1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

A call to artistsabout hexagons

Discussion in 'Civ3 - Creation & Customization' started by Steph, Feb 20, 2010.

1. Steph

Steph Multi Many Tasks man Retired Moderator

I have altitude, and the texture does not need to change with altitude. I will just offset the graphics up or down
    However, I'll need a small "independant" small graphics for the slope, one graphic for every side of the hex.
    I may actually need more than one, one for each altitude difference between two tiles (probably with a limit : like no more than 3 altitude difference).

This is for the base altitude. I also plan to have real hill/mountain hexagon.

2. Steph

Here is a preview of the altitude + coast.

I have finished to program this part, now I need nice slope graphics to replace the green placeholders.

I will try to make something from another game. Probably not very nice, but it will give a better idea of what to expect.

3. timerover51

timerover51 Deity

Steph, I like how it is looking.

4. Steph

Hoppefully it will be even better with real graphics for slopes, and when I will have added vegetation, hills, mountains, etc.

And rivers. I may have two types : standard rivers, on the edge of the hexagon, and major rivers, crossing the middle of the hexagon. I'm not sure about this one, because the units may look strange if they have their feet in the middle of the river.

5. Takhisis

Takhisis april's fool

Maybe there could be a special 'river' tile… otherwise I say you could use the transition zone on both sides of the river path to create the river graphics.

6. Kyriakos

Kyriakos Alien spiral maker

These tiles look utterly massive. It might be hard to create good quality gfx for such a size.

7. Steph

Why? Shouldn't it be easier with bigger tiles where you can fit more pixels?

8. Takhisis

Takhisis april's fool

Yes and no. In civ3 you can get away with missing some details because the scale is small enough that they're unnoticeable. If you zoom in on some of the .pcx files you can notice some inconsistencies.

9. Kyriakos

For me it would be very difficult to fill all that space with high quality gfx. Also i think that the variations would look a lot better if the tile was half that size. Would it be too hard to make them 1/2 of the size you use now?

I am very aware of the pixels in my work, and think that although most other people do not notice, they are very crucial in how the graphic looks. And in this size i would have to make something considerably bigger, and bigger= a lot more work if it is to be of the same detail. ;)

10. Takhisis

Takhisis april's fool

Well, the poin is that cities might actually have more than one temple, another random building and some walls. They might actually have buildings and stuff if you leave the space there. You can zoom out anyway, Steph's already said that that is only the highest level of z<zoom possible.

11. Steph

Yes, this is the highest zoom level, where units will be in formation (4x3), the cities can have several buildings.
    And the space at the edge of the hexagon, where rivers, slopes; coast; etc will be in big enough to have some variation.
    If I make it smaller, there will not be enough room to move the coast a little, they will be more like a straight line.

12. Virote_Considon

Virote_Considon The Great Dictator

You know, just because the tiles themselves are big, it doesn't mean the graphics on them have to take up the whole tile, or even come close.

13. Steph

That's right, the tiles are big to allow several graphics to stay in it, like a mountain in the center with river on the edge.

14. Kyriakos

Well the mountain and river are graphics too, so again you need some work there :)

But i would like to see a pic of the map you ussually play in, not the one with the tactical battles. Maybe the smaller size will be more easy to work with.

15. Virote_Considon

Virote_Considon The Great Dictator

From what I gather, there will be no difference in tile size between the tactical and strategic maps.

16. Steph

yes, same mechanism.

And probably same graphics.

If I can get two different graphics set I'll use them, but asI have difficulty to get one, I doubt I can get two!

But in theory, I could add anything I want, including different graphics for battle / strategy... Or even siege with walls and towers build from independant components.

17. Zefyrinus

Zefyrinus Regent

There's gonna be an editor, right? Can I make a suggestion then that would make map modding so much easier? See, it would be great if one could specify a background image that's shown in the editor, and that one could make all the terrain hexes partially transparent (while still in the editor). The background image would show through the hexes, meaning that you could paint the terrain on top of the image. This would be really convenient when you want to copy some terrain from the real world, because you could just specify some real world map that you have, as the background image.

18. Steph

That could be an interesting idea, but the scale won't match.

Imagine you want to make a 100x100 hexagons map using this method.

The picture you need in the background as reference would be 128x100 pixels wide, ie 12,800 pixels!

I think it is better to use a converted, turning a real world image into a map, that you can tweak after.

19. Zefyrinus

Zefyrinus Regent

So just scale it up...?

20. Steph

I had no thought about it. I'm not sure it would work very well, but I could try later.