• Inspiration

Votes: 6 21.4%
  • Nothing, because Faith is just fine

Votes: 18 64.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

qadams

Bohemian
It seems appropriate in the ancient and classical ages for a Civ player to create holy sites and erect temples in order to acquire a currency called ‘Faith’ which can enable you, potentially, to found a religion and/or progress toward other Great Persons. But once you reach the age of reason and go beyond that, the mechanic doesn’t quite work as well. The word ‘Faith’ just feels wrong in purchasing Naturalists and especially Rock Bands.

So, what would be a better name for that currency? I’ve listed a few suggestions in the poll that might be a good fit for both the earliest ages and the later ones too. If you have other ideas, please submit them and maybe we’ll do a follow-up poll after this one concludes with the best new ideas along with the most popular of the choices above.

Thanks for participating!

Last edited:
I can't participate in your poll because I see nothing wrong with Faith as a currency term across all eras. Perhaps you should be a little more modest and give your poll the title 'Is there a better name for Faith?' and then include 'No, I don't think so' as a voting option.
Good suggestion, I amended the poll.

Last edited:
It seems appropriate in the ancient and classical ages for a Civ player to create holy sites and erect temples in order to acquire a currency called ‘Faith’ which can enable you, potentially, to found a religion and/or progress toward other Great Persons. But once you reach the age of reason and go beyond that, the mechanic doesn’t quite work as well. The word ‘Faith’ just feels wrong in purchasing Naturalists and especially Rock Bands.

So, what would be a better name for that currency? I’ve listed a few suggestions in the poll that might be a good fit for both the earliest ages and the later ones too. If you have other ideas, please submit them and maybe we’ll do a follow-up poll after this one concludes with the best new ideas along with the most popular of the choices above.

Thanks for participating!

The concept is ill defined anyway. What is meant by "faith"? Being adherent to a certain religion/ideology? In that case I would call it "culture" :mischief: And I would call the current culture "science" :)

Well, the best word would really be "belief", but that's already co-opted into religion, just like faith.

The next best would be "spirit".

But on the whole, I think I'd be fine with faith if they would just come up with a modern method of generating rather than relying on early-game buildings for something that has modern applications. The latter has been repurposed from its Civ V origions, while the former has not been revisited.

Those religious people can define faith as the act of being adherence to their god. Other people that "worship" the mother nature, the beatiful planet earth.. can define faith as not betraying the bounty of earth.. preaching about the go green movement (akin to missionary), or open up a national park (akin to apostles). The same can goes for the rock bands..people that "worship" and get inspired from the sanctity of beats and musics. Perhaps if one day Firaxis add football player or chef with similar mechanism to rock bands, I think they can call it faith as well, because there are people that "worship" and "get inspired" from sports and good food lol

It'sa stretch, indeed, but "faith" shouldn't be something that's exclusive for people that are religious, with increasing trend of being irreligious everywhere

Voted "Inspiration" because that comes closest to the Devs' ethos towards faith. It is creativity, but not one that comes from the head but from het heart.

Science = scientific development (knowledge)
Culture = outward development (aesthetics)
Faith = inner development (ethics)

Do you mean "zeal" instead of "zest" ?

I always associate the word zest with citrus peel.
I meant Zest, based on the dictionary definition of "great enthusiasm and energy." But I agree that Zeal might be good too, certainly better than Faith.

Top Bottom