A bunch of new articles (Eurogamer, Joystiq, Kotaku) (August, 5th, 2010)

The Kotaku preview suggests that the rocket to Alpha Centauri and the UN are still both methods of winning... Did he not get the memo that they're out, or does he just not know what he's talking about?

You should forward that memo to Firaxis. I don't think they got that one either.

Oh, my bad. I thought I read somewhere that AC had been replaced with that Utopia project.

Unfortunately I've just read a Czech first-impressions article and was pretty negative - complaining about "drastical simplification of the game".

Namely:

- lack of graphs and detailed data about other civilizations so you don't know how to behave - no info about leaders' attitude, mood, philosophy,

- simplified diplomacy "without maps", reasearch too easy (because you can easily research it with another civilization without any consideration to it's actual tech-progress) which leads to absence of thrilling technological races,

- no central administration of states money but on the contrary need to manually adjust each single city's money-policy

- and about civilian units changing automatically into ships: "they can travel to the second end of the world if necessary".

One thing they've praised was a combat system but to be honest, I am pretty worried about the game now. :( but who knows if the article isn't too exaggerated

czech source here: http://pc.hrej.cz/preview/prvni-dojmy-z-civilization-v-3215/

I would guess that he and most other previewers play on a very easy difficult level and therefore the research would be easy. And if you research together with someone both gets the tech and that might not be something that you want... (only if you are worse in researching than the other)

The money thing doesent sound so bad, I like to go in my cities and manage them :)

And I cant imagine that civilian units will be able to embark into water and go over oceans in early game.

With these reviews and the revealved community features; I'm really starting to fear the simplification of CiV.
Glad I didn't pre-order yet, going to wait for the demo and then see if it's a worthy successor... I can always keep playing Civ 4 with all its mods if it isn't; no need to sponsor 2k/Firaxis for ruining the best franchise in PC-gaming.

They want Civ 5 to be different and not a rehash of Civ IV.

As with any game, I have to experience it myself to really judge it. All these previews and some wildly different impressions - so really, the previewers aren't much different from players other than they have access right now and we don't.

My friends (who have pre-ordered), are going to HATE not being able to rename cites.

Unfortunately I've just read a Czech first-impressions article and was pretty negative - complaining about "drastical simplification of the game".

Namely:

- lack of graphs and detailed data about other civilizations so you don't know how to behave - no info about leaders' attitude, mood, philosophy,

- simplified diplomacy "without maps", reasearch too easy (because you can easily research it with another civilization without any consideration to it's actual tech-progress) which leads to absence of thrilling technological races,

- no central administration of states money but on the contrary need to manually adjust each single city's money-policy

- and about civilian units changing automatically into ships: "they can travel to the second end of the world if necessary".

One thing they've praised was a combat system but to be honest, I am pretty worried about the game now. :( but who knows if the article isn't too exaggerated

czech source here: http://pc.hrej.cz/preview/prvni-dojmy-z-civilization-v-3215/

Welcome to CF! :)

Hm, reading these above points only, I wouldn't say the game is bad in any ways...
I have to see the game as a whole, a complex mechanic...

Top Bottom