1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

A call to artistsabout hexagons

Discussion in 'Civ3 - Creation & Customization' started by Steph, Feb 20, 2010.

1. Steph

Steph Multi Many Tasks man Retired Moderator

Everything is PNG. I can use true colour, and full alpha transparency.
    But if you only have a simple program, you could also simply make 256 colour png, and use pure magenta as background : it will be considered transparent as well.

2. Goldflash

Goldflash Grumpy Old Man

Oh hey you guys! There is this new game coming out today that has hexagons in it!

3. tom2050

tom2050 Deity

Yea, Firaxis was about 10 years late on the hexagon thing. Better extremely extremely late than never though!

Steph, I can give you a hand, but is there a way to test graphics on it without having to send them back and forth, etc... in other words, I make a graphic, then test to see how it looks on my end while it is being created. Otherwise, it would be a lengthy thing having to constantly send and wait.

From the sounds of it, with enough variations no terrain would ever look the same.

4. Takhisis

Takhisis april's fool

That would come in handy.
    Which is precisely why I want to have a go at it too. Wait for me! It's only two more days 'til freedom!!

5. Steph

People ready to help can contact me by email, I can send a test game, and the test graphics to help get you started.

For the moment it's relatively simple : I just need to have some nice textures for base terrain (grass, desert, tundra, ocean, etc), and you can make some variations, but they are just full hexagons (no need to worry for more).

And then I need nice coasts. I'd like to get at least two, with some sandy coasts like what I did, and some cliffs would be very nice.

I have some old samples from the square engine to give an idea of the result.

If I know some are working in this, then I can stop wasting time with that and work on transition between tiles, and then slopes.

About slope, I have another idea, but I don't know how practical it is.

I can now combine two textures.

So what if there was a kind of grey and wide slope graphics, to shnow the relief, that could be combined with the basic grass/desert, etc texture? It could greatly simplify things.

Also, since the system allows several type of terrain (as many as you want to add), there's no problem if two artists want to work on the "same" thing. If it's really similar, it good gives more variations, and if it's too different, it can just be another type of terrain.

6. Takhisis

Takhisis april's fool

Can do. At least I can 'borrow' from Transport Tycoon (it's open source) and use those as a starting point.

7. timerover51

timerover51 Deity

If someone has some of the old Avalon Hill games like Panzerblitz or Panzer Leader or similar, you could scan those in for some initial terrain, as those are hexagon based. Hasbro is not worried about those copyrights at all.

8. Goldflash

Goldflash Grumpy Old Man

Actually, the reason why Civ is only getting hexes now is because Sid wanted to distance Civ from the big, clunky hex based table top war games. Now that no one (except Steph) plays those thing anymore, Firaxis moved to the Hex. It is all in an interview I read somewhere....

9. Steph

I'm sure Timerover at least also play these games.

10. Goldflash

Goldflash Grumpy Old Man

Wouldn't know a joke .... on the nose...

11. Kyriakos

Kyriakos Alien spiral maker

For civ5 it was not a catastrophic idea to move to hexes, since there will be people to mod it.
    But for a new, independant game, im not sure. If you had used squares by now you would have had your test terrain ready.

Also all of the units have to be rendered again at some directions. Why exactly did you choose hexes, knowing all these negative effects of them?

12. Steph

On the opposite. It would be a good idea if I want to keep the same mechanism as civ.

If I want to do some other things, like use different altitude, independant side for tiles (ie beach coast on the south, cliff on the south east), I cannot use civ graphics.

So I need new graphica anyway, and using hexes actually solves a lot of problem, because with squares, the difference between a side and a corner makes things actually a lot more difficult.

I tried both, and I'm for the moment happy with hexes.

13. timerover51

timerover51 Deity

Not only did I play them, I got them out and used them as examples for my board game design class this past summer. I also got out my Outdoor Survival game, that also uses hexagons for one of the game development students, who was working on a way to randomize battle board hex terrain. The boy had some very good ideas, using the Titan board game battle board as his starting point.

The think that I liked most about the Panzerblitz and Panzer Leader game board was that they were geomorphic, and could be assembled in a variety of ways. Only one that was a problem was the Panzer Leader board for the D-Day scenario, as the English Channel took up long side of one whole board.

Steph, would it be worth while me trying to scan in some of the boards for you, as they are already set for the hex system? It would have to be this weekend at the earliest, as I will be in meetings tomorrow.

14. Takhisis

Takhisis april's fool

Quickie thought on importing stuff from Open TTD: The game has inclines and such (even for water tiles) so that could help :)

15. Steph

I'm used to this system, as an old Advanced Squad Leader player.

I never played Panzerblitz; but fromwhat I can seefrom images available on the net, they are top view, while I'll need some kind of perspective.
    Beside, my engine using some tiles which are assembled, small image by small image, I'm not sure it's compatible.

Not much since it is squared based.

What would be nice is a free 3D tool, where could easily model a kind of plane and apply a texture. That would be enough.

For instance, make a top view, draw a line cutting the hex in two (the bottom of a cliff), use a kind of extrusion to make a "vertical wall", not necessarilly a straight one, apply a texture, change the camera to match my perspective, export and do some postwork.

16. timerover51

timerover51 Deity

Sorry, Steph, I forgot about the need for perspective, as when you play the game on the computer you are looking at it from a 45º angle, rather than vertical.

17. Moosezilla

Moosezilla Grognard Warlord

Just a note:history credits defense contractor RAND corp. as first to use hexes in wargames.

18. Takhisis

Takhisis april's fool

My mother would like to point out that as you're not even forty you don't qualify as 'old' because that would make her 'older'.
    That can be fixed, but the textures might be extractable and redeployable.
    Blender's the tool, and I'm the man. As the forums are routinely timing out on me (blasted civ5, it's getting me very irritated) I suggest you look me up on MSN or email me (IM address and/or the forum's listed email, whichever) and we start working things out.

19. Steph

I tried to use Google Sketch up today, it's almost enough, except I can't apply texture as I want.

But at least, I think I could use it if needed to better explain what kind of graphics I want if I can't explain it well enough with words.

20. tom2050

tom2050 Deity

So you have altitude in your game? would the graphics need to be specific to the altitude changes? In Blender or 3ds, I suppose it would be fairly simple to just setup a 'base file' with a hexagon in it, at which texture could easily be put on it. and slopes or cliffs could be build on top of the hex.

The base file would just have to correspond to the example hex images you have displayed already, so the render would exactly correspond to your hex.