1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

A bug with Protectorate War?

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by PibbZ, Aug 31, 2017.

1. PibbZ

PibbZ Paladin

Long story short, Im the suzerain of Toronto, and Norway is sieging it with units on every Toronto-owned tile.

I denounce Norway
    The turn after, I declare a Protectorate war with no warmonger penalty. After the declaration, the Norwegian troops that used to be inside Torontos borders are now booped out Toronto terrirory, and dumped all over the place.

Is this troop moving intended when declaring a protectorate war? It sure is the easiest way to protect a city state, but it just doesnt feel right.

2. Kyro

Kyro Chieftain

I declare protectorate wars often; yes it is intended. Would you rather they let the AI capture the city state before your troops get there and lose all your envoys?

3. gyro42

gyro42 Chieftain

A well timed declaration can be what saves your city state

4. PibbZ

PibbZ Paladin

Obviously not, but by magically moving the troops it certainly made it a hell of a lot easier to protect. In my opinion it feels like im cheating the system by doing so. Its a victory with the aftertaste of cheese, if you know what I mean :)

5. gyro42

gyro42 Chieftain

There are a few other circumstances where your troops get moved around for no reason. It could be a bug. I recall every time i liberated a city state from a civ the half my troops move outside their borders while the other half stay. It could be that once you declare a protectorate war the program ends the current war with the civ and restarts it. this would explain the troops moving out.

6. Kyro

Kyro Chieftain

City States are incredibly difficult to protect already I wish they'll make it easier and a lot less necessary or else Civ 6 will just be Civ War.

7. MarkJohnson

MarkJohnson Chieftain

I just had the same issue with Norway trying to take Jerusalem. I seen it happening and didn't do anything for several turns, then I seen a popup on the right-side about a casus belli I could use vs France (France jumped in on the bandwagon vs Jerusalem.)

I then moved up my units with Jerusalem with maybe 10% life left. I declared the Protectorate War vs Norway and all of Norway's troops teleported out. Half into my troops. But Jerusalem was so weak Norway ran a unit it on thje next turn and captured it.

But I agree, the teleportation feels wrong. I mean, I had time to intervene. If I had been paying attention (I was DoW by 4 other civs at this time.) I could have stopped it earlier. That is if I had that Casus Belli researched already.

But I agree the City States are difficult to protect. There needs to be better and earlier ways to manipulate them.

I the AI needs to take it easy on the war weariness OP of DoW when they are across the map. I mean 2 DoW then 2 more 5 turns later, then two had DoW on Jerusalem. Norway probably bribed a Joint war with the first 2 civ, then France probably did the same thing with the second 2 civs.

My city was collapsing so fast, and the game makes me wait 10 turns to make peace. What a PIA.

8. Victoria

Victoria Regina Supporter

To me it's not a problem currently because diplomacy is fairly useless, just get your troops there ASAP and once on top of the civ, surprise war them.
    When diplomacy is of more value again then sure a CB with 0 WM is great and can be extended.

9. MarkJohnson

MarkJohnson Chieftain

I am finding diplomacy is much more important in this game. It's better for spying as you get more info from better diplomacy, as well as, it is factored into tourism and help with a cultural victory.

The CB was very helpful. After the AI ganging up on me and giving me a ton on WW causing revolt and barbs in my city, it was nice having a zero WW DoW I would have otherwise had to lose Jerusalem.

Also, does anyone know how long this zero WW lasts on this CB? And liberating Jerusalem will reduce my WW iirc. This would be a double bonus to get my city back to normal, if that is how it actually works.

10. Archon_Wing

Archon_Wing Vote for me or die

I never protectorate war. It's too half assed. When they attack like that, their army is in a bad position, and vulnerable to attack from the flank, meaning if you are going to destroy their army, that means you can take their cities too. Why would you spend all the hammers on a good army just to declare war for a singular purpose that still earns you warmonger penalties? If you want to do that, just physically block it with a bunch of obsolete units that cost little maintenance and /or missionaries so they cannot reach the city center. You don't need a war.

Do a joint war and destroy their army, liberating the city state for a good bonus and then annex their best cities.

You will keep an ally with your partner who will not really care what you do and the liberation bonus will help you with everyone else. A protectorate war does a little of each, and ends up achieving nothing.

Yea, you lose envoys, but in reality 6 envoys isn't really that hard to get back, especially when you gain multiple cities. If anything you will probably gain extra culture and just run faster to grab gunboat diplomacy. Of course, this tactic is even better when you're not the suzerain, and near ideal.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2017
  11. Victoria

Victoria Regina Supporter

I'm looking into WW now, I did not realise you got WW based on the Casus type! That' makes sense also, I'll do some testing to ensure it works that way for all CB then update the WW thread (see my signature for link)
    To anwer your question, WW is done on a per civ basis, while your CBis in place the WW with that civ will be 0. The WW with another civ will be based on that war declaration type.
    I'm still not 100% on it all but getting there, if anything is incorrect I'll pop back in here and update.