A Brave New World

tyrion, ppl use unspoken thoughts against us everyday :p 'tiw good armory if u do it well ;) y should threads b different? different history = still people and still world. RL is awsome that way :p :p

I agree. Also, according to the background the horrible defeat in the Americas just made the British become more imperialistic = they want to make at least a vassal out of China. However, the exclusive trade thing (which I missed when I first looked at tyr's post) kind of does make China Britain's vassal so it's not too horribly OOC.

Oh, and welcome to NES-ing Eaglestiker!

I agree. Also, according to the background the horrible defeat in the Americas just made the British become more imperialistic = they want to make at least a vassal out of China. However, the exclusive trade thing (which I missed when I first looked at tyr's post) kind of does make China Britain's vassal so it's not too horribly OOC.

Oh, and welcome to NES-ing Eaglestiker!

"Exclusive trade" however is redundant. I think what the British are aiming for is to have the Chinese cooperate with their sphere of influence - which will work great for awhile until Chinese nationalism kicks in.

"Exclusive trade" however is redundant. I think what the British are aiming for is to have the Chinese cooperate with their sphere of influence - which will work great for awhile until Chinese nationalism kicks in.

Wait, how is "exclusive trade" redundant? China still is the largest or even exclusive supplier of a lot of luxuries and resources, and even when a black market emerges, it won't be that successful.

You can take this to another thread you know...instead of spamming up this one.

I just hate inflated NES thread postcounts is all ;)

Wait, how is "exclusive trade" redundant? China still is the largest or even exclusive supplier of a lot of luxuries and resources, and even when a black market emerges, it won't be that successful.
'

Because at this juncture, Britain is the only power really capable (besides the Dutch) of engaging in trade with China. They have the supplies and resources to be able to do that, and no other power is viable to really compete with them for trading rights in China. So to ask for "exclusive trade" is redundant because they don't need to protect the trade from anyone else.

Well, not yet anyway. On a meta level the British are showing incredible foresight.

But eh. Azale's right. This is getting nowhere fast.

ok, so with no diplo response, i'll assume the answer is not yet. orders incoming.

Update going to be starting momentarily. We'll start off with multiple booms!

Update going to be starting momentarily. We'll start off with multiple booms!

Hopefully said booms will occur in North America, or our guys accidentally discovered cold fusion.

The Empire of Brazil looks forward to the update.

I'm pretty sure I've just read through more orders than were sent in for the past three TWTUD updates combined.

We've got a lot going on for a first update, and I'm sure it is going to be a massive one.

You got my hopes up when I saw that you had just posted. Good to hear. Cant wait to read the world events (hopefully).

rather excited, though Im not doing THAT much. Hopefully less is done TO me.

Global News Report

North/Central American News Report

CANADIAN ELECTIONS. Toronto, Canada. The Canadian Free Democrat Party has won elections in a surprise upset in the 1830 elections in Canada. The Free Democrats have offered a new era of freedom and democracy surpassing even North American standards. The Canadian Charter of Citizens’ Rights has proclaimed that all residents within Canadian borders are recognized as citizens, even the native tribes. Canada’s offer of equal treatment for all people regardless of ethnicity or religion has begun to convince native tribes in Ohio and Louisiana to migrate to Canada in hopes of new chances and freedom.

NEW PIRATES OF THE CARIBBEAN. Port-au-Prince, Haiti. Haiti has made a proclamation which has outraged the slave-holding nations to its north and south. Haiti has declared that any slave to set foot on the island will be freed immediately and that slavery is a crime punishable by death in Haitian courts. Haitian frigates have launched a full scale offensive against the slave trade in the Atlantic Ocean. Ships of Portugal, Virginia, Georgia, Carolina, and Brazil have all been seized by the Haitian raiders. The slaves have been set free and in many cases, the crews have been executed. Calls for war have been heard in all the victim nations as ship owners call for vengeance and retribution against Haiti.

WAR IN GEORGIA. Savannah, Georgia. Tennessean military forces have crossed the Georgian border and invaded the disputed region of Mississippi Territory. Claims on the region have been claimed to be substantiated by historical distribution of the region under the United States of America. Governor Jackson has proclaimed the Georgian control illegal and declared war. The local Georgian military forces have been easily defeated by the Army of Tennessee and at the Battle of Birmingham were decisively driven from Mississippi Territory. The remaining Georgian militia have either dispersed into the hills to raid supply trains or rallied together at the town of Atlanta to mass for another battle.

