they have extra iron, there's a chance you could do a horse-Knight upgrade and hit 'em then. Or bide your time. If the Russians lack saltpeter, or if you last that long, rubber, it will be very nice.

In either case, good luck!!
Charis

First, thanks for the answers guys. :)

Well, I guess I should indeed have gone for option 3 since the Mongols later turned out to have excess iron (but whether they built a harbour in timely fashion, I didn't pay attention).
I actually went for option 2. So it's no longer a 5CC, but a 5.1 CC. ;)
I have 5 cities, and a size 1 city on green dot that solely serves as an iron colony.

Cathy played her hand well. She didn't let her huge advantage go unused and promptly made short work of both the English and the Celts.
I went to war with the age of Chivalry and hurt her some, but apart from Minsk (a size 12 city that got razed to the ground), I couldn't hit her where it really hurts: her core cities. I made peace, getting in the deal the techs I needed to reach the industrial age, and prepared for the next war, 20 turns later.

China was the tech leader at the time, with Mongols a close second, Japan and Spain lagging 3-4 techs behind. Russia had been the tech leader before, but the war took a toll on her tech pace, and it was a second tier nation now.

I had no salpeter but traded it from China. I had two coal deposits. No rubber, but could also trade for it. Once again, they were only two rubber sources in our continent, both south in Russia. But those would be mine soon: they were south-west, away from the Russian core.

I signed everyone into the war vs Russia (actually Cathy had declared on China a few turns earlier). Not that I really needed them, but I wanted the tech pace to slow down... and I also didn't want Russia to sign them in.

As is well known, one ai is no match for a human player in infantry / cavalry / artillery wars and I made steady progress, razing one Russian city every 3 turn, then more as my forces grew.

And in 1730, the Russians were wiped out.

Radio has been researched, mass production is next.
I'm at tech parity with China and Mongolia, the Spanish are lagging 2 techs behind, the Japs 4.

Now it's time to pick my next target and the right time for the attack.
Should I attack right now? Wait for mass production (battleships)? Wait for motorized transport? Wait for flight?
Spain and Japan can wait.
Mongolia or China? China got both Copernicus and Newton's and has better land / cities.
BUT China is commie while Mongolia is still a democracy. And China lacks oil.

So I think that China is less of a threat and Mongolia the best choice of a target. But China is likely to demand oil from me and may turn on me if I refuse... which would have me fight them both. :(

So what do you think?

PS:
Leipzig is indeed the first choice for my capital, and I had planned to move my palace there. That's what my very first leader got used for. Abandonning Berlin was no option since it was my only good city at the time. That would have set me 2,000 years back.

PPS:
As for Hamburg and Leipzig placement... Well, placing Leipzig on the lake would have been far better short-term, but long term it meant I lost quite a lot production and commerce (I wanted to get those two gold bonus tiles). Moving Hamburg west meant overlap with Leipzig. Not an option. Moving it to the coast meant less production long-term. With hindsight it probably would have been worth it since I could do with a second harbour. But remember that at the time I thought "pangea" woud be that, and not turn out to be a continents map. I reckonned that one harbour city would be enough.

Go for mongolia and then china (quite a task) but if you have the units then it is by far the best (wiping out your worst enemies).

Taking out Japan on the way to mongolia/china seems logical to me, but again you need a large army.

I think you did rigth in placing Hamburg when you thought a pangea was a pangea. I now i could have done the same thing :)

Nice game, exept from the 5,1, your 1 pop city. You are not playing 5CC anymore :nono:

As Mass Production went online on the following turn, I declared on the Mongols immediately, buying everyone in the war against them.

But by the time I got to their landmass, I had to change target. They were losing that war, and China was becoming worrying and annoying. In spite of being communist and at war, it was researching pretty fast (about 6-7 turns per new tech), and it was also rabidly settling the ex-Russian lands. I had 75% of my infantry forces engaged in an inneffective blockade. I was slowing the process, but that just wouldn't do.

So I made peace with Mongolia and declared on China. I removed them from my continent and thus freed 80-100 infantries just in time for the mech inf upgrade. :)

For those who wonder what outposts are useful for, well that's the one case where they are invaluable. With a railnet completed, outposts placed so that I could monitor all the continent's coastline, no military presence was needed to prevent further landings. Outposts are very useful when playing conquest.

With airfields at my beachhead on Asia, the rest was a pure matter of technique as they put it in chess. China went down, then Mongolia. They had so many sources of oil and rubber that resource denial wasn't an option. Tanks (Panzers) vs Mech inf doesn't allow for a blitz war, but bombers and a stack of artillery meant I made steady, if slow, progress.

Japan and Spain lacked both Computers and Oil so with Mongolia and China gone, it went quickly after that.

All in all, it was a fun game. With only five cities, micromanaging them isn't a pain. But managing very carefully your troops is the key. The priority is to keep losses minimal.
I didn't have much trouble staying at tech parity. I even managed to pull ahead at the end. But I guess that on Deity or even Emperor it would be another matter.

Top Bottom