A big question...

Mr. Will

Mister
Will it be just as easy to make grpahics for Civ4 as it is for Civ3? (When I say easy, I mean compared to other games where you can't add units or you need extensive programming knowledge.)

I know the graphics need to get upgraded, but I'd really like to be able to make units for Civ4 with the skills I''m developing for Civ3. Will the .flc format still be used, or will it take some uber complex 3d whatever? Honestly, if you couldn't add units to Civ3 (and mod it in other ways), I probably would've stopped playing it. I know it's still supposed to be moddable, but will it still be fairly simple to create and implement new graphics?

I am assuming flc is dead. CIV will be using the Gamebryo 3D engine. This has its own custom animation formats. There are plugins available for 3DSMax and Maya to convert those file formats to the Gamebryo format.

In short, for those who are building their units in 3D already, it'll probably be just as easy (or even easier as they won't have to render out to flcs). For the rest, it'll be harder till they learn a 3D animation package.

FWIW, all the units and leaderheads in Civ3, PTW, and Conquests were done in 3D originally. Those artists would have saved some time if they didn't have the render to flc step.

True. No flic rendering? That's a dream come true. :)

For those who don't use 3D though, being able to do graphics modding will likely be linked to Firaxis (or some other party) releasing a conversion tool of some sort.

Top Bottom