NEW GOVERNOR IN OHIO. Marietta, Ohio. The Council of Militias in Ohio has overthrown Governor Alan Trimble in favor of a hero of the territory, William Henry Harrison. The new governor has yet to make promises to the people, but the military has supported him into power. With war to the south and possible trouble with the remaining native tribes, many Ohioans hope for a strong leader in these interesting times.

PENNSYLVANIA ANNOUNCES NEW ERA. Harrisburg, Pennsylvania. Following the Canadian citizenship charter, the government of Pennsylvania made a similar revolutionary proclamation. The Charter of Pennsylvania Brotherhood has made discrimination on basis of religion or ethnicity illegal within the entire nation. They have promised radical degrees of free speech and toleration which have alienated most of their neighbors. Papers in New York, Ohio, and Maryland have called it a blatant attempt to destabilize the status quo.

WAR IN THE APPALACIANS. Jonesborough, Franklin. King Richard II of Carolina, with support of the House of Lords has refused to recognize the independent status of the small republic of Franklin. As such, the military was mobilized in late April to launch an invasion. However, the neighboring Republic of Kentucky has come to the aid of Franklin and deployed forces to fight alongside the defenders. In a brutal and uncoordinated battle in front of Jonesborough, the combined republican armies defeated the invaders from Carolina. With the Carolinians defeated, some members of the republics have even been discussing a union between the two similar nations.

A NEW ENGLAND CONFEDERATION? Boston, Massachusetts. Representatives from Rhode Island, Massachusetts, and New Hampshire have all announced plebiscites to be held in 1831 to determine if a popular majority exists to establish a unified New England government. Calls for a unified New England government have existed in the three nations since the dissolution of the United States of America and many are optimistic on the bill’s chances in all three nations. If successful the three nations could merge as early as 1833.

CRISIS IN DELAWARE. Dover, Delaware. Virginian and Marylander military forces have moved in and overthrown the republican government of Delaware. King Robert, concerned with stability and British sympathy in the republic has emplaced his brother Sidney on the newly created throne of Delaware. Kings Sidney and Robert have brought their cousin Thomas of Maryland into a full alliance which has consolidated Virginian dominion over most of the region.

South American News Report

BRAZIL RECLAIMS URUGUAY. Montevideo, Empire of Brazil. The Emperor of Brazil has announced that Uruguay was an essential part of the Brazilian Empire and in March, Brazilian soldiers marched into the small nation. Though the army of Uruguay put up a fight in front of the capital of Montevideo, they were easily overwhelmed by the Brazilian army. Uruguay has been reclaimed as a province of Brazil. Press in Paraguay and Argentina have denounced the Brazilian action claiming that it violates treaties made at the end of the Argentine-Brazilian War.

European News Report

REVOLT IN WARSAW. Warsaw, Russian Empire. Polish nationalists have led a full scale revolt in the city of Warsaw. In response, Cossack cavalry were called out to suppress the rebellion. Thousands of Poles were reported dead from the attack. Martial law has been declared in the region as the area continues to seethe with unrest.

BRITISH ELECTIONS. London, British Empire. New elections have been held this year for the British Parliament, and Lord Earl Grey has been appointed as the new Liberal Prime Minister. Prime Minister Grey has promised a harsher stance on slavery and ending the slave trade within the British Empire. Parliament and the British people have supported these proposed reforms and have called for “abolition at the soonest moment.”

ALLIANCE OF TWO ITALYS. Naples, Kingdom of the Two Sicilies. Surprising many powers in Europe, the nations of Sardinia-Piedmont and Two Sicilies have put aside their differences to ally. Many believe that the Papal States may soon resurge or attempt to establish further theocratic control over the Italian peninsula. The new Alliance of Italy is believed to be a measure to prevent papal expansionism.

African/Middle Eastern News Report

TURMOIL IN WEST AFRICA. Sokoto, Sokoto. The suspicious death of Sultan Mohammed Bello in Sokoto has resulted in the rising of his brother, Abu Bakr Atiku as the new head of state in the African nation. Rumors of poisoning and other dastardly acts have marred the rise of this man to leadership of the Caliphate, and many religious men refuse to recognize him as the true leader. Furthermore, attempts to expand the sultan’s control have nearly dried the treasury and threaten to bankrupt the nation for very little gain.

Asian/Pacific News Report

BRITAIN ANNOUNCES SUPPORT FOR CHINA. Guangzhou, China. To the surprise of many, a British ambassador has signed the Treaty of Guangzhou which heralds a new era of friendship between the two great empires. Britain has illegalized the sale of opium and starting cracking down on smugglers from Australia and India. In exchange, they have received a monopoly on trading rights within China, which has angered other colonial powers, particularly the Netherlands and Portugal.

THREAT OF CIVIL WAR IN JAPAN. Edo, Japan. The daimyos of Japan have been outraged by the shogun’s recent attempt to force use of militaries to expand powers off the islands. All daimyos have refused use of their militaries and have threatened violent action if the shogun continues to make attempts to expand his own power. These daimyos have also spoke against the recent agreements with Russia which many have considered the greatest threat to Japan since the days of the Mongol hordes.

Global News Ticker

NEW “CHURCH OF LATTER-DAY SAINTS” FOUNDED IN NEW YORK. THEY PROBABLY WON’T AMOUNT TO ANYTHING.

MEANINGLESS PEOPLE WIN MEANINGLESS RELECTION IN MEANINGLESS SWITZERLAND.

PARTY OF THE BEY WINS REELECTION IN TUNISIA DESPITE ACCUSATIONS OF ELECTORAL FRAUD.

PRUSSIA AND RUSSIA ANNOUNCE ALLIANCE IN TRADE AND POLITICAL INTERESTS.

Diplomatic Pouch

OOC

@lord_joakim, I am assuming that by “spend one base IC in Private Enterprise,” you meant for me to switch your single IC from Military Spending to Private Enterprise. Therefore, a militia division cannot be constructed at this point.

To everyone: Please reread the rules, Infantry divisions cost 2 IC, not 1. Same goes for Cavalry.

@Tyrion, you could not expand to the southern island of New Zealand at this point, that IC is needed for bribes and maitanence in other parts of the Empire.

@germanicus12, without IC in Military Spending, you cannot build military forces. Therefore your IC has been put into developing the Steam Engine.

@mrpwn3r: First, please read division costs above. Second, please read colonization rules. You need a minimum of 3 Base IC to colonize, and 1 in each type of IC to spend to set up a colony.

@Eaglestriker and other new players: My greatest recommendation is to talk to other players. They would be the best to provide advice, even over myself. :)

Another note to all: Please post questions relating to background information on the background thread. I will answer all OOC questions about a nation’s background and character there. Such answers can also occasionally be open to dispute if good counter evidence is presented.

To all colonial and expanding nations: Please remember that your color on the map is where you have official and stableish government control. That is why you gain so little territory at a time, that sort of control takes time and money to establish

World Map

Attachments

• map1.PNG
    map1.PNG
    235.1 KB · Views: 332
OOC: Great update!

Didn't I sponsor Siam?

IC:

To the Kingdom Of Great Britain:

Relinquish your hold on China!

To Japan:

Once your disputes are resolved, Japan, we will sponsor you into becoming a great nation, to combat the British infidels next door.

Nice update! :)

Next time, I'll get better orders in.

To the Kingdom Of Great Britain:

Relinquish your hold on China!

To Japan:

Once your disputes are resolved, Japan, we will sponsor you into becoming a great nation, to combat the British infidels next door.

Russia questions the Dutch government's sanity.

nice update!

Great update EQ.:goodjob:

To: Argentina

We have merely corrected an injustice forced upon us by the times. As previously stated, Uruguay is Brazilian sovereign territory and we intend to keep it that way.

The Brazilian Government has no intention of continuing agression against Argentina, and we hope that we can encourage trade between our two nations. Brazil's only wish is to usher in a new era of prosperity for South America.

To: Haiti

Your attacks on our shipping do not amuse us. Cease and desist immediately or face invasion by superior forces.

Top Bottom