A bit of Government advice, Please

I think that the type of goverment is according to the victory that you want to make:

Comunism: Domination

Democracy: Cultural victory

Republic: Space race

Monarchy: Diplomatic victory

Despotism: Domination (again)

I am not sure you can really break it down like that. There are general trend, for example in some cercumstances communism will have higher production but lower cash (or science) than republic, so you may want commie for war and republic for peace. Most of the time however you want the best production / commerce no matter what victory condition you are going for. For me this is republic up to 2 * OCN, commie after.

I think Despotism is Conquest, and Democracy and Republic are Space Race. Monarchy is Domination.

(How do you get domination with despotism anyway?) Don't answer that.

Paradigne said:
Should probably start a new post... but does ANYONE use facism????

I didn't try Fascism, but I saw the AI make the switch, and I have to say that if you're going to do the switch make sure you have some prep time before you start mongering.

I was England at war with America. We were stuck in a trench warfare stalemate and I still had about 8 turns before I could start rolling out some tanks. America was even with me and had some pretty good-sized cities, about sizes 8-10s with the exception of it's capital New York (Washington was in my hands from a past war) which had a whopping 25.

Then a few turns later something very odd happened. America's people started dropping like flies. Suddenly, Lincoln's cities were down to 3-4! All except for New York, which after years of artillery shelling wouldn't drop past 15 (by the way I love it how if you have a very strong force by the capital of an AI Civ, they will stupidly recall the majority of their troops to hold the capital, leaving all of the other cities with a piddly 2 defenders.)

Anyway back to the story, I was wondering why the sudden drop, so I checked with my military advisor and found out America switched from Democracy to Fascism. The switched caused the deaths of his own people.

While Lincoln had good intentions, the results were disastrous. Within four turns my tanks marched in and snatched a whopping 6 cities (with pops of only 3 or 4 the defenders got practically no defense bonus), leaving America with two cities, New York and Seattle (which was so far away it wasn't worth it.) I immediately demanded peace and started building up my new empire.

So I guess what I'm trying to get at, is if you're going to use Fascism, do some prep work before you head out to war. The military support won't do much good if they don't have any defense.

Oy, I talk too much.

AdamNott said:
I think that the type of goverment is according to the victory that you want to make:

Comunism: Domination

Democracy: Cultural victory

Republic: Space race

Monarchy: Diplomatic victory

Despotism: Domination (again)

I don't agree with several items on this list. Dem and Rep are best suited for diplo, space, or cultural victories, and monarchy/communism is best suited for warmongering, this is how i understand it, anyway. and despotism? i'm not sure despotism is good for anything. you're just kind of stuck with it.

On lower levels, your civ is progressing at a very fast rate relative to other civs. Your roads may not be fully built out. Untill your roads are connecting cities and you have 2 or 3 cities with markets and you have 2 or 3 size 7 cities, I would not change to Rep. Rep and monarchy get their advantage from size 7+ cities and worked tiles.

What accounts for the increased commerce of a republic over monarchy and democracy over republic, for example in reese09's game? I'm not entirely sure of the bonuses.

So republic gets a very small reduction in corruption but gets +1 commerce in each square already producing commerce. Democracy gets the same +1 commerce but a larger reduction in corruption. Is the corruption advantage of democracy over republic really that large?

I find communism very usefull especially if it is the preferred form government.

Communism is very effective for long drawn out wars because of the 6 unit support per town, any size, think cold war.

Buwyse said:
I find communism very usefull especially if it is the preferred form government
First: Welcome to CivFanatics! :thumbsup:

I wish the game designers would explain the "preferred" and "shunned" governments a little better... it's misleading. These attributes only apply to AI civs, not the one controlled byt the human player. These "government preferences" have a minor impact on an AI's attitude towards another civ, but otherwise do not affect gameplay...

Regarding the corruption fighting abilities of Democracy over Republic: Democracy does have a meaningful advantage, but this is often overshadowed by a more important factor in corruption: The Optimal City Number. By the time Democracy is available many human players are already well past this threshold. Democracy does have one other advantage over Republic: workers are more efficient. Democracy+Replaceable Parts+an Industrious Civ=Civ3's "uber worker".

One of the better tidbits among the more recent posts is this:
geonnyboy said:
So I guess what I'm trying to get at, is if you're going to use Fascism, do some prep work before you head out to war.
I would broaden that a bit. It's generally a good idea to do a little prep work before switching to Communism as well. Under Republic you wouldn't dream of building a Courthouse in your Capitol... unless you're planning a switch to communism. If you build those courthouses and police stations before the switch, the post revolution civ will be a lot more powerful.

scoutsout said:
First: Welcome to CivFanatics! :thumbsup:

Thank you. I am happy to be here.

scoutsout said:
Under Republic you wouldn't dream of building a Courthouse in your Capitol... unless you're planning a switch to communism. If you build those courthouses and police stations before the switch, the post revolution civ will be a lot more powerful.

Ooh that's a nice tip. I've never done the commie switch yet (I'm too hooked on peacetime play) but I've been hearing how overpowering communism is in Conquests. Maybe I'll give it a shot in my next game.

Top Bottom