1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

A call to artistsabout hexagons

Discussion in 'Civ3 - Creation & Customization' started by Steph, Feb 20, 2010.

1. Steph

Steph Multi Many Tasks man Retired Moderator

I have started to change my animation editor to support hexagons.

Here is a preview.

The units should be aligned with the green lines (they join the middle of the opposing edge, and so a unit would follow this line when moving from an hexagon from another).

I think that for infantry and cavalry, the alignment is quite close, and I should be able to reuse existing graphics with a simple conversion.

Even for the ship, the difference is not so big.

Sure, it would be better to have units specially made with the correct orientation, but I think here we are close enough to make it usable.

2. Takhisis

Takhisis spells laser with an s

Will the units have animations running along the yellow lines as well, for when you shoot at far tiles?

3. Steph

I agree it may be nice when firing far away.

With new animations it would be possible, but with default 8 orientations I can have only E and W, I'd need 4 new ones.

The yellow lines are here mostly to define "sectors", useful for instance to click with the mouse when placing a cliff (the cliff is place in the edge corresponding to the sector you click)

4. Takhisis

but those would only have to be used for ranged units, amirite?

5. Steph

Wondering if I'm still working on this project?

As you can see, the drawing of the base map is working... But I'd need some artists to make better graphics!

6. imperator1961

imperator1961 Last of the Mohicans

Well Steph, if in your game the units are a little big that in CivIII and no 256color palette I will re-made all my units if necessaty. I like very much your project!

7. Steph

For infantry and cavalry, I plan to use the same size. The hexagons are bigger, so the units could be bigger, but as I want to use formation, I need to keep infantry and cavalry the same size.

However, for artillery, I won't use multi units formation, especially with units such as yours, which already have multiple figures. So yes, if you want to redo your units , keeping the same scale for artillerymen as for infantry, but with a little more room for animation, you could! Including, why note, 12 orientations for long range artillery.

8. Steph

A new update, showing the basic of the principle of altitude. Of course, graphics are just placeholders here, I'd need proper slopes with nice textures.

9. Steph

The same principle can be used to create depression, with an altitude lower than the surrounding terrain.

For water tiles, it may be used to have a kind of subaquatic relief, may be interesting for some resources or for ships.

Although a hole in the middle of the ocean or sea can look a little strange :).

10. WildWeazel

WildWeazel -- Turns to Completion

How high can the altitude go? Would it be possible to block the view of the tile behind it?
    Also will there be different types of slopes, ie hills that can be climbed vs cliffs that block movement?

11. Steph

For the moment, I have use graphics with 6 "strips", each is 8 pixels high and correspond to one altitude level.

In theory, there is no real limit, but to avoid hiding what is behind, I think there shouldn't be more than 5 or 6 levels between two adjacent tiles.

For the moment, this is just basic altitude definition, with very simple graphics. I plan to add transition between two hexes then, each direction will be independant, and can be different, ie one can be cliff while another is a slope.

But of course, this would require some proper graphics.

12. Redback

Redback King

I like it very mutch! Keep up the good work!!

13. Takhisis

Maybe spoilering or thumbnailing those pics in the future would help ;).
    There's a terrain thread in the workshop forum, I posted one or two requests of data I had there so that I could begin doing stuff.

14. Steph

Data posted!

Tomorrow, I'll try to redo support for zoom, and clean the engine from old stuff I did for square based grid, and which are not needed for hexagons.

After that, I'll start working on transition.

15. imperator1961

imperator1961 Last of the Mohicans

My new artillery units have the same size of infantry and cavalry. But I dont'understand the 12 directions for long range artillery. What do you intend?

16. Steph

Yes, same size, but with bigger hexagon, it will be easier to fit animation with several crewmen in the hexagon. Think about your first Napoleonic artillery that were outside of the square. They would fit in my hexagon I think. Moreover, with square, it's difficult to have something fitting in every direction (as the N and S are ending in a point, while SW is not). With hexagon, you don't have this problem.

About the direction:

For the normal animation, you just need 6 directions, aligned with the green line. However, it would be possible to have 6 additional directions, aligned with the yellow line. This way, if you shoot with a range of one hex, you can always use the green line and be perfectly aligned with the target. But if you fire with a range of two, you could use the yellow lines to be better aligned half of the case.

For an example, imagine in my latest screenshot of the grid, you have a gun in (2;3) the small grass hiil on the left of the islands, and you want to shoot at (1;4), the ocean tile south west of it.

17. Steph

I have changed a little the way the zoom is working. To get nicer result, it is necessary to prerender each of map graphics at different scale.
    Then, they have to be placed in the graphics folder, with exactly the same name as the main graphics, in subfolders corresponding to the scale.

This is because my engine is allowing "variation". Imagine you want to make a sea graphics, with some reef inside. You decide to make 2 variations (different reef placement for more variety of the map).

You would place them in

Sea\FullTile
    - Reef1.png
    - Reef2.png

Then, for the zoom, you would end with

Sea
    -- FullTile
    ---- Reef1.png
    ---- Reef2.png
    ------ Reef1.png
    ------ Reef2.png
    ------ Reef1.png
    ------ Reef2.png
    ------ Reef1.png
    ------ Reef2.png
    ------ Reef1.png
    ------ Reef2.png

Then, the engine will manage alone to get the variation, and to use the proper zoom.

It means more work for the artist, but it's not very complicated. And this allows two things:
    - The edge of the graphics will be exactly as it should, and it will tile better
    - You can change a little the graphics for each scale. For instance, a city can be made of several buildings at scale 1, but at scale 16, it can be just a dot.

18. Steph

Here are some new screens, with different scale.

This is at nominal scale (scale 1), 256x128

Spoiler :

This is at scale 2 (50%), 128x64

Spoiler :

This is at scale 4 (25%), 64x32

Spoiler :

This is at scale 8 (12.5%), 32x16. You can notice that at this scale, the coordinates are no longer displayed.

Spoiler :

This is at scale 16 (6.25%), 16x8. You can notice that at this scale, the relief is no longer visible : this is for a large view of the map. The units and cities will also not be visible here.

You can also see what happens if a graphic is missing. Here, I forgot to save the ocean graphics for this scale. Instead of crashing, or displaying a message like "'a file is missing the game will now exit", well, the engine simply ignores the graphics and doesn't display it (so you can see the cyan backgrond).

Spoiler :

19. Steph

A first attempt at making transition, between two lands at the same altitude.

It uses very quick graphics, but it works :).

Spoiler :

20. WildWeazel

WildWeazel -- Turns to Completion

Is the grassland extending beyond its own tiles, or is that the base layer beneath the other terrain types